Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

do you not plan to type a lot on your iPad, or do you already own a bluetooth keyboard? if the answer to either of those is yes, probably not!

I have ESR's case for the base iPad, it's fine

Oh sweet. Do you use the magnetic one?

I do have a Bluetooth keyboard but my mother may want to use it but I can get it again at cheaper than the Magic Keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WR9ZMKJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a magnet that keeps the stand together when rolled up and keeps the cover on the iPad when it's closed, works fine. I don't think it has a magnet or space for the Pencil, though (which I ended up not really using anyways, so not a huge deal).

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I do have a Bluetooth keyboard but my mother may want to use it but I can get it again at cheaper than the Magic Keyboard.

I have the magnetic one and it holds my iPad up without any signs of slipping. It doesn’t add much bulk but don’t expect it to protect it from a big drop if you’re worried about that. For $13-16 vs $200-300, you can’t go wrong.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sacred Cow posted:

I have the magnetic one and it holds my iPad up without any signs of slipping. It doesn’t add much bulk but don’t expect it to protect it from a big drop if you’re worried about that. For $13-16 vs $200-300, you can’t go wrong.

Hm...would you say it's at least as protective as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08276JTHM/ and Apple's Smart Cover?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hm...would you say it's at least as protective as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08276JTHM/ and Apple's Smart Cover?

My mistake. Just looked at the one you originally linked again and I had it mixed up with this one which has almost zero side protection. That being said, I don’t carry my iPad around like I do with my phone so I’m not really worried about drop damage.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok. New question. I got a surprise gift card which knocks the Magic Keyboard down to $130 (or knocks the Apple Pencil 2 to $50). Wondering if I should get the Magic Keyboard while it's still on sale and pick up a trifold or magnetic ESR case too for when I don't want to type.

That might be a better idea and then can give the keyboard to my mother with the 8th gen iPad?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ok. New question. I got a surprise gift card which knocks the Magic Keyboard down to $130 (or knocks the Apple Pencil 2 to $50). Wondering if I should get the Magic Keyboard while it's still on sale and pick up a trifold or magnetic ESR case too for when I don't want to type.

That might be a better idea and then can give the keyboard to my mother with the 8th gen iPad?

That’s how I roll with my 12.9 inch pro - magic keyboard for couch browsing/posting and a Smart Cover knockoff for drawing and when I feel like going tablet mode or reading.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

if you're willing to stomach the price, the magic keyboard is hands down the best keyboard case you can possibly get for an ipad. i have a 12.9 with the magic keyboard and a knockoff folio but i barely use the folio.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

if you're willing to stomach the price, the magic keyboard is hands down the best keyboard case you can possibly get for an ipad. i have a 12.9 with the magic keyboard and a knockoff folio but i barely use the folio.

Hard :same:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I bought the magic keyboard and ended up absolutely loving hating it compared to the smart keyboard. It's big, bulky, and very restrictive. It doesn't fully fold back so if you're NOT using it you're only option is to remove the ipad for it if you're going to scribble with a pencil or just do literally anything else while holding it. They keys are solid, typing on it was good, but ultimately it asked me to compromise on every other aspect of my day to day iPad use and I ended returning it.

I'd probably give it a 2nd chance if I could get it for like $100 but at $329 or however much it was at launch it was loving insane.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I bought the magic keyboard and ended up absolutely loving hating it compared to the smart keyboard. It's big, bulky, and very restrictive. It doesn't fully fold back so if you're NOT using it you're only option is to remove the ipad for it if you're going to scribble with a pencil or just do literally anything else while holding it. They keys are solid, typing on it was good, but ultimately it asked me to compromise on every other aspect of my day to day iPad use and I ended returning it.

I'd probably give it a 2nd chance if I could get it for like $100 but at $329 or however much it was at launch it was loving insane.

Except that typing on the Smart Keyboard is a mushy mess and sucks for doing any real typing on.

