Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Honestly I haven't even pulled a switch off the wall yet, so I have no clue if I have a neutral. I'm guessing yes since the house was built in 99.

My house was built in 2012 and I had to have neutrals pulled in a few places. I don't know why it was inconsistent, but here we are. (The house is generally quite well-built, so I was surprised by the omission.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

Eufy's have it too, although might be another one of those things disabled when HomeKit support is turned on if that matters.

Eufy has a 2K indoor cam on sale for $40 right now:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0856W45VL

Looks like it would meet all my requirements, but curiously enough, half the cool poo poo is disabled if you add it to HomeKit according to the reviews, plus the resolution is limited to 1080p.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Are there any wall mounted "switches" that are just like HomeKit compatible inputs? I'm renting and the place I'm in doesn't have wall switches in half the rooms, set up some smart outlets to get around that, but wondering if there's a way to just mount a button to the wall to toggle some of the lights, rather than whipping out my phone.

Searching "smart switch" seems to only get actual, wired switches. I'm looking for something completely installation-free.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Plank Walker posted:

Are there any wall mounted "switches" that are just like HomeKit compatible inputs? I'm renting and the place I'm in doesn't have wall switches in half the rooms, set up some smart outlets to get around that, but wondering if there's a way to just mount a button to the wall to toggle some of the lights, rather than whipping out my phone.

Searching "smart switch" seems to only get actual, wired switches. I'm looking for something completely installation-free.

I was going to say Logitech POP but it seems to be discontinued :sigh:

I think Eve has one too, just checked and yes they do

https://www.evehome.com/en/eve-button

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Plank Walker posted:

I think the key words are 'zwave scene controller'. Most of those are just gonna be battery operated "smart buttons" that you can stick on the wall.

cp91886
Oct 26, 2005
I just bought my own place for the first time and am a complete novice at any home security stuff. Googling around shows there's about a 100 different companies doing diy home security. Is there any consensus on a basic rear end home security system, preferably without a contract or subscription? I'm not looking to do anything complex, a few door sensors, 1-2 outside cameras at most, maybe a motion sensor or two. Ultimately I'm just looking for something with a good app that will notify me if somebody is snooping on my porch and something that will set off an alarm if somebody breaks in. I'm not hooked into any ecosystem at the moment and don't really have a preference there

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
On the security system topic, is there anything which will let read the status of my existing PIRs into a raspberry pi or similar?

I'm specifically looking for something where I don't have to replace my existing system, I just want to piggyback off it for presence detection.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 25, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

yoloer420 posted:

On the security system topic, is there anything which will let read the status of my existing PIRs into a raspberry pi or similar?

I'm specifically looking for something where I don't have to replace my existing system, I just want to piggyback off it for presence detection.

Yeah, check what frequency they use and unless it’s a weird one you should be able to use a cheap radio receiver off Ali Express plus a cheap ESP8266 microcontroller along with something like ESPhome’s remote receiver component or OpenMQTTGateway to spit out your data. (You could also run it directly into a Pi but might have to find or write some code to poll the GPIO?)

Option 2 is an SDR dongle plus rtl_433 which should catch even less common PIRs, but is pricier.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I should have been clearer, my security system is all hard wired.

Ideally there is something better out there than home brewing a board to shift the voltage on each wire and then plugging it all into gpio.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

yoloer420 posted:

I should have been clearer, my security system is all hard wired.

Ideally there is something better out there than home brewing a board to shift the voltage on each wire and then plugging it all into gpio.

Depends on the system of course, but the standard (around here) DSC hardwired systems have a serial interface on the board that can be used for programming and status. Others probably do too.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm Pretty heavily invested in Hue, and I just moved to a house with retrofit LED can lights in many rooms. Without going down a rabbit hole of device compatibility can anyone recommend a replacement dimmer switch that will let me integrate the non-smart fixtures into the hue ecosystem?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Eufy has a 2K indoor cam on sale for $40 right now:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0856W45VL

Looks like it would meet all my requirements, but curiously enough, half the cool poo poo is disabled if you add it to HomeKit according to the reviews, plus the resolution is limited to 1080p.

Yea you lose a lot. Cant find this on the website but this is from the eufy app showing what features you lose in HomeKit https://imgur.com/a/36cJNok

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 28, 2021

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Finally got my network "closet" UPS added to HomeAssistant:

Took me forever to do once I decided I wanted it. Turns out at some point when shuffling things around I tossed the proprietary cable for the UPS (USB to RJ50), and for some reason I couldn't find a cheap/available replacement. Eventually dug up the cable pinout and ordered a RJ50 cable plus a solder USB-A plug from Digikey. Amazingly, despite my awful soldering skills, it all worked the first time.

Next project is to get my fiber ONT UPS set up. That's a bit trickier, since it's in the garage and on its own. Based on previous advice from this thread, the plan is to get a RPI and use NUT. I figured while I'm at it I can put a temp/humidity sensor on it and get some climate data from the garage as well. Mainly need the UPS data, though. That circuit is a GFI that tends to occasionally trip for no reason (I think I found and fixed the issue, but not 100% sure). There's also a fridge on that circuit, so it'd be awful nice to know that it's tripped BEFORE the ONT dies.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My Google Home minis last night started telling me the device isn't configured when I try to control the lights. They work fine through the home app. Am I the only one?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I haven't looked at the landscape for any of this in a good while and was wondering. What (if anything) is the most secure (or least worst) way to do the following:

Voice activate controls for lighting and some smart plugs.

Right now we have Alexa at the house and use that to drive a couple of Phillips Hue bulbs and a few TP-link or other (Kasa?) smart plugs. We had those tied into some Nest-E thermostats, but we've found that we don't really use the smart thermostat options much at all, and I don't feel strongly about having that be part of another home automation system.

I've got the Nests, the Echo and Echo Dots and all the smart plugs and Hue Bridge etc on a guest network separate from anything we use for our own computers etc. I'm interested in expanding some more smart lighting, especially voice activated but figured I'd see if anything new came out recently, or any further guidance on better security if needed etc. Any suggestions?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

General_Failure posted:

My Google Home minis last night started telling me the device isn't configured when I try to control the lights. They work fine through the home app. Am I the only one?

Apparently this is A Thing

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/lb6ahl/post_your_comments_here_on_the_device_not_yet_set/

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea you lose a lot. Cant find this on the website but this is from the eufy app showing what features you lose in HomeKit https://imgur.com/a/36cJNok

I own a Eufy 2K and it's pretty neat, and I don't run it in HomeKit mode as I find everything I need in the Eufy Security app.

What's also neat about the Eufy is that if you spring for their cam cloud, you can access your videos from Eufy's secured website with 2-factor authentication, meaning you don't have to keep going to your phone to view vids, you can do so on your laptop. WyzeCam doesn't do this, it's still app bound.

Also, you'd normally have to spend 2-3x the price to get the 2K resolution, which comes in handy if you're using it to cover a large area..

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was thinking, do you lose those features if you view it via the Home app, or even if you just enable HomeKit?

Like, I don't care about being limited to 1080p if I want to quickly check on my toddlers in Home, but having sound notifications come through via the app would be cool. But if they disable all that stuff, even in the app, just because you added it to HomeKit, that's kinda lame and I'd probably just stick with the Eufy app.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I have a Eufy2k that I use with HomeKit and that’s exactly how I do it. I can quickly check in via Home app, but the Eufy app will still push any movement or sound notifications.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I have a Eufy2k that I use with HomeKit and that’s exactly how I do it. I can quickly check in via Home app, but the Eufy app will still push any movement or sound notifications.

Awesome, thanks! Just ordered one.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So I got a WyzeCam v3; it's basically the v2 with a lot of tweaks, and still a good value for only the $20 I paid.

The resolution is the same as the v2 (1920 * 1080) but the sensor is way way better; it's sensitive enough to detect first magnitude stars if you felt like pointing it at the sky instead of a street or driveway. Video is crisp and clean, nearly perfect in daylight and good color definition even at night.

It now has two sets of IR emitters, for short and long range; great for unlit passageways and entrances.

The v3 is also now an indoor/outdoor camera with IP 65 resistance. Also the USB plug is now a standoff plug, it doesn't plug into the camera body anymore which I find a vastly better arrangement for positioning the cam.

Frame rate is also beefed up somewhat, from 15 fps daytime in the v2 to 20 fps daytime in the v3.

Mounting options included are exactly the same as the v2, two screws with anchors, magnetic plate, etc.

2-way talk is smoother, and they added a siren controlled from the app if you want to give someone a good scare or piss off the wildlife.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Awesome, thanks! Just ordered one.

Goddammit. This is so stupid.

e: Also, the camera following me while walking around the room is super creepy.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 6, 2021

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Also with follow motion, it just stares at the ceiling fan the whole time, ha. Might have to turn that off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Binary Badger posted:

So I got a WyzeCam v3; it's basically the v2 with a lot of tweaks, and still a good value for only the $20 I paid.

The resolution is the same as the v2 (1920 * 1080) but the sensor is way way better; it's sensitive enough to detect first magnitude stars if you felt like pointing it at the sky instead of a street or driveway. Video is crisp and clean, nearly perfect in daylight and good color definition even at night.

It now has two sets of IR emitters, for short and long range; great for unlit passageways and entrances.

The v3 is also now an indoor/outdoor camera with IP 65 resistance. Also the USB plug is now a standoff plug, it doesn't plug into the camera body anymore which I find a vastly better arrangement for positioning the cam.

Frame rate is also beefed up somewhat, from 15 fps daytime in the v2 to 20 fps daytime in the v3.

Mounting options included are exactly the same as the v2, two screws with anchors, magnetic plate, etc.

2-way talk is smoother, and they added a siren controlled from the app if you want to give someone a good scare or piss off the wildlife.

Where'd you find one? They seem to be perpetually OOS.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

sharkytm posted:

Where'd you find one? They seem to be perpetually OOS.

If you're a subscriber to their CAM plus cloud service, they'll give you first preference whenever they get a batch made.

Wyze is blaming the v3 availability on industry wide raw material shortages.. which is weird because I just read even Ford Motor is scaling down their production of F-150 trucks because they can't get enough chips for their onboard computer-controlled systems?!

Also forgot to mention it's still 2.4 GHz for WiFi only. Some people have complained that they can't get them to hook up with Netgear Orbi mesh systems properly because they force the same name to be used for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. This is fixable by, of all things, telnetting into the Orbi and using some commands to define a separate name for 5 GHz.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 7, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Binary Badger posted:

If you're a subscriber to their CAM plus cloud service, they'll give you first preference whenever they get a batch made.

Wyze is blaming the v3 availability on industry wide raw material shortages.. which is weird because I just read even Ford Motor is scaling down their production of F-150 trucks because they can't get enough chips for their onboard computer-controlled systems?!

Also forgot to mention it's still 2.4 GHz for WiFi only. Some people have complained that they can't get them to hook up with Netgear Orbi mesh systems properly because they force the same name to be used for both 2.4 and 5 GHz. This is fixable by, of all things, telnetting into the Orbi and using some commands to define a separate name for 5 GHz.

Cool. I've just got a Wyze scale, so I'm not on their cloud service. And yeah, parts availability sucks. Some of the ICs I use have a 24-week delivery, even in small quantities. The whole situation is hosed.

2.4GHz is fine by me. No need for 5G congestion.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

sharkytm posted:

Cool. I've just got a Wyze scale, so I'm not on their cloud service. And yeah, parts availability sucks. Some of the ICs I use have a 24-week delivery, even in small quantities. The whole situation is hosed.

2.4GHz is fine by me. No need for 5G congestion.

How is the scale? Was looking at getting a phone connected scale, that could link with apple health too.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Anyone figure out how to get August/Yale locks to reliably work with HomeKit?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Binary Badger posted:

This has been an issue for many 2.4GHz IOT devices with mesh systems. The solution that has never failed me is to disable 5GHz while configuring the device, then re-enable. Once the device has latched on to the 2.4GHz signal I have never had an issue with it reconnecting even with 5GHz re-enabled.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

How is the scale? Was looking at getting a phone connected scale, that could link with apple health too.

I don't have it connected to anything but the Wyze app, but it's good. Reasonably accurate and repeatable. We had issues getting 2 users set up, but we deleted the profiles and set them back up and now it works. My wife's pregnant, so the "weight only" mode is nice. No clue about Apple health or G-fit integration.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Has anyone used monitor.sh? It seems like eactly the sort of presence detection I want, but the documentation is lacking and pretty much ends after setting up the script, but I still need to implement it in Home Assistant.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Has anyone used monitor.sh? It seems like eactly the sort of presence detection I want, but the documentation is lacking and pretty much ends after setting up the script, but I still need to implement it in Home Assistant.

Do you mean this? https://github.com/andrewjfreyer/monitor

I’ve used it for a while and it works flawlessly. I have HA set up to trigger a scan when the front door is opened and a raspberry pi zero plugged in near the front door running that script.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slash posted:

Do you mean this? https://github.com/andrewjfreyer/monitor

I’ve used it for a while and it works flawlessly. I have HA set up to trigger a scan when the front door is opened and a raspberry pi zero plugged in near the front door running that script.

Yeah, I just cant figure out how to get the data into HA. The readme is incomplete and seems to assume a lot of familiarity with the used components.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

It uses MQTT to communicate. Do you have an mqtt server running(I use the mosquitto docker image) Or you can use the in-built home assistant one.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sharkytm posted:

I don't have it connected to anything but the Wyze app, but it's good. Reasonably accurate and repeatable. We had issues getting 2 users set up, but we deleted the profiles and set them back up and now it works. My wife's pregnant, so the "weight only" mode is nice. No clue about Apple health or G-fit integration.

You can link the Health app to Wyze and when you use the Wyze app to record the data the Health app will sync all the readings automatically.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

2-pack of Eufy 2K indoor cams for $76:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14851933-eufy-2k-indoor-cam-pan-tilt-2-cam-kit-76

I recently purchased one for my toddler's room and it's really nice. My only complaints are the features it disables (even in the Eufy app) if you have it added to HomeKit and the lack of more granular notification schedules. It's miles better than my actual baby monitor, minus the always-on screen remote, obviously.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

2-pack of Eufy 2K indoor cams for $76:
https://slickdeals.net/f/14851933-eufy-2k-indoor-cam-pan-tilt-2-cam-kit-76

I recently purchased one for my toddler's room and it's really nice. My only complaints are the features it disables (even in the Eufy app) if you have it added to HomeKit and the lack of more granular notification schedules. It's miles better than my actual baby monitor, minus the always-on screen remote, obviously.
Dang missed out, was planning to get another one or two eventually.

Weird thing about the one I have though, it's been "offline" from the Eufy app for a while now while still working in HomeKit the whole time. I'm not sure but I think I even unplugged/restarted it but that didn't do the trick. Not that it really matters cause it's basically just a static cam anyways. Could get the cheaper one and move this to another location...but the PTZ ones are only a few bucks more.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a recommendation.

I'm looking for a camera that captures audio that is preferably able to survive outdoors. The feature list I'd like, in order of importance would be:

- Audio and Video recording
- Something I can just plug into a Switch and power over PoE, which I can then just connect to via IP from a computer on the network.
- Quality Audio recording
- Quality Video recording

I don't want a whole 'hub'. I just want to record from my computer, or have it record locally on an SD card.

I'm pretty dumb at security cameras, so ask if there is something I should clarify. Budget is not much of a concern until we start talking high 3 figures.

E: The current best option I seem to have is the Ubiquity G3 Cameras. It seems to check the boxes. Thoughts?

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 27, 2021

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone that wants an AirPlay 2 audio adapter (besides an old rear end AirPort Express), looks like Belkin is coming out with one:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/02/24/belkin-planning-airplay-2-and-homekit-audio-adapter-for-retrofitting-smart-features/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation.

I'm looking for a camera that captures audio that is preferably able to survive outdoors. The feature list I'd like, in order of importance would be:

- Audio and Video recording
- Something I can just plug into a Switch and power over PoE, which I can then just connect to via IP from a computer on the network.
- Quality Audio recording
- Quality Video recording

I don't want a whole 'hub'. I just want to record from my computer, or have it record locally on an SD card.

I'm pretty dumb at security cameras, so ask if there is something I should clarify. Budget is not much of a concern until we start talking high 3 figures.

E: The current best option I seem to have is the Ubiquity G3 Cameras. It seems to check the boxes. Thoughts?

Any one of the "better" cheap chinese variants are able to do this. I'm running a bunch of ReoLink RLC-420s (dome) and 423s (PTZ).