Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wonder what would have happened if the original Ymir hadn’t gotten eaten. Would one daughter have gotten all her powers or would they have still been split three ways? Did they even need to eat her to get her powers? Based on how things work I don’t think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sjs00 posted:

I still don't fully understand 100%; and thats why SNK deserves anime of the decade imo
. For instance, why did Grishas people who were injected and then kicked off the wall by the Owl and Marleyans turn into titans momentarily, whereas the prisoners who were injected and then dropped only reacted to Zekes scream? And finally the men who drank the poison wine turned when Zeke screamed, and Historias father turned into that massive behemoth with no injection, and no scream.
So the process of transformation seems to rely on both the serum, the scream command, and apparently the serum is a recent method?
Its nitpicking but its because I enjoy the setting that much

With Zeke in particular, it seems that a low dilution of his spinal fluid "tags" the Eldians who consume it but won't actually trigger a transformation until he commands it.

Everyone else who gets transformed immediately does so by consuming (be it through ingestion or injection) a concentrated serum.

Ethiser posted:

I wonder what would have happened if the original Ymir hadn’t gotten eaten. Would one daughter have gotten all her powers or would they have still been split three ways? Did they even need to eat her to get her powers? Based on how things work I don’t think so.

It is entirely possible that the power is only transferred the way it does precisely because the first King Fritz thought it had to do with consuming the spines - which Ymir took as a command.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 4, 2021

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

My understanding is that Zekes spinal fluid specifically allows for the delayed transformation by screaming. The air drop, wine, and the Titans Zeke brought for the return to Shinganshina were presumably all given his spinal fluid.

It seems like otherwise they just transform immediately.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Sjs00 posted:

I still don't fully understand 100%; and thats why SNK deserves anime of the decade imo
. For instance, why did Grishas people who were injected and then kicked off the wall by the Owl and Marleyans turn into titans momentarily, whereas the prisoners who were injected and then dropped only reacted to Zekes scream? And finally the men who drank the poison wine turned when Zeke screamed, and Historias father turned into that massive behemoth with no injection, and no scream.
So the process of transformation seems to rely on both the serum, the scream command, and apparently the serum is a recent method?
Its nitpicking but its because I enjoy the setting that much

Apparently zekes spinal fluid works differently than the others. Also I don’t think we know for sure if it’s just pure spinal fluid or some compound, the way Yelena describes it makes me think it’s harder to make than just taking a sample from a shifter.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Thanks for clearing it up for me I blasted through the manga years ago now and its been a ride. My last questions would be where exactly does the concentrated fluid come from, and who's currently got that ability to produce the concentrated if not Zeke? It would be Historias child with Eren right?
And finally if Zeke could use that 'tagging' ability whats to have stopped any and all shifters from having done it? Such as Bert and Ernie and Annie etc. Such a good show would consume again.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

mightygerm posted:

Apparently zekes spinal fluid works differently than the others. Also I don’t think we know for sure if it’s just pure spinal fluid or some compound, the way Yelena describes it makes me think it’s harder to make than just taking a sample from a shifter.

Yeah, it probably requires more than simple extraction to properly stabilize it for more practical storage. What we do know is that it was a pre-Marleyan method, given Rod Reiss had vials of it from over a hundred years ago.

Sjs00 posted:

My last questions would be where exactly does the concentrated fluid come from, and who's currently got that ability to produce the concentrated if not Zeke? It would be Historias child with Eren right?
And finally if Zeke could use that 'tagging' ability whats to have stopped any and all shifters from having done it? Such as Bert and Ernie and Annie etc. Such a good show would consume again.

It comes from titans. Any of the Nine.

And Zeke alone can do it because he's of royal blood, which allows him to more fully utilize the power of the titans (conversely, Eren is not a royal and so wasn't really able to use the power of the Founding Titan until he and Zeke did the touchy thing).

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 4, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The forced injections only take effect when people are kicked off the walls. I would assume from that the pain of hitting the ground after being kicked off a 60 foot wall triggers the transformation. Much like how the shifters biting their hands triggers it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Guess spoilers are out and people are real mad on Twitter about them. So go look for them if you can’t wait a few more days

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZLXoNUb7sw

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

hatty posted:

Guess spoilers are out and people are real mad on Twitter about them. So go look for them if you can’t wait a few more days

Is there actually ever a day when people on twitter aren't incorrectly mad about something?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

hatty posted:

Mad about the content or mad about spoilers in general?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The content as far as I’m willing to look

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I took a peek as well and the spoilers are so vague that anyone getting mad over them is really stupid. The stuff leaked is actually almost incomprehensible gibberish

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
"wah wah wah not my power fantasy" is the gist I'm getting, but we'll see!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Armin finally has his big 5 page monologue about the merits of fascism and the dangers of cancel culture. The internet was right about aot all along.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If the "spoilers" arent accompanied by raw images of the chapter they should go straight into the trash IMO

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If the "spoilers" arent accompanied by raw images of the chapter they should go straight into the trash IMO

as long as they are ant-sized

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The 'spoilers' I've seen seem completely nonsensical.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Most of the people who are mad are pro-Yeagerists. The poo poo I saw mostly looks like what I expected to happen???
Honestly, I think I'm down for any ending that doesn't ruin Eren's character, regardless of whether he lives or dies, wins or loses.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I want my leaked pages tiny and so compressed that you only see what you want to see within, like a Rorschach blot

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
who the gently caress is still a yaegarist in tyool 2021

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Beefstew posted:

Honestly, I think I'm down for any ending that doesn't ruin Eren's character, regardless of whether he lives or dies, wins or loses.

