Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but isn’t that just how RTX works now, and might change over the next 5 years of the PS5’s lifecycle? Aren’t new technologies constantly being iterated on and refined as people learn how best to allocate resources or apply shortcuts?

I’m just speaking about how technology develops in general, I have no idea of RTX technology is in its own bubble where basic engineering doesn’t apply to it, but if RTX only works one way and it was literally impossible to improve it... wouldn’t we just figure something else out?

Ghost of Tsushima would have been thought IMPOSSIBLE at the PS4’s launch, but it also took SP basically the entire generation to make that one game.

AMD is supposedly working on their own proprietary AI upsampling technique that may squeeze more performance out of games that use ray-tracing (or just add more performance in general), but that's all very vague right now. The question is not "will games look good" -- visuals will obviously continue to improve as time goes on. It's "does the PS5's hardware literally contain the components inside to render real-time ray-tracing in AAA titles at native 4k and 60fps." Unlike late-generation PS4 games like Ghost of Tsushima this isn't a problem you can just solve with more efficient texture swapping or memory management, you need enough little thingies in the machine itself to draw the rays.

Unlike the cheapo PS4 the PS5 is actually a very good value for the hardware you get, especially now as gaming PC parts are shooting through the roof. But one should dial in their expectations for what the machine is capable of doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The PS5 Pro is absolutely going to support whatever AMD's answer to DLSS is as a headline feature and I will absolutely sigh and buy one immediately

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Fedule posted:

The PS5 Pro is absolutely going to support whatever AMD's answer to DLSS is as a headline feature and I will absolutely sigh and buy one immediately

This is probably true but it makes me feel icky that people are seriously discussing a PS5 Pro when most people won't even be able to get their hands on one for another 6 months.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

PantsBandit posted:

This is probably true but it makes me feel icky that people are seriously discussing a PS5 Pro when most people won't even be able to get their hands on one for another 6 months.

This hasn't stopped AMD and Nvidia from dreaming up new GPU models each month despite nobody being able to find them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

God of War feels great at 60fps with full resolution, it really gives it some next get launch title vibes. The huge scale and awesome art in the game really benefits from the increased fidelity. Also the game totally kicks rear end.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

exquisite tea posted:

Unlike the cheapo PS4 the PS5 is actually a very good value for the hardware you get, especially now as gaming PC parts are shooting through the roof. But one should dial in their expectations for what the machine is capable of doing.

I am building a new PC in the next month or so and I had to leave out a video card and stick with the one I have because they are hilariously overpriced right now and would have pretty much doubled the price. PS5 is an insane value right now if you can find one.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 4, 2021

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've really been enjoying 120 FPS Borderlands 3 and Fortnite. I've yet to experience any noticeable dip in either game, and hope more games offer this option in the future. Here's to holding out hope that more PS4 games get updated to 60 FPS as well.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I hope they steal the chicken warmer from the KFC console for the ps5 pro

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
are the hidden shards in DAS just for a trophy? I can't find much about them online

edit - yeah the trophy list has one for hidden shards I guess thats it. No in game powerups

bows1 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 4, 2021

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

PC graphics are really cool. Ok time to turn them down to maximize frames and performance so I can be competitive. Low, low low, shadows off

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The PC has only two graphics settings - "Ultra" and "Trash Bin."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I had to stop PC gaming because of the crippling FOMO I got every time a new game came out that I could only run on Medium/Low a year after upgrading my GPU. There's other reasons, but I got some immense ~bad feels~ by this.
The counterpoint of course is the amazing feeling to click "Ultra" not look and click back to the main menu, but that was a depressingly short time.

I envy any steamlords who can keep a rig up and running tiptop to experience all those great PC exclusives.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Realistically speaking, Cold War, Demon's Souls etc. are pretty loving close to what a high end PC gets you. Only pixel peeping weirdos will really care the difference. I think it will be a few years before the kind of (failed) RT by Cyberpunk actually works and people feel like getting PCs over PS5 really badly. One major problem for these new RT and other technologies is that the games seem to suffer a lot in terms of playability the more they add them. Neat, you have some RT in Watch Dogs Legion.. it's also a mediocre game that gave up on core concepts.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 4, 2021

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

exquisite tea posted:

The PC has only two graphics settings - "Ultra" and "Trash Bin."

