Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It looks fine, I'm more interested in it now that Whedon is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a badly edited trailer with a lovely musical choice.

But I'm still excited for it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

muscles like this! posted:

This week's The Expanse: lol at how they wrote off Cas Anvar

Please elaborate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

Please elaborate.

They finish the storyline he was in and then Holden goes "he had a stroke and is now dead."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not even a funeral scene lol

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
You hear him weakly say a few garbled words over comms and then it cuts to him just silently bleeding from his nose. If I didn’t know better I’d say they just cut whatever scene was originally shot and cg faked a quick death. It really sucks for the character, but that’s the price you end up paying when the actor turns out to be a predator.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Started watching Monk, for the first time. As someone with borderline germaphobia, I can't tell if this show is going to be good or bad for me...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You hear him weakly say a few garbled words over comms and then it cuts to him just silently bleeding from his nose. If I didn’t know better I’d say they just cut whatever scene was originally shot and cg faked a quick death. It really sucks for the character, but that’s the price you end up paying when the actor turns out to be a predator.

Oh that’s absolutely what happened.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a badly edited trailer with a lovely musical choice.

But I'm still excited for it.

Yeah, I mean trailers always turn up the cheese to 11, it's not necessarily gospel

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm drunk an watching American Housewife; i'm on the second season. This is my life now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

This week's The Expanse: lol at how they wrote off Cas Anvar

loving incredible, very unintentionally hilarious. The quick wrap-up scene with Holden too like wow. Might as well have been the Poochie-scene jesus. Ahahahaha.

Dear future showrunners, just re-cast.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even Arjun got a bigger sendoff with the memorial with the names

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Golden Globes noms are out. TV ones start here:

https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status/1356968067234816001?s=21

RATCHED

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Golden Globes noms are out. TV ones start here:

https://twitter.com/goldenglobes/status/1356968067234816001?s=21

RATCHED

I mean, the only one that'll possibly win is The Crown.

Mayyyyybe Baby Yoda.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I know they were weighing combining this award season with next year's but 2020 deserves better than those nominations. Ratched? Emily in Paris? JARED LETO IN THE LITTLE THINGS??

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is going to sound like a bit but I swear it happened. My roommates were watching that new Richard Hammond Tory Bellici shipwrecked show and as I walked past the couch on my way to bed I asked them how it was. They were like, "It's pretty good but the narrator sucks. Her script is overly expository and she sounds robotic." I stopped to watch for a second and sure enough the lady says "Tory runs down the beach" at which point one of them goes, hang on...

For whatever reason the language track for English (US) had the visual description audio defaulted on and so they watched like 20 minutes of this show just stewing at how bad and unnecessary the narrator was, I was dying laughing

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Simone Magus posted:

Good cast and it's quippy super women beating up dudes in Olde England, it looks like incredibly good trashy fun to me

Man y'all cynical sometimes

yeah it looks great lol. I'm always for ladies beating people up.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

yeah it looks great lol. I'm always for ladies beating people up.

Kinda weird that the same thread that constantly recommends Banshee would think The League of Extraordinary Ladies is a bridge too far on the cheese scale :j:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well Banshee already aired. This just looks like another Joss Whedon tv failure. (Which is why he was fired so I'm actually interested in how season 2 is).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

On the bright side, that's a sudden and horrible thing that happens to lots of folks without any real closure or warning, and isn't something they often do in shows, since most writers and characters have some more dramatic and meaningful ways for folks to go out. I suppose this is a pretty dim bright side given they probably aren't trying to work in a message about sudden-unexpected-deaths like that or anything, just trying to hustle passed the dropped creep. Still, strokes are scary, that could be something.

Was trying to watch an old SNL episode and was greeted with:

quote:

Watch now with an NBCUniversal Profile
Instantly get 3 free credits to watch locked content.

Wow! Never expected to see the lovely business model from shady downloads sites and junky stock assets websites would make its way to streaming video. Won't be long before we need to log in to the peacock every day to collect our daily reward credit tokens.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 3, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really hate Cas Anvar for being a loving sexual predator because Alex was such a great character. Man, gently caress that guy for making me never want to rewatch the old seasons again.

but mostly gently caress him for being a goddamned predator.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

Kinda weird that the same thread that constantly recommends Banshee would think The League of Extraordinary Ladies is a bridge too far on the cheese scale :j:

Speaking of, wasn't there supposed to be an actual all-female League of Extraordinary Gentleman remake announced a few years ago?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I really hate Cas Anvar for being a loving sexual predator because Alex was such a great character. Man, gently caress that guy for making me never want to rewatch the old seasons again.

but mostly gently caress him for being a goddamned predator.

