Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Something arrived!

Complete with handy instructions, which is good because I was sorely tempted to wear this magnificent object as a crown.

Vielen, herzlichen Dank, Pagan, und alles gute zu dir und deiner Frau!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Okay, according to the tracking my thing has now... arrived at the post office I mailed it from... o... kay...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RickRogers posted:

Something arrived!

Complete with handy instructions, which is good because I was sorely tempted to wear this magnificent object as a crown.

Vielen, herzlichen Dank, Pagan, und alles gute zu dir und deiner Frau!

not going to lie that would make a sick crown

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

After no tracking updates for 11 days, mine is finally out for delivery :grovertoot:

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

After no tracking updates for 11 days, mine is finally out for delivery :grovertoot:

Same! SANTEE I SWEAR TO GOD I DIDN'T FORGET YOU i'm just really bad at time management

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

And the box has arrived... back at my house. Rejected by customs for "insufficient item description" though I'm really not sure how I'd describe the item better than I did.

At least they didn't just trash it or something. Oh well, I'll figure it out and get it sent out again...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I got a box!

From a fellow woodworker, I see :heysexy:

Oh man, so much cool stuff! Start it out with some cheese straws, that survived the trip unsmashed:

I haven't encountered this particular snack food before, but it's very tasty! I dig the combination of cheddar and cayenne. Thanks for expanding my culinary horizons.

Anyway, follow that up with this colossal mallet!

It's gorgeous! I'm gonna have to work up some courage to actually use it as a mallet, because I don't want it getting dinged up. Per the note, this is made from dogwood, with a BLO (boiled linseed oil) finish.

Next is this lovely African mahogany vase:

I tried to get a closeup of the grain. It has this warmth to it that does amazing things with the light.

I'm going to have to make sure to grow some flowers that I can put in it. They'll look fantastic, I'm sure.

And, because they just don't stop coming, finally there's a sampler of wood stain for me to play with. I haven't done much with stains before, so that will be fun to experiment with.

I'm overwhelmed. Thank you, Kaiser Schnitzel!

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 31, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I got a box!

I'm going to have to make sure to grow some flowers that I can put in it. They'll look fantastic, I'm sure.

Glad it finally made it! I *think* I stuck some poppy and/or zinnia seeds in a ziplock in there somewhere in the packaging for you to try growing, but I may have forgotten to actually stick them in?

I was gonna make some little stands or lids or something for your pottery, but uh, turns out I'm no good at face grain turning.

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Santee! Your box was finally delivered and I hope it's not a total disaster!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Opened the box just to make sure everything was still intact before re-mailing it, and stuff didn't even shift a little bit. I went ahead and carefully re-packed it and used stronger tape and stuff so now the box is ultra-durable but looks like a horrible monstrosity. I have now specified on the customs form something that I hope is specific enough, and I paid for faster shipping to make up lost time, let's see if it makes it :v:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Thank you Sekhmet!! Everything arrived at like 4am today (I was out walking the dog and saw it), SOPPING wet but everything survived intact. I feel terrible you sprung for 2 day and it took this long to get here - looks like the estimated arrival date was supposed to be Christmas Eve. I'll get pics once I'm fully awake!

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
Oh thank God! I was worried that it might get swiped or ruined or lost or or or. Phew.

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

A delightful package from there wolf arrived for me today!

I can't show the beautifully illustrated outer package without doxxing myself, but trust me it was great. Bonus points for wrapping it in reused McDonald's bags. I am also in love with this tin.

Inside there was a really adorable ornament with more awesome illustration

Yarn! I am going to cherish the merino DK and come up with something really good to make with it.

And a bunch of reusable gift bags (there are many more in there, not pictured), with I am thankful for because I burned through my stash of them over the holidays. I've already decided that one of them is getting a place of honor has my new dice bag.

