Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Heading to Beaver Creek this weekend for the first time, any tips / anything to avoid? Staying down in Avon because holy poo poo is the base expensive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moogs posted:

Heading to Beaver Creek this weekend for the first time, any tips / anything to avoid? Staying down in Avon because holy poo poo is the base expensive...

The good news is it snowed, going to snow more tomorrow and Thursday, More snow Saturday and Sunday. On to the resort.

Arrowhead - it is WAY over there. I have honestly never traversed over that far, maybe it is good?
Bachelor Gulch - Good area to cruise some groomers, some trees as well
Strawberry Park - Fun groomers, cool trees
Rose Bowl - Cool bowl with 1 groomer and some good bump/powder, lift line can get kind of long
Larkspur - fun open bowl with fast groomers and some good bumps and powder runs
Grouse Mountain - Currently closed but steep and loving awesome on a powder day, you might see this open this weekend if the snow comes through
Bird's of prey - mostly closed, similar to Grouse
Upper Beaver - Cruisy greens
Lower Beaver - Fast fall line groomers, super fun

The really good expert terrain is still closed, glades are still closed for the most part. I would probably bus up to the top village and start on the upper/lower area or walk over to strawberry park. SP can take you to Bachelor Gulch or down to Larkspur. Beaver Creek is probably my favorite I-70 Vail resort.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moogs posted:

Eat at Pho Bay or Pho 20. Pazzo's is also ok. Both Edwards and Minturn have good food, too. I'm especially a fan of Kirby Cosmo's in Minturn if you like BBQ. If that beer hall place in Edwards has survived 2020 I'd hang out there for sure. Also the tacos at Vail Brewing Co are legit, although slightly gringo.

Don't bother going over to Arrowhead, do bother farting around on anything else that's open. I'm with spwrozek, the beav is a delight

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yikes, sounds like a few people might be dead in an avalanche in SW Colorado.

CO Avalanche Center posted:

Preliminary Report: On February 1, 2021, a group of backcountry skiers triggered a large avalanche between the towns of Silverton and Ophir. They were traveling in an area locally known as The Nose. Four people were caught, carried, and fully buried in the debris. The group recovered one person with minor injuries. The other three people are still missing. Search and rescue operations lasted into the night and will continue the morning of February 2. The avalanche released on a northeast-facing slope around 11,500 feet in elevation (near treeline).

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?accfm=rep&acc_id=770&view=public

Eejit posted:

Eat at Pho Bay or Pho 20. Pazzo's is also ok. Both Edwards and Minturn have good food, too. I'm especially a fan of Kirby Cosmo's in Minturn if you like BBQ. If that beer hall place in Edwards has survived 2020 I'd hang out there for sure. Also the tacos at Vail Brewing Co are legit, although slightly gringo.

Don't bother going over to Arrowhead, do bother farting around on anything else that's open. I'm with spwrozek, the beav is a delight

This is the skiing beta people really need

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
yeah one of those “gently caress what were they thinking...hope it’s nobody I knew” moments

That spot is like one of the most skied aspects by people who stay at opus hut so I’m guessing that had a lot to do with it

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Sorry to hear about those avy deaths. That's terrible.

I just got back from an evening ski race practice (we have lighting everywhere for night skiing). There was 30+ inches of snow from this storm so the coaches just canceled the scheduled slalom drills and just free skied with their respective groups. It was crowded at the lifts but we were able to get the team to a quiet side of the resort with some untouched trails. The kids had an incredible amount of fun just skiing the soft bumps and powder stashes and everyone was all smiles and laughs at the end of practice. I only got a few runs in and then it was all work for me shoveling out the race room and COVID checks.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am checking the weather at Beaver Creek and its base is only 29". Wild that Mammoth is gonna get triple that in a single storm. I am envious!