Sure, but have you considered that now Bobbie, the superior Martian, will get more screentime?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, but have you considered that now Bobbie, the superior Martian, will get more screentime?

I figure Peaches is going to fill out the empty spot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I hope not.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
They foreshadow that it will be Bull I think.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nate fisher posted:

They foreshadow that it will be Bull I think.

Oh I didn’t mean filling the literal role, just that she probably won’t be stuck doing PI poo poo on Mars anymore and might have a larger role now.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zoux posted:

This is going to sound like a bit but I swear it happened. My roommates were watching that new Richard Hammond Tory Bellici shipwrecked show and as I walked past the couch on my way to bed I asked them how it was. They were like, "It's pretty good but the narrator sucks. Her script is overly expository and she sounds robotic." I stopped to watch for a second and sure enough the lady says "Tory runs down the beach" at which point one of them goes, hang on...

For whatever reason the language track for English (US) had the visual description audio defaulted on and so they watched like 20 minutes of this show just stewing at how bad and unnecessary the narrator was, I was dying laughing

That's awesome

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, the only one that'll possibly win is The Crown.

Lovecraft Country seems like it's in a different league than these other stream fillers.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Does Search Party get less mean? Because holy poo poo these people are loving awful three episodes into season 1. Like, I'm down with terrible people if they're funny (HIMYM, You're the Worst, it's always Sunny, Archer) but like gently caress man. So much comedy isn't so much funny as it's, these people are loving terrible. Maybe slightly less than you, so you can both feel better about yourself and laugh, even though ever one of these people you would never want to talk to again after going on one bad date with!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

LionArcher posted:

Does Search Party get less mean? Because holy poo poo these people are loving awful three episodes into season 1. Like, I'm down with terrible people if they're funny (HIMYM, You're the Worst, it's always Sunny, Archer) but like gently caress man. So much comedy isn't so much funny as it's, these people are loving terrible. Maybe slightly less than you, so you can both feel better about yourself and laugh, even though ever one of these people you would never want to talk to again after going on one bad date with!

I recently started watching Search Party after seeing the love fest around here the last few weeks. After ~3 episodes like you I hated every character and wondered why the hell anyone likes this show - but I also heard that it starts slowly/roughly and stuck with it.

IMO It does get better and I'm 1/2 through season two and now I can at least see what everyone else likes about it but personally I'm still not sure I like it enough to keep going.

Its not afraid to go places, that's for sure.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

LionArcher posted:

Does Search Party get less mean?

Ahahahahahaha

No

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

LionArcher posted:

Granted I'm only partway through season 2, but for me the fun is that you hate all these people, and then watch them be put through hell. To be fair, they don't start going through hell until the end of S1 so you just gotta power through it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Too much good TV to power through anything anymore.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Search Party is great from jump street, but every season gets exponentially more that by S4 when you look back at S1 you're like "lol"

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I don't know about other people, but I found Search Party funny from the beginning and loved seeing all the dumb and oblivious things everyone did.

It's for sure a lot like enjoying watching Always Sunny characters or similar - they do just as many ridiculous and dumb things, it's just a slightly more realistic world where story carries across and there's more consequences to what they do.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Maybe "power through" is the wrong phrase. Season 1 isn't bad, it's just there there are a lot of moments where I was thinking "why am I watching a show about these terrible people going about their terrible lives."

And then when S1 ended and S2 started I was like "oh, this definitely hits harder because now I 'know' these people" as opposed to if the show just started with the craziness from the start

EDIT: Also with the episodes only being 22-24 minutes long they all feel really short

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 3, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That makes more sense.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

With Rectify going off Netflix on March 3, I’m trying to watch but the main actor seems so stilted, which I guess is understandable since he’s trying to adjust to life outside of prison. Is there more intrigue or drama in the first season to make one want to go past the first episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Rectify S1 is a perfect season of TV imo.

There's drama, but not much intrigue. It definitely gets better after the first episode.
Every member of the cast knocks it out of the park.

Daniel loosens up with the help of some great characters so you might like him more as it goes along.

Clayne Crawford does some great work as Teddy and Abigail Spencer as Daniel's sister is wonderful.

I was a little disappointed by how it all ended in S4 but yeah, the first couple of seasons are fantastic.

"Because I know you, because I know you, because I know you" gets me every time.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 4, 2021