Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The plan is in two to three years after I get a little experience I'll apply to grad school, but I'm not going for an MBA.

Same principle. Also, a good plan. Make sure to feel out early how your bosses are about the time you'll have to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?
*Scrolls*
Wow, the more things change. Sorry I have not posted in awhile. Things... Happened.

I got the job at the big manufacturer of Welding equipment. I now stare at circuit boards all day, find the 5 cent part that blew up a $12,000 welder, and point out to management (Again) that this is happening because they hire know nothings off the street to build the brains of their product. Naturally I am ignored. Screw it, Keeps me in trade and the company stock is up. Can't help it if they don't want to save more money...

I got my Associates Degree in Mechatronics Technology: Micro ElectroMechanical Systems. I actually get to go pick up my Diploma today. The state of Ohio cleared us for the full Bachelors program and an Applied Science degree. This means I don't have to transfer, I am working on the best and newest equipment, AND I don't have to use any of that advanced math that the Engineering Degrees have to take but never use. NASA told me "Come back when you have the Bachelor's degree", I have an inbox full of job offers I can't capitalize on until School is done, and the head of the program wants me to come back and teach some of the First year classes. Neat...

Aaand I am getting a Divorce. Apparently working 80 hours a week for 3 years and running myself to the breaking point in hopes of doing better for my family wasn't enough. Apparently I have been loving around on the side (with what time and money?), and am a liar and blah blah blah. I'm never around blah blah blah. Yeah, Ok, bye. For someone who wants me gone, you sure are dragging your rear end on signing the papers. Oh right, you still have to pay off that overpriced Masters in Psychology that you aren't using... Yeah... Sign here, here, aaaand here...

Seriously though, I can't wait to get her off my insurance and collect that cash in my paycheck again...

But yeah. same old same old...

MrDesaude fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 16, 2021

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
What school in Ohio is that?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

MrDesaude posted:

. Yeah... Sign here, here, aaaand here...

Seriously though, I can't wait to get her off my insurance and collect that cash in my paycheck again...

But yeah. same old same old...

Make sure you're protected in case she decides to come back with the "I supported him through school" argument.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just got an offer to return to school for my fifth degree (PhD in Finance). I start this summer unless something amazing comes along in the meantime.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hey Jimmy, where you going?

https://youtu.be/-MOIPnu50O4

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I just got an offer to return to school for my fifth degree (PhD in Finance). I start this summer unless something amazing comes along in the meantime.

Congratulations!

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Do y’all like personally count an associates as an undergrad degree yay/nay?

Edit: also yes congratulations and sorry circuit board divorce guy I hope that it goes as smooth as possible and you land a sweet NASA gig at the end of it all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I count my associates when I say I’ve got four degrees because it’s more fun and it’s technically correct.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I count my associates when I say I’ve got four degrees because it’s more fun and it’s technically correct.

This.

(Although I only have three. Fucker.)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I wish I could justify a 4th degree. If that ever comes about I'm doing it in Europe.

Cenen do you have a context for this like a resume or something or just in general?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Cenen posted:

Do y’all like personally count an associates as an undergrad degree yay/nay?

Sure, why not

Although if it was for some kind of job or something I would add in the "2 year" part before degree.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

lightpole posted:

Cenen do you have a context for this like a resume or something or just in general?

I was aiming for in general since if I count my associates I might have 3 degrees at the end of this semester if they count this liberal studies BA as a different piece of paper than my health science studies BS. I feel like I could just ask them but that poor dude spent way more time and effort than I think either of us expected to get the double major set up so I don’t feel like bothering him with a pompous inquiry into more paper.

Yeah like someone else here said for an actual resume for work I would clarify that it’s an associates but in general conversation I think I’ll just count the associates as an “undergrad degree”.

Edit: Got an actual phone call from a grad school program! Feels good to actually be wanted.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 5, 2021

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’ve been doing research and putting lists together because I need to apply to grad schools this fall and I’m legit terrified by the entire thing at the moment. The big two worry points are paying for it, and the fact that pretty much every school I want to apply to only accepts 2 people a year for the Cultural Anthropology program. I really don’t like those odds.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm assuming you want a PhD? And you know what you're getting into if that really is your path and there's a reason programs take like 2 people a year? If that really is your course you could try looking for programs that allow for similar research?

A masters is pretty doable with just a federal loan.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I wish you the best of luck with your two person slot program! I thought I had it bad with a 50ish seats for 1200ish applicants. I have to start hitting up people from my last deployment for letters of recommendation soon. They said they’d do it and some of them already gave me amazing undergrad ones. They like seeing specialized MD and the fancy Air Force letter head with Colonel and Major next to the specialty also.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Internet Wizard posted:

I’ve been doing research and putting lists together because I need to apply to grad schools this fall and I’m legit terrified by the entire thing at the moment. The big two worry points are paying for it, and the fact that pretty much every school I want to apply to only accepts 2 people a year for the Cultural Anthropology program. I really don’t like those odds.

I just got into a program that only accepts 2-3 a year.

Reach out to the school. Talk to the people that run the program. Ask them what they want to see in applicants. They’ll be open about it. Be ready to ask questions about the program. Express your interest and make sure you meet the requirements they mention or have a reason for falling short.

I would not have got into my phd program without getting my master’s first, so be prepared that the process may take a couple of years, but it is possible. Apply now even if you don’t meet all the requirements, because the worst case is they tell you what you need to do to get accepted the next time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I’m seeing a pretty even split of programs that are just Master’s track and programs that prioritize going straight for a PhD. I’m eventually going to end up needing a doctorate anyways for what I’d like to do, so I’m prioritizing those programs, but I won’t be upset if I just go for a Masters first.

