Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Outdoor Research is pretty popular now what with their 50% pro deal. Their entry level Gore-Tex shell has replaced the venerable stealth suit as the affordable rain-gear of choice, even.

Army of West IFF Policy: Dear god, at least ONE piece of CADPAT somewhere on you, please I beg of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

ham steak with mustard sauce

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

sweet thursday posted:

ham steak with mustard sauce

Unquestionably the best

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

When I was one of six students left in Borden over winter break a few years back, I asked if I could just get a box of rations since the chow hall was closed and their """solution""" was to """allow""" me to rent an apartment from RQSS where I would be on the hook for utilities, food, and still be paying full ration and my barracks slot.

I ate so much Pizza Pizza that winter. I think there's still a considerable amount of me made of chicken bites and jalapeño cheddar dip.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Hope everyone is doing alright. This is a super hosed up Christmas for everyone.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Everyone who has left the geographical area is set to work from home for X amount of days according to that COVID point prevalence calculator. Most people I've spoken to just cancelled their plans altogether.

Christmas: Not technically cancelled!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Everyone who has left the geographical area is set to work from home for X amount of days according to that COVID point prevalence calculator. Most people I've spoken to just cancelled their plans altogether.

Christmas: Not technically cancelled!

Does this count for people whos s/o left the area? Please say yes!!!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

You know technically it doesn't, but that person should be self-isolating based on local Provincial Health Orders either way (assuming non-DND). That's a great question. I'm surprised no one asked that.

If you have a good WFH setup, I'd imagine any supervisor would support that anyway. Hell, I'm just some loving civvie, and Telecom had no issue signing me out a laptop.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I only ask because you cant load planes from home, but you can smoke weed and llay video games

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

My Spirit Otter posted:

I only ask because you cant load planes from home, but you can smoke weed and llay video games

:hmmyes:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

My Spirit Otter posted:

I forget that there are people who do real work.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I forget that there are people who do real work.

don't get too ahead of yourself, here.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TheOnion has some love for CAF assault pioneers :v:
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1346939860377096193

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

gently caress, I'd have loved to have gone in for assault pioneer when I was in. If only for the beard, although I guess that's not so special these days.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'd have joined if the beard came issued. My facial hair game is weak even on block leave.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

i just wish beards had been allowed when i was in, i look like a 12 year old boy without facial hair.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008

Lassitude posted:

gently caress, I'd have loved to have gone in for assault pioneer when I was in. If only for the beard, although I guess that's not so special these days.

We just grow ridiculously long beards now, instead :shrug:

There was that one time though, in Gagetown, where the school made us all comply with BEARDFORGEN. Some very sad pioneers showing up at J7 the next day.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Well, we have a new CDS and I actually know the guy. He was my first XO and that ship was a loving blast. Very steeply downhill from there - false advertising considering the 15 or so intervening years. I talked to him last year at an event and he genuinely remembers me? I recall a good heart to heart with him in a packed bar in Prince Rupert, and I remember him pushing the CO in a shopping cart down the Canada Place jetty shortly before leave expiry in Vancouver. Probably as good as we're going to get.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

That's awesome.

I was surprised to learn that this is the first Naval CDS in 25 years (and even then, VAdm Murray was only A/CDS? Not sure of the story there).
Edit: Oh. Nevermind.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 15, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Hypothetical - if you're posted but can't find a place a live, what happens? I get you can take extra HHTs out of your personal envelope, but like...if there's no affordable rentals and you can't (or won't) go through all the closed-bid no-condition bullshit to buy some fuckpit for 10x your salary, what happens? Does someone have to decide if they keep you or not, and if so, how grievable would that be?

Not there yet, just asking questions :v:

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

So where in CFB Comox are you posted to? :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oh, the barracks're too good for you?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lol. Not moving this year but don't wanna set myself (and spouse and kids) up to be hosed.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

either comox or downsview

buy that nice teardown property for a cool million bucks at jane/finch!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Hypothetical - if you're posted but can't find a place a live, what happens? I get you can take extra HHTs out of your personal envelope, but like...if there's no affordable rentals and you can't (or won't) go through all the closed-bid no-condition bullshit to buy some fuckpit for 10x your salary, what happens? Does someone have to decide if they keep you or not, and if so, how grievable would that be?

