Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Senor Tron posted:

Good luck getting fiber laid to aircraft and ships.

Good luck getting fiber laid to apartment buildings when the local telecoms are fat and happy with monopoly pricing already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

Fibre internet with local wifi, or 4G / 5G, is the correct option for the overwhelming majority of internet users, who spend the overwhelming majority of their time either in houses or buildings, or within range of a tower. Folks on ships or aircraft are there temporarily.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Senor Tron posted:

This is the same problem as electric car range, and has the same solution: really, really long extension cords.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

I mean if the Starlink laser link between satellites doesn't work it's going to be anywhere from bad to useless far from the coast with no ground stations in range.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Really? Last I heard when they put a Starlink satellite on course to (potentially) collide with an ESA satellite, they were basically "no gently caress you, you move out the way".

They are actually trying to make their satellites darker and seem to have competent engineers that aren't constantly being interfered with by the musk. I heard about the possible collision thing and am not sure what to make of it.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 5, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

adoration for none posted:

This was SpaceX's statement in response in the article:

Which is like ok, so you're saying that a single stupid bug in your system could have screwed humanity out of spaceflight for a century?

We're probably screwed in regards to this.

Move fast. Break things.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is the idea that if we just all use cell phone 5g that that will take capitalism or evil companies out of the internet?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Senor Tron posted:

They'll get parallel frequency hopping and they'll like it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is the idea that if we just all use cell phone 5g that that will take capitalism or evil companies out of the internet?

Um,

no

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Which is like ok, so you're saying that a single stupid bug in your system could have screwed humanity out of spaceflight for a century?

I've got bad news for you regarding the general reliability and redundancy of things propping up human civilisation

they're mostly flimsy rear end poo poo or decades past their sell by date being maintained by the last neckbeard who remembers what the 1960s COBOL codebase actually does

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

This was SpaceX's statement in response in the article:

No, this is actually code for "he/she didn't read their emails." So someone not opening their Outlook could have screwed humanity out of spaceflight for a century.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
One satellite collision doesn't result in Kessler effect and mass orbital destruction, nor does Kessler effect create an impassable barrier in space. There have been actual satellite collisions and even weapons tests in space.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The biggest opportunity with satellite internet is offering global web access in countries where that access is highly restricted or difficult.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Well, that and really rural areas. It's difficult economically serve out fiber or whatever when people are really spread out.

I seem to recall Norway having some program where for rural homes they'd give you basic equipment and you could just dig out the trench or whatever yourself, that might be a reasonable compromise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OctaMurk posted:

One satellite collision doesn't result in Kessler effect and mass orbital destruction

It’s a bit easier to do when there are forty thousand satellites up there and they’re made by the guy whose machines keep falling apart both on the ground and in the air.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OctaMurk posted:

One satellite collision doesn't result in Kessler effect and mass orbital destruction, nor does Kessler effect create an impassable barrier in space. There have been actual satellite collisions and even weapons tests in space.

People/sci-fi really have ramped up the kessler effect into something it never was.

Like the idea was that particular orbits could have too much stuff so that a collision would create debris that would create more debris. In like a statistical way.

That got turned into some sort of really weird, "all orbits instantaneously close and are impassable across all space" that isn't really based on anything except looking cool in a movie and the weird casual sci-fi idea that space is about as large as a small football field.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
https://apnews.com/article/legislature-legislation-local-governments-nevada-economy-2fa79128a7bf41073c1e9102e8a0e5f0 hahahahahahahahahahahaha

quote:

Planned legislation to establish new business areas in Nevada would allow technology companies to effectively form separate local governments.

Not entirely tech nightmare but you know know the tesla factory will set this up if it comes to pass

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Not entirely tech nightmare but you know know the tesla factory will set this up if it comes to pass

quote:

Sisolak pitched the concept in his State of the State address delivered Jan. 19. The plan would bring in new businesses at the forefront of “groundbreaking technologies” without the use of tax abatements or other publicly funded incentive packages that previously helped Nevada attract companies like Tesla Inc.

Sisolak named Blockchains, LLC as a company that had committed to developing a “smart city” in an area east of Reno after the legislation has passed.

The draft proposal said the traditional local government model is “inadequate alone” to provide the resources to make Nevada a leader in attracting and retaining businesses and fostering economic development in emerging technologies and industries.

The Governor’s Office of Economic Development would oversee applications for the zones, which would be limited to companies working in specific business areas including blockchain, autonomous technology, the Internet of Things, robotics, artificial intelligence, wireless, biometrics and renewable resource technology.

Zone requirements would include applicants owning at least 78 square miles (202 square kilometers) of undeveloped, uninhabited land within a single county but separate from any city, town or tax increment area. Companies would have at least $250 million and plans to invest an additional $1 billion in their zones over 10 years.

An AI-blockchain-IoT-biometrics company town springing up in the desert east of Reno is basically the entire bingo card of tech nightmares.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/5/22268239/dril-video-game-copgame-patreon

quote:

Dril, esteemed shitposter and published author, is developing “the next great Gaming Classic”: a 2D action-adventure called copgame about the “quest of a silent protagonist who stumbles upon the gift of immortality in a dangerous future where Top Influencers and corrupt hollywood guys maintain a cruel grip on society.” He posted the news today on Twitter, along with a link to his Patreon for funding.