No doubt the Magic Keyboard feels overpriced, even at $200.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I think I’ve read that the Magic Keyboard should be thought of more like a docking station that you leave on your desk to attach to when you need it. Does that sound about right?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think I’ve read that the Magic Keyboard should be thought of more like a docking station that you leave on your desk to attach to when you need it. Does that sound about right?

I keep it on whatever desk-like surface i have nearby if I’m not using it on my lap on the couch. I’m sure there are people who think of it like a “docking station” but it’s so stupidly easy to pull the ipad off the keyboard (which is exactly the reason i like it), I’ve never thought about needing to keep the keyboard in one spot and go to it rather than have it follow me around.
It’s not a “keyboard case” in as much as you’re not going to leave it attached 100% of the time, nor do i think it’s designed to. If you’re going to use the ipad in some other form, you’ll remove it from the magic keyboard, straight up. I never kept the folio on it when i didn’t want to use the keyboard because i don’t want to have that bulk attached to my ipad 100% of the time, despite the ability to fold it back if i wanted.

(tbh the thing that bugs me way more is that you have to take the pencil off if you wanna hold an ipad in portrait)

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 23, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

sleepwalkers posted:

I keep it on whatever desk-like surface i have nearby if I’m not using it on my lap on the couch. I’m sure there are people who think of it like a “docking station” but it’s so stupidly easy to pull the ipad off the keyboard (which is exactly the reason i like it), I’ve never thought about needing to keep the keyboard in one spot and go to it rather than have it follow me around.
It’s not a “keyboard case” in as much as you’re not going to leave it attached 100% of the time, nor do i think it’s designed to. If you’re going to use the ipad in some other form, you’ll remove it from the magic keyboard, straight up. I never kept the folio on it when i didn’t want to use the keyboard because i don’t want to have that bulk attached to my ipad 100% of the time, despite the ability to fold it back if i wanted.

(tbh the thing that bugs me way more is that you have to take the pencil off if you wanna hold an ipad in portrait)

I have to take the pencil off to hold it in portrait mode with or without the smart keyboard as well. It just gets in the way. Would be nice if it could attach to the top/bottom in addition to the sides.

Unrelated but what bugs me the most about switching from iPad and iPhone is that the screen time options are reversed. On the iPhone the “enter screen time password” is the bottom option, but the first option on the iPad.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks for the help! Picked up the Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil 2, and ESR Rebound and they'll be here tomorrow!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Magic keyboard should work with the apple folio. If it did I might have picked one up. But imho it's only kinda half mobile after keyboard detaching.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I view the magic keyboard as a home-only thing because it’s so heavy. It worked out great for the pandemic at least.
If you expect your iPad would leave home very much then I’d say the keyboard folio is much more well rounded.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
My folks got a new tablet and handed an old 3rd generation iPad to me to either put to use or wipe and recycle. The battery is still good, the screen is nice, and kindle books page flips smoothly still. I'd like to just use it as an e-reader but I figure I can't reset it and log in with my apple ID because it tops out at iOS 9.3.5 and I wouldn't be able to download any replacement apps from the app store.

Any good way to keep using an old 3rd generation iPad?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I use mine as a digital photo frame since it still syncs with iCloud Photos fairly well and the display is really nice. You can also redownload some old versions of the apps by viewing your purchased items in the App Store and redownloading them from there (instead of from their listing page)

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

MrBond posted:

I view the magic keyboard as a home-only thing because it’s so heavy. It worked out great for the pandemic at least.
If you expect your iPad would leave home very much then I’d say the keyboard folio is much more well rounded.

it’s no heavier than a mbp 13 really, i take it everywhere in the case unless i know i’m only gonna write ahead of time

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

zeroprime posted:

My folks got a new tablet and handed an old 3rd generation iPad to me to either put to use or wipe and recycle. The battery is still good, the screen is nice, and kindle books page flips smoothly still. I'd like to just use it as an e-reader but I figure I can't reset it and log in with my apple ID because it tops out at iOS 9.3.5 and I wouldn't be able to download any replacement apps from the app store.

