Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

Oklahoma State (Cade), USC (Mobley), Gonzaga (Suggs, Kispert), Tennessee (Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer), Arkansas (Moses Moody), Stanford (Ziaire Williams), Auburn (Sharife), Texas (Kai Jones, Greg Brown), and Baylor (Jared Butler, Davion Mitchell) is probably a good start. Also hopefully some G-League Ignite games get on TV whenever that gets going.

i can’t imagine they’re not at least on nba tv since ignite is basically just a marketing initiative for the g league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DraftExp...mber%3D152pti30

winner winner chicken dinner

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Espn updated their big board https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable and put jaden springer at 39

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Algund Eenboom posted:

Espn updated their big board https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable and put jaden springer at 39

I actually don't hate the board in general (gonna wait until after the g-league team has played to post mine but it's not too far off aside from a handful of guys) but this is bizarre. Very weird that you could watch a Tennessee game and then drop Springer while keeping Keon near the top of the lottery. I think Springer is firmly a tier 3 guy right now, and my first two tiers are each only one guy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Do you guys have any thoughts about Allen Flanigan?

Oh, and what's with all this Jaden Springer hubub?

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 4, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Do you guys have any thoughts about Allen Flanigan?

Oh, and what's with all this Jaden Springer hubub?

Springer is super productive when he plays and I think is the youngest guy in the class. He looks like one of the few guys who can create for himself and he's a good shooter and defender with good size for a lead guard. He kicked Suggs's rear end when they went head to head in high school.

Flanigan has been pretty good this year but think he should probably go back, Auburn will be loaded next year so he could be a big part of a like top 5-10 team. And he might only be their fourth best prospect this year behind Sharife, JT Thor, and Justin Powell. I would guess all of those guys except Sharife go back unless they have a huge tournament run and someone breaks out though.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 4, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I've only watched bits and pieces of this ignite game but I watched Nico Mannion shut down Jalen Green one on one multiple times which seems bad

Kuminga looks very good though and Nix has had a lot of really nice flashes.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 10, 2021

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Yeah Kuminga has looked great when I've been watching

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1359695931269079043?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/pmpslim/status/1359714273061126144?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Green looked way better today, probably the first time I've seen any ignite stuff where he outplayed Nix. Kuminga seems like the clear best of the bunch though, wouldn't have much problem putting him anywhere after Cade and Mobley.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1361460686086356994?s=19

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

good for him, no one should have to play for free during a pandemic

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

good for him, no one should have to play for free during a pandemic

I wonder how many guys are looking at what happened with Keyontae Johnson and thinking about moving the gently caress out.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
A random draft puzzler I'm puzzling on, let's say Detroit drops from 2 to 3 in the lottery, and have Kuminga and Suggs available. Do they avoid Kuminga because they have Grant, and just take Suggs and trade Killian Hayes for the 25th pick or what have you?

Brass tacks, without having an established pg, is Kuminga good enough to ignore last year's guy? From what I'm watching, he might be.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Suggs is probably more of an off guard than a point at the next level because he struggles to get to the rim in the half court, you could play him with Hayes, especially since Killian is huge for a guard. I think you could also play grant and kuminga together without much issue I have those guys in the same tier right now after Cade and Mobley but Kuminga like a spot higher, I don't think there's really a bad answer and detroit isn't really in a position where they should worry about need that much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/JonathanTjarks/status/1364601853036519425?s=19

I normally don't love Tjrarks but I thought this was pretty good on Suggs. Superstar role player is a good way to think of him, he's not a guy you can just give the ball to and tell him to get a bucket but as a secondary piece he's at least pretty good at everything else. Kind of comparable to what Haliburton has been for the Kings this year but with a higher ceiling because he's a different level of athlete and stronger. I'm glad the idea that he should be the number one pick seems to have died off but anywhere from 3 on he should be fine.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Cade just went for 40 points (on 57/37/93 shooting splits), 11 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 blocks to beat a top 10 team basically by himself.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
He is going to be so loving good. That was incredible.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
https://twitter.com/Mike_Schmitz/status/1365798340877639681?s=20

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
cade looks insanely good. coulda fuckin sworn dick vitale died

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

B-b-but I thought Jalen Suggs was the #1 pick you guys!

Edit: On a serious note he's got that Harden step back down pat. He's gonna be a star in the NBA, book it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Idk what weird melt you are about to do but please stop making up things

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Metapod posted:

Idk what weird melt you are about to do but please stop making up things

Jalen was regarded as the #1 pick for a large part of the season (which was made fun of by most of us here). It's just poking fun at people that actually thought that, that's all Metapod.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think anyone reputable actually ranked him 1 but people did try to pretend it was a debate earlier in the year when Suggs really exploded out of the gates which was really dumb. Especially some stats people who weren't familiar with their pre college play at all.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MourningView posted:

I don't think anyone reputable actually ranked him 1 but people did try to pretend it was a debate earlier in the year when Suggs really exploded out of the gates which was really dumb. Especially some stats people who weren't familiar with their pre college play at all.

lol nbadraft.net and all but I had a good laugh for a few months when they had Suggs as their #1 deep into January.