Please, it's "Recycle Bin"

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 4, 2021

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
*playing the RE2 remake in 180x180 on 4k tv with all settings at Infinitesimal*
*game hitches*
*sighs and turns Shadows to Embarrassing*

(this is a page from my diary experiencing the RE2 remake)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dewgy posted:

I don’t think the issue is with RT specifically, Control has an extremely pronounced temporal effect system, even with motion blur off it’s still clearly affected by camera motion. I think it’s just easier to see it when it’s running at 30fps, because the PS4 version has a very similar thing going on even with baked/faked reflections.

Weird!

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

God of War at 4K 60fps is amazing. Game feels so much more responsive and fluid.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Shammypants posted:

Realistically speaking, Cold War, Demon's Souls etc. are pretty loving close to what a high end PC gets you. Only pixel peeping weirdos will really care the difference. I think it will be a few years before the kind of (failed) RT by Cyberpunk actually works and people feel like getting PCs over PS5 really badly. One major problem for these new RT and other technologies is that the games seem to suffer a lot in terms of playability the more they add them. Neat, you have some RT in Watch Dogs Legion.. it's also a mediocre game that gave up on core concepts.

For me the SSD and IO controller tech are what I love about the PS5. Loading games in 5 to 10 seconds is the true next gen experience.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bows1 posted:

are the hidden shards in DAS just for a trophy? I can't find much about them online

edit - yeah the trophy list has one for hidden shards I guess thats it. No in game powerups

Certain cosmetics require them as well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Here's the real issue with powering the ps5 down for me... I never trust the game to have saved when I expected it to and will throw me back to some random rear end checkpoint and I just don't wanna deal with that stuff

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Same, I leave the oven running at 450 so I can cook dinner tomorrow, I don't trust it to get back up to the same temp

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Here's the real issue with powering the ps5 down for me... I never trust the game to have saved when I expected it to and will throw me back to some random rear end checkpoint and I just don't wanna deal with that stuff

the real magic of fromsoft games

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Firstborn posted:

Same, I leave the oven running at 450 so I can cook dinner tomorrow, I don't trust it to get back up to the same temp

Yeah but the strawman burner here is that I've actually had that kind of stuff happen numerous times.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

ShaneB posted:

Games are autosaving like crazy now. Playing some games, I try to manual save when I am done and it's like "Idiot, I told you I autosaved already, I autosave every 5 seconds, go the gently caress to sleep"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Persona 5 isn’t one of them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Persona 5 doesn't really autosave. It does things like remember the last safe room you were in during a dungeon crawl so you can restart from there if you die whether or not you manually saved, but it doesn't function as an actual save for reloading purposes.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but isn’t that just how RTX works now, and might change over the next 5 years of the PS5’s lifecycle? Aren’t new technologies constantly being iterated on and refined as people learn how best to allocate resources or apply shortcuts?

I’m just speaking about how technology develops in general, I have no idea of RTX technology is in its own bubble where basic engineering doesn’t apply to it, but if RTX only works one way and it was literally impossible to improve it... wouldn’t we just figure something else out?

Ghost of Tsushima would have been thought IMPOSSIBLE at the PS4’s launch, but it also took SP basically the entire generation to make that one game.

I’ll say again I think there’s something to be heard for the Mafia Remake’s software ray tracing. It’s really a sight to behold and when I noticed what was happening I was really confused at first lol. But like you’re saying, there are ways out there that we probably just don’t know yet. We will have to see what the next few years brings, but I imagine (hope!) that as devs learn more and more about the ps5’s architecture and things keep going new games start really pulling impressive feats.

Ghosts of Tsushima is a great example. What exactly about it would’ve made it impossible on the PS4? It’s definitely one of the games that does things with its engine (with wind and particle effects, and drat just how smooth it is for pushing such a draw distance and scene complexity) that I don’t remember seeing in any other game of that generation. And playing it at 60fps is positively orgasmic. It doesn’t need ray traced reflections, but if they just worked in really good global illumination it would probably be the most beautiful game ever.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Platinumed Tsushima & Dad of War last December, already debating which one to NG+. Love those games.