Not there yet, just asking questions :v:

You get hosed. There was no base housing at all in trenton, and i couldnt find anything. I told them and told me to put my name on the waiting list.

Rentals and houses out here are ridiculous now. Going to have to be a pld area soon.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Regular reminder that Ottawa is not a PLD area because for some bonkers reason, member housing is pegged to the cost of housing in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

BUT YOU CAN LIVE IN QUEBno

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Regular reminder that Ottawa is not a PLD area because for some bonkers reason, member housing is pegged to the cost of housing in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Which MIGHT have made sense before there was a housing crisis and CFHA was allowed to charge rent similar to the local housing market.

Blows my mind that Trenton had no PMQ vacancy. I guess that might leave... Winnipeg? :barf:
Sorry Nick, as much time as I spent there, the coasts have spoiled the poo poo out of me; I'll never not be pining

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 2, 2021

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Trenton had little vacancy when I was there, and single guys were waved vaguely in the direction of the shacks. Yeah, just set up a young MP shiftworker in there, that'll be fine right?

I moved out to Frankford. Typical little Ontario village.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

flakeloaf posted:

Weird way to spell Orleans, but yeah.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh Orleans was great when we had a functioning transit system. Flash your ecopass on the express bus, sit down, brain off, doors open.

Now you stand in a monument to lovely piss stank until you get close enough to squash into a crowded train that breaks at Hurdman and strands you and 3000 other assholes in a building meant for 600 until you get bored, walk to trainyards and uber the rest of the way

Choo Choo Watson, you absolute person

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 2, 2022

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

flakeloaf posted:

Trenton had little vacancy when I was there, and single guys were waved vaguely in the direction of the shacks. Yeah, just set up a young MP shiftworker in there, that'll be fine right?

I moved out to Frankford. Typical little Ontario village.

Even the shacks had a waitlist. Rent and housing are so expensive that nobody is going on the economy and everyone tries to suckle off the teat of the military.

I just moved into the PMQs and was renting a smaller house. The misses and i are saving 400 a pay between the both of us.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

flakeloaf posted:

Oh Orleans was great when we had a functioning transit system. Flash your ecopass on the express bus, sit down, brain off, doors open.

Now you stand in a monument to lovely piss stank until you get close enough to squash into a crowded train that breaks at Hurdman and strands you and 3000 other assholes in a building meant for 600 until you get bored, walk to trainyards and uber the rest of the way

Choo Choo Watson, you dumb gently caress

Oh come on, the O-Train is running wonderfully now that nobody's riding it because of Covid

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Looks like we're heading towards "No no, we can't do anything to cool the housing market, or pop that bubble, even if we have homeless, fully employed soldiers/sailers/whatever the airforce has." A+ country we have here ffs.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Out of country or bust, then. Got it.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I found the one weird trick to affordable housing: never have a family.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

But how will I get that sweet, sweet FSP.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
(Old) CDS was asked about this (CAF supplied accommodations) at what was probably one of his last-town-halls-as-CDS. Roughly paraphrased, his reply was "It's definitely a problem and something we're looking at right now, I support all members of the military being able to buy a house and enter the middle class!"

Meanwhile, the CAF continues to divest itself of affordable housing assets for soldiers/sailors/air... people? and families.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
They're aviators now. Even if they don't fly.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I was a private when I got in, no matter how much they told me I was an aviator after a month :bahgawd:

Personally, I think they should have redone all RCAF ranks as birds. Chickadees, sparrows, vultures, no less dumb than seamen and petty officers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
AF ranks were originally derived from navy ones, so what is Aviator now was Leading Aircraftman, arguably much worse.

Flight Lieutenant, Wing Commander, Group Captain, Air Commodore, etc. The AF has no balls so will never return to a full suite of unique rank names, nor properly update the 1987-cut uniforms.