Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wait til you find out how many of these guys are like, 2nd generation Hispanic immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

What a disgusting, rehearsed, non-statement.

"I am sorry that this person misinterpreted things, like me beating and choking and electrocuting her and threatening her and her family's lives. While I did do all those things, I am sorry that my actions were misunderstood."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Skwirl posted:

DC Sniper?

Not school shooters

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Samovar posted:

Not school shooters

They also said spree shooter, though I guess I'm not sure if they qualify as that either.

In terms of spree shooters there's also Chris Dorner.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dorner is also not a spree shooter. Closest you get to this without the typical Nazi politics is a Micah Xavier Johnson - you can tell because his target was cops, and not girls who snubbed him for dates.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait til you find out how many of these guys are like, 2nd generation Hispanic immigrants.

Plenty of Hispanics are 100% European, the descendants of conquistadors and caudillos. They're also insanely racist, as proof see every South American country. And hell, it's not like fascist dictatorships are alien to Hispanic countries, they had Franco, Salazar, Pinochet, and more.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

thekeeshman posted:

Plenty of Hispanics are 100% European, the descendants of conquistadors and caudillos. They're also insanely racist, as proof see every South American country. And hell, it's not like fascist dictatorships are alien to Hispanic countries, they had Franco, Salazar, Pinochet, and more.

They'd sure like to think so but conquistadors, the original sexpats, weren't really keen on bringing their wives along.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Dorner is also not a spree shooter. Closest you get to this without the typical Nazi politics is a Micah Xavier Johnson - you can tell because his target was cops, and not girls who snubbed him for dates.

Omar Mateen and Nidal Hassan were both definitely spree shooters. And I agree that there's similarities behind that sort of Islamist revanchism and facism, but I think describing them as Nazis is missing something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Mateen was the State Dept. equivalent of an Army brat so who even knows what was going on there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The reason white supremacy is so often mixed up in these situations is because as a movement they've always targeted angry young men and appealed to them by giving them a target for their anger. And often that's all that these guys are looking for, they're angry for vague reasons that are hard to express and it feels good to be able to put a label on it, to be able to say I'm angry because of X.

The waters get muddied really easily because you throw in some emerging mental illness and maybe a social media addiction and it's easy to end up with a mass shooting where the shooter can't even really explain why they think they're doing it and who they're targeting.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

thekeeshman posted:

Plenty of Hispanics are 100% European, the descendants of conquistadors and caudillos.

No we aren't my guy. I'm south american and my skin is white as chalk, but there is absolutely no way I'm 100% european. Most of the native sides of families were either hidden away or "bleached out".

And this is besides the point, fascism and white supremacy here in south america are more about being "more white/rich/upperclass than" than not having native or mixed ancestry (as much as they pretend otherwise).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vincent posted:

No we aren't my guy. I'm south american and my skin is white as chalk, but there is absolutely no way I'm 100% european. Most of the native sides of families were either hidden away or "bleached out".

And this is besides the point, fascism and white supremacy here in south america are more about being "more white/rich/upperclass than" than not having native or mixed ancestry (as much as they pretend otherwise).

Even the literal Nazi emigres aren't "pure" anything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What about rear end in a top hat? They seem like pure assholes to me.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

That's true.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was reading this article and reminded how the Columbine school shooters were actually trying to outdo the Oklahoma City bombing from a few years earlier. But they didn't know how to make the bombs properly:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2004/04/at-last-we-know-why-the-columbine-killers-did-it.html

"The killers, in fact, laughed at petty school shooters. They bragged about dwarfing the carnage of the Oklahoma City bombing and originally scheduled their bloody performance for its anniversary. Klebold boasted on video about inflicting “the most deaths in U.S. history.” Columbine was intended not primarily as a shooting at all, but as a bombing on a massive scale. If they hadn’t been so bad at wiring the timers, the propane bombs they set in the cafeteria would have wiped out 600 people."

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vegetable posted:

They were anything but consistent with their beliefs. Racist ramblings in their journals co-existed with their blog posts about hating racism. There's no evidence to suggest they were Nazis -- the shooting was originally supposed to coincide with the Oklahoma bombings, and one of them wore a USSR pin on the day of massacre. Also, all but one of the victims were white. They were inspired and angered by a lot of things; it's not really clear at all that race was a particularly motivating factor.

Yeah this is closer to it. They had no particular ethos and it seemed at times like they were trying different ones out to see how they fit. The only consistency is their hate for other people, where they shared disdain for just about everyone.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I've seen quite a few things that talk about school shooters as more of a social awareness phenomena. It's seen as the most publicly known method for these kids to lash out at soft targets that may or may not be the perpetrators of mistreatment.

It's not the same as going to a mall or concert for firing into a crowd, those are almost always trying to cause mass death or specifically targeting something like a race or ethnic group. The mystique of being a "school shooter" seems part of the main reason to do it for the ones that do commit the crime.

I don't think you can point to any racial or political motivations for Sandy Hook or Parkland. The obvious stuff like Pulse nightclub, Charleston, San Bernedino they left behind either manifestos or prolific social media profiles that offer clues to their motivations.

Claiming all school shooters are just white supremacists is as useless as always assuming all shooters are mentally ill.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The school shooters aren't the victims, they're the bullies. A lot of cases have them as being well known edgelords and psychopaths long before they started murdering people.

