Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Medullah posted:

I know you probably know but I have to say "you know that's long past End of Life", right? I know it's common sense but I work with multi billion dollar companies that are still on 2008 and come audit time are shocked, SHOCKED to find out their software is obsolete. :D

Haha yeah. I need this so I can stand up a test box to try out a few different replication and migration scenarios without impacting prod. If I was here prior to the 2K8 EoL we wouldn't be in this situation, but unfortunately I'm just dealing with what I've inherited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

LiterallyAnything posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know where I can get an .iso of SQL Server 2008 R2? I have a license, but for the life of me I can't find the aqctual media ANYWHERE.

Anyone with MSDN can download it.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

No it didn’t. I just put the computer to sleep now instead :shrug:

I wonder if it's rainmeter or epic games store or GOGgalaxy or something?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Narzack posted:

I wonder if it's rainmeter or epic games store or GOGgalaxy or something?

It could be EGS but I couldn’t find a way for windows to actually say what was causing it.

Everyone in this thread just said screensavers are dumb and just let the monitor sleep lol.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MarcusSA posted:

Everyone in this thread just said screensavers are dumb and just let the monitor sleep lol.

Doesn't work on my HTPC hooked up to a television. :colbert:

Mine sometimes keeps the monitor from sleeping, too!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Uthor posted:

Doesn't work on my HTPC hooked up to a television. :colbert:

Mine sometimes keeps the monitor from sleeping, too!

I have the exact same issue which is why I just sleep the computer now.

Nothing I tried told me what was preventing the monitor from sleeping or the screen saver from going on.

It would be nice if it was reliable but I guess not lol.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MarcusSA posted:

Nothing I tried told me what was preventing the monitor from sleeping or the screen saver from going on.

Same, but I also randomly have it wake up and stay awake. Both problems come and go with no obvious pattern. Windows gonna windows, I guess.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

~Coxy posted:

Anyone with MSDN can download it.

Yeah, absolutely. The unfortunate reality though is not every business is going to shell out the money for MSDN subscriptions, especially non-IT-related businesses.

At this point I'm just going to buy a CD off of ebay because I can't risk using some rando .iso from a torrent site.

VVV Ah yeah, good point. VVV

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 4, 2021

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

LiterallyAnything posted:

Yeah, absolutely. The unfortunate reality though is not every business is going to shell out the money for MSDN subscriptions, especially non-IT-related businesses.

At this point I'm just going to buy a CD off of ebay because I can't risk using some rando .iso from a torrent site.

All you need are the SHA256 hashes of the ISO from a reputable source - if you have that, you can get the ISO from wherever as long as it matches. Perhaps MS lists them online, or someone here with a subscription can get them for you?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

This is such a perplexing issue, and, like you said, there is no answer online. I don't like to put my computer to sleep, because I have to keep it in a very cold part of the house and if my monitor turns off for a long time, it takes almost an hour to turn back on in the cold. It's just so very weird.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

There's probably a big list somewhere that I haven't spent enough time looking for or maybe a better place to ask but do you guys have suggestions for a solid pdf editor? I don't know if I want to spend Adobe level money on it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
So I have a bit of an edge case. I want to use my Keyboard and Mouse over the network on my laptop. Obviously I looked at Barrier (Synergy) for this, but there is a bit of a caveat. I want to display my laptop on my third monitor (switched), meaning that all the tools I tried, require me to go Right, across the (now hidden) monitor and only then appears on my screen.
All the tools I have looked at seem to ignore the aspect of physical monitors on the host machine, but I'd really like to just be able to start the tool ,change the input and go. When I am not using my laptop, I don't need the tool anyway.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

MarcusSA posted:

I hate those responses. Instead of an answer you get "do something else". Just don't say anything if you can't help.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TheLawinator posted:

There's probably a big list somewhere that I haven't spent enough time looking for or maybe a better place to ask but do you guys have suggestions for a solid pdf editor? I don't know if I want to spend Adobe level money on it.

What are you looking to do? Markup? Lay out your own desktop publishing works? Affinity Publisher is on 50% off, but that’s the creative end of things, not corporate/commercial use or mass tagging or whatever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

I think there's someone selling acrobat pro licenses in sa mart for fairly cheap.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

So I have a bit of an edge case. I want to use my Keyboard and Mouse over the network on my laptop. Obviously I looked at Barrier (Synergy) for this, but there is a bit of a caveat. I want to display my laptop on my third monitor (switched), meaning that all the tools I tried, require me to go Right, across the (now hidden) monitor and only then appears on my screen.
All the tools I have looked at seem to ignore the aspect of physical monitors on the host machine, but I'd really like to just be able to start the tool ,change the input and go. When I am not using my laptop, I don't need the tool anyway.

