Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

I don't know why everyone wants Levar so bad. He's great, but he has nothing to do with Jeopardy.

He’s well spoken and has a long history of supporting different parts of education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

packetmantis posted:

I don't know why everyone wants Levar so bad. He's great, but he has nothing to do with Jeopardy.

:psyduck:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A lot of people also have similar levels of nostalgia for Reading Rainbow in particular as they do for Jeopardy

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I wasn't that mad about the ones announced earlier but these suck rear end and how long is this poo poo supposed to go on anyway

At this rate, we're going to have Lou Dobbs and Curt Schilling as guest hosts.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So Jeopardy will become must miss television soon. :rip:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Dr. Oz had better be a single gimmick ep like Aaron Rodgers.

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 17, 2022

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

packetmantis posted:

I concur, it seems that the parts of the internet that is Jeopardy related has collectively decided he is the only person worthy enough to host & it drives me nuts. Apparently, they forget it's CBS & Sony's call & if they don't want him, that's that.

You don't have to take my word for it though.

As for the new hosts, just more stunt casting with people who likely wouldn't accept the permanent gig. I am interested in how Aaron Rodgers does however.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 3, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

jivjov posted:

A lot of people also have similar levels of nostalgia for Reading Rainbow in particular as they do for Jeopardy

Reading Rainbow is how I had my first correct Jeopardy response as an 8-year-old.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I haven't missed an episode of Jeopardy in years. It's what I watch with dinner every night. I will absolutely not watch any episode hosted by Dr Oz. It's a stunt pulled by people who do not understand the show and it's absolutely despicable.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Jeffrey Wright would be a cool guest host. But nope, we get Dr Oz.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Dr. Oz hosting Jeopardy is some BS, and I won't be watching.

Loved Myrtil tonight ... her novel is an adaption of Hamlet that makes him bisexual, I'm ordering it ASAP.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gently caress no
No
Who?
Uh..ok sure I guess but why?

Jesus they are really just throwing a ton of poo poo at the wall at this point. It was gross enough when "Dr" Oz did clues but gently caress off with giving him a hosting spot.

What a miserable stretch of episodes that's gonna be. Just give it to Ken officially already I dont even care if Levar gets a shot I'm so sick of hearing his cheerleaders already.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'll eat my hat if Rodgers turns out to be a bad host.

In all his post-game pressers he's very articulate, is a known Jeopardy buff, and also has a reputation of being somewhat of a smug, smart-rear end that I think will play well in Jeopardy. I think people just see his stupid State Farm commercials and just assume he's going to be poop, but I'd wager folks will be pleasantly surprised.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

I'll eat my hat if Rodgers turns out to be a bad host.

In all his post-game pressers he's very articulate, is a known Jeopardy buff, and also has a reputation of being somewhat of a smug, smart-rear end that I think will play well in Jeopardy. I think people just see his stupid State Farm commercials and just assume he's going to be poop, but I'd wager folks will be pleasantly surprised.

I think there will be far worse than him.

My problem is with the entire idea of this stupid guest hosting poo poo. Jeopardy has never been about the host. Alex very specifically did his best to host in a way that made him the least important part of the show. He was very open about that. And that was ultimately one of the things that made Jeopardy work so well.

Guest hosts hurt the show on a number of levels. For one thing, it's not entirely fair to the contestants to have to go out there and figure out the buzzer and timing for a host that none of them have ever seen before. Trust me, it is VERY different going from yelling answers on your couch to being up on that stage, and adding an entirely new level of jarring poo poo you're not used to is not the best. Hell, even as a rando on my couch I found it weird getting used to Ken. And now that I'm used to him, I frankly don't want it to change again. And again. And again. And again what, five more times this season? gently caress that. This is Jeopardy. I would have been fine with say, three guest hosts over the whole season. Gives everyone time to get a bit used to things while also trying out a few people. But this many stunt hosts is bullshit that's not fair to the contestants and annoying to watch as a viewer.

And that's without me even getting started on Dr Oz.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just came here to post about how loving bad this is!

^^ all of that is right on the money

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
100% agree with HookShot. No disrespect to other shows, but the stars of this one are the material and the contestants. And at the risk of sounding naive, offering a host slot to any celeb who takes their call cheapens this whole thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

I would have been fine with say, three guest hosts over the whole season. Gives everyone time to get a bit used to things while also trying out a few people.