You make it out here? Thoughts so far? Looks like a good storm moving in.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Park City/Canyons closed the 9990 gate. pretty drastic move. https://townlift.com/2021/02/canyons-resort-backcountry-gates-locked-today-after-second-avalanche-death/#commentform

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Came here to post the UAC video about that incident:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CpTtoPbafs

There were a bunch of avalanches that day, if you want to read a detailed firsthand account of one of them you can go check out the TGR wasatch thread as poster D-Roc over there was in one of them (he and his partner survived.) Check out the point in that video above where their lines diverge - the skier who survived KNEW they needed to stay on that ridge near the trees, and yet his partner decided to cut out into the open steep stuff. Literally only a few seconds later it let go, you can see where his line cuts out. He stated that he should have been more forceful in preventing his partner from skiing the face.

The conditions were so dangerous that once they determined the buried skier was not able to be resuscitated they called off the entire rescue until the next day when they could do additional avalanche work on the ridge.

With the persistent weak layer from late Nov that we've got here in UT, that poo poo is a ticking time bomb and I will legit not be doing any BC until the spring. It sucks because it's not a question of if the poo poo would slide, but instead a question of how many slides will kill how many people. Sometimes it's readily apparent that conditions are simply too dangerous for any sort of touring save for low angle glades, and yet people head out there anyway. Not worth it.

It sucks they had to close the gate but when you combine the typical park city skier/rider with sidecountry terrain that's visible from the lift, bad things happen.

UAC report for those who want more info:

https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/58594

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 3, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

With the persistent weak layer from late Nov that we've got here in UT, that poo poo is a ticking time bomb and I will legit not be doing any BC until the spring. It sucks because it's not a question of if the poo poo would slide, but instead a question of how many slides will kill how many people. Sometimes it's readily apparent that conditions are simply too dangerous for any sort of touring save for low angle glades, and yet people head out there anyway. Not worth it.

You do what you feel safe doing. This is a the snowpack we basically see every year in the CO front range. I go out every weekend and pretty much just stick to slopes under 30 degrees. I even got a volume shifted split to make the mellow stuff more fun. Terrain management is the key.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Right. The wasatch is pretty steep and in the SLC/PC areas there are only a handful of "mellow" terrain options, so that's mainly why I'm staying inbounds.

There's always USA bowl, though! LOL

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

You make it out here? Thoughts so far? Looks like a good storm moving in.

Yeah, we arrived on Sunday, spent a few hours unpacking, getting set up, etc... and then I went out first thing Monday morning while my son did online school, then I came back at lunch to take him out when school ended. We are staying in town instead of at the base, due to cost reasons as a poster above pointed out, but the walk from the condo building (Seasons) to the in town gondola is actually shorter than the trip from the car to the lift at our local resort, so that works out really well. The in town lift drops you off at the Bachelor Gulch area, but there is a shuttle there that would take you up to the main lodge. I am trying to avoid shuttles as much as possible, except possibly for one day to go to vail, so I have not taken it.

So over the last two days I have mostly skied the Bachelor Gulch area and Arrowhead area, and they were not very crowded, but of course it is mid week. Arrowhead seemed less crowded. The runs there had a little less snow coverage in some areas, but seemed enjoyable enough. I prefer blue or green groomed runs and enjoying the scenery, and that part of the resort meets those needs pretty well. There is not very much challenging stuff there if someone is looking more for that. The first day I spent some time getting over to the main base area just to check it out, and it was easy enough to ski over there from town lift side of the resort, albeit a little bit time consuming. The main base area was a little more crowded, but not terribly so. There is more difficult terrain available over there. I took the Cinch lift up to the top, but it was right around ski school time, like 1030, so the lift was continually stopped, making the ride take about 15 or 20 minutes, which was a little frustrating. I took the Centennial run all the way down. It starts as green at the top and then goes to black, then blue. I didn't have any trouble with it at all and I don't ski black runs, I didn't realize it had black sections until afterwards and I was reading the trail map. They groom it pretty well too, so it might be a goo confidence building run if you have a family member thinking about dabbling in black runs, and the portions of it designated as a black run are not all that lengthy.