Thank you so much there wolf!!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That :grovertoot: ornament is :kiss:

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Thank you santa Sehkmet! I already sent you the customary drunktext and spelled your username wrong so I hope this kinda makes up for the stress you went through tracking the poor package, which showed up to my place at around 4am in the middle of a thunderstorm.

Santa made me NINE different kinds of cookies, which is frankly at least 7 more than I really deserve:

Look how nicely they're decorated, and yes Santa made MOONCAKES:

And this beautiful wrap!! It even smells nice.

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 4, 2023

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Bingo Bango posted:

A delightful package from there wolf arrived for me today!

Finally! My mom also got some puzzles I'd shipped for her today, so I guess 01/02 was the day for USPS clearing the last of the Christmas rush. My goal was to not buy anything for this, including the packaging, the only exceptions being the candy canes. (which came in the flimsiest box imaginable requiring more elaborate plans to try and keep them from all breaking in transit.)

I don't have pictures of the Christmas :grovertoot: making process, but the ornament is felt and embroidery thread with a wire frame to keep it stiff and balance the weight of the candy cane. If someone wants one of their own, or wants to know how to make felt ornaments like that in general, I'll make another and do a tutorial out of it.

And I'm flattered that you're going to use one of my little bags for dice.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

there wolf I'm still working on your main gift, but it's quite technically complex and I'm doing my best not to ruin it! It may still take a while yet, soz :(

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I'm expecting a machine that does dishes, taxes, and chases Jehovah's Witness from my property. Anything less will be a disappointment.

No pressure, though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Not that kind of technical I'm afraid.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well, I guess I "solved" that problem by loving up again, and I now definitely don't have enough material to finish anything close to the original design, so I'll do a simpler one instead.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A package arrived today

Just taking a moment to appreciate a good bit of best brown paper tied with twine, I don't see it enough anymore

Thanks Santa :aaaaa: I like to read the knife making thread because it's all really cool, but I don't have the time, money, or space to get into forging. This is a super cool alternative! Thanks again!

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

A package arrived today

Just taking a moment to appreciate a good bit of best brown paper tied with twine, I don't see it enough anymore

Thanks Santa :aaaaa: I like to read the knife making thread because it's all really cool, but I don't have the time, money, or space to get into forging. This is a super cool alternative! Thanks again!

That's cool, I had no idea that was a thing. I know if I bought one it'd become one more unfinished project (having sent my round tuit to AFewBricksShy)

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

A package arrived today

You're welcome! I had planned on sending a kiridashi/scalpel that I'd made with my knife making gear but the heat treatment guy hosed up and I didn't get it back before leaving for a 3 week holiday. I'm absolutely going to send it when it's ready though! It just needs a handle and a final grind and sharpen

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

A package arrived today

Also big props to Bjorn at creative man for posting this on Christmas Eve! Hopefully my package made it into my letterbox at my flat or one of the other people left it on my doorstep, because I've been away for 3 weeks so Santee don't stress if it comes back, just PM me and I'll give you the address for my partner and my new house

shrimpwhiskers
Jan 9, 2019

tasty

Stack Machine posted:

Edit (finally got this old thing to boot up):

https://i.imgur.com/ZMdlAuf.mp4

I'm happy you like the cross stitch! Dyeing the fabric was a spaghetti at the wall situation so I'm happy it came out kinda cool looking.

Also that video is rad as hell (as a child I don't think we even had magnets powerful enough to effect electronics in the house cuz my dad works in Sys Admin lol)

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Thanks to my secret Santa for the garden stuff! My partner and I are super excited to get some beds in and start growing food crops in our block :D

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

McSpergin posted:

Thanks to my secret Santa for the garden stuff! My partner and I are super excited to get some beds in and start growing food crops in our block :D

Oh you are so welcome! I forgot a note, but yeah, I hoped it would inspire!

The mushroom is my first attempt at wood lathing and thought it might go nicely somewhere.
Would have sent seeds as well.....but thought better not risk destroying the ecosystem and annoying customs!