Though half the time I’m considering just getting a job that only needs an undergrad degree for a few years because I’m getting pretty sick of school at this point.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

I'm currently studying for a Master of Science in Health Communication and I’m just starting a semester-long project on creating a (currently theoretical) communication campaign to encourage student veterans to get mental health support while they’re transitioning to civilian life. While I’m reviewing a bunch of literature, I’m also wanting to get some more detailed (& less formal) perspectives on barriers (and potential solutions). I've asked in the discord too, but if any veterans here would be keen to help me out by answering some questions on that subject, please send me a message! I can provide more info on the project, who I am, why I chose this topic etc. if any of you would like, too :)

And just throwing this out there, I've helped a bunch of vets on the discord put together/update their resumes after getting out/graduating, so if anyone would like help with that feel free to hit me up!

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
As a veteran trash fire, I l would love to help.

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

pm'ed you, booger!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Happy to participate

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

I can help with the survey and could honestly probably benefit from some mental health help right now. Would also love a hand with my resume if you're able

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

sent you both messages - thank you!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

hot sorcery posted:

I'm currently studying for a Master of Science in Health Communication and I’m just starting a semester-long project on creating a (currently theoretical) communication campaign to encourage student veterans to get mental health support while they’re transitioning to civilian life. While I’m reviewing a bunch of literature, I’m also wanting to get some more detailed (& less formal) perspectives on barriers (and potential solutions). I've asked in the discord too, but if any veterans here would be keen to help me out by answering some questions on that subject, please send me a message! I can provide more info on the project, who I am, why I chose this topic etc. if any of you would like, too :)

And just throwing this out there, I've helped a bunch of vets on the discord put together/update their resumes after getting out/graduating, so if anyone would like help with that feel free to hit me up!

I might not be your complete target audience but I think I check several of those boxes. I'd appreciate advice / someone to talk to in exchange for whatever data you'd like from me that may help your project! Feel free to PM me and we can talk a bit.

Also discord? I did a brief search and we have a discord?

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

What school in Ohio is that?

Lorain County Community College.

https://www.lorainccc.edu/engineering/bas-mems/

All the cool poo poo of an Engineering Degree, without the Math you will never use in the field.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Starting up my Bachelor's at WGU next month. Thanks to community college circa 15 years ago and some certs I picked up at a tech college the last couple years I'm almost halfway done. I'm hopeful I can stick with this cause commuting to Dugway 4 days a week is a real dose of dicksuck

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

MrDesaude posted:

Lorain County Community College.

https://www.lorainccc.edu/engineering/bas-mems/

All the cool poo poo of an Engineering Degree, without the Math you will never use in the field.

I used to live in Elyria and recruited out of Lorain. My condolences on living somewhere that looks like it was probably a decent place back in the 50s until all the jobs left and everything decayed. LCCC is actually a really good school though and should be used as an example of what a low bloat institution of higher learning can be.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In the only good decision I have made in recent years I did not take calc 2 and o-chem concurrently. O-chem isn't that bad with respect to the concepts but the sheer mass of info being thrown out and rapidly needing to synthesize it all sure is

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Finally graduating in May after 10 years of part time, with a couple of trainings, deployments and burnouts in the middle.

It feels very "its about time" but im gonna celebrate it and do the whole robes and ceremony because lol it was harder for me.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Also, has anyone found that being the old guy in group projects makes you the default group leader / mumbling cat herder?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Sacrist65 posted:

Finally graduating in May after 10 years of part time, with a couple of trainings, deployments and burnouts in the middle.

It feels very "its about time" but im gonna celebrate it and do the whole robes and ceremony because lol it was harder for me.

Congrats man, that's just about my story too, I know how it feels. That victory lap around campus is a memorable day.

Sacrist65 posted:

Also, has anyone found that being the old guy in group projects makes you the default group leader / mumbling cat herder?

lol yeah, that part sucked. my way out of it was acting as immature as possible (not difficult after the military)

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
A student visa to the UK is like $1,000. gently caress me.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Hey guys I got a provisional approval for waiver of my fall 2021 to summer 2022 tuition. I use the GI Bill for living expenses, though, and even being approved for this was a bit of a surprise. I'm in California, are there any scholarships or grants or anything you guys would recommend I look for? Not eating up the GI Bill would be cool but I don't exactly live in a low cost area and the BAH is like, a lot. Any feedback and experience appreciated.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

Does that come with the free healthcare?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

Once? Post your gofundme, I'll give you $20 right the gently caress now

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Grip it and rip it posted:

Does that come with the free healthcare?

Yes, that's the majority of the cost.

Well, "free." You'd better believe, though, I'm gonna try to get my money's worth.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Anyone have experience with VA overpayments? I got a note I owe money, both tuition and housing allowance overpayment. Housing, yeah great, got it but the tuition overpayment wasn't received by me but the institution. Going to drop a line to the vet center at the school about this but figured I would ask here. It is a very VA move to tell me to ante up for money I didn't receive, though, so that's fun.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

maffew buildings posted:

Anyone have experience with VA overpayments? I got a note I owe money, both tuition and housing allowance overpayment. Housing, yeah great, got it but the tuition overpayment wasn't received by me but the institution. Going to drop a line to the vet center at the school about this but figured I would ask here. It is a very VA move to tell me to ante up for money I didn't receive, though, so that's fun.

Yeah. I had to withdraw from classes. It came out of my disability for a while until I paid back the amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How did they overpay? Was it because they actually paid too much? Or was it because they later decided that a class you took wasn't actually something they'd pay for?