Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Pain, Excruciating, unimaginable pain. The kind of pain that comes from biting on a fork hard, and pulling it through your teeth. The kind of pain from getting something horrific and acidic in your eye. The unmistakable snap of bones breaking. The kind of pain that only exists deep, deep, inside. Pain like pieces of your body slowly tearing and oozing out like some macabre tube of honey.

That’s what you’re feeling right now, that’s what you’ve been feeling for the last 5 minutes. You want to scream, but you can’t. You want to see who around you is doing this, BUT YOU CAN’T. This horrific existence is all you have ever known. <I want the pain to stop.> You think, but it doesn’t. Not for another impossibly long, excruciating time. Finally, there is some release, something deep down inside that is let go. You float aimlessly, you know what gravity is, but it seems to have no effect on you. You try to see if you’re ambulatory, but knowing would require seeing, or sensing in some way. Then something appears in your mind's eye.

“And for your third wish?” The creature asks.

<I don’t understand, I hadn’t made any wishes…>

“Ah but you have. Your second wish was granted, you asked to go back, back before you had made the first wish. I was delighted to accommodate.”

<I want this to stop.>

The creature cackled, a low hearty thing, like thick bones crashing against a large drum.

“Funny,” The creature said laughing, “That was your first wish…” The creature bent down low, and you feel the rotting flesh and tendrils drape over your… Form? Body? You feel it, and it lightly pecks you on the top of what you assumed was a head, you have but a moment to wonder if that was a good idea, before your senses were assaulted.

BRIGHT

SO BRIGHT

SO UNBELIEVABLY PAINFULLY BRIGHT.

Sunburn on your eyes. Like fire to your cornea.

<Stop, Stop, I want to go back to before this, I want this to stop.> You cry out, but there is no answer. You feel yourself contort and writhe, and you… Hear? You think that’s the word, you Hear muffled voices, like they were through something thick, or very far away

“It’s showing a reaction like last time.” One voice said, this person was pink, Terrifying, and intense.

“Alright, get ready to void the tube if it doesn’t cope.” They were Red, Meaty, and Rich

“We only can culture so many of these in a day, maybe we shou-” They were Green, liquid, and scared

“I said to prepare to void the tube, Private.” A feeling, Red loves doing that. Languishes the word, the way it tastes on their tongue. The way it makes others feel.

<Void the tube? Well that doesn’t sound so bad…> You think as, eventually the pain subsided after a few more moments. Now that you can see around you you take the room in. You only have a few moments to calm yourself before everything because crisp and sharp. You are in a tube, floating. There are many Cables on you, that lead to Electronic Systems.

There were People they had a Form with 2 legs, 2 arms, and a head. They had personalities that seemed to dictate their Status.
Your tube was over a grate, at the bottom of the grate you see a great big puddle that looks exactly like you. Chunky, meaty, slimy. You try to stifle a screech in terror, and also understand that you are afraid. It takes another few moments to rationalize it. That’s when you realize that whatever you are now, might stop, and that it stopping forever may be worse than your existence right now.

You must make a plan.

A.) Go into the grate, see what you can find in the meat pit of you.
B.) Try to squeeze into the tiniest bits of the electrical cords, though you have no idea if you will fit.
C.) Simply wait, until another opening provides itself to you. Try to wave

Votes are pick via a dice roll, if you do Fan Art or Discuss your options, each additional post will be also count for a vote picking roll.

GM Fiat: once in a while I will choose a write in option because I cherish it, be it smart, funny, or just the most creative, these will be marked as GM Fiat. If there is more than one I will roll between them.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We are being observed. The forms, they made us this way. They made us hurt. If we try to stop the hurt, they will make us hurt more.

C.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

D, try to rip yourself apart. End this suffering.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
B - an exit, any exit, get the gently caress out

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

KittyEmpress posted:

Agreed divide and suicide to end the pain

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A. meat pit meat pit meat pit

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
C do the wave :can:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

C Being not sounds bad. Appease our captors until we can alter their personalities to adore us or modify their status to stopped.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Slaan posted:

If life is pain, not life is not pain? Seems legit.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
D Reshape ourselves anew.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LLSix posted:

C Being not sounds bad. Appease our captors until we can alter their personalities to adore us or modify their status to stopped.