:)

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

RickRogers posted:

Oh you are so welcome! I forgot a note, but yeah, I hoped it would inspire!

The mushroom is my first attempt at wood lathing and thought it might go nicely somewhere.
Would have sent seeds as well.....but thought better not risk destroying the ecosystem and annoying customs!

:)

I like the mushroom! I'm going to put it somewhere in the garden I think. I'm glad you didn't send seeds, I ordered some from the USA last year and customs pinged them and sent them back. It was corn and broccoli heirlooms

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shipping attempt 2 has made it past outgoing customs, though we'll see if it gets bounced once it lands :toot:

It's definitely not worth the extended wait but I hope you get some fun out of it, REDACTED

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

It came! It came! I was starting to get a bit worried (Canada Post! :argh: )

Thank you, mediaphage for the delightful package. The timing on the caramels is perfect since we just ran out of Christmas chocolate to have with our evening tea. The broken tile will get epoxied and included in something we do around the house. Not sure yet. So excited to use everything else! Thank you again!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
oh yay! cp has been so slow lately, it’s been about a month!

sorry to see the tile was broken, but i do like the idea of using the pieces. if you’d ever like anything else done on wood or tiles like that please let me know and i’d be happy to send it out!

i hope you like the caramels; they’re something of a specialty of mine.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tracking on mine says it was delivered on the 19th, I hope [REDACTED] just hasn't gotten around to posting about it cuz if it got lost or stolen this time (after getting bounced by customs last time) I'm about at the point where I'm just gonna give the gently caress up :v:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I have a secret Santa parcel part II! Thanks peanut, your hail Santa decoration is too good to keep till Christmas so is hanging on my desk :3:

You’ve also reminded me I never learnt to make any origami things other than a cube lantern/water bomb when I was at school. I have to travel for work very shortly so that’ll be something I can work on in the inevitably grim evenings when there’s nothing else to do or anywhere to go.

It was a lovely surprise getting an unexpected parcel during the current grimness so Thankyou again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Okay I'm just gonna come out and ask cuz it's been like 10+ days since it showed as delivered: Tuo, did you get my box?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I have a secret Santa parcel part II! Thanks peanut, your hail Santa decoration is too good to keep till Christmas so is hanging on my desk :3:

You’ve also reminded me I never learnt to make any origami things other than a cube lantern/water bomb when I was at school. I have to travel for work very shortly so that’ll be something I can work on in the inevitably grim evenings when there’s nothing else to do or anywhere to go.

It was a lovely surprise getting an unexpected parcel during the current grimness so Thankyou again.

:3 Mail took two months?! But it sounds like late was even better than on time :peanut: Good luck with your stuff!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

Okay I'm just gonna come out and ask cuz it's been like 10+ days since it showed as delivered: Tuo, did you get my box?

Nope, did not get anything.

I'll ask around in the neighbourhood, but usually in the off-case that a new driver hands them off there (all the regular drivers know where to place the parcels if I'm not at home), they call or bring them by.

e: the package went back to Frankfurt, I assume for flight back? I have contacted DHL service (with the tracking number provided via PM) and they are trying to get hold of it for another delivery attempt, but currently can't tell if it'll work, as it arrived at February 3th and depending on flights departing it might have been loaded or not (if it was marked for return and not for destruction). Hopefully they can get hold of it.

ee: no dice, package is currently enjoying a nice flight back to it's origin

tuo fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 5, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

`there wolf`, I'm afraid I'm going to have to call time on your hand-made gift. There's now been enough failures in key parts that I'd have to start over, and I don't have the time or material. The quilting rulers will have to be the main gift, I hope you get good use out of them!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tuo posted:

Nope, did not get anything.