School systems are pretty much somewhere between Lord of the Flies and prison systems for the most dysfunctional social dynamics on the planet that go completely without comment, and it's probably not a coincidence that the rate of school shootings skyrocketed with online neo-nazi recruitment and radicalisation, complete with shooters leaving manifestoes designed to get media attention and incite moral panics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, there's no evidence cops in schools prevent school shootings and the courts have generally said cops in schools have no duty to protect the kids in the school.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1357140441817370626?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

They paid 9 million dollars to Eliza Dushku and didn't fire the guy that forced them to pay 9 million dollars, they gave him another 5 seasons.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the stunt guy? I thought he was blackballed after the stuff came out if only to close that stable door

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Alan Smithee posted:

the stunt guy? I thought he was blackballed after the stuff came out if only to close that stable door

They're talking about Michael Weatherly, who was harassing Dusku on the set of his TV show, after they brought her on. They ended up getting rid of Dusku, and keeping him on.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

It really doesn't help that between Bull and NCIS, Michael Weatherly is one of the few people holding all of CBS afloat. If he goes, kiss half your geriatric audience goodbye.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The real star of NCIS that boomers tuned in for was Pauley Perette as the Gen X goth/alternative hacker. She ended up leaving the show due to multiple physical assaults, on set negligence getting her bitten by a dog, and being terrified (that's an exact quote) of Mark Harmon. The year she left she had the highest Q rating of any television actress and the studio didn't protect her at all.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Davros1 posted:

They're talking about Michael Weatherly, who was harassing Dusku on the set of his TV show, after they brought her on. They ended up getting rid of Dusku, and keeping him on.

Yeah Dushku has dealt with this multiple times in her career. Isn't that neat?

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 4, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Also, there's no evidence cops in schools prevent school shootings and the courts have generally said cops in schools have no duty to protect the kids in the school.

A school cop heard gunfire and his immediate reaction was to run the hell away as far as he could, and he received absolutely no consequence for this.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

They paid 9 million dollars to Eliza Dushku and didn't fire the guy that forced them to pay 9 million dollars, they gave him another 5 seasons.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The real star of NCIS that boomers tuned in for was Pauley Perette as the Gen X goth/alternative hacker. She ended up leaving the show due to multiple physical assaults, on set negligence getting her bitten by a dog, and being terrified (that's an exact quote) of Mark Harmon. The year she left she had the highest Q rating of any television actress and the studio didn't protect her at all.

Somehow it's more depressing to know that even losing money is less important than maintaining the boys club

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

davidspackage posted:

Somehow it's more depressing to know that even losing money is less important than maintaining the boys club

Always has been.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

davidspackage posted:

They know they will make infinity money on the back end with re-run sales.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A school cop heard gunfire and his immediate reaction was to run the hell away as far as he could, and he received absolutely no consequence for this.

I know everyone in the world hates this guy, and he does suck, but I like him, very relatable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

porfiria posted:

I know everyone in the world hates this guy, and he does suck, but I like him, very relatable.

Counter argument, he still became a cop. And school cops just bust kids for drugs charges. They suck.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Counter argument, he still became a cop. And school cops just bust kids for drugs charges. They suck.

They also lie to your face to try and force you to admit to graphitti, in my experience.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In a first world country the police shouldn't have to run into the fire of someone armed with a semi-automatic assault rifle at a school. ACAB and all but the problem exists outside of him.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

davidspackage posted:

The problem is that even with the $9M payout Weatherly is still profitable for the network. Once he becomes a financial liability he'll be hung out to dry, but before then, yeah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

In a first world country the police shouldn't have to run into the fire of someone armed with a semi-automatic assault rifle at a school. ACAB and all but the problem exists outside of him.

The point isn't that cops should run into a hail of bullets meant for school children, the point is the cop shouldn't be in the school at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is getting far outside the scope of the thread but

1) As a response to the large number of school shootings, schools started having cops in the school.

2) Cops in schools have committed violent assaults against small children in response to normal school misbehavior that, since the invention of schools, had generally been resolved without body slamming a 9 year old into a desk

3) The one time a cop being present during a school shooting might have made a difference and maybe saved a couple kids or a teacher, the cop fled.

4) Get cops out of schools.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Skwirl posted:

This is getting far outside the scope of the thread but

1) As a response to the large number of school shootings, schools started having cops in the school.

2) Cops in schools have committed violent assaults against small children in response to normal school misbehavior that, since the invention of schools, had generally been resolved without body slamming a 9 year old into a desk

3) The one time a cop being present during a school shooting might have made a difference and maybe saved a couple kids or a teacher, the cop fled.

4) Get cops out of schools.

Exactly this.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I didn't want to keep feeding the derail, but if you want to be mad about the school resource officer push, there was a resource officer at Columbine and it didn't really help since shockingly most school shootings don't start with the officer in a tactical position with his gun draw behind the shooter. Also unless the school's in the middle of nowhere it doesn't take too long to roll cop cars there, usually it'd be just as fast as the cop inside physically getting where he needs to be.

quote:

At 11:22 a.m., a custodian called Deputy Neil Gardner, the assigned resource officer to Columbine, on the school radio, requesting assistance in the senior parking lot. The only paved route took him around the school to the east and south on Pierce Street, where at 11:23 a.m., he heard on his police radio that a female was down, and assumed she had been struck by a car. While exiting his patrol car in the senior lot at 11:24, he heard another call on the school radio, "Neil, there's a shooter in the school."[90]

Harris, at the west entrance, immediately turned and fired ten shots from his carbine at Gardner, who was 60 yards (55 m) away.[90] As Harris reloaded his carbine, Gardner leaned over the top of his car and fired four rounds at Harris from his service pistol.[96][106] Harris ducked back behind the building, and Gardner momentarily believed that he had hit him. Harris then reemerged and fired at least four more rounds at Gardner (which missed and struck two parked cars), before retreating into the building. No one was hit during the exchange of gunfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's always shady when an abuser is instantly thrown to the wolves... almost like everyone knew already and are now distancing themselves.

When it comes to celebrity types it's almost always an "open secret" that everyone chooses to look the other way on until it's impossible to do so.