Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

sonic heroes had the best cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

isn't Heroes just the Adventure cast minus the actor for Tails because his voice had gotten too deep

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I remember Cream’s VA in Heroes being particularly hard on the ears.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

isn't Heroes just the Adventure cast minus the actor for Tails because his voice had gotten too deep

Yup, it also featured (in my opinion) possibly the worst actor Tails has ever had since the dub of the OVA.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

it had omega and the chaotix as well

yes charmy is probably the worst sonic voice acting has ever been but vector though...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

it had omega and the chaotix as well

yes charmy is probably the worst sonic voice acting has ever been but vector though...

Vector has never had a bad voice in my opinion (though the 4Kids actor leaves a bit to be desired), Espio’s stayed pretty consistent the whole way through as well.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The 4kids cast pretty clearly suffered from some all-time bad direction (as with everything 4kids got its tentacles into), there was some pretty noticeable improvement in Unleashed and Black Knight once they clearly weren't involved anymore.

Heroes was severely hit and miss - I really like all of Team Dark's performances, Vector was an absolute delight and it's a shame we only got one game of him, but then you have stuff like Tails and...ugh. Even Drummond, who was...mostly consistent in SA1 and SA2 kinda phoned it in for Heroes. But that's Heroes' atmosphere in general. That whole game just feels like a giant hangover. The feeling that they didn't have their own console anymore, the series might have just peaked with SA2 and they had no idea where to go with it from there absolutely permeates that game.

And, uh, every game that followed it for like four years.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ugh, they'll have gone and replaced Rouge as well, won't they? She did a good job in Forces.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's funny to me how the "mystery client" in Heroes so obviously sounds like Deem Bristow pitch-shifted up but Team Chaotix are dumbasses so they never notice it.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Ugh, they'll have gone and replaced Rouge as well, won't they? She did a good job in Forces.

probably no more Travis Willingham as Knuckles either :(

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

it's funny to me how the "mystery client" in Heroes so obviously sounds like Deem Bristow pitch-shifted up but Team Chaotix are dumbasses so they never notice it.

Travis already got replaced by a guy named Dave Mitchell in Team Sonic Racing (he’s....not as good).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Augus posted:

Vector figured it out!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Am I the only one who’s kinda sad that Yuji Naka seems to have completely hosed up with Balan? like why does he do this to himself? He had something with potential why can’t he not make a poo poo game :smith:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

Am I the only one who’s kinda sad that Yuji Naka seems to have completely hosed up with Balan? like why does he do this to himself? He had something with potential why can’t he not make a poo poo game :smith:

I feel like having Naka actually direct it was probably the issue, given that his only prior game design/direction credits were Girl's Garden in 1984 and then Chu Chu Rocket. He was always a programmer, and then producer, so if he'd had a producer role on Balan and let someone else direct we might have gotten something decent and novel like the Wii version of Rodea.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

MJeff posted:

Vector was an absolute delight

who's this broad

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
balan feels clumsy and unfinished but i don't think I'd call it outright bad. the demo definitely doesn't start with a good impression though, going from the flashy intro to a corn farm is silly and the balan segments are pointless

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They should've at least made the costume switching faster if they're gonna tie your ability to jump to wearing certain costumes.
Also the fact that you can swap costumes at checkpoints was not signposted well at all, I though they expected me to just run back and forth between levels to transport costumes

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A Sonic Mania inspired lego set is in the works

They've occasionally changed fan submissions significantly in the final product, but I assume the spirit/basics will be the same.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I feel like having Naka actually direct it was probably the issue, given that his only prior game design/direction credits were Girl's Garden in 1984 and then Chu Chu Rocket. He was always a programmer, and then producer, so if he'd had a producer role on Balan and let someone else direct we might have gotten something decent and novel like the Wii version of Rodea.

The bigger problem is it's Naoto Oshima's studio making the game and almost everything they've made over the past twenty years has sucked.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The bigger problem is it's Naoto Oshima's studio making the game and almost everything they've made over the past twenty years has sucked.

I really liked Terra Battle, the mobile game where you had to slide your units around like a puzzle

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Skeletome posted:

I really liked Terra Battle, the mobile game where you had to slide your units around like a puzzle

The games they made for/with Hironobu Sakaguchi are the good ones- Blue Dragon, The Last Story, Terra Battle, etc - and people will probably fight you on Blue Dragon.

Their platformer/action games peaked with Blinx the Time Sweeper, and that's not the game you want to peak with.

