Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's weird that the implication is Lily was the first mother to die protecting her child. You'd think parents dying for their kids is something common enough that someone as learned as Voldemort would be aware of the magic it causes. They were only like 30 years removed from OG wizard Hitler's war. Voldemort lived through it. No parents died for their kids during that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's just the sort of thing that belongs in a world of whimsey but clashes a bit with the later war stories tone. Rowling veers towards suggesting that something else was going on with Dumbledore/the Horcruxes specifically that made it work, but never pulls the trigger even though "ancient mother magic that saves your life but forces you to live with your abusive blood relatives" is super messed up.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's weird that the implication is Lily was the first mother to die protecting her child. You'd think parents dying for their kids is something common enough that someone as learned as Voldemort would be aware of the magic it causes. They were only like 30 years removed from OG wizard Hitler's war. Voldemort lived through it. No parents died for their kids during that one?

IIRC this is actually addressed, Dumbledore tells Harry that somebody as knowledgeable about magic as Voldemort should absolutely have known about the magical significance of Lily's sacrifice. Voldy however didn't really put any stock in ~the power of love~ and between that and his own hubris probably wasn't even capable in the moment of countenancing the idea that any kind of magic invoked by Lily's love would surpass his own power to kill.

e. This is also by the way why Voldemort ultimately getting beaten by wand law technicalities is dumb as poo poo. It's established that Voldy's one weakness is that his disregard for the power of bonds of genuine love and friendship, because they're something he's incapable of fostering and so he considers them beneath him. But then in book four he just bullshits some immunity to it and from then on Harry just gets saved over and over by wand bullshit - first the twin cores thing, then the Elder Wand ownership hot potato. Thematically Harry really should have won by cultivating a new magic powered by the friends he made along the way that Voldemort - as he did with Lily's sacrifice - underestimated to his doom. But I guess Jo just really needed to shoehorn in her magical mcguffins.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 2, 2021

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Voldemort walking into a dozen rakes labelled 'obvious downfalls of villain in a prophecy' and he just keeps going

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

There's also something Dumbledore points out about one of the wand things in 7 that kind of hammers home that the special magic Harry keeps getting only applies specifically to Voldemort who keeps accidentally handing Harry weapons through his hubris. If Harry had been AK'ed by any other wizard it would just be dead, but Tommy kept adding extra layers of esoteric magic onto their bond because of his obsession.

So it probably doesn't come up a ton of time that some wizard specifically wants to kill a baby, someone sacrifices themselves for that baby and then the wizard is like "ah yes I will still personally murder this baby (instead of leaving it alone to starve)". Maybe in the heat of war someone dives in front of their child then the same person gets their spell rebounded, but it's just as likely that someone else who wasn't the original curse caster kills the original target (or you know, children aren't usually high priority targets in war).

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
^yea that's a good explanation. He kept making his bond with Harry ever-deeper, essentially making the prophecy self-fulfilling when it didn't have to matter at all.

It was Voldemort's hubris about love and also killing being the ultimate power that makes him lose. He underestimates Snape's love and assumes automatically that killing is necessary to transfer power of a magical artifact. He sacrifices a powerful, helpful ally and goes to his doom because he can't fathom that love is a thing, that trust matters, that Snape's help is not just about power and he can do everything important himself, anyway (oh except get a body back and a billion other things).

It also plays into his fear of death. To him, death is ignominy and total destruction so why would you ever stun or disarm when you could kill? He's sort of objectivist and thinks deep-down everyone either thinks like him and just denies it or is weak. Of course the Elder Wand could only be transferred by killing and the wizard who made it would definitely have made it that way or else it would not be worth possessing.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
A romantic comedy featuring voldemort going on a bunch of dates to destroy harry potter, until he falls in love for real and needs Harry's help to win her over.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
Tom Riddle falls in love, gets the person with Harry's help and finds the strength to feel regret and repair his soul.

