Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

Those of you who recently played Andromeda again, is it realistic to try and play through it without doing all the stupid open world bullshit? It's available on EA Play now just not sure if I want to get started on it just to find out I have to do 374372843 fuckin fetch quests that don't advance the plot

Most of the side quests have no real bearing on the plot or the ending, and since the Andromeda storyline has been cauterized by BioWare and EA, there's no worry in skipping any of them or leaving them unfinished, especially if they seem like they're bullshit, like the aforementioned 25-step "Track down this sick lady, oops she's been everywhere like 90 times somehow" near-endgame quest.

Main storyline Andromeda is charming enough and relatively quick that it's at least worth a play though. If you can get it for cheap or free, by all means go for it. But I'd also recommend browsing the Nexus mods catalog and scooping up as many quality of life-improving mods from there as you can, because the modding community really went to town fixing a bunch of things EA just gave the gently caress up on.

If you want, I can put together a curated mod list for Andromeda like Lt. Danger did for ME1-2-3 to help get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Imagine playing mutliplayer and being anything other than a volus.

DoubleNegative posted:

"This one is Shepard-Commander, and this retail outlet is this one's favorite on the Citadel."

The entire game is just that 4chan D&D post about the player secretly being a bear and no one noticing.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

nine-gear crow posted:

If you want, I can put together a curated mod list for Andromeda like Lt. Danger did for ME1-2-3 to help get started.
If this isn't a massive pain in the rear end I'd love to know which mods make the game more of a linear/contained story (yes I'm one of the weirdos who really liked DA2) and allow someone to just play through it without all the stupid fluff

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Sally posted:

i did the same and my experience was much the same.

i had fun, in short. glad i got it super on sale haha. kept my expectations low.

Same, although it took over halfway through before I started to actually enjoy it. I got it for $20 around 6 months after it was released so I figured it was going to be a dumpster fire and turns out it was sorta lovely at times but I got my money's worth in the end. I didn't find it to be very memorable, though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

Some new images:

Well, that just looks stupid. Why do so many remasters make everything bright?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It looks fine imo.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
I need to see it in action before I know how I'll feel about the lighting changes. Virmire looked amazing in that 20~ second clip. Also I'm sure there will be a mod Day 1 that adds a red hue to Eden Prime lol

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

ErrEff posted:

Hmmmm, only $150 for this! https://gear.bioware.com/products/mass-effect-legendary-cache

At least it's better than the Halo 3 helmet, they claim humans can actually wear this one.

good lord, ea never change.

:bioware: :bioware: :bioware:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
remains to be seen what the end product is like, but i'm impressed they seem to have put a significant amount of work into updating ME1 specifically.

i'll probably pick this up as soon as there's a bigger sale (which by ea standards shouldn't be too long).

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

thrilla in vanilla posted:

It looks fine imo.

I guess. It seems kind of stylized, and I don’t know how to feel about it. Hopefully it’s a little more reserved than those comparison shots make it look.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

it's not improbable that they'll react to the feedback. i don't like straying too far from the original vision either, especially when it's clearly an artistic choice not (just) a technical one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

If this isn't a massive pain in the rear end I'd love to know which mods make the game more of a linear/contained story (yes I'm one of the weirdos who really liked DA2) and allow someone to just play through it without all the stupid fluff

REQUIRED
Frosty Tool Suite - The program needed to load and deploy mods into Mass Effect: Andromeda (and any EA game that runs on the Frostbite Engine).

GENERAL GAMEPLAY OVERHAULS
MEA Performance Tweaks - General gameplay performance and stability improvements.
MEA Fixpack - Fixes a bunch of little errors and issues that BioWare gave up on and left unpatched.
More Skill Points Per Level - Lets you level up skills faster.
DLC Weapons Rank V With Rank X Stats - Brings the DLC weapons previously capped at Level V stats in line with the regular weapons by scaling their status to normal Level X levels.
Better Squad - Ups squad damage, health and skills to bring them closer to par with Ryder.
100 Font Andromeda (Actually See Words) - Increases Andromeda's teeny tiny font size to readable levels.
Audiolog Positional Audio Fix - Fixes positional audio balancing issues.
Right In The Eye - Fixes conversation camera angles.
Hyper Mobility - Greatly increases player sprinting/jumping/hover jet abilities.

PLOT FIXES
Nakmor Drack Clutch Moment Mission Always Available - Unlocks Drack's final companion mission after you beat the game, regardless of the choice you make during "Hunting the Archon".
Andromeda Romance Mods - Unlocks more romance options for the player.

MODS TO CUT DOWN ON CRAFTING BULLSHIT
Fast Mining - Speeds up resource mining on explorable worlds.
We Had The Blueprints... - Makes research and development super cheap.
Better Loot - Showers you in loot to speed things up.
Tempest Super Store - Unlocks just about every item in the Tempest's onboard store.
Increased AVP and Settlement Perks - Increases the amount of points and perks gained from making habitable worlds viable.