EDIT: now that I'm looking it up, their last big 3D action game, and last game not slumming it on Wii/3DS, was Vampire Rain way back in 2007.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/inkuusan/status/1357275778602442752

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

They've occasionally changed fan submissions significantly in the final product, but I assume the spirit/basics will be the same.

Oh hell yes. I saw this going around a while ago when it first got submitted and I thought it has a pretty good chance of getting through.

Haven't brought any lego in a while but I might pick this up.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Oxyclean posted:

I think it's already gone through a bunch of revisions, pretty sure the first version was like 5 years ago, before Mania was announced, and it's been adjusted to tie more into that.

Id be interested to see the full story, since possibly making it a Mania toe-in may have come from Sega. Given there was a dimensions set I had assumed that the licencing would be easy, so no idea why it took so long.

Side note, the Van Gogh one they also announced looks great too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a fan submission, the Mania tie-in came from the fan who submitted it. Sega wouldn't have had any input yet as the kit wasn't approved until now, any changes Sega wants won't be apparent until the final kit is shown off. It might not have any Mania stuff when the final set comes out, Ideas sets can change quite a bit from the initial fan submission to the official release after a Lego designer has re-worked it.

Ship in a bottle fan submission
Ship in a bottle final release

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

EDIT: now that I'm looking it up, their last big 3D action game, and last game not slumming it on Wii/3DS, was Vampire Rain way back in 2007.

lol oof

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Veotax posted:

I dunno, but honestly I think the current/outgoing cast is the first time Sonic actually had a good cast. The Adventure era cast was pretty bad for the most part IMO and I never liked the 4Kids cast.

The Adventure-era Robotnik was top tier, imo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Yosh.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's never been a bad Robotnik

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

There's never been a bad Robotnik

Sonic Underground Robotnik wasn’t great in my opinion (then again, there were a lot of things wrong with that series) but otherwise agreed

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Prrrromotion!? What for!?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqUEjGYD3DU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Larryb posted:

Sonic Underground Robotnik wasn’t great in my opinion (then again, there were a lot of things wrong with that series) but otherwise agreed

Ah, true, he's a bit generic cartoon villain. But I wouldn't call him a particularly bad take. My bar for that was set by Jared Leto as the Joker.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I mean I'm willing to just post Boom Eggman if you all are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4wZa6zoo18

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dabir posted:

Ah, true, he's a bit generic cartoon villain. But I wouldn't call him a particularly bad take. My bar for that was set by Jared Leto as the Joker.

Fair, he wasn’t terrible mind you but it’s just that Chalk’s performance always seemed somewhat lackluster to me compared to most of the other Robotniks (but that’s probably more the fault of the writers and directors if anything).

Baldry, Pollock, Bristow, and Ohtsuka will always be the best ones in my opinion though (though Cummings and whoever the guy that played him in the dub of the OVA was were decent as well).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 5, 2021

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Larryb posted:

Yup, it also featured (in my opinion) possibly the worst actor Tails has ever had since the dub of the OVA.

Hush, you. Every voice in the OVA was just perfect.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm playing through Forces again since last week and I'm through the story and just doing all the unlock clothes thing because dress up is best in life and while I am aware this is a Sonic game I kinda resent that Classic Sonic is just there, not being fun and not even having spectacle to make up for it. Like I appreciate to a point that he's probably the cheapest one to make levels for but gently caress if I could cut his whole weird existence out of the game for just one more avatar stages I'd do it in heartbeat.

Also I resent that the SOS stuff for the Sonics want me to double back and explore the whole stage looking for the critter capsules or fail the mission and not even get medal xp at the end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Caidin posted:

I'm playing through Forces again since last week and I'm through the story and just doing all the unlock clothes thing because dress up is best in life and while I am aware this is a Sonic game I kinda resent that Classic Sonic is just there, not being fun and not even having spectacle to make up for it. Like I appreciate to a point that he's probably the cheapest one to make levels for but gently caress if I could cut his whole weird existence out of the game for just one more avatar stages I'd do it in heartbeat.

Also I resent that the SOS stuff for the Sonics want me to double back and explore the whole stage looking for the critter capsules or fail the mission and not even get medal xp at the end.

It's very obvious Classic Sonic's presence in the game is a leftover from when it was initially conceived as a completely different kind of game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, of course. Bristow was amazing.
Everyone else was either eh or bad. Dunno how much of that came down to bad direction though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Katsuma posted:

Hush, you. Every voice in the OVA was just perfect.

straaaaaaaange isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
ova dub sonic and john mulaney are the same