Sir Cadogan and Dumbledore (from their portraits) begin dating.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

There's also something Dumbledore points out about one of the wand things in 7 that kind of hammers home that the special magic Harry keeps getting only applies specifically to Voldemort who keeps accidentally handing Harry weapons through his hubris. If Harry had been AK'ed by any other wizard it would just be dead, but Tommy kept adding extra layers of esoteric magic onto their bond because of his obsession.

So it probably doesn't come up a ton of time that some wizard specifically wants to kill a baby, someone sacrifices themselves for that baby and then the wizard is like "ah yes I will still personally murder this baby (instead of leaving it alone to starve)". Maybe in the heat of war someone dives in front of their child then the same person gets their spell rebounded, but it's just as likely that someone else who wasn't the original curse caster kills the original target (or you know, children aren't usually high priority targets in war).

He does make Harry essentially immortal at the end of GoF by making himself his pseudo-horcrux so the window of opportunity for a random wizard to get him passes. Hilariously Dumbledore seems to be relying on the fact that Harry isn't competent enough to kill Voldemort first or it'd be the other way round.

I always thought that Lily's sacrifice was more that it wasn't an immediate subconscious choice, that she had time to think and consciously chose to die in Harry's place. So while it would have happened before it's not like an every day thing.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My favorite part about Voldemort attacking Harry as a baby was how everyone told Harry that James was this amazing duelist who fought desperately against Voldemort to buy his wife and kid some time to escape. And then in one of the later books, Harry gets a memory or vision from Voldemort about that night and we're shown that James immediately bit it to Voldemort without even a fight. :v:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dumbledore should have armed all his guys with Fawkes tail feather wands

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

amigolupus posted:

My favorite part about Voldemort attacking Harry as a baby was how everyone told Harry that James was this amazing duelist who fought desperately against Voldemort to buy his wife and kid some time to escape. And then in one of the later books, Harry gets a memory or vision from Voldemort about that night and we're shown that James immediately bit it to Voldemort without even a fight. :v:

I like how James is hyped up as this incredibly gifted wizard who's also smart and attractive like some gigachad, but then in all his movie appearances he looks like the dweeb who sits three cubes down from you that snitches to the boss about people who leave 15 minutes early. Guy really peaked in high school I guess.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sydin posted:

I like how James is hyped up as this incredibly gifted wizard who's also smart and attractive like some gigachad, but then in all his movie appearances he looks like the dweeb who sits three cubes down from you that snitches to the boss about people who leave 15 minutes early. Guy really peaked in high school I guess.

I struggle to think of an HP character who didn't peak in high school. They're all certainly forever relitigating it in their adult lives.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Literally all the characters marry and start popping out kids at 18 and then get government careers so

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

When you only go to one school, and everyone in your country went there too, that's probably what would happen, yeah.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I struggle to think of an HP character who didn't peak in high school. They're all certainly forever relitigating it in their adult lives.

George, and to a lesser extent Fred.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Doctor Spaceman posted:

George, and to a lesser extent Fred.

the one weasley who marries fleur and tames dragons or whatever too

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Dumbledore should have armed all his guys with Fawkes tail feather wands

Yeah this is one of the small things that bothered me on my latest reread. Certainly even the super eccentric Olivander wasn't constantly getting like, only a single tail hair from every unicorn. He even makes a point to say "that particular phoenix only gave two feathers" as if he would normally try to get more. Like why wouldn't you try and buy in bulk. There's no way the twin core thing was all that rare, hell you'd figure as he was making wands and selling them each school year that you'd have a few matches in each grade who could never duel each other since their wands would go apeshit.

Aardvark! posted:

the one weasley who marries fleur and tames dragons or whatever too

Weirdly the hip one who dates super models and wears dragonskin boots works for the bank. The other one who is barely ever on screen is the dragon tamer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's also implied that he's a grave robber and that wizarding gold is all stolen from muggles.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Guy A. Person posted:

Weirdly the hip one who dates super models and wears dragonskin boots works for the bank. The other one who is barely ever on screen is the dragon tamer.