WEAPON/COMBAT BALANCING
Balanced Weapons patch 1.10
Powers Boosted and Balanced
Balanced Melee Weapons
No Scope No Problem - Removes the 50% damage reduction penalty for blind firing sniper rifles.
MP Weapons in SP - Adds multiplayer-exclusive weapons to the game's single player roster.
X5 Ghost Fixed Lights - Fixes the bugged lights on the X5 Ghost rifle.

SMALL STUFF
Weather Mod - Voeld - Makes the weather on Voeld more extreme before completing the Remnant Vault mission.
Nomad 4WD and 6WD New Display Mod - Gives a clearer HUD distinction between 4WD and 6WD modes for the Nomad.

VISUAL OVERHAULS
Better teeth for Angara - Fixes the ugly teeth for Angaran characters.
Default Scott Overhaul - Tweaks Default Male Ryder.
Custom Scott Overhaul- Tweaks Custom Male Ryder.
Default Sara Overhaul - Tweaks Default Female Ryder.
Custom Sara Overhaul - Tweaks Custom Female Ryder.
Addison Tweak - Fixes Foster Addison's infamous tired face.
Young Sloan - Fixes Sloan Kelly's bizarrely wizened default appearance.
Cora and Liam Overhaul - Various hair and outfit tweaks for Cora and Liam.
Alien Squadmates Overhaul Peebee Vetra and Jaal Armors - Various outfit tweaks for Peebee, Vetra, and Jaal.
Initiative Squad Armors - Retextures Drack, Peebee, Vetra, and Jaal's armor to resemble Andromeda Initiative colours + AI logos.
Blue Scanner and Omnitool - Changes the scanner and omnitool colours from orange to blue to fit the game's asthetic.
Blue Tech Armor - Does the same thing with tech armor.
Vetra No Visor - Removes Vetra's weird visor thing.
N7 Logo Replaced with AI Logo - Retextures the N7 Armor seen on Alec Ryder and late-game unlocks with Andromeda Initivitve colours and logos.
fAngara Retex - Adds the same level of skin detail to female Angara as male Angara have.
Colorless Weapon Mods - Stops weapon mods from changing weapon colours for no reason.
Turian Makeover - Fixes a lot of the weird Turian face textures that BioWare's Z-Team thought were acceptable for some reason.
Initiative Colors for Initiative Members - Colour tweaks for Andromeda Initiative NPC outfits. Helps foster a sense of uniformity and professionalism badly needed among the Initiative.
Blue Tempest - Changes the Tempest exterior from red to blue, befitting the game's general style.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 4, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
More good news on the modding front:

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357142809980010497

The LE team is going to be co-ordinating with various modders to teach them how to port their existing mods into Legendary Edition. So that'll probably be stuff like ReCalibrated, Expanded Galaxy, Happy Ending Mod, Priority Earth Overhaul and Project Variety.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

they should make it so legion is the one that finds you like they planned. literally the best part of 2 and they stick him at the end of the game and then make him robot jesus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

they should make it so legion is the one that finds you like they planned. literally the best part of 2 and they stick him at the end of the game and then make him robot jesus.

Yeah, Leigon REALLY should have shown up on the Collector Ship instead of the Reaper corpse.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I believe that you could make a good Mass Effect game as a direct sequel to the original trilogy, but I don't believe that anyone working for EA would be able to.

They could also plausibly make games set before or during the events of the original trilogy, especially if they could deal with a smaller, more personal scale, but you still run into EA issues.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Honestly you could probably make a drat good game out of Garrus's Batman adventures on Omega.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

nine-gear crow posted:

More good news on the modding front:

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357142809980010497

The LE team is going to be co-ordinating with various modders to teach them how to port their existing mods into Legendary Edition. So that'll probably be stuff like ReCalibrated, Expanded Galaxy, Happy Ending Mod, Priority Earth Overhaul and Project Variety.

This is now the most exciting part of the LE. The mod scene for ME3 is just crazy good for a game with no official tools at all, I was very worried about losing that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The tease for the next game had Liara and a dead Reaper.

They really need to pick up after ME3 and use the destroy ending with Shepard alive.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Codependent Poster posted:

The tease for the next game had Liara and a dead Reaper.

They really need to pick up after ME3 and use the destroy ending with Shepard alive.

And retcon it so Destroy doesn't also take out the geth.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Star Child was very obviously lying about the Geth. Sorry that you got punk'd.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DourCricket posted:

This is now the most exciting part of the LE. The mod scene for ME3 is just crazy good for a game with no official tools at all, I was very worried about losing that.

I hope they walk their talk at least, because right now the person behind the most widely used mod manager and creator toolset in use by the modding community is straight up like "Um, nobody's talked to me about anything yet."

https://twitter.com/Mgamerz/status/1357152746739093505

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

That seems to be the most fan-accepted option. Destroy is canon, but the Star Child is full of poo poo so EDI, the geth, and Shepard survive, bite me, etc.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 4, 2021

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Nah, EDI definitely, absolutely, without-a-shadow-of-a-doubt perished. The Star Child was accurate on that one. But he was lying about the Geth.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Eh, it's fine, they can just reboot her.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

EDI survived but she's stuck in a geth body.