What are the chances of PS5 patches for Sekiro or Death Stranding? Also can we crowdfund a hundred mil for Bluepoint to remaster Bloodborne

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
*the ground starts trembling as someone mentions Bluepoint touching Bloodborne's art*

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bloodborne doesn’t need a bluepoint remake

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Not that I'd complain about one if we got it anyway, especially if it also came hand in hand with a PC port.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-takes-1-9-stake-in-from-softwares-parent-company/

Playstation still gonna be a great place for from software games.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Bloodborne doesn’t need a bluepoint remake

Yeah, all it really needs is a PS5 patch like games like God of War got to support higher resolutions and 60 FPS. There's not much to do a full Bluepoint-level remake of when it's already a really nice-looking PS4 game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Escobarbarian posted:

Apparently Persona 5 isn’t one of them

Persona 4 was a PS2 game released in 2008, Persona 5 was a PS2 game released in 2016

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

PS4 Ultimate Edition doesn't show in the PS store via the PS5 but shows in the app. Having owned the base game and expansions possibly a factor, selecting PS4 Ultimate Ed and downloading only downloads the base game and expansions, regardless of them clearly being shown as separate entities. I went through with it all regardless to be sure and there's definitely no transfer. Maybe if you do so on an actual PS4 console the supposed method could yield something useful but as far as merely appealing to the PS4 Ultimate to act as middleman, not possible on the PS5. Not that anyone gives a hoot.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Its too bad that the rest of japanese games will never release with Sony :(

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

something i havent seen anyone mention in the control performance vs graphics debate that maybe i am sensitive to because of epilepsy is there is very obvious ghosting around all of the characters and all of the objects you can lift in the 60 fps mode. i don't know what exactly is going on but it makes me INSANELY dizzy.

ShaneB posted:

i have no rest mode concerns related to this but it's something i absolutely hate and the only thing i genuinely dislike about control. do i have to re-loot everything after a fight if i want to turn the game off before getting to another big autosave? who knows!!! just let me choose to manually save my game, gently caress.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 4, 2021

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Elden Ring Bluepoint remake when?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Rad Valtar posted:

I am building a new PC in the next month or so and I had to leave out a video card and stick with the one I have because they are hilariously overpriced right now and would have pretty much doubled the price. PS5 is an insane value right now if you can find one.

Same, I literally can’t build a PC right now and I can finally afford to spend a decent amount on one and just want like, a 3060ti, or the 3060 they announced, but if I buy any other GPU that’s about the same price as a 3060ti then I’m just throwing money away. The lack of 30 series cards seems way worse than the PS5 situation ever was, but I can’t really tell because I got lucky and just noticed an email from Sony about the ps5 preorder the day they went up and I didn’t have to wait in a queue or anything, it was almost too easy and I was a little paranoid I wouldn’t get mine on launch day.

cvnvcnv posted:

Per the convoluted PS4 Control --> PS4 Control Ultimate Edition --> PS5 Ultimate Edition means which supposedly can get a base PS4 save to transfer, which someone mentioned pages back...

PS4 Ultimate Edition doesn't show in the PS store via the PS5 but shows in the app. Having owned the base game and expansions possibly a factor, selecting PS4 Ultimate Ed and downloading only downloads the base game and expansions, regardless of them clearly being shown as separate entities. I went through with it all regardless to be sure and there's definitely no transfer. Maybe if you do so on an actual PS4 console the supposed method could yield something useful but as far as merely appealing to the PS4 Ultimate to act as middleman, not possible on the PS5. Not that anyone gives a hoot.

They’re different games, it’s simply not possible to transfer saves.

veni veni veni posted:

The way I see it I'd rather have both, but RT is more novel at the moment so I'm going with that. Played plenty of 60FPS games last gen and on PC.

Get used to choosing between the two though. Pretty sure that's how it's going to be until PS5 pro is a thing.

Yeah, it’s surprising how good it is in Control, even when you switch between the two the difference is noticeable but it doesn’t make the game look like poo poo the way Demon’s Souls performance mode makes the fidelity mode look like garbage. I was expecting it to be like that, but I’ve been playing with RT on the whole time basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Ughhhh clean 60fps dark souls 3 is so GOOD, I fought the crystal sage last night and not a single stutter. The game remained silky smooth even while crystals were shattering and magical projectiles were blasting all around me.

This always made my big boy gaming PC chug, and I remember it was really hard to get a clean 60fps even on rigs that should be able to handle it.

This is absolutely gaming nirvana for me. Dark souls 3 just went from being a nine out of ten game to yeah this definitely replaces the bloodborne shaped hole in my heart. The action is just so much more fun and satisfying when the game never stutters.

Guys I'm actually parrying stuff consistently now wtf I feel like some YouTube superstar. I just realized inconsistent frame rates probably made it really hard for me to track enemy arm movements precisely enough to predict the stupid parry window or whatever. Either that or I just got better