I agree with everything you said, but especially this. This should be a time to try a few contenders, for the spot, not a revolving door.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully this revolving door of guest host poo poo is purely to pad out the current season of filming, just so they can announce a new permanent host (and more critically, start them on a contract!) when the next block starts filming

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jivjov posted:

Hopefully this revolving door of guest host poo poo is purely to pad out the current season of filming, just so they can announce a new permanent host (and more critically, start them on a contract!) when the next block starts filming

I’m really hoping this is the case.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

HookShot posted:

Yeah that's not at all accurate, the lockout is 1/4 second and you will 100% get beaten by someone in that lockout time if one of the other two contestants know the answer (and 90% of the time, at least 1 of them will)

I kept ringing in too early in the first round of my second game especially and you can check out J-archive if you want to see how well that went for me!

to add to this, the lights can appear before the end of the reading of the clue. not like, right when the host starts reading it or anything like that. but they can come on a few words before the end.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 4, 2021

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Imagine qualifying for Jeopardy, getting your episode date, walking out on stage and... it's Dr Oz. I would loving cry.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m really hoping this is the case.

That's what I think too. It's likely the reason why Ken has 6 weeks and everyone but the producer has one. He gets his feet wet and then CBS gets to goose the ratings with guest hosts they like until the hiatus in June. Since the whole bean dad debacle died off & the reception to him as host has been positive, the job looks to be his barring another calamity.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I don't think Ken has been bad at all and is clearly getting more comfortable as he goes. If he wanted to be the permanent host, I'd have no problem with it, and it'd be better than this bullshit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

big trivia FAIL posted:

I don't think Ken has been bad at all and is clearly getting more comfortable as he goes. If he wanted to be the permanent host, I'd have no problem with it, and it'd be better than this bullshit.

:emptyquote:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The goosing the ratings thing make sense (in theory it probably will do jack poo poo) when the host is an Aaron Rodgers but having random rear end news hosts is bizarre.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Stuart's suit sleeves need some tailoring.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

big trivia FAIL posted:

quoting this, this is my first time watching a Ken Jennings episode from the beginning, but he clearly is still adjusting but he seems to be doing alrighting. The worst thing you can say is he doesn't quite have the booming voice presence that Trebek had that suits the format well.

out of that guest list, Cooper and to a lesser extent Oz might be the only two people who have that confidence-to-speak-loudly-on-TV voice, but Mehmet Oz does not belong in the same studio as a shows about facts

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Really fun game tonight! Leah took the lead for the only time in the game on the very last question in DJ and won it all.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
My problem with Ken Jennings so far is that he's clearly trying to do it in the same style as Trebek. He's got a personal connection and is going to have a hard time feeling okay to try something different, especially when this would be such a big deal for him.

It's a little weird watching someone hold to the exact Trebek style because the phrasing and delivery is very connected to him as a person. I would feel much better about it if they were a little looser with the way they were responding to things and picked their own phrasing that felt more like the host.

I think this is going to be a general issue though. People think jeopardy and want to do an Alex Trebek immitation.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Ken seems to have more back-and-forth and light teasing of the contestants than Alex did. I think one thing that might be tricky is doing that without coming off as mean.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

text editor posted:

The worst thing you can say is he doesn't quite have the booming voice presence that Trebek had that suits the format well.

this is the ONLY real complaint I have with him. his voice just doesn't fit, but that's just because we aren't used to it. I'm a booming loud talker when presenting but I'm literally trained in doing it. Ken isn't, but that doesn't mean he's bad.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I enjoy any reminder of Nolan Ryan beating the poo poo out of Robin Ventura, so today's interview segment was good.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
The new champion is our first real victim of skipping the makeup chair, good lord those bags (I look very similar most days). Nice play tho, and way to not bet 1000 on the DDs like every other joker coming through recently.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
The contestants' stories haven't been nearly as awkward with Jennings. People seem less self-conscious and aren't as nervous about telling a story that they probably already know is a dud. It's just a dumb little chat you would have with a coworker, rather than trying to come across as having presented an Interesting Anecdote.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
oof mensa

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Brayden Smith, the 25 year old who was a 5 day champ just before Alex passed, has died.

https://obits.reviewjournal.com/us/obituaries/lvrj/name/brayden-smith-obituary?pid=197750519

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Brayden Smith, the 25 year old who was a 5 day champ just before Alex passed, has died.

https://obits.reviewjournal.com/us/obituaries/lvrj/name/brayden-smith-obituary?pid=197750519

Wtf ??

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh no, that's awful :(

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

HookShot posted:

Aw man, that's terrible. I really liked his run, was looking forward to seeing him again.