Any good way to keep using an old 3rd generation iPad?

You can sign out of iCloud, and leave their account signed into the App Store. Those things were underpowered brand new (which is why the 4th gen came out the same year) but any of the built in apps/features should still run well enough for basic music/pictures/books/browsing/video . 3rd party apps are going to be a crapshoot regardless for what works vs; requires a never version of iOS.

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet

GoatSeeGuy posted:

You can sign out of iCloud, and leave their account signed into the App Store. Those things were underpowered brand new (which is why the 4th gen came out the same year) but any of the built in apps/features should still run well enough for basic music/pictures/books/browsing/video . 3rd party apps are going to be a crapshoot regardless for what works vs; requires a never version of iOS.

I have a hunch it might chug a bit. I dug out my mini 4 the other day and it's pretty drat slow.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the help. Logged in with my iCloud and was able to get my Kindle/dropbox/onedrive accounts active and redownload some apps I had the last time I used an iPad. It's slow, but is still great for light purpose reading and for recipes in the kitchen.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure if this is better suited for CC but I've been mulling over getting an iPad to use with ProCreate but I can't really decide on which one.

It would be pretty much, just ProCreate. Maybe I would use it to read some color PDFs that my Kindle Paperwhite isn't really suited for, or needs color.

I used to have a tablet, but it was like, a $100 Acer one and it's basically junk, reboots itself every few minutes, plastic shell is practically falling off, feels like you could twist it in half fairly easily.

I generally do not buy Apple devices, in fact, I tend to not like them, though, mostly that's due to third party apps than the device themselves. So, anyways, ProCreate sounds like the bees knees for digital art, and getting back into art I have physical art supplies, I'm swooning over being able to sketch in layer 1 and then make my fine lines in layer 2 and so on where it'd be a little "easier" in some aspects to do stuff digitally.

I don't need a desktop replacement, in fact I could probably maybe get away with a wacom tablet, but the portability of an iPad is what's drawing me in. I tried on my phone and it's laggy and the apps are kind of clunky, even on a Pixel 4, and all the reviews I see seem to shine about using the device to draw on.

So, of course the iPad Pro 12.9" looks sexy and I like the "well if you get the new one you won't have to worry about it getting old and clunky in 2 years when the new shiny thing comes out" but it's a bit out of my comfortable price range.

I was thinking more of like, either the iPad Mini latest gen (so you get the pencil with it) or a iPad pre-owned previous gen or something. However, I don't really know what's good or what's worth it, and was looking for some opinions, thanks!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’d suggest iPad Air because IMO you really want a 2nd Gen Apple Pencil vs 1st Gen for quality of life (easier to charge, easier storage).

Unless you want a big screen in which case 12” Pro would do you. If you’re looking to go secondhand, I’d still suggest not going any further back than 2018 Pros because then you’re back in 1Gen Pencil territory.

For what it’s worth, I’m a devout convert to the Pro line but I also do nearly everything on my Pros. I think the Air would do me just as well though, if I had to budget cut.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just bear in mind we're (probably) a little under two months from a new pro announcement, which means there's a potential for a price drop on current stuff or the new hotness being so awesome you just have to have it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ipad air with 2nd gen pencil is really really nice user experience

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm always surprised at how much I use the pencil.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought I would use it much more than I do, but I don't regret buying it. It's super useful when I do end up using it to mark things up, to the point that I'd actually consider it missing functionality if I hadn't invested in the pencil in the first place.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

There is simply no better digital art device than an ipad with the 2nd gen pencil (although Clip Studio Paint is my prefered 2D app of choice over ProCreate - try out their free trial to see how it clicks with you. I find the brush engine to be far, far superior in every way and the fact that you can now import your favorite Photoshop brushes makes it even more compelling).

I agree that the Air is the way to go if it comes to budget reasons. Get the most recent one you can afford - the advantage over a mini is more screen space. You will find yourself wanting to be able to see your artwork larger than a pocketbook, and pinching and zooming constantly will get really tiresome.