I really like this one.

Plan LLSix

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Your other senses are slowly kicking on, like an old car with a bad alternator. You stop to muse what exactly a “car” and an “alternator” are as you realize you can taste the fluid around you. <Perfluorocarbon, disgusting.> You have no limbs besides the 4 tiny probes beneath you, and while the light seems to blind you, you’re not sure where exactly your eyes would be. You take a few deep breaths, and try to get acclimated to your surroundings.

“Stress levels decreasing,” Red said, “It looks like it’s starting to calm down.”

You gently move a tentacle, it hurt so bad to move, and as you did so you could feel lightning arc up your arm to what you guess you’d call your brain.

You are surprised at how easily you can make out everyone’s words. Your senses are much more attuned than… You struggle to think, <much more attuned than what?> You observe your surroundings. Red is attentive, they want to do well and are trying to impress Pink, Green is just there, and doesn’t seem to care. Pink is… Pink is the leader. 2 people, and whatever the hell pink was, and yet always a chain of command.

Pink looked at some dials on the tube, “You’re a fighter aren’t you?” They said, their eyes big and hopeful, “That’s ok we like fighters here,” she seemed to be musing to herself. If the other’s noticed, they have been trained to not mention it. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a tablet, and unfolded it. She grabbed a stylus, and started to quickly jot down notes. “Alright, let’s start the first test,” She turned to green, “Introduce the Barium, monitor for potential cartilage damage.”

“Yes ma’am,” she fiddled with some buttons on her console, and the tank filled with wispy black tendrils. You try to hold your… Breath? Do you breathe? But can feel it sink in from your environment, like a paper towel dipped in water color paints, it climbs up your tendrils into the center of your form.

Pink turns to Red’s screen, Red turns to pink, “It looks like it has a very complex circulatory system,”

Pink smiles, “This is much better than the vivisection, it looks like it moves blood using these cavernous pores. No veins, no wonder we had such trouble, all of this must have collapsed under its own weight when the last subject passed.”

“Let’s see how it responds to stress. Introduce the epinephrine.” Pink said, her smile wide.

Green looked to the screen, “How much?”

“Let’s start with 1 mL.”

A tiny syringe floated down and released a bright red chemical that was almost immediately absorbed by yourself. You try to shake it off, but you can feel the anxiety creeping in. You shake as you feel something deep inside start to stir. You have to get out, you start moving towards the grate at the bottom of your prison. Your tentacles start to probe the steel, it’s firmly in place, you can see where the grate slides into, but no amount of pulling seems to free it. You float to the top of the tank, and again try to climb up it but you’re too big. You float back down.

“Seems to be responding to the epinephrine, what’s happening inside?” Pink asked not looking away from the tank.

Red looks at the screen, “We can see the Barium moving through the sponge, it’s speeding up.”

“Have we managed to identify any organs?” Pink said, turning to look over Red’s shoulder at the monitor again.

“No ma’am, it looks like it controls itself by constricting and expanding different… I guess I’d describe them as caves? Different tunnels in its body, but there’s no veins as far as we can tell.” Red said.

“So it doesn’t feel anything?” Pink said, a little crestfallen.

“I wouldn’t say that ma’am, we’re seeing oscillations all across the band, from Alpha to Gamma.” Red pointed at multiple rising and lowering bars on his screen.

“Wouldn’t wide spread activity like that mean there was some sort of brain matter? Also if that were true then it would be in tremendous pain.” Pink perked up when she said that.

You struggle to fit your body into the tiny tube the syringe had come from. Then floated down and waited a bit longer. You try to get the attention of the scientists. <I’m alive. I can feel. Look at me.>

Green looked up from their screen, “Do you want me to introduce codeine?”

Pink looked at her, “No, we just gave it epinephrine we don’t know what mixing the two would do. Since we’ve already tweaked it out, introduce another mL of adrenaline, there’s no reason not to test if this oscillation is pain related. Let’s try a low shock, start at 10 milliamps, and increase by factors of 10 stop at 70 ”

<That does not sound good> you think to yourself, moment before the electricity arced through your body. The first shock was blinding, it knocked out every perceptive sensor your tiny form had. You seized up, and your body slowly started convulsing. Your nerve endings, having just finished from being assaulted by every new sense your body had to take in, sparked back to life.

