Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do you guys with cats cool off baked goods? I’ve given up trying to get my cat to not get on the countertops and it’s just not working, and instead i sanitize and wipe down my surfaces before cooking. My cat doesn’t get up onto them when I’m there actively preparing stuff but leaving cookies or cakes out on a rack to cook is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Could you confine the cat to a room for a little bit while the stuff cools? I feel like no other option will outsmart a cat besides putting the cookies, etc. in a second, not in use, oven

E. Don’t put the cat in oven tho

E2. I feel like a cat would push a box off a counter just as easily as a rack, but other posters have potential solutions

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 1, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

1redflag posted:

Could you confine the cat to a room for a little bit while the stuff cools? I feel like no other option will outsmart a cat besides putting the cookies, etc. in a second, not in use, oven

E. Don’t put the cat in oven tho

I was thinking more like covers or boxes meant do this stuff … but I suppose those large storage boxes from Home Depot might work too?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
pie safe

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Ultra Carp
I don't have an actual, working solution to the cat theft issue but I have been considering a large breadbox

These look like what we need

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Feed the cat before stuff comes out of the oven so they go into a food coma while it cools.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Inside microwave (after it has cooled a bit so it doesn't steam itself) or on a tall shelf works for us

Aluminum foil works in general! It's annoying to keep on the counter every day, but if you have something in particular to protect, it works great.

Note some of the clips here are abuse, so please use your judgment. Cats are assholes but don't toy with them for your amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haf1OJWk-T0

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

Inside microwave (after it has cooled a bit so it doesn't steam itself) or on a tall shelf works for us

Aluminum foil works in general! It's annoying to keep on the counter every day, but if you have something in particular to protect, it works great.

Note some of the clips here are abuse, so please use your judgment. Cats are assholes but don't toy with them for your amusement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haf1OJWk-T0

Aluminum foil does nothing except waste a bunch of foil, and doublesided tape does nothing either and just just steps all over them. Feeding her before taking stuff out of the oven also doesn’t work because she has like 5 impossibly sized stomachs and will just show up out of no where to smell what she thinks I’m cooking for her. Microwave idea sounds great as long as I can co it before putting it in. There are no counters high enough in the kitchen that she can’t get onto. Zero. The joys of owning a cat.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Can you put a colander over it? Or will she bat at it until the whole thing has been knocked off the counter?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
kind of think we're overthinking this. is it impossible to just put them in another room? in a cupboard? on top of the fridge?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
"No kiiteh, that's my pot pie!"

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Boris Galerkin posted:

Aluminum foil does nothing except waste a bunch of foil, and doublesided tape does nothing either and just just steps all over them. Feeding her before taking stuff out of the oven also doesn’t work because she has like 5 impossibly sized stomachs and will just show up out of no where to smell what she thinks I’m cooking for her. Microwave idea sounds great as long as I can co it before putting it in. There are no counters high enough in the kitchen that she can’t get onto. Zero. The joys of owning a cat.

Let me know what works, and especially if you can stop a cat from waking you up at 5 am by destroying progressively more expensive upholstery.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

kind of think we're overthinking this. is it impossible to just put them in another room? in a cupboard? on top of the fridge?

Another room is a good idea, but they’ll just jump off the fridge and locking them in the cupboard seems mean.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Growing up with cats, it was not uncommon to come across cookies or similar cooling in the hallway closet, happily making our coats smell like baked goods.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Have you tried reverse psychology on the cat?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Another room is a good idea, but they’ll just jump off the fridge and locking them in the cupboard seems mean.

time to electrify the countertops then

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Have we tried making a decoy pan of baked goods for the cat to ruin while you put the real stuff in the trunk of your car?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is anybody else finding that mason jars are impossible to find

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Steve Yun posted:

Yes. As soon as the pandemic started they sold out everywhere. Stupid expensive online now.

Your best bet may be hardware stores.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mediaphage posted:

time to electrify the countertops then

https://store.petsafe.net/scatmat-pet-proofing-mats

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i need one of these to put my cheese on so i stop eating so much of it

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

bamhand posted:

Can you put a colander over it? Or will she bat at it until the whole thing has been knocked off the counter?

Colanders don’t work because she can smell it and yes will knock it down.

mediaphage posted:

If you mean put the food on top of the fridge, let’s just say I’ve seen my cat jump on top of doors before. I don’t really have any ventilated cupboards but I guess we do have a laundry room. That might be the best idea actually.

BrianBoitano posted:

Let me know what works, and especially if you can stop a cat from waking you up at 5 am by destroying progressively more expensive upholstery.

I am very lucky that my cat doesn’t do this. She’s a sweetheart and just lays at my feet until I get up. She’s never woken me up before :3:.

Subjunctive posted:

Growing up with cats, it was not uncommon to come across cookies or similar cooling in the hallway closet, happily making our coats smell like baked goods.

My room is her safe room or whatever cause everything she steals she brings in here. Like donuts, an entire loaf of bread, a live mouse.

Steve Yun posted:

I just bought a box of them this weekend from Target. They had shelves of them. Download and check out their app for stock, it’s generally pretty accurate. And they have hands down the best drive-up service in that they don’t overcharge you and it’s free and there’s no minimums. I’ve driven to pick up a $1.50 pack of yeast before. Just park in the place, show them your phone through the window and pop open your trunk. No need to actually interact with anyone.

I’m looking at you Publix :argh: where the drive up stock is both limited, and has a markup, and also has an order minimum.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Laundry basket turned over with something heavy on top of it?

EDIT: or something heavy on top of the collander?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 3, 2021

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
pie safe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i think the laundry room is for the best. and if you made room in a double sized cabinet i think they’d be fine, too; i doubt they’d steam in a volume that size.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
put a cucumber next to the pie

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Are there any nonstick pans that actually survive the dishwasher? Mine are ostensibly dishwashable but the coating has worn off substantially and I am concerned about what is getting into my food.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Are there any nonstick pans that actually survive the dishwasher? Mine are ostensibly dishwashable but the coating has worn off substantially and I am concerned about what is getting into my food.

non-stick pans are disposable. all fail at some point, and you should just get used to the idea of buying a new one periodically.

with that said i use pretty much only the ceramic nonstick pans at this point, and they do pretty well. don't use on super high heat, etc.

also most nonstick pans should be pretty easy to clean without a dishwasher. worst case, sit it in the sink with a little sodium percarbonate or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have thrown those titanium tfal pans with the red dot into the dishwasher. Also used metal utensils on it too. The box said I could do both. And even though the handles are rubber it says it can go into the oven up to some hot temperature too. I only had them for half a year before giving them away though (moving). Not really sure what the nonstick coating was, whether it was some kind of Teflon or if it was actual titanium which I kinda doubt cause they were only about €30-€40 for two.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I bought a ~Blue Diamond~ ceramic egg pan from a local store because it was $20 and that was impulse buy range for me. It's doing great after probably 10 dishwasher cycles since Christmas with no degradation. Not long enough to say for sure it'll last but promising start. The only gripe I have is that the handle is thin aluminum and gets hot easily.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I toss my tramontina in the dishwasher all the time. Not because washing it by hand is hard, but because putting it in the dishwasher is easy. It's shown no degradation at all, but if and when it does, it's a cheap replacement.

Also, it's been the absolute best nonstick pan ive owned. Non-stickier than any others, and has held up perfectly.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I toss my tramontina in the dishwasher all the time. Not because washing it by hand is hard, but because putting it in the dishwasher is easy. It's shown no degradation at all, but if and when it does, it's a cheap replacement.

Also, it's been the absolute best nonstick pan ive owned. Non-stickier than any others, and has held up perfectly.

Same, really loved mine for the couple years I've had it and there's no obvious signs of it breaking down yet despite occasional dishwasher cycles. One of the few pans where I'll go out of my way to buy the exact same one when it does get messed up.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

eke out posted:

Same, really loved mine for the couple years I've had it and there's no obvious signs of it breaking down yet despite occasional dishwasher cycles. One of the few pans where I'll go out of my way to buy the exact same one when it does get messed up.

Yep, every couple of years someone will be "helping" and scratch it and it'll start to break down from there, at which point it just gets replaced.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
If you can’t run water in your nonstick and wipe it clean with a paper towel then it’s not nonstick anymore imo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why wouldn't you just use the soft side of a sponge and some soap? Is that bad for it?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

why do people put knives in the dishwasher?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

there are also undoubtedly edge cases where it might be easier for a differently abled person to use a dishwasher vs hand washing something.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The dishwasher saves water and time. We have to run it twice a day anyhow due to baby bottles, and time is at an ultra premium.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you’re not wrong but a decent nonstick skillet can probably be mostly rinsed off and wiped with a paper towel in hardly more time than it takes to put the pan in the dishwasher. if stuff can’t be wiped out it’s either time for a new pan or you’re using it wrong.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Misen is hit or miss in general, but I really like their nonstick range. they're heavy and the stuff is durable.

no idea about dishwashing, though. maybe if you used a detergent that was strictly enzymatic (rather than enzymes plus grit)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Stop being wasteful and use cookware that lasts. Carbon steel or cast iron can handle fish or eggs.