Of cource I have a 2019 12.5" Pro and wish that Apple would cater to my desire of making a goddamned 22" Desktop iPad for art reasons that would destroy Wacom.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I love my big Pro with pencil that I bought just before the pandemic. Granted, it was supposed to be a lot better travelled by now, but I did watch the whole Trial of OJ Simpson series on various planes before everything locked down. Great device, especially compared to the terrible in-flight screens.

I also tried it out as a remote surface for a sound console, and it's fantastic for that. Could mix a whole show on it, almost. The size is the main draw for me.

Also they just extended the Apple TV+ I got free again, until July. I was poised to switch to Apple One, but with the free TV it's not worth it :shrug:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Apple one is discounted as well because of the free Apple TV extension

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I sent my Pro back to Apple in a box to get the battery replaced and they just told me they are sending it back to me unfixed because they "could not replicate the issue."

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Rand Brittain posted:

I sent my Pro back to Apple in a box to get the battery replaced and they just told me they are sending it back to me unfixed because they "could not replicate the issue."

You'd think being the richest company in the world they would be able to afford better tech support apart from having call centers all in the states.

And for the poster thinking about an iPad for art, try to get the biggest you can. And the Apple gen 1 pencil isn't that bad to use. I don't have to charge it that often and I'm not really losing it anywhere because it doesn't magnetically clip onto my iPad.

I was unfortunately unable to get the 2018 iPad pro 12.9 inch for a good price, and I definitely need the bigger model now that I've had a taste for it.

Anyone ever buy apple refurbished? Is there a decent enough discount?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I picked up an Air 4th gen w/ the pencil 2 and a cheap flip case and holy moly this thing is bigger than I expected, even though I used a measuring tape.

Part of me is kind of worried I didn't get a big enough internal space but it's probably find since I can upload the art to google drive I think...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

forest spirit posted:

You'd think being the richest company in the world they would be able to afford better tech support apart from having call centers all in the states.

And for the poster thinking about an iPad for art, try to get the biggest you can. And the Apple gen 1 pencil isn't that bad to use. I don't have to charge it that often and I'm not really losing it anywhere because it doesn't magnetically clip onto my iPad.

I was unfortunately unable to get the 2018 iPad pro 12.9 inch for a good price, and I definitely need the bigger model now that I've had a taste for it.

Anyone ever buy apple refurbished? Is there a decent enough discount?

The refurbished units on Apple’s website are discounted and are practically brand new with all the important bits replaced, complete with warranty and I think the option to add AppleCare.

The refurbished units from like Amazon or Walmart? I hope you like gambling.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I picked up an Air 4th gen w/ the pencil 2 and a cheap flip case and holy moly this thing is bigger than I expected, even though I used a measuring tape.

Part of me is kind of worried I didn't get a big enough internal space but it's probably find since I can upload the art to google drive I think...

Even though cloud storage is a thing, you still need enough local storage for the apps, your art assets, the “other” cache, and updating iOS. 128 GB really should be the minimum IMO.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

You got to give more info. Did you call back? Who did you speak with? Was the battery health below 80%? If not did you insist on a battery replacement anyway? AppleCare or out of warranty battery replacement? In store initiated repair or phone?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You got to give more info. Did you call back? Who did you speak with? Was the battery health below 80%? If not did you insist on a battery replacement anyway? AppleCare or out of warranty battery replacement? In store initiated repair or phone?

I mean, I'm going to call back once I actually get it back; right now all I know is that I asked them to replace the battery, and they said they would and charged me $150 up front, and I did so and sent them the iPad in the box they sent me, and then they sent it back to me a week later and they said they couldn't see an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I had a similar thing happen once with a monitor but they emailed back saying they couldn't tell what was wrong, whereupon a sent a long email on what to do to check, they didn't respond, but I got the monitor back and it was working again.....for another 6 months (bad capacitor)