Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Enfys posted:

I don't have any Bukowski, but I've just come to expect that no one ever returns books they borrow. I never loan a book I expect to see again. Maybe I just have lovely friends though :shrug:

I have about 8 friends who remind ME that they have my books.

And I've not gotten any of them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sandwolf posted:

I have about 8 friends who remind ME that they have my books.

And I've not gotten any of them back.

I've started buying "book curse" book plates on Etsy. If i think a book might be borrowed, I put one in the front.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What now?

Enfys posted:

I don't have any Bukowski, but I've just come to expect that no one ever returns books they borrow. I never loan a book I expect to see again. Maybe I just have lovely friends though :shrug:

I don't have friends who want to borrow books from me. Except one guy told me he wanted to read a collection of Borges I'd just bought after I'd finished with it, but then when I told him he could pick it up he looked at me funny and told me it had been a joke.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Big fat sticker/stamp saying EX LIBRIS HIERONYMOUS ALLOY

No idea what this curse business is.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sham bam bamina! posted:

https://www.medievalists.net/2015/09/top-10-medieval-book-curses/

e.g.,

https://www.amazon.com/Medieval-Book-Curse-Plates-Set/dp/B07MLP37S6

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
That rules.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ah oh OK. I thought it was a... plate, and putting one "in the front" confused me further.

We just call them exlibrises.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

yeah except if you wanna pay for it!!!

In that case it's legitimately easier to pay for the book and then log out of amazon and go pirate a DRM-free copy somewhere else

As an added bonus, the pirate version will come in six different formats, and there's a 50/50 chance that someone will also have gone through it and fixed the hosed-up typesetting that gives it 1" margins or makes every italicized word twice as large as it should be or something

drat, mine are just a drawing of a cat sitting atop a stack of books with EX LIBRIS TOXICFROG below them

I guess they might curse someone to have trouble getting their book out from under the cat

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 4, 2021

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Goodreads is having a bug where it won't show the reviews of people I follow. This happen to anyone else?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Do you mean this sort of page? (My friends read fancier books than I do!)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Moral of the story: there's such a think as too ornate a C.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
No, it's only a problem on the pages of specific books where both friends and followed people have reviews posted.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I've been reading China Mieville's Perdido Street Station and can't remember the last time it took me this long to finish a book.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just reread a bunch of Harlan Ellison and for as much as he was a poo poo, holy hell his stories and especially his intros were loving amazing. The Deathbird makes me literally cry.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I got a chance to meet Harlan as part of volunteer staff at a convention. He was brilliant to talk with, but you could never predict when he would go Full rear end in a top hat mode. Then he used his frankly superior to the rest of the room's verbal skills to just rip people apart. It was amazing, and horrible at the same time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only thing by Ellison I've ever read was an issue of The Incredible Hulk.

What else should I read?

E: I guess Deathbird if I wanna cry.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I want to read, but my kindle needs charging. :sigh:

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Texas/power outage area?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

No, I have power I'm just dumb because I forgot to charge this thing last night. This is so far the one problem with reading ebooks: reliant on power. Regular books don't have this issue!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kindle app on phone? It's not as good as the real thing (my Oasis is maybe my favorite electronic device I own, it's 100% worth the cost) but if you turn on sepia mode and play with the brightness (override system brightness in the app) it's not bad.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The only thing by Ellison I've ever read was an issue of The Incredible Hulk.

What else should I read?

E: I guess Deathbird if I wanna cry.

"A Boy and His Dog" is a must read if you want to check out Ellison. It's everything that makes him a great writer and everything that makes him a huge rear end in a top hat distilled into one wonderfully bleak and comic novella.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PeterWeller posted:

"A Boy and His Dog" is a must read if you want to check out Ellison. It's everything that makes him a great writer and everything that makes him a huge rear end in a top hat distilled into one wonderfully bleak and comic novella.

And the movie is something to behold. Read the story first.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Speaking of ereaders, is there a general thread anywhere? My Kindle's power button stopped working and while there's repair advice online I've been looking to upgrade anyway.