Edit: Even now they have Cade at #3 and Suggs at #2. It's gotta be a troll at this point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
NBADraft.net is really only good for getting a list of guys to watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Like I said no one reputable. The only reason anyone ever looks at the site is because they started it a long time ago and gamed SEO, they're a running joke.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

If you wish to learn about the NBA Draft on the 'net, I can think of no better website, than NBADraft.net

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cade is tier 1 by himself. Tier 2 is about 6 guys, containing Mobley. Im hoping okc can at least grab Mobley if no one takes a big pkg to move off of #1. Kuminga looks fun too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tier 2 is Mobley by himself, I couldn't justify taking any of the non-Cade guys over him, he's been absurd. I think comfortably the best defensive prospect in the class and an offensive game that should translate really well even if he's not necessarily going to be a dominant scorer. He does pretty much everything you want out of a modern big, he's super mobile, can hit open jumpers, finishes well, and has great handles and vision for his size. He's been a dominant college player despite playing for an absolute dog poo poo coach who uses him horribly.

Kuminga hasn't looked as great the last few ignite games, he's getting numbers but he's been really inefficient. I think Jalen Green is starting to outplay him after starting slower. Still a really good prospect but I wouldn't take him in the top 2.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 28, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Anyone know anything about Turkish basketball or Alperen Şengün?

He's currently destroying that league with something insane like 35 PER, but he looks like a throwback kind of bully-ball big that I'm not sure has as high of a place in the contemporary NBA. His footwork seems special. He's got a great nose for rebounds. He can get to the line at will and hits above 80% from there. Doesn't seem to have any sort of an outside shot, which should set off some alarms, but the very good FT% definitely offers hope. His passing looks pretty good. I'm also just not sure at how strong of a league it is.

At any rate, my early, uninformed read on the situation is that he's great at what he does, but only a few of those things directly translate, and the things he's weak at will be a question mark at best.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

He's currently destroying that league with something insane like 35 PER, but he looks like a throwback kind of bully-ball big that I'm not sure has as high of a place in the contemporary NBA. His footwork seems special. He's got a great nose for rebounds. He can get to the line at will and hits above 80% from there. Doesn't seem to have any sort of an outside shot, which should set off some alarms, but the very good FT% definitely offers hope. His passing looks pretty good. I'm also just not sure at how strong of a league it is.

At any rate, my early, uninformed read on the situation is that he's great at what he does, but only a few of those things directly translate, and the things he's weak at will be a question mark at best.

tankathon has him ranked as the #2 center in the class behind top 3 pick evan mobley (coming in just at the end of the lottery)

i'd say you're pretty on the money as far as evaluating him; he finishes inside well and gets to the line and doesn't turn the ball over (but isn't a black hole like whiteside). where i think you might be underselling him a bit is that offensively it's okay in ~*~tHe MoDeRn NbA~*~ to have a center that just gets to the line, bullies people in the restricted area, and cleans up misses on offense. he kinda sucks at setting screens which is worrying but he cuts to the basket well

the form on his jumper is... okay. it's a little slow but it does force people to contest him at the perimeter which is good

he's really good at pivoting towards the basket; his post ups are effective even if they're not especially pretty, although he does look like the biggest and strongest guy on the court in 90% of the tape i've seen of him

i think the biggest mark against him is defense; i haven't watched a whole game of him playing but that seems to be the knock on him, and based on the... relaxed way i see him move off the ball, i could believe that he doesn't have a ton of lateral speed and he's not the most impressive athlete either. if he can contest shots around the rim without fouling he'll probably be good enough to start

most of this is based off of maybe 20 minutes of footage, a lot of which has been cut up to make him look good, so grain of salt and all that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I like Sengun a lot, think he has an argument for being the best Euro in the class and I don't think I'd take much issue with him going in the late lotto. I definitely believe in his shot coming around evenrually. He doesn't take a ton of threes but there have been games where he hits step backs and other pretty advanced stuff and all his other shooting indicators are good. Plays pretty good D too. Anyone lighting up a genuinely good league at that age to the degree he has is probably going to be at least a solid NBA player

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 28, 2021

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MourningView posted:

Tier 2 is Mobley by himself, I couldn't justify taking any of the non-Cade guys over him, he's been absurd. I think comfortably the best defensive prospect in the class and an offensive game that should translate really well even if he's not necessarily going to be a dominant scorer. He does pretty much everything you want out of a modern big, he's super mobile, can hit open jumpers, finishes well, and has great handles and vision for his size. He's been a dominant college player despite playing for an absolute dog poo poo coach who uses him horribly.

Kuminga hasn't looked as great the last few ignite games, he's getting numbers but he's been really inefficient. I think Jalen Green is starting to outplay him after starting slower. Still a really good prospect but I wouldn't take him in the top 2.

I could see him by himself, but Im just real high on Kuminga, Suggs, and Barnes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ButtWolf posted:

I could see him by himself, but Im just real high on Kuminga, Suggs, and Barnes.

I would take Barnes in the first but don't understand him as a high lottery pick at all, how is he going to score in the NBA? Like he basically has to be literally Draymond to be worth it.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Veryslightlymad posted:

i hope he is less disappointing than Ömer yurtseven; i was so hyped for him due to name tools, and i'm still holding out hope, but i'll be happy if he ever steps out of his seven yurts upon an nba court.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

I don't know much about the draft, but I'll stake my claim here that cade and mobely will both be xxxtremely cool nba players. Analysis

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
gently caress yes

https://twitter.com/KateBDoll/status/1367113075070013444?s=19

E: he comped him to josh richardson ahahaha

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends