Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

gyms are back for small groups and private training sessions so I went in this morning for a quick workout (mask on the whole time of course).

Need to finish setting up the punching bag in the basement, gotta go to home depot for some of those chain quick links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now
any posters enjoying the apple fitness workouts?

timb looks like a pretty fit guy

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fivehead posted:

any posters enjoying the apple fitness workouts?

timb looks like a pretty fit guy

he gets up at 5am every morning to workout

I started Ring Fit Adventure and holey moley it is a real workout. It owns and is genuinely fun and motivating so thanks for the rec

Just had tomato on toast for breakfast, hella yum, and off for a bike ride in the hills now. wish me luck yospos

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god spead

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

does anyone have good weight bench recommendations that will reliably stay safe study and stable that won't crack ping with 500lbs on it?

The one I bought says its max capacity is 500lb but after reading reviews Im sketched out. Reports of it braking and poo poo mid press, so I'm looking for another one

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

workout status: feels good to be working out every day again. doing a pretty simple kettlebell/yoga routine right now because I don't have space for anything else

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

if you have a store near you and are looking for weights, this package from dick's is really really pretty good. i got it even though i already have a bar bcause sourcing the plates alone would be like $380 alone

255 lbs worth of plates plus a 45 lb bar for $300

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fitness-gear-300-lbolympic-weight-set-16fgeu300lbstwth7brb/16fgeu300lbstwth7brb?Product=ProductSuggest

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KoRMaK posted:

if you have a store near you and are looking for weights, this package from dick's is really really pretty good. i got it even though i already have a bar bcause sourcing the plates alone would be like $380 alone

255 lbs worth of plates plus a 45 lb bar for $300

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fitness-gear-300-lbolympic-weight-set-16fgeu300lbstwth7brb/16fgeu300lbstwth7brb?Product=ProductSuggest

Lmao I was wondering how fast they'd sell out. The only store that has it is about 30 miles away.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

same here! the one that was 10 miles away had a "only 10 left, buy now" warning on it on last saturday, then by tuesday when i went to pull the trigger it was sold out at ALL stores within 100 miles. took a week before one 30 miles away showed up

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

went snowboarding yesterday. beat my rear end but it feels very good to be out in the snow

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

KoRMaK posted:

does anyone have good weight bench recommendations that will reliably stay safe study and stable that won't crack ping with 500lbs on it?

you need to factor in how much you will be lifting as well hth

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

barkbell posted:

you need to factor in how much you will be lifting as well hth
this is a safe place you fuckin DWEEB

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

The one I bought says its max capacity is 500lb but after reading reviews Im sketched out. Reports of it braking and poo poo mid press, so I'm looking for another one

a bit pricy but my powerlifting gym had these and they were always solid with huge people and a ton of weight https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-flat-utility-bench

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

KoRMaK posted:

this is a safe place you fuckin DWEEB

sry i could not resist

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

anyway, found something good enough, checking reviews and the questions it says people have loaded this up to like 600 no problem

It looks like a gamers chair tho

and it's going in my basement. poo poo I just visions of this becoming my new computer chair hahaha

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

barkbell posted:

sry i could not resist
howe about you try some light resistance bands next time you're trying to flex

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i hiked 6 miles w 1600' of gain yesterday and boy my rear end hurts. those things aren't related

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DOMS was made up by optimum nutrition in 1998 to sell more supplements. I'm dyinf

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I’ve been keeping up with my running during this whole thing but my biceps are looking a little sickly. I thought about getting a power tower but should I just go all in on a squat rack and bench? Keep in mind I’ve been paying at least $50/month to access this equipment despite my gym being closed since March

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

greps of wrath posted:

I’ve been keeping up with my running during this whole thing but my biceps are looking a little sickly. I thought about getting a power tower but should I just go all in on a squat rack and bench? Keep in mind I’ve been paying at least $50/month to access this equipment despite my gym being closed since March

I'd get a rack and a bench, I think think you'll get way more mileage out of them long term.

If you're looking for a cheaper solution resistance bands are very good. You can extend their capabilities with door anchors/platforms.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

bench comes today! i popped a couple squats last night after getting it setup and i can feel my hamstrings again. their telling me they exist

the above picutre is about $480 bucks worth of stuff, $180 for the rack and its sturdy, and $300 for the bar and weights as a combo deal from dick's. the rack did have an issue with a deformity but i was able to take a pipe wrench and fix it so its all good and actually, really pretty loving great to have this stuff just a floor away and at my access again. i might complain and get some more off that $180 since i had to do bend/fix it. the same rack is now listed (about 2 weeks later) at $250. still worth it though if you consider your gym memebership * how many months you havent been going, or, wont be going. Pretty sure i aint going to the gym in 2021, so i broought it home

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I wish I had space to do that. also remember to not use clips when bench pressing, especially alone, so you can dump the weights and not get hurt/die. it's good you got the safeties, use those too for bench as well as squat

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nah, I always use clips, I especially don't want them falling off and hitting poo poo, although I might clean the surrounding area out. But anyway, I dont ever push the weight fast enough to need to bail so clips are fine for me, even alone

I appreciate the concern tho

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

I'd rather have plates hit poo poo then a crushed neck, but I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that, stay safe :shobon:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i hit 185 tonight on the bench, 6 reps 1 set and 175 x 4 sets. 30 more lbs to go to get back to my pre-lockdown weight. Currently watching pumping iron lol

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

that's a good looking setup and seems like a reasonable price. Seconding the no-clips thing, even if you aren't pushing it you never know you might pull a muscle or cramp up during a set, idk, I'm so paranoid about not putting on clips when I bench even at the gym where I could yell for help. Stay safe goon

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

but if you don't put on clips you're expecting something to go wrong, like expecting failure

what I'm doing is planning for success, you see?

lmao jk, I hear ya, the safety rails will get it tho if anything goes wrong

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 5, 2021

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

but if you don't put on clips you're expecting something to go wrong, like expecting failure

elizabeth holmes alt spotted

dang 185 is good for just getting back into it, my bench has stagmented since I lost a little weight (and plus, you know, the pandemic).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Man I wish I had space for a rack. Then I could be the type of guy who uses a rack for curls.

I recently picked up a jump rope and incorporated about 10 minutes of it to my workout routine and it's really been kicking my rear end.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Currently watching pumping iron lol

:hai:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pardot posted:

I'd rather have plates hit poo poo then a crushed neck, but I sincerely hope it doesn't come to that, stay safe :shobon:

get ripped or die trying

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
started the year with a weak bang but slowed right down. gently caress im pathetic lol.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I recently picked up a jump rope and incorporated about 10 minutes of it to my workout routine and it's really been kicking my rear end.

jumping rope is great, I like to throw in quick sets of 100 to keep my heart rate up inbetween heavy lifting sets. 10 minutes straight would be rough

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I got this slide board thing for $40 and holy crap is it a great piece of equipment for doing indoor cardio during the winter. It basically is like ice skating or skiing - huge work on your legs and it only takes up the space of a yoga mat.

Also, my second pulley and cable came today so I set it up and connected it to the first and now I'm able to do standing upright rows for my traps and use it for bicep curls. It's great, felt so good to do shoulders using the cable machine again. I did other crap and had the first real full workout in 11 months and I'm tired and sore all over. It feels so nice. I also did all my laundry since I'm already in the basement. It's also nice to go downstairs and pop off a few reps on days where I would normally just not go to the gym and end up doing nothing. Little micro sets to wake myself up or just kill time on off days.