The moment passed, and you tried to catch your breath, the bitter taste of perfluorocarbon returning.

The second shock was even more brutal then the first, and you could feel your body contorting and twisting. You shook yourself, and just wanted it to stop. You spun, and something in your body kicked in, cysts growing on your tendrils. Blades? You immediately jammed these into the center of your body, moving quickly. <I am the master of my own destiny. I won’t let anyone hurt me.>

The tiny chunks of you float off in different directions, but still every fiber of your being is in pain from the electric shocks

“Alright stop the shocks,” Pink said, “Are those bits of it alive still?” She turned to Red again.

“As far as we can tell the cellular structure is still intact. So probably? We’re also reading the equivalent of brain activity across the board, though it was significantly increased during the milliamp experiment.”

“Interesting, asexual reproduction that’s caused by stress, and claws… An evolutionary advantage maybe? A way to pass on their line when escape is hopeless? Those blades or claws would imply predator” Pink looked at their tablet and started to write down more information, “Let’s stop with the experiments for now, if it gets any smaller we’ll have to replace the grate, who knew things would be so successful today?! Monitor it until the next shift comes in, oh and one of you fill out the paperwork to raise its classification. If it’s showing new abilities already, then I want to keep E class personnel away from it.”

Red snapped a salute, “Yes ma’am!” Green rolled their eyes.

The doors slide open and she exits the room. “God, she gives me the creeps.” Red said, breathing a sigh of relief as she left, the tension in the room immediately subsiding. For them at least, you are now pushing bits of yourself around the tube, watching as different bits of you float.

“That doesn’t seem to stop you from licking her boot, and what was that ‘Private’ poo poo. I thought you had my back.” Green was annoyed.

“Yeah, I have your back but I’ve gotta keep face in front of B-Class personnel” Red said, hurt.

“Bull. You just like pulling rank on people. Ever since you got promoted you’ve been the world’s biggest prick. I didn’t think getting to gently caress around with weirdo poo poo would have inflated your ego this much.”

The two devolved into petty bickering, you don’t mind, the brief respite from… Whatever the hell was happening to you over the last 20 minutes was a god send. You could still feel the other pieces of you floating in the tube. You can even “perceive” out of them, the stimuli quickly overwhelming you, though you soon adjust to that too.

You look at the room around you, and examine your tubing more closely. You could definitely tear yourself up to fit through the tube the syringe came out of, but you’re not sure where that would lead too, there’s also the grate, but that seems like a crap shoot as well. You take a minute and center yourself, doing… Whatever your equivalent of a deep breath was. You count to 10 slowly.

You allow yourself to perceive the room again, you see swirling emotions surrounding the two who are bickering. You can feel the problems between them, the Green one is jealous, a promotion is something they had been angling for for months.

Red got lucky, there was a containment break, and he managed to not get killed so he got the promotion to be able to debrief and talk about what he saw. Now he’s pulling this JROTC poo poo? gently caress. That. Green is Scared, Jealous, Angry, Confused

Green doesn’t understand that while Red likes them a lot, and is basically his NB Work Spouse. HR made it pretty clear though, that being friendly would only cause problems in the future. His friendship wasn’t more important than his career. Red is Scared, Sad, Angry, Lonely.

And they’re both terrified of Pink, the Rabbit, seeing them gently caress up.

You sense there might be an opening here. You poke and prod these emotions with your mind experimenting with the reactions you see from them. Maybe you don’t need to tear yourself up after all.

Or… Wait, they can like, talk to each other. With words. Could you use words? Would it even be worth it to try?

A.) Use this power immediately, see if you can get them at each other’s throats.
B.) Use this power immediately, see if you can get them to let you go.
C.) Try and talk to them, see what happens.
D.) Keep waiting… Maybe a better chance comes down the line? Maybe it doesn’t.