There seems to be a tiny bit of scuttlebutt / speculation that there's a new Kobo Forma on the way out in the (relatively) short term but nothing concrete. Might be worth waiting a little to see?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

NmareBfly posted:

Speaking of ereaders, is there a general thread anywhere? My Kindle's power button stopped working and while there's repair advice online I've been looking to upgrade anyway.

There seems to be a tiny bit of scuttlebutt / speculation that there's a new Kobo Forma on the way out in the (relatively) short term but nothing concrete. Might be worth waiting a little to see?

There's an ereader thread in IYG:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3366619

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1365213726484418561?s=20

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Has there ever been, or is there any interest in a book collecting thread? There are infinite types of collections and collectors, but a general thread would be cool. I collect small press/limited edition books as well as random weird stuff. I'd love to have a thread to discuss this stuff. I could put together an OP regarding small/limited edition presses (at least some, there are tons I probably don't know about), would anybody else be interested in contributing for other areas they may collect books in?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

D-Pad posted:

Has there ever been, or is there any interest in a book collecting thread? There are infinite types of collections and collectors, but a general thread would be cool. I collect small press/limited edition books as well as random weird stuff. I'd love to have a thread to discuss this stuff. I could put together an OP regarding small/limited edition presses (at least some, there are tons I probably don't know about), would anybody else be interested in contributing for other areas they may collect books in?

I'd be active in such a thread.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

D-Pad posted:

I would lurk the hell out of that thread.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

D-Pad posted:

:justpost:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ok, I will try and get to it this weekend. If anybody is interested in contributing to the OP with whatever area they collect in PM me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1366723717502533634?s=20

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A character in a novel I'm reading called Simon & Garfunkel "Saimon [and] telefunken" and it made me chortle.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Had to Google to get the joke... Siemens I had heard of, but not Telefunken!

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/lithub/status/1369294447280857091

The Dorian Grays are amazing.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

never have i ordered a book faster than when i saw the description of the george saunders book on writing / russian short stories

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

buffalo all day posted:

never have i ordered a book faster than when i saw the description of the george saunders book on writing / russian short stories

It's pretty good!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Passing along a link from my mom - her best friend does audiobook recordings for all kinds of weird things, and puts them on her blog and on LibriVox:

https://weavergrace.com/

https://librivox.org/reader/13638

I can't listen to them because I hear her voice over the stuff she's reading, but I'll highlight her stuff anyways:

https://weavergrace.com/2020/10/24/tarzan-jewels-opar-chapter-one-edgar-rice-burroughs/

quote:

As I recorded this chapter, I worked hard to maintain my focus on the terrifying, suspenseful interaction between sinister characters. I imagined myself seeing the story unfold as I reported it.

I’ve never read a comic book. I’ve watched very few Marvel movies, most notably Ang Lee’s The Hulk, so this reading was an odd choice for me.

I was never a fan of the Tarzan books or comic books or movies but my sweetie was during childhood. This brought back the fond memories of the suspense of the stories, so I faced the challenge of recording this chapter. I found that I enjoyed speaking the voices that I heard inside my head: those of a 1950s news reporter, a National Geographic movie narrator, a little bit of famous actors Danny DeVito and Richard Dreyfuss, and a Marvel comic book movie. Do you hear a hint of any of them?

Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar, read by Grace Buchanan for LibriVox.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for book podcasts, ideally focused on terrible genre literature?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I Don't Even Own a Television, 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back, The Worst Bestsellers, Read It and Weep (before it pivoted to let-people-enjoy-things drivel). The only one I listen to anymore is 372 Pages, but Mike Nelson is an idiot who can't bring himself to cut ties with anybody (he got in a lot of hot water last year for being on Douglas TenNapel's podcast,* and he would have this year for hanging out with loving Lowtax on the Gaming Garbage stream if anyone outside these forums gave a poo poo about Rich), so I don't blame anyone who doesn't.

*The TenNapel thing is funny because the site listed him as one of the main hosts, but he was barely ever on the show itself and conspicuously not on episodes where TenNapel really TenNapeled out. It really comes off like he wanted to be nice (which is all that matters, of course) and do his old buddy a favor without getting too dirty himself. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
There's also Book Club For Masochists. The hosts are all librarians, and each episode they pick a (sub)genre or subject of books, and discuss the terrible books they picked for it. They also sometimes discuss good books, library culture/community, etc.