Same, I don't care who wins or loses, I just want it to be believable. Unfortunately Isayama has built up the Founding Titan's power to near godlike levels, so if it gets axed this easily it will really fall flat. The Zeke thing is troubling since it kinda contradicts what happened in 122.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

This is beautiful. I thank you.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Phobophilia posted:

who the gently caress is still a yaegarist in tyool 2021

i hope eren wins

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'm for Eren winning because it's the more interesting and cathartic conclusion.

But echoing some earlier posts, what I care most for is having a believable ending that doesn't ruin Eren's character.

Also important, if Eren gets killed he doesn't get to live with the consequences of what he wrought.
VVVV

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 5, 2021

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I'm fine with anything that lets my boy Reiner suffer until a ripe old age.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The meltdowns have been producing some good content though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'm for Eren winning because it's the more interesting and cathartic conclusion.

But echoing some earlier posts, what I care most for is having a believable ending that doesn't ruin Eren's character.

I can't really imagine "Eren murders all his friends and the population of the world" as remotely cathartic TBH.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Eren already "won", whatever's happening now is something he's letting happen.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

I can't really imagine "Eren murders all his friends and the population of the world" as remotely cathartic TBH.

Ends the vicious cycle by wiping out the world's accursed history, and frees Historia and her child from being ritually cannibalized in order to keep control of the titan WMD switch.

Compare to an ending where the can is just kicked further down the road, with the future of Paradis imperiled by a vengeful world - that'd be an unfulfilling note to end things on.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

No Wave posted:

Eren already "won", whatever's happening now is something he's letting happen.

You're actually completely right, Eren has won, no matter what the ending is.

If the Alliance kills Eren now and achieves world peace or whatever (let's put aside for the moment most of the human race is dead). Eren has achieved the Code Geass ending - him becoming a devil was the catalyst to the world uniting.
If the Alliance kills Eren now and the remainder of the world still wishes to kill Eldians/Paradisians - Eren was right. The world's hatred was not going to stop until all of the people outside the island were dead. The alliance's victory is pyrrhic.
If Eren / Alliance / The World come to some talk no jutsu truce or something, then he was right again. The factions of the world could only be brought to the bargaining table because of a MAD-like scenario.
And if Eren kills them all he kind of just wins by default in some sort of AnR-like scenario.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I also want Ymir freed but that's entirely up to her.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Ends the vicious cycle by wiping out the world's accursed history, and frees Historia and her child from being ritually cannibalized in order to keep control of the titan WMD switch.

Compare to an ending where the can is just kicked further down the road, with the future of Paradis imperiled by a vengeful world - that'd be an unfulfilling note to end things on.

It's pretty gross how people keep using Historia and her child as justification for murdering countless mothers and children because I guess they're not named so it's A-OK? The choice isn't "Historia must be used as a WMD or everyone else in the world has to die", it's just the only solution that conveniently avoids having to deal with risk and consequences for actions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty gross how people keep using Historia and her child as justification for murdering countless mothers and children because I guess they're not named so it's A-OK?

Yes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's extremely loving creepy TBH, especially since the manga has gone out of its way to humanize the literal children Eren is murdering.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty gross how people keep using Historia and her child as justification for murdering countless mothers and children because I guess they're not named so it's A-OK? The choice isn't "Historia must be used as a WMD or everyone else in the world has to die", it's just the only solution that conveniently avoids having to deal with risk and consequences for actions.

It is just the trolly problem taken to the extreme. Given the choice, would you rather have to kill 5 of your loved ones, or 50 random people? At what ratio does it make it 'okay' to pick the former? Can you blame someone for prioritizing their friends or family over strangers?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mightygerm posted:

It is just the trolly problem taken to the extreme. Given the choice, would you rather have to kill 5 of your loved ones, or 50 random people? At what ratio does it make it 'okay' to pick the former? Can you blame someone for prioritizing their friends or family over strangers?

Yes? How is this even a question? It's generally considered pretty awful to decide to murder people in other countries because they might someday pose a risk to your country. A lot of people rightfully find the argument of "they're evil and bad and so we have to kill them all or they'll kill us" to be a disgusting and awful viewpoint to hold. Very few people are willing to accept atrocities committed against helpless people on the viewpoint of "but if I don't they might hurt my family."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

That's extremely loving creepy TBH, especially since the manga has gone out of its way to humanize the literal children Eren is murdering.

Yes, they're people too. They even have names. Killing them is an evil act.

But I will not condemn Eren for trying to save Historia. He's been sufficiently fleshed out to possess engaging and even sympathetic motivations for doing so, and so now that he's made his choice, I want to see it play out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
There were other plans that could maybe have saved her but killing every human on the planet was the only sure thing Eren could think of without talking to anyone else about it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 5, 2021