Picking a Post: 1d10 1

PMush Perfect posted:

We are being observed. The forms, they made us this way. They made us hurt. If we try to stop the hurt, they will make us hurt more.

C.

GM Fiat:

LLSix posted:

Slaan posted:

KittyEmpress posted:

Blasphemaster posted:

If life is pain, not life is not pain? Seems legit.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
E) A, but slowly, insidiously over time

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C. They think we’re an it, a thing they can experiment on. But we have comprehension, and command of their language, whilst they merely guess at what we might be. Talk to them. Vibrate the medium to produce audible sound waves. Put the fear of us into them not because of what we are, but because we know.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We're conscious of our separate bits? Useful. Break of some small parts to explore the grate, while keeping the rest of us here. If they realise what we're doing, they'll replace the grate, so we should hide this from them as long as possible.

Also, cars and alternators are quite advanced concepts compared to the connections and emotions of other lifeforms. Maybe mediate on where that knowlege came from - if we picked it up from the others around us, who knows what else came from them... our self-awareness? For all that it hurts, we probably want to keep that.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AC combo. Parrot their speech during their argument to put words in their mouths as it were, and turn the conflict up to 11.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Dog Kisser posted:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dog Kisser posted:

Not emptyquoting

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

E: We can poke around in their minds? How about we try to have a little fun at our captors expense?
-Plant seeds in their mind to blossom into horrific and glorious visions of the endless flesh plains of Ur as they sleep.
-...We might not know exactly what the endless flesh plain of Ur is, if anything, but the name ought to give our captors minds enough room to provide their own gruesome details.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The arguing continued for a bit, and as they were focussed on each other you took the moment of peace to explore more carefully, you notice that very small bits of you had slipped past the grate, and while they were not able to move very much on their own, it was enough to see what was down there. The pit was filled with dead flesh, it was dark, there were seemingly no openings, your tiny chunks try their best to swim over and around to explore the inner chamber. It was all metal, but you noticed that there was a sliding gate that could be used to separate the flesh pit from the rest of the chamber that you are floating in.

While doing that, you reach out to the feelings of Red and Green, you can perceive their auras, the color of their energy, the beauty of their emotions. Even more so, you can touch it. You listen to their conversation.

“My ego is not inflated, I just have responsibilities now. I have to watch myself and who I interact with, I can’t play favorites!” Red said.

You saw a pain of hurt and annoyance flick off of Green and they try their best to suppress it. That might be an excellent chance to test this newfound ability. You reach out at the strand and pull on it. The color mottling the rest of the feelings. Green looks down and to the side.

“We’re friends… I’m not asking you to play favorites, just to not be a dick…” They sighed and lifted their knees to their chest, sitting in their chair without touching the floor. Green opened up the console and started to file their report. Meanwhile Red sat there in silence, he wanted to say they were friends, and if he could he probably would play favorites, but he was scared to admit how close they were. He tried to say something, but again you push it down, just a bit. Just enough to stop him from fixing it.

The rest of the shift that day was spent with them sitting mostly in silence stewing in their hurt emotions and battered feelings. You sense there’s something deeper in this, not just the promotion, or Red flexing his rank a little bit. As they study you, you study them and peer into the swirling eddies of energy and emotion that radiate off of them. You reach into Red first, you sense he is the weaker of the two. You wonder if they can see the colors you see. You pull a small part of them into the tank, but no-one seems to notice.

The shift changes, and they both leave, the new pair are much happier, and spend the majority of their shift just talking about what you assume are TV shows, or books, or comics or something. They also don’t notice the piece of Red you have taken. You stretch the piece of aura through your tentacles, and suddenly you see something new.

I’m sitting in a bare apartment. I think of going out but instead watch TV, I open up my phone and look at the 3 contacts in my phone. I, for the fourth time this year, think of deleting mom’s number since she has passed, but what is the point? It won’t change whether she’ll call or not. The other number is Taylor, but we only talk about work stuff, and I don’t know how they’d react to me calling them on off hours. I consider again, for just a moment of calling them, telling them I want to hang out. We play video games in the break room, why can’t we do the same off work? I look at the picture of us at the company picnic. I study the picture, again like I always do, hoping? Praying there’s something more in the empty stare, but there isn’t. Not really, whatever you’re looking for is not there.