Lmao, I think it's the boots that make me confuse them. Not that it's remotely hard given their combined contributions to the story

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah Charlie is the one who gets the short end of the stick to be sure and I don't think he even gets to come to the final battle, I think he's just off in Romania recruiting other wizards for the majority of the last book. I think at a certain point there's only so much Rowling could do with "older Weasely brother who isn't a douchebag traitor like Percy" because there's even a joke about Molly cutting his hair for the wedding which is just directly recycled from a joke about Bill in GoF.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Some Goon posted:

When you only go to one school, and everyone in your country went there too, that's probably what would happen, yeah.

A clever writer, or at least a slightly less asleep at the wheel hack, would have some theming about how the literal magic of the universe figuratively saps the more basic magic of living a full, complex life from its users. It seems to be happening so may as well engage with it a little and get up to the literary level of most other elementary school books.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's also implied that he's a grave robber and that wizarding gold is all stolen from muggles.

Its not even implication, just flat out stated. He's a 'Curse Breaker' who works for Gringotts and spends the first few books of the series removing curses on the pyramids in Egypt to acquire their treasures.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's pretty common for stories centering on high school to have its characters peak as teenagers, settle on their romantic partner for life, and then graduation is just fading away into a vaguely cheerful future.

The other day I was reading Silver Spoon, and it had a really good ending where as everybody is graduating from high school, they're not freed from responsibilities, they're scrambling to get set with the next phase of their lives; trying to get into college, looking for a job, or setting up a new life for themselves. That's a story I could easily see continuing onward, even though they chose to end it there.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Zore posted:

Its not even implication, just flat out stated. He's a 'Curse Breaker' who works for Gringotts and spends the first few books of the series removing curses on the pyramids in Egypt to acquire their treasures.

Well he may be a wizard, but he's still British

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What would’ve happened if Tommy just took out a Glock and capped Harry and his mother?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Luna, maybe? She didn't marry anyone she knew in high school and regularly goes on globetrotting adventures to find new magical creatures.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

What would’ve happened if Tommy just took out a Glock and capped Harry and his mother?

“I have access to magic Dumbledore never dreamed of”

*pulls out a hand grenade*

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nitrousoxide posted:

https://i.imgur.com/Mx4msTZ.mp4

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Guy A. Person posted:

“I have access to magic Dumbledore never dreamed of”

*pulls out a hand grenade*

we would have the boy who lived to be dirty harry potter

rowling is too big a coward for gun wizards

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Literally all the characters marry and start popping out kids at 18 and then get government careers so

Again, literally just the British upper class.

Actually makes a lot of sense when you realise the whole plot is basically equivalent to the Republican donors turning on the chud base they've spent decades radicalising after the Capitol march threatens to actually make people stop putting up with their poo poo. Voldemort is Trump, who says the quiet part loud and doesn't follow decorum.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Again, literally just the British upper class.

Actually makes a lot of sense when you realise the whole plot is basically equivalent to the Republican donors turning on the chud base they've spent decades radicalising after the Capitol march threatens to actually make people stop putting up with their poo poo. Voldemort is Trump, who says the quiet part loud and doesn't follow decorum.

Voldemort = trump

Just that simple folks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

Voldemort = trump

Just that simple folks

The joke is, not for the reasons everyone usually says.

Harry is Mitt Romney

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
please read,

another book

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ungulateman posted:

please read,

another book

buddy, i'm not even reading this one

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

josh04 posted:

buddy, i'm not even reading this one

wise af

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

ungulateman posted:

please read,

another book

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

he's from an alternate universe version of the thread where we're all showing off our deathly hallows tattoos

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm re-reading the Silmarillion rn, a nice break from six months of delicious potter content

what's literature?

e: lol that people get dark mark tattoos.
e2: i say that while having the white tree of gondor on my shoulder

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I only read gender bending isekai light novels