Seriously, checkout the slide boards. I got the spri one. Doing that as cardio in-between reps is madone

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

so, I was hiking mountains few weeks ago, and was running around forest during airsoft session last Sunday and I got really fixated on how bad my stamina is, I will try to bike few days a week for over an hour since the weather is nice enough for it but that won't probably last long, any tips to keep my adhd interested in regular training? It is really hard for me to follow schedules if I am not instantly gratified due my neuroatypicality even when I am finally taking medication. I was thinking of trying to play Ingress or pokemon go while I am biking around the city but I am not sure if this will give me these little dopamine boosts I need. Also any tips on how to stop hating running? I don't know what is wrong with me but every time I want to start running I get tired after 300meters or so and want to stop it as soon as possible. It's tedious and makes me feel disgusted of myself when I struggle to run for another few meters. I am also open to suggestions on other activities that can improve my stamina and not require going to gym because these are still closed here and swimming pools are off limits for my trans rear end (which is a terrible irony because I love swimming and swam a lot before I figured myself out)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

for biking, running, and hiking stretch out both before you start and after you’re done. also for running don’t go flat out, deliberately pace yourself, i also have the problem of acceleration if i don’t pay attention and start flaming out after a couple of miles if i pushed too hard at the start. is listening to music or podcasts something you can do to help maintain focus or is that illegal/suicidal to do while running or biking in your environment?

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

Midjack posted:

is listening to music or podcasts something you can do to help maintain focus or is that illegal/suicidal to do while running or biking in your environment?

It's not grabbing enough of my attention and I end up with just lot of noise in my ears

e: it's not that i have problem with being engaged on bike as I like biking with music, for that it's mostly lack of motivation to actually get up and start cycling

RustyKnight fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 2, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fwiw i hate running too, but if i do it on the regular for a week or two i start liking it again. then i take some days off for a vacation or illness or hurt foot or whatever and start hating it again, and then don't go on a run for months and months and try to do a bunch of "get myself motivated" crap that never works until i just decide "gently caress it, it'll suck the first few times" and the cycle repeats. running outside is 1000x better than running inside for me. i like feeling the air moving and the physicality of propelling myself in space, i guess. and being able to vary my pace without loving with treadmill controls or w/e

really it comes down to the fact that you have to do things that you know are good for you, even when you don't want to. it's in your power to do it. motivation is not an actual thing in the world, it's an ex post facto explanation for why we do or don't do things, or a way of talking about our mental states. but you can do things when you're not motivated - you can do things even when you don't want to do them. it just sucks. but with exercise, it stops sucking pretty quick if you keep at it for a bit. keep at it until stockholm syndrome sets in

good luck!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yeah running outside is great because even if you do the same route it's a little different every day between the people, wildlife, weather, etc

also the worst part of every run is the first part until i get into a groove, always feels awkward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

fwiw i hate running too, but if i do it on the regular for a week or two i start liking it again. then i take some days off for a vacation or illness or hurt foot or whatever and start hating it again, and then don't go on a run for months and months and try to do a bunch of "get myself motivated" crap that never works until i just decide "gently caress it, it'll suck the first few times" and the cycle repeats. running outside is 1000x better than running inside for me. i like feeling the air moving and the physicality of propelling myself in space, i guess. and being able to vary my pace without loving with treadmill controls or w/e

really it comes down to the fact that you have to do things that you know are good for you, even when you don't want to. it's in your power to do it. motivation is not an actual thing in the world, it's an ex post facto explanation for why we do or don't do things, or a way of talking about our mental states. but you can do things when you're not motivated - you can do things even when you don't want to do them. it just sucks. but with exercise, it stops sucking pretty quick if you keep at it for a bit. keep at it until stockholm syndrome sets in

good luck!

breeze when running outside makes a huge difference, though you can sometimes fake it well enough with a fan on a treadmill. definitely getting and staying in a habit makes it much easier, set the time and stick to it.

carry on then posted:

yeah running outside is great because even if you do the same route it's a little different every day between the people, wildlife, weather, etc

also the worst part of every run is the first part until i get into a groove, always feels awkward
one of the things i always have to dial back in when i've taken a break is the speed, if i've been away for a while i go to fast at the beginning and am dying by the end. keeping to it every day makes it easier to settle into the endurance pace in the first few hundred feet.