Then there’s the third number. I know it’s not right. I should have reported it to command the moment it showed up, but… I don’t. I try to ignore it, and open up youtube for the 3rd time. Still no new videos, how can I be subscribed to 60 channels and there’s still nothing to watch? And I still sit and stare at the phone.

I could play a game? I look at the gaming computer, it cost me $2,000 and I’ve done nothing since I’ve built it. I check my phone again, looking at one of the many chat rooms that exist on the company app. People are there, they talk and I watch the conversation, I think about saying something, being a part of it, but I know I’ll just bother them. One of them asks me if I want to play a game with them. I quickly switch myself to invisible and try to avoid the question.

I sigh heavily, I already knew what I was going to do, so why put it off.

I call the third number. There’s two rings, always two rings, and then a click.

“Hello Ken, how are you doing today?” Their voice is like lacquered honey, the loneliness of the apartment is already slowly fading away. I can feel the edges of my anxiety slowly being ground down.

“I got in a fight with Taylor today, and I think they hate me.” Kevin puts his hand on his head, “Why can’t I just… I…”

“Shhhh… Shhhh… It’s ok! It’s ok, you have so much heart it can be hard for you to express yourself, but if you want we can work together on that, if that’s what you want.”

I look down at the ground, that’s not what I want. “Can… Can you come over?”

“Of course, of course, but are you sure you’re willing to pay the price?” The voice chuckles.

“Yes…” I walk over to the kitchenette and pull out a small blade, I keep it unbelievably sharp just for this purpose. I quickly slice my palm over my phone, and tiny drops of blood seem to get absorbed into it. There’s smoke, and then there’s a beautiful person. Their eyes are bright red, their hair is a vibrant Green, they touch my chest, and my heart leaps into my throat. “I… I have to tell command about this eventually.”

They smile with a small chuckle “Of course dear, of course, but until then, why don’t we just play a game?” They have the controller in their hand already, the loneliness ebbs away. “Are you sure this is all you want?” They always ask me this. I get the feeling I could ask for anything, anything at all, my mind wanders to all the different amazing things this… Whatever this could give me, Riches, Wealth, Beauty, Charisma, an infinite well of wishes and yet...

“Yeah, that’s all I want for now.”

They laugh and give me a gentle kiss on the forehead, and my body just melts…

The piece of Red… Or maybe their name is Ken… disappears, whether due to the entity, or your prying you’re not sure. That information seems like it could be useful? You don’t see Ken and Taylor again for almost 16 hours, and the next day they still watch. The next few days are uneventful, whatever tests they were running seemed to have stopped, and now there is just a rotating crew of scientists and people who filter in and out of the room.

Both Ken and Taylor want to apologize to each other, Taylor understands that Ken’s promotion wasn’t something he could control, and even if he could they wouldn’t have wanted him to throw away an opportunity like that.

Ken wanted to say sorry, he knew that when he was pulling rank that Taylor would hate it. He just wanted to feel powerful and in control for a moment, and in doing so hurt Taylor.

It was incredibly easy to keep the anxiety radiating off of both of them to a smothering degree, the deep saturated black covering the other emotions, tiny pin pricks of light as they both wait longer and longer to give an apology. You keep this going for weeks, you wonder when the tests are going to start up again, though you get the feeling that the heads of these different departments are extremely busy. You pull at the pain and annoyance, you notice that they fill in the blanks for the emotions themselves. Even though both see that they should apologize, they now feel that the other should do it first, and every interaction after that is just -

You feel a rumbling in the grate beneath you, and you see that the grate has been slid shut. You monitor the pieces of you that slid to the bottom, a maintenance worker of some sort unlatches the bottom grate there is a glass lid on it, and he places it in a bin that’s labelled “BIOHAZARD: INCINERATION ROOM.” He goes to open the door, when he sees the Rabbit. She’s on the phone and she seems pissed.

“Listen you dumb gently caress, you promoted one of my team members without asking me, and now they’re compatibility is in the loving tank. Taylor and Ken had a 77% cohesiveness rating, and after your stupid stunt they’re in the low 30s. And Dropping. Who even gave you permission to do this?!”