Joker adjusts.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Did someone make a mod to have SAM stfu every time the temp changes 5 degrees? That seems like a must-have.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Did someone make a mod to have SAM stfu every time the temp changes 5 degrees? That seems like a must-have.

They did indeed: Shut up SAM.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

"oh you want to choose the option that'll kill me? well it's, uh, it's bad"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Nobody is asking for Reapers but even bigger and badder. Andromeda failed because it was Mass Effect homeopathy, an extremely watered down fascimile that attempted to replicate the settings and characters of the original trilogy without earning any of it narratively.

it wasn't anywhere near as severe in terms of "oh god return to status quo now" but the last Star Wars film is a good example of what happens when you try to rush back to "the basics" in an attempt to appease a fanbase

not that ME3 was a masterpiece (though I like it more than most), but the idea that you can't do anything because the status quo of the universe is hosed up is ridiculous. the status quo being hosed up is compelling. make a new story based on that.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

nine-gear crow posted:

REQUIRED
Frosty Tool Suite - The program needed to load and deploy mods into Mass Effect: Andromeda (and any EA game that runs on the Frostbite Engine).

<modz>
So far so good, thanks. I installed most of these and I'm on the starting planet with no crashes or issues. Yay for playing a sub-par ME game to tide me over until May :3:

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Syrinxx posted:

So far so good, thanks. I installed most of these and I'm on the starting planet with no crashes or issues. Yay for playing a sub-par ME game to tide me over until May :3:

I think as long as you go in knowing it is pretty meh and don't pay too much for it I do think Andromeda is worth the time investment at least.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

I hope they walk their talk at least, because right now the person behind the most widely used mod manager and creator toolset in use by the modding community is straight up like "Um, nobody's talked to me about anything yet."

https://twitter.com/Mgamerz/status/1357152746739093505

That seems to be the most fan-accepted option. Destroy is canon, but the Star Child is full of poo poo so EDI, the geth, and Shepard survive, bite me, etc.

it's ea and :bioware: so no one should have real expectations here besides this being a huge and blatant cash grab.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
This would be a golden opportunity to retcon the terrible ending to ME3 but that actually takes man hours and money, so I guess we're stuck with Joker's living hat I guess!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Metro article posted:

It’s not just the technology that has aged in the original games though, as it’s hard to imagine the Asari, a species of all-female space Amazons, or EDI’s robot form being created in quite the same way for a new game today. They are popular characters though, despite accusations of them pandering to a male audience, so we were curious as to whether there was any thought to alter their portrayal in the remasters.

‘I do think a lot of things have evolved since [the original games] but I don’t know if I would say we were ultra-concerned about it or anything like that, but there were considerations’, admits Walters.

‘Kevin actually called out some camera cuts that were just… why was that focusing on Miranda’s butt? So in some cases we said, ‘Okay, we can make a change there’. But ultimately, to change an entire character model or something like that wasn’t really… it was a decision that was made as part of many creative decisions and just showing it at the best possible fidelity that we could going forward is really the choice for all of the art that we had.‘

https://metro.co.uk/2021/02/02/mass-effect-remaster-interview-changing-femshep-but-not-the-ending-14008330/

RIP booty shots :butt:

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

I understand why they didn’t go further (and I suspect a great deal of it is prob down to EA giving them very finite resources), but I am already disappointed by how conservative their approach appears to have been to this.

Like I said tho: I will still buy it, because I am a moron.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
If big changes like 'fixing' the ending were on the table I'd want them to just remake the whole drat trilogy really

I do want that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lightningproof posted:

I understand why they didn’t go further (and I suspect a great deal of it is prob down to EA giving them very finite resources), but I am already disappointed by how conservative their approach appears to have been to this.

What were you expecting/hoping for? They're doing more to ME1 than I thought they'd do, anyway.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What were you expecting/hoping for? They're doing more to ME1 than I thought they'd do, anyway.

Oh I wasn’t expecting it, but it would’ve been cool to have stuff like the maleShep/Kaidan romance restored in ME1, maybe some cutting room floor stuff put in, and stuff like was mentioned in the Metro article about making designs like EDI’s less ridiculous. Just (relatively) little stuff like that to make my 4000th playthrough feel a bit fresher.

Ofc it’s easier for a dickhead on a forum to dream up a wishlist than it is for devs to implement it though.

e: now that I think about it I realise that restoring the Kaidan romance in 1 would mean creating entirely new poo poo to account for it in 2 and 3. This is why I don’t make games.

Lightningproof fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 4, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

DourCricket posted:

If big changes like 'fixing' the ending were on the table I'd want them to just remake the whole drat trilogy really

I do want that.

I wish they had all the guns from ME3 available in ME2/1. The gun variety in that game ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think i own me1 any more, and my me3 is on origin. so, i'll probably buy this when it gets a decent sale.