One thing I have noticed about Avon in general is that I am seeing a lot more people without masks than back home, and some people at the ski resort were pushy about trying to group up, even with no lines. Some lady and her 2 kids tried to get on the same 4 person chairlift with me, masks dangling below their faces, and that was quite annoying.

If anyone has ever taken the bus between Avon and Vail, I would assume it is not a faux paus to bring your skis on the bus? It looks like the bus drops you off where you would end up parking anyway, so it seems like a way to save some money.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Usually the busses have ski racks, but if not you can definitely bring your skis on.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, we arrived on Sunday, spent a few hours unpacking, getting set up, etc... and then I went out first thing Monday morning while my son did online school, then I came back at lunch to take him out when school ended. We are staying in town instead of at the base, due to cost reasons as a poster above pointed out, but the walk from the condo building (Seasons) to the in town gondola is actually shorter than the trip from the car to the lift at our local resort, so that works out really well. The in town lift drops you off at the Bachelor Gulch area, but there is a shuttle there that would take you up to the main lodge. I am trying to avoid shuttles as much as possible, except possibly for one day to go to vail, so I have not taken it.

So over the last two days I have mostly skied the Bachelor Gulch area and Arrowhead area, and they were not very crowded, but of course it is mid week. Arrowhead seemed less crowded. The runs there had a little less snow coverage in some areas, but seemed enjoyable enough. I prefer blue or green groomed runs and enjoying the scenery, and that part of the resort meets those needs pretty well. There is not very much challenging stuff there if someone is looking more for that. The first day I spent some time getting over to the main base area just to check it out, and it was easy enough to ski over there from town lift side of the resort, albeit a little bit time consuming. The main base area was a little more crowded, but not terribly so. There is more difficult terrain available over there. I took the Cinch lift up to the top, but it was right around ski school time, like 1030, so the lift was continually stopped, making the ride take about 15 or 20 minutes, which was a little frustrating. I took the Centennial run all the way down. It starts as green at the top and then goes to black, then blue. I didn't have any trouble with it at all and I don't ski black runs, I didn't realize it had black sections until afterwards and I was reading the trail map. They groom it pretty well too, so it might be a goo confidence building run if you have a family member thinking about dabbling in black runs, and the portions of it designated as a black run are not all that lengthy.

One thing I have noticed about Avon in general is that I am seeing a lot more people without masks than back home, and some people at the ski resort were pushy about trying to group up, even with no lines. Some lady and her 2 kids tried to get on the same 4 person chairlift with me, masks dangling below their faces, and that was quite annoying.

If anyone has ever taken the bus between Avon and Vail, I would assume it is not a faux paus to bring your skis on the bus? It looks like the bus drops you off where you would end up parking anyway, so it seems like a way to save some money.

Head up Bachelor and dump over to larkspur. I think you will really enjoy that bowl. Go from lifts 7 to 15 to 18 and follow the catwalk and signs to larkspur. Also strawberry Park, same lifts and go ride down stacker it is a "black".

People are asses about masks so I just don't go to the resort.

Bus is fine to take skis on. If I was only going to Vail 1 day I would probably just drive and may the $30 to park though.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

yeah one of those “gently caress what were they thinking...hope it’s nobody I knew” moments

That spot is like one of the most skied aspects by people who stay at opus hut so I’m guessing that had a lot to do with it

I’m not passing any judgement before seeing the full accident report (and even then like who the hell am I?), but it does strike me that in any risky situation, making safe decisions gets more difficult when you’re in a large group. Photos make it seem like there were maybe seven or so skiers total.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah if they were staying at opus they paid a lot of money to rent out the whole hut, and I can definitely see that impacting decision making in a large group. Our apartment is a little less than half a mile from the helipad they use for skiing and in this case rescue/recovery and it’s been busy. Hope they are able to bring it to a close today before the storm.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Yeah if they were staying at opus they paid a lot of money to rent out the whole hut, and I can definitely see that impacting decision making in a large group. Our apartment is a little less than half a mile from the helipad they use for skiing and in this case rescue/recovery and it’s been busy. Hope they are able to bring it to a close today before the storm.