Assuming you just need the laptop to be accessible while you use a different computer: Can you just RDP into the laptop? The latency for RDP over a local ethernet connection is extremely low.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

So basically you should probably either do one of these things?
1) disable the monitor while barrier is running, possibly by using a script which disables the monitor, runs barrier, and then undisables the monitor when barrier exists, or
2) see if you can control the monitor input over hdmi and if you can, just use a hotkey to switch the input and disable to the monitor or something

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone have a recommendation for a Putty SSH terminal replacement?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

What's wrong with the one built into Windows?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Less Fat Luke posted:

win10 has ssh on the command line now

grab windows terminal and you can ssh with tabs

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Thanks I'll check that out. Seems like it's on the Microsoft store and I didn't think to check there :)

Edit: The settings option for Windows Terminal opens a JSON file to edit, so this doesn't seem like any leap ahead of putty honestly (was trying to get away from registry editing to apply themes)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Less Fat Luke posted:

Edit: The settings option for Windows Terminal opens a JSON file to edit, so this doesn't seem like any leap ahead of putty honestly (was trying to get away from registry editing to apply themes)

if you're spending enough time in ssh to want themes, editing a json should be a very simple task

there are lots of premade themes to copy and paste

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
New Terminal Preview has a settings UI: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-terminal-preview-1-6-release/

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Klyith posted:

if you're spending enough time in ssh to want themes, editing a json should be a very simple task

there are lots of premade themes to copy and paste
I'm not really, I do most of my work under Linux and MacOS and occasionally SSH from Windows but I'll take a look at this and the preview version. Thanks!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Narzack posted:

Do you guys know what some common reasons why a screen saver won't activate? It was working fine until yesterday.

Does it work if you start it manually, or is only the automatic start that won't work? What happens instead (nothing, screen turns off, etc)?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheLawinator posted:

From expensive to cheap:
Abby FineReader PDF
Foxit Phantom PDF
Master PDF Editor
PixelPlanet PdfEditor
PDF-XChange Editor

If you want something cheap, PDF-XChange is pretty good.

Honorable free mentions: NAPS2 (for reordering/adding pages) and LibreOffice Draw (for editing)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Factor Mystic posted:

Does it work if you start it manually, or is only the automatic start that won't work? What happens instead (nothing, screen turns off, etc)?

For me ( it’s probably the same for them) it will start manually and stay on it won’t automatically start.

The screen will go to sleep eventually (like 90% of the time).

I just want to have the screen saver work properly so that I can remote into the system. Like if the screen is off my RDP just shows a black screen for whatever reason.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

For me ( it’s probably the same for them) it will start manually and stay on it won’t automatically start.

The screen will go to sleep eventually (like 90% of the time).

I just want to have the screen saver work properly so that I can remote into the system. Like if the screen is off my RDP just shows a black screen for whatever reason.

Yes, the same. Although I've changed my power settings, because I don't want my computer to go to sleep. I've always liked screen savers, too, so it's kind of a bummer. Especially when you find a cool one like electric sheep

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Narzack posted:

Yes, the same. Although I've changed my power settings, because I don't want my computer to go to sleep. I've always liked screen savers, too, so it's kind of a bummer. Especially when you find a cool one like electric sheep

Yeah I’d rather not sleep my computer either :shrug:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but even though we're past the upgrade cuttoff date, is it possible to upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional? (and keep all files etc)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ak Gara posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but even though we're past the upgrade cuttoff date, is it possible to upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional? (and keep all files etc)

Did you mean to say upgrade to 10 Pro?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
No I'm building a new win 10 PC but hope to continue using my old win 7 one too, but I would like to use more than 16GB of ram.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
As far as I'm aware the differences between Home and Professional are mostly licensing restrictions, so it wouldn't need to reinstall if you upgrade your license. According to a user on the Microsoft support forums, the entire thing takes all of ten minutes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 7 has been out of support for quite a while now, absolutely don't use it any longer.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ak Gara posted:

Yeah when you install windows 10, just enter your win 7 key and it should still work, then ta-da you have a win 10 license.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ak Gara posted:

No I'm building a new win 10 PC but hope to continue using my old win 7 one too, but I would like to use more than 16GB of ram.

This has nothing to do with Home vs Pro, it's whether you install the 32-bit or x64 version. 32 and 64 can't be converted without a full formal and reinstall.

(Don't keep using your 7 machine, unless you're disconnecting it from the internet and just playing old games or something.)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Klyith posted:

This has nothing to do with Home vs Pro, it's whether you install the 32-bit or x64 version. 32 and 64 can't be converted without a full formal and reinstall.
No, they're right. Win7 x64 home basic is artificially capped at 8GB, home premium at 16.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Point still stands though; you shouldn’t be running windows 7.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Flipperwaldt posted:

No, they're right. Win7 x64 home basic is artificially capped at 8GB, home premium at 16.

Wow, somehow I missed that info for the whole of 7's life. Not that having over 16gb of ram was a thing that came up often for most of 7's life.

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah, if it's being used as an "old stuff box" disconnected from the internet, the old stuff should work fine with 16gb. Heck, you don't need more than 16gb for hardly any new software. Any other purpose = use 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

Unless you use ESU Bypass, and get all the updates :c00l:

2 more years, 2 more years!

Edit: Potentially 3 more years, if a combination of a simple registry edit (like back in the XP days) combined with the bypass works, as POSready gets updates for a year longer still.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 7, 2021