Although “the corona virus pandemic has hosed us all,” he writes, being stuck inside without a job gave him the opportunity to work on his game. “The gameplay places a strong emphasis on employing satisfying, responsive aerobatics to traverse a dozen or so worlds and find a poo poo load of treasures and secrets,” he writes.

Dril expects to finish the game sometime before the mid-2020s. On Patreon, there are two funding goals currently listed. For $5K, he will make the game “good.” For $10K, he will make the game “very good.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrp3a8D64Q

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
That looks really good for a single dev team. So in terms of the plot, will it be like an inverse Braid where the twist is that you're the good guy?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

https://apnews.com/article/legislature-legislation-local-governments-nevada-economy-2fa79128a7bf41073c1e9102e8a0e5f0 hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Shadowrun was just supposed to be a tabletop RPG, not a blueprint for the future.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Special Economic/Free Trade/Enterprise Zones exist already. I'm American and have been past one anytime I went out the back of my grandpa's old active living community. I assume this is a case of tech reinventing the wheel but making it square.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Feb 6, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People/sci-fi really have ramped up the kessler effect into something it never was.

Like the idea was that particular orbits could have too much stuff so that a collision would create debris that would create more debris. In like a statistical way.

That got turned into some sort of really weird, "all orbits instantaneously close and are impassable across all space" that isn't really based on anything except looking cool in a movie and the weird casual sci-fi idea that space is about as large as a small football field.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Big Hubris posted:

Special Economic/Free Trade/Enterprise Zones exist already. I'm American and have been past one anytime I went out the back of my grandpa's old active living community. I assume this is a case of tech reinventing the wheel but making it square.
I thought special economic zones usually just had laxer rules/lower taxes, not letting companies literally form their own governments.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I am actually embarrassed to report that I didn't google other articles and thought that one was bullshit. I uh, still had some level of credulity and assumed that corrupt politicians wouldn't automate themselves out of work.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Galaxy brain option is to launch some industrial space labs and use them to make ZBLAN. :science:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

I hope to one day be described as an "esteemed shitposter" though I know the reality is that I just make lovely posts.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Tesla Skips 401k Match Third Straight Year

Sometimes you have to make hard business decisions, like paying your employees vs buying a bunch of cryptocurrency for no reason.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jose Valasquez posted:

Tesla Skips 401k Match Third Straight Year

Sometimes you have to make hard business decisions, like paying your employees vs buying a bunch of cryptocurrency for no reason.

Tesla is basically a shitpost in company form.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Google and Facebook aren't just the core of the adtech Panaopticon, Google is also a classic monopoly.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1358907018975838208

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I'm not sure that breaking apart the concept of advertising into multiple components really qualifies as "all sides of the market". A widget-maker isn't a monopoly just because they make all the parts of the widget. I would expect that the report itself doesn't have nearly as hot a take.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 10, 2021

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
No company ever 401k-matched its way to the highest market cap.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Even most lovely companies have at least some 401k match, that's loving hilarious

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Gazpacho posted:

No company ever 401k-matched its way to the highest market cap.

Enron took a good shot at it.

Offering their 401k match in company stock rather than cash (and generally privileging company stock in the retirement plan) helped juice the price per share. It worked great, until the company collapsed and took the employees' retirement funds with it.

Now those spoilsports at the IRS say "it's illegal to do that."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Remember that Florida water treatment plant that was hacked and someone tried to add lye to the drinking water?

Turns out they were running Windows 7 (lol), no firewall (lol), and all of the employees were sharing one Teamviewer password for remote access to the SCADA system (lol).

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2021/02/breached-water-plant-employees-used-the-same-teamviewer-password-and-no-firewall/

I can't remember if this story was originally posted in the cyberpunk dystopia thread or this one, but it probably doesn't matter.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
That can't be part of a cyberpunk dystopia, cyberpunk assumed we'd have firewalls that would melt your brain and elite armies of corporate and government hackers actively tracking us every second of the day

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Don Gato posted:

That can't be part of a cyberpunk dystopia, cyberpunk assumed we'd have firewalls that would melt your brain and elite armies of corporate and government hackers actively tracking us every second of the day

Well, we got the last part.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/danieldrucker/status/1359594604618604544

The future is stupid. And that seems pretty wasteful. But mostly stupid.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010
feeling a little crazy - was there a video that was very close-up of Elizabeth Holmes where she is creepily talking right into camera? google is failing me, or maybe i'm thinking of another tech person making a similar video?

edit: nvm found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqJNcQOBm0

PopZeus fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 19, 2021

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PopZeus posted:

feeling a little crazy - was there a video that was very close-up of Elizabeth Holmes where she is creepily talking right into camera? google is failing me, or maybe i'm thinking of another tech person making a similar video?

Gah! It's like she's staring through time and space at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PopZeus posted:

She was so specifically crazy that a ton of older white men fell over themselves trying to stuff money into her company and sued each other for jumping the line to stuff money into her company.

Like it all seems so insanely obvious now, but for a solid few years she was spoken of like the next Thomas Edison/Steve Jobs despite anyone with a basic understand of blood testing and biology able to point out their claims were physically impossible.