I would think with how far in they were that they had to be at the hut. The slide was huge and unfortunate that so many people were in that gully at the same time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

This is hilarious and stupid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SngXFooZaUs&t=5s

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Still better than me.

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

this made my night thank you

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This rules, thanks for posting

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

spwrozek posted:

This is hilarious and stupid

Love it!

In things I don’t love: UPS lost my split bindings. It looks like they delivered them to the wrong house so there’s still a chance they show up, but if not I can’t even get another pair because they’re sold out literally everywhere now.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I mean who hasn't played dice in an NYP box after getting lovely at the Red Onion? So good

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
The Natural Selection contest is on right now, streaming at https://www.redbull.com/us-en/live/natural-selection-tour-2021-jackson-hole-day-one.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Literally about to post this. ha.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

This is a bloodbath

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That snow looks extremely fun but also extremely tricky.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ought ten posted:

This is a bloodbath

I mean they are basically rolling in blind to 50-70' jumps in deep rear end powder.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I haven't seen a rider yet not wipe out spectacularly

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah this absolutely insane. It's such a ridiculous undertaking to build these massive jumps and keep the course closed for so long to build up that super deep powder. So far Austin Sweetin and Ben Ferguson are my favorite with their reckless redneck speed.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mongoose posted:

Yeah this absolutely insane. It's such a ridiculous undertaking to build these massive jumps and keep the course closed for so long to build up that super deep powder. So far Austin Sweetin and Ben Ferguson are my favorite with their reckless redneck speed.

Very good.

Hana's Backflip was just massive now.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I mean they are basically rolling in blind to 50-70' jumps in deep rear end powder.

Oh absolutely. It only speaks to the difficulty of the course and conditions that these riders are wiping out. I did not intend to imply anything about their skill

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Aspen got over a foot and the stoke level at Ajax is off the charts. I haven't ever seen more backies in a single morning. Also the pow is really loving good and I have, if I might say so myself, been loving slaying it

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Friends of CAIC had an update on the recovery operation for the 3 buried skiers at Ophir Pass. They have the bodies out after digging them out of 20+ feet of avalanche debris. They all had beacons but buried so deep it would have been incredibly challenging to get them out in time considering that probe can be 2.4m to 3m combined with shoveling out 20 feet of snow.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

Friends of CAIC had an update on the recovery operation for the 3 buried skiers at Ophir Pass. They have the bodies out after digging them out of 20+ feet of avalanche debris. They all had beacons but buried so deep it would have been incredibly challenging to get them out in time considering that probe can be 2.4m to 3m combined with shoveling out 20 feet of snow.

That’s awful.

Just adding to how dangerous terrain traps can be, solo skier died TuesdayMonday on Mt. Washington. They dug him out of 13 feet of snow.

e: and that was before the storm, avalanche danger was rated low

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 4, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
That dude that was paired with TRice just threw a massive spin off that hit that everyone has been literally casing and disappearing into a puff of powder, and he cleared it by like 20 feet.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Y’all should check out the Natural Selection comp on Red Bull TV. I guess they built 50 features in the bc this summer and didn’t let anyone ride it until today.

E: didn’t read the thread before posting lol

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

So Beaver Creek has a really odd lift that has both standard chairlift seats, but also gondolas, albeit significantly less gondolas, on the same lift. Anyone know any backstory to this or the thought behind it?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So Beaver Creek has a really odd lift that has both standard chairlift seats, but also gondolas, albeit significantly less gondolas, on the same lift. Anyone know any backstory to this or the thought behind it?

It used to be just a chair but they wanted to sell scenic tickets and expensive food at the top to tourists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Northstar has a thing like that, I think its to access some high end club at the top of the lift