I'll ask around in the neighbourhood, but usually in the off-case that a new driver hands them off there (all the regular drivers know where to place the parcels if I'm not at home), they call or bring them by.

e: the package went back to Frankfurt, I assume for flight back? I have contacted DHL service (with the tracking number provided via PM) and they are trying to get hold of it for another delivery attempt, but currently can't tell if it'll work, as it arrived at February 3th and depending on flights departing it might have been loaded or not (if it was marked for return and not for destruction). Hopefully they can get hold of it.

ee: no dice, package is currently enjoying a nice flight back to it's origin

Oh I completely missed these edits. It still hasn't arrived here so I guess either customs blew it up or it disappeared into the Atlantic. I'll keep an eye out anyway but yeah. Sorry tuo, at least you got that return gift from Japan I guess :sigh:

I suppose I can say what it was: I had no idea what to get or make for you, so I just latched on to the "bees" theme and ran with it. I designed a little desktop... thing? Lamp? I called it the Honeylight because I am bad at naming things. It was basically a bunch of individually addressable RGB LED "pixels" behind a hexagonal shadow mask which projected onto an opaque front window, creating a hexagon beehive pattern of light. It had a (massively overpowered for the task at hand) microcontroller in it, that would read patterns off a micro SD card and play them back. The patterns were made using a browser-based tool I spent way too much time making. There was a big knob on the top to select a pattern, and because I like knobs. The case was designed by me and 3D printed, the circuit boards were all designed by me (though manufactured by a PCB fab) and hand-assembled by me, and the front screen was laser cut by Ponoko.

It also had this built in rainbow pattern that I liked that it'd show by default if you didn't select anything:

https://i.imgur.com/sqG7cI0.mp4

This picture captures the effect the shadowmask gave it a bit better I think, it had a real neat depth to it:

I have enough materials to build a second one but oof I need a break from this project for a while before I do something like that.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Shame Boy posted:

Oh I completely missed these edits. It still hasn't arrived here so I guess either customs blew it up or it disappeared into the Atlantic. I'll keep an eye out anyway but yeah. Sorry tuo, at least you got that return gift from Japan I guess :sigh:

I suppose I can say what it was: I had no idea what to get or make for you, so I just latched on to the "bees" theme and ran with it. I designed a little desktop... thing? Lamp? I called it the Honeylight because I am bad at naming things. It was basically a bunch of individually addressable RGB LED "pixels" behind a hexagonal shadow mask which projected onto an opaque front window, creating a hexagon beehive pattern of light. It had a (massively overpowered for the task at hand) microcontroller in it, that would read patterns off a micro SD card and play them back. The patterns were made using a browser-based tool I spent way too much time making. There was a big knob on the top to select a pattern, and because I like knobs. The case was designed by me and 3D printed, the circuit boards were all designed by me (though manufactured by a PCB fab) and hand-assembled by me, and the front screen was laser cut by Ponoko.

It also had this built in rainbow pattern that I liked that it'd show by default if you didn't select anything:

https://i.imgur.com/sqG7cI0.mp4

This picture captures the effect the shadowmask gave it a bit better I think, it had a real neat depth to it:

I have enough materials to build a second one but oof I need a break from this project for a while before I do something like that.

That is really cool and a lot of work went in to it just to end up on some customs officer's desk :( What did you use for the diffuser piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JEEVES420 posted:

That is really cool and a lot of work went in to it just to end up on some customs officer's desk :( What did you use for the diffuser piece?

Initially I bought a bunch of different copies of the front window in different materials (because Ponoko's pretty cheap if you're just making it out of plastic) and tried various opaque ones, but they all had this weird diffuse glow effect that I didn't really like. I settled on this one, which is a clear but heavily tinted acrylic window, and I added a thin layer of diffuser material behind it. The actual diffuser material itself is from a big sheet of the stuff I got from the backlight assembly of a giant TV someone left out by the dumpster cuz it had a smashed LCD panel. I knew it'd come in useful eventually, and therefore it's not hoarding garbage it's collecting useful things :v: