Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

More depressing pet chat:

My oldest guinea pig is probably not long for this world. She's around 7 so pretty average age for dying but she's not showing obvious signs.
She's on some meds for issues that are not life threatening but she's sleeping much more than usual. She still eats and loves to cuddle but you can just tell.

Our first one upped and died suddenly about three months after getting him and we still don't know why. He just started coughing (something they're not supposed to do) and an hour later he was gone.

I don't want this one to pass yet. She was rescued from a hoarder that was breeding and eating them so we don't know exactly how old she is but we know she was at least old enough to have babies. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Inzombiac posted:

More depressing pet chat:

My oldest guinea pig is probably not long for this world. She's around 7 so pretty average age for dying but she's not showing obvious signs.
She's on some meds for issues that are not life threatening but she's sleeping much more than usual. She still eats and loves to cuddle but you can just tell.

Our first one upped and died suddenly about three months after getting him and we still don't know why. He just started coughing (something they're not supposed to do) and an hour later he was gone.

I don't want this one to pass yet. She was rescued from a hoarder that was breeding and eating them so we don't know exactly how old she is but we know she was at least old enough to have babies. Ugh.

oh GOD :stonk:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Guinea Pigs are eaten in south america and some places in the US.

raised on farms, not in someone's overstuffed house, that is.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Huh. Interesting.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Invictus posted:

Guinea Pigs are eaten in south america and some places in the US.

raised on farms, not in someone's overstuffed house, that is.

In South America they farm cuy guinea pigs, which are about 3X the size of American domesticated pigs.
The ones I'm talking about have nary a scrap of meat on them. She was hosed in the head and said she could only eat FRESH meat because she had MS.

Literally hundreds of guinea pigs, rabbits and dogs in Washington. Absolutely hosed.

Edit
The one in the center is part-cuy and the one on the right is a standard pet size.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Starting off the day great by waking up and groggily automatically going to let my dog out like I always do, and there's nobody there.

I know the pain will fade eventually, but this is rough.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I ran over a cat turd with the snow blower

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Spent half an hour of phone-minutes straightening out a pharmacy problem that everyone blames on everyone else. Never did figure out who the Rx pink-eye drops were meant for, but at least it was just a paperwork goof and not a scam or drug-seeker.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Last year I had to put down my pet hedgehog. I did it at home, in a homemade CO2 chamber. I found the DIY online, from a dude who had to put down his hamster. And it was so much easier than taking him to a vet, stressing him out on the car ride, and going to a horrible strange smelling place.

Well, easier for him. Not as much for me. I did a trial run with the tote (it was an old ice cream bucket), and then with an elderly mouse. And then Urchin.

I wish there was an easy way to do that for cats and dogs because gently caress it, the vet is a scary rear end place even if it's for just a checkup. And yes, I have heard of the home euthansia vets that come to you (a local one is called, I poo poo you not, Happy Endings.) but they are still strangers. I've worked with animals all my life, done all kinds of meds, I can probably get a needle lined up for the proper shot.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Invictus posted:

Starting off the day great by waking up and groggily automatically going to let my dog out like I always do, and there's nobody there.

I know the pain will fade eventually, but this is rough.

When I had to have my dog put down a few years ago I looked for her around the house for months afterwards, and kept expecting her to be waiting when I opened the front door. And sometimes I even vaguely saw moving shapes at ankle level for a split second when walking around the house. The mind fills in the blanks when something is suddenly absent. It’s hard to be reminded, but think of it as a blessing that you had such a long happy time together and that’s why your brain can’t stay in the present day.

Wishing you the best, just remember that the happy memories and their love will be with you forever.

Hedrigall has a new favorite as of 01:38 on Feb 7, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Cowslips Warren posted:

Last year I had to put down my pet hedgehog. I did it at home, in a homemade CO2 chamber. I found the DIY online, from a dude who had to put down his hamster. And it was so much easier than taking him to a vet, stressing him out on the car ride, and going to a horrible strange smelling place.

Well, easier for him. Not as much for me. I did a trial run with the tote (it was an old ice cream bucket), and then with an elderly mouse. And then Urchin.

I wish there was an easy way to do that for cats and dogs because gently caress it, the vet is a scary rear end place even if it's for just a checkup. And yes, I have heard of the home euthansia vets that come to you (a local one is called, I poo poo you not, Happy Endings.) but they are still strangers. I've worked with animals all my life, done all kinds of meds, I can probably get a needle lined up for the proper shot.

CO2 is very humane if you do it right. I've put down hundreds (if not thousands) of mice and as long as you hit them with just enough to make them sleep first (as opposed to cranking up the CO2 and triggering suffocation distress response) they pass out and die peacefully :unsmith:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is a petty whinge.

Back in Sept. I accepted a job to start working in Japan at the start of the 2021 School year in March. Now, due to the extension of the State of Emergency in Tokyo etc. Yesterday they told me that I won't be able to arrive until at least mid April. And that is if all goes well and smoothly, with COVID settling itself down.

The whinge I have is that this means I have to spend at least an extra month and a half, (in addition to the more than 8 months I have already endured), as an unemployed middle aged man living in his parents spare bedroom.

I apologize again for the pettiness of my whinge.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm sorry for your loss. I really and truly am. About this time of year several years ago we had to do the same to Clinton, our first dog. He wasn't even particularly old, he was barely 7, but he had the most aggressive congenital spine degeneration that the vet said he'd ever seen, especially at that age- his hind legs just no longer worked, at all. His mind was perfectly fine, and that made it hurt even more.

I can't speak for your vet, but ours did try to make it less clinical- said that he still slipped into it sometimes, because it's easier to deal with doing what needs doing in that mindset. Don't hold it too much against them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I get it, especially in her case where literally half her job is euthanasia(she only works 3 days a week at the clinic, the other two days are house euthanasia calls), so she needs to be extremely detached to not get crushed by it over time. But the blow-by-blow of what they're doing like reading off a checklist really was, uh, the opposite of helpful in that situation.

We're going to have to get a dog(or a bonded pair) sooner rather than later, I think. The echoing emptiness of the house is far too apparent without a dog in it. Not having a dog to say hello to or pet or play with as you go out to the kitchen or greet you when you return home is too painful, and providing a good home for rescues is also a good thing to do.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

My dang bed is too soft; it's murder on my back. I have to sleep on my old couch which is a little better at least. I wish my body had chosen a less dramatic way to tell me I'm getting old. :(

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My boss teed me up to talk about my project during a meeting and I get four words in before he goes, "Alright moving on..."
No explanation, no follow-up. It's not like I was going to implicate him in something, it was a simple status update.

I've given up on ever having a dream job but I sure would like one where I didn't feel like I was a bother to everyone (I'm the only non-engineer on my team, make of that what you will.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Biplane posted:

My dang bed is too soft; it's murder on my back. I have to sleep on my old couch which is a little better at least. I wish my body had chosen a less dramatic way to tell me I'm getting old. :(

If I sleep on something too soft my knees and hip on the side I slept on feel like they’re on fire. I have a high pain tolerance but it’s agonizing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Do you use anything to keep your legs level while you sleep on your side? I use a rolled up inside-out sleeping bag, works amazingly. Cushions my arms and legs, keeps the knees from banging together, keeps my legs level so my hips, knees and spine don't hurt nearly as much as they used to.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My day was lovely because I had an old alarm forgotten on my phone that woke me up at 3:30AM in the night. I went up, put on coffee, showered and fed the cats and was getting dressed when I noticed the microwave clock saying 3:45. I thought what, did we lose power during the night, but all the clocks sayd 3:45, even my phone. I've gotten up in the middle of the night and I still had two hours of sleep left...

Well I tried to go back to sleep, felt like when I finally got a good sleep the real alarm rings. Then it's all stressfull, gotta wake the kids, forget my wallet, need to get gas or I won't make it so I gotta go back home and get my wallet, late for work, tired, stressed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

His Divine Shadow posted:

Then it's all stressfull, gotta wake the kids, forget my wallet, need to get gas or I won't make it so I gotta go back home and get my wallet, late for work, tired, stressed.

For me, when I feel rushed in the morning I find setting my alarm for 15 minutes or so earlier helps me manage my time and not feel so rushed. Maybe you can try that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Getting to bed late, and then abruptly waking up an hour and a half before I was supposed to and being immediately wide awake so it's not worth trying to fall back asleep

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

oldpainless posted:

For me, when I feel rushed in the morning I find setting my alarm for 15 minutes or so earlier helps me manage my time and not feel so rushed. Maybe you can try that?

I got this morning routine and it has worked pretty well. 5:50 to 6:40 is me time for waking up. Shower, feed cats, drink a few cups of coffee and eat something usually while watching youtube or reading the SA newspaper comics thread, sometimes petting a cat too. Then I wake the kids and ideally we're out of the door 7:10 to 7:15. This day it took until 7:25!

I don't want to wake the kids any earlier than I do now, they need their sleep. But sometimes they can be complete bastards about getting ready. And the lateness was ocmpounded because a bridge we go over is shut down for maintenance so I had to take a pretty big detour.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I had to put my dog down today, this stupid rear end year has taken so much from me. I have literally been crying all day since I woke up. gently caress cancer.

I have poo poo I have to do today, how the hell am I doing that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LeafyOrb posted:

I had to put my dog down today, this stupid rear end year has taken so much from me. I have literally been crying all day since I woke up. gently caress cancer.

I have poo poo I have to do today, how the hell am I doing that.
sorry for your loss, and welcome, friend. it's hard. so hard. I had to do the same a couple weeks back and I still look into the kitchen where her bed was when I go downstairs, I dunno when it'll stop being an automatic response.

I'm currently looking for new dogs, I was going to wait a while before getting any other dogs, but the house just doesn't feel right, it feels too empty, without at least one dog in it. At first I felt guilty that I was "just trying to replace her", but realized that it's more than just having a replacement dog. the house is too big for just two people, and there are plenty of shelter dogs who could use a good home.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When my hedgehog died last year, I was a loving mess. I didn't want to bury or get rid of his body. But after a week or so my mom asked if I had thought about getting another one. I said maybe, and that I had looked into rescues, but lost interest after a glance at the rescue nearby. She didn't, and started asking me when I'd fill out applications for a girl one we found online, and only stopped asking when I screamed at her to loving drop it.

I canned-air-blew out my computer today to get rid of dust and now it doesn't seem like the fan is blowing as much air out, and the case feels warm. Of course I've been playing games most of the day too.

My friend is going through some rough times, or was, I'm not sure anymore; we used to talk every night, and always ran an online rpg most nights too. But covid has been a bitch, and she has a toddler, her husband doesn't help much, and she is trying to get a new job. The weird thing is, we did take a break from playing over the summer for a few weeks, got back into things, took another break when her work got too bad and she was almost fired, and now it's this odd kinda "we won't DM each other every day" because she plays WoW and has raids some nights, and is doing another online game, and I can never tell what night she is actually on for our play...maybe the friendship has run its course. It's sad to think about, but maybe that's all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
things on my mind, weighing me down.

my heart incident last month, despite my cardiologist saying I'm fine and the echocardiogram shows nothing physically wrong with my heart outside of occasional errant beats, has had me dwelling on mortality a lot lately, my own, my parents, all my pets dying recently, etc. Work hasn't been TOO stressful and yet it's stressing me out all the same, knowing that the pension I am earning likely won't even exist by the time I can apply for it, watching them incrementally make work that much harder for each employee, etc. having to stop my medication because of it potentially being the catalyst for the heart thing isn't helping at all. Existential dread, seeing most folks I know married with kids now while I've never found someone who I've been with for more than a year and especially with the pandemic have had an even harder time finding or meeting anyone let alone basic socializing, anxiety about finances, the state of everything these days, typical poo poo. It's all piling on all at once all of a sudden and it is taxing. I want to take the medication again because it allowed me to properly compartmentalize problems instead of laser-focusing on them constantly all day, but I also hate, hate, hate the side effects of the drug, and every other one like it I have taken or been recommended has similar side effects or worse. I'm hoping that it's just caused by withdrawal from residual medication in my system and I'll settle back in to a relatively "normal" mental state soon, but if it doesn't, I'm not entirely sure what my plan will be. My uncle apparently does a lot of stuff with medical marijuana so I'm thinking that might be worth looking into if I can't take my other medication and this doesn't settle down soon.

I'm not suicidal or anything(that's one thing I've always been ironclad about even at my worst), it's just not being able to dissociate a lot of things and my mind going a million miles an hour constantly lately is stressing me out. My mind wandering to things years or even decades past and dwelling on them, past traumas coming back to haunt me at completely irrelevant times, it's terrible. I talk to my coworker who is happy as a clam and doesn't sweat basically anything and wish I could be like that and not, well, think about everything.

and then there was the nightmare. the vivid, lifelike nightmare I had six months ago or so which was literally just the slow process of death, suddenly being unable to move my body, my vision faded into black, my hearing turned into deafening ringing and then nothing, my lungs stopped taking in air, my heartbeat slowed to nothing, and I fell away into darkness like slipping under the surface of a lake, and then oblivion. I woke drenched in sweat, terrified, grasping my chest to make sure my heart was still beating. It was the most horrifically real-feeling nightmare I've ever had and it's been haunting me ever since, I suddenly remember it out of nowhere every couple weeks. I hate it.

I've seen countless therapists the last few years and it's getting to the point where I was traveling further and further away(prior to covid) because there's nobody else nearby I can see, and none have helped long term for the most part. I'll tell ya, it's not a great feeling when you sit down with a therapist and start talking about things and they burst into tears because the poo poo I've seen in my life is so horrific or faith-in-humanity-shattering that even they can't take it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the entire week has been one long anxiety attack. back on the meds, but they actually didn't help because it takes time for it to work and I need to ease into it more than I was. Now also on anti-anxiety meds at least temporarily. hopefully this helps, because this has been a hellish week, I've not felt this way constantly since the months after my sister's murder.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I still randomly think about texting my dad, or I'll make a mental note of something I saw that he'd like, and he died in August. Combine that with general anxiety, major depression, and having been through some traumatic poo poo over the past year and life is just... pain.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My life is pretty good so why the gently caress does my body go into random loving anxiety attacks that make me freeze up?

I had three fuckups today at work that I barely managed to unfuck before I had an accident. I emailed my boss right off to let her know (the cameras showed it all anyway) and while she says it's fine, I'm on loving needles afraid she will call me back sometime this week and demand answers.

My cat Bug has the horrible shits again. She was on meds recently, then off them, about a month of no issues, and now super loose stools all over. She's stuck in my room now, and I have shower curtain liners down all over, and she messes on them at least once or twice a day. Her tail is hanging badly from the base, so I'm worried she hurt herself somehow and that's why she has such loose poo poo. Like muscles got torn or something.

My period is on its way and I just want to rip all that out and be done with it.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
That sucks. But as far as your job, it sounds like you don’t need to worry.

As far as the kitten, did you try citrucel or some other soluble fiber supplement? I think I read about your (horrible, horrible) diarrhea kitty and someone said some sort of supplement but the key is really the soluble fiber. It absorbs water and makes a gel that helps move things through the digestive system, so it helps with both constipation or diarrhea. INsoluble fiber can get things moving but it doesn’t help with diarrhea. (I had a cat with IBD so I learned a lot about poop :( A pinch of unflavored citrucel on his food twice a day fixed the whole liquid poo poo problem.)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Joburg posted:

That sucks. But as far as your job, it sounds like you don’t need to worry.

As far as the kitten, did you try citrucel or some other soluble fiber supplement? I think I read about your (horrible, horrible) diarrhea kitty and someone said some sort of supplement but the key is really the soluble fiber. It absorbs water and makes a gel that helps move things through the digestive system, so it helps with both constipation or diarrhea. INsoluble fiber can get things moving but it doesn’t help with diarrhea. (I had a cat with IBD so I learned a lot about poop :( A pinch of unflavored citrucel on his food twice a day fixed the whole liquid poo poo problem.)

It's Fortiflora or something, I can't see if it is water soluble or not.

Oh hey thanks karma, for a better day than yesterday until I went to leave work, started the car, and sounded like a teenage grunge band going off. And check engine light comes on. Managed to get to PepBoys, and looks like the catalytic converter and oxygen probes and now I'm about out $900 or so. I still need to do my taxes, maybe I will get a refund to help cover this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Actually looking at more like $1,500 because someone stole the converter and busted up the pipes connecting it.

gently caress. gently caress you thieves may you choke on your loving meth!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Almost lost my loving hand at work today and now I'm a loving mental wreck.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Detheros posted:

Almost lost my loving hand at work today and now I'm a loving mental wreck.

Did you leave it in the break room again? Gotta start labeling it.

glad you're safe!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did you leave it in the break room again? Gotta start labeling it.

glad you're safe!

Nah the break room is next door to the one with the machine I nearly lost a fight with :v:

ngl, I needed that laugh, so thanks.

I have full movement in my hand/wrist so it looks like all I'll have to deal with is a nasty cut and some numbness for a bit, sucks that it was my left hand and I'm left handed but it's better that the alternative.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Is it gonna scar? People love scar stories. When I was like 7 I was running around a pool with a towel, tripped on it, and smashed my face on the side of the pool and slid into the water. Now, I got a cool face scar by my eye and a million different stories about how I got it. That could be a future shark bite story at a bar, my friend.

Not losing any function is just a bonus!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I like my stupid scar story on how I learned not to gently caress with knives. I got a professional grade modeling knife as a kid from my dad so I could better work on miniatures. Literally the very first thing I did upon taking it out of the packaging was hold the packaging in one hand from the bottom, cut downward from the top to see how sharp the knife was, and slice straight through all the way down directly into my thumb and cut straight to the bone. So my birthday present swiftly turned into a birthday trip to the emergency room.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I'd be shocked if it didn't scar with how deep it is at one area.

I also have a knife scar, well linoleum cutter from art class in 8th grade, but still. :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Detheros posted:

Nah the break room is next door to the one with the machine I nearly lost a fight with :v:

ngl, I needed that laugh, so thanks.

I have full movement in my hand/wrist so it looks like all I'll have to deal with is a nasty cut and some numbness for a bit, sucks that it was my left hand and I'm left handed but it's better that the alternative.

What exactly happened? I’m a safety guy so I like to hear about poo poo like that so I know more things to look out for in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Hand got caught in plate loading machine (I print newspapers/advertising for a living) while it was operating, my fault there, had a bar press against my arm just below the wrist and was crushing it against where it would rest normally.