The maintenance worker seemed to know better than to walk out into the hallway right now, and closed the door. You could still hear her through the door.

“You did not desperately need his debriefing, there were multiple cameras that caught the incident. You do not make any personnel decisions on MY team, without my explicit permission, do you hear me?”

“Take it up with the Director? Are you joking? I’ll slit your goddamn throat and throw your body into the forest on Kessler 6. You think I give a poo poo about inter-corporate politics? You try and gently caress my team again and I’ll make sure you pay for it. Do you understand me?”

“Shut. Up. SHUTUP.” She yelled into the phone, “How about this, I’ll tell your wife about the new artifact that I KNOW you’ve been taking out of your Lab? Or maybe I show the director?”

“Yeah. Yeah I know, dipshit. So make sure you list to the next thing I say like your life depended on it.”

“Shut up, listen to me. Do. Not. Mess. With. My. Team. Do you understand me?”

“No, say it back to me.”

Ma’am, I won’t mess with your team Ma’am.”

“loving Idiot.”

She ripped the earpiece off and shoved it in her pocket, then she pinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath, you watch her step into the laboratory as you see the maintenance engineer take your parts through the lab to the incinerator. You can’t see the Lab through the glass as the Engineer quickly stacks another bin on top of it. Thirty minutes later you feel the small parts of you be incinerated and covered in burning liquid metal. The feeling is unpleasant.

Both Ken and Taylor snap too when The Rabbit enters the room. She has regained her composure, and the smile she gives them seems incredibly genuine, but her aura is one of barely contained rage and annoyance, “Hey, hey, I wanted you to both know that after the breach a while back we’re now going to be providing counseling on a more regular basis. It’s not optional, but we’re doing group sessions and then individual sessions, I’ll cover the last few hours of this shift, and the two of you can go ahead and see the counselor now.”

A.) Try to steal a piece of Aura to perceive once more.
AK.) Ken’s Aura
AT.) Taylor’s Aura
AR.) Rabbit’s Aura
AM.) Maintenance Engineer’s Aura

B.) Try to send bigger chunks into the pit. Maybe enough that you could move around and disengage the lock keeping it in place.

C.) See if there’s a way to get parts of you up through the syringe chute. Getting into the crawl space might give you a bigger view of the lab, and the surrounding areas.

D.) Observe / get a break down on one of the other 4 shift teams that monitor your cage.

How many posts could a post picker post if a post picker picked a post: 1d9 3

Elfface posted:

We're conscious of our separate bits? Useful. Break of some small parts to explore the grate, while keeping the rest of us here. If they realise what we're doing, they'll replace the grate, so we should hide this from them as long as possible.

Also, cars and alternators are quite advanced concepts compared to the connections and emotions of other lifeforms. Maybe mediate on where that knowlege came from - if we picked it up from the others around us, who knows what else came from them... our self-awareness? For all that it hurts, we probably want to keep that.
How many posts could a post picker post if a post picker picked a post: 1d9 6

Victis posted:

Dog Kisser posted:

Do you want to be pinged on Discord for every update? Go ahead and join the CYOA discord and ask for the "Black Labs" user role, and you'll get a ping from me for every update I post. https://discord.gg/uwUYXeE

Plus if you're a lurker and you pick up the role, then I am even more motivated because I know there are more then I think enjoying my stories[/url]

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 17, 2021

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
AR

There is no merit in just upping the general background level of suffering and frustration.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AR

This one appears to be be the primary entity of this team. We should see what we can learn from it.

Also

AJ_Impy posted:

There is no merit in just upping the general background level of suffering and frustration.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

AM: Maintenance engineer ought to know something about our prison.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

AR

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

C

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

AR

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AM

Seems like an option that's both safe and useful.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
AM

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You stay with the engineer as he continues on his work. You pull deeper into his aura and you start to observe as he does, seeing his movements. Feeling the chill as the A/C turns on. He looks at his watch. Alright, I wonder what the cafeteria is serving tonight. He continues down the hallway, creeping past the Rabbit’s lab. He really didn’t want to get on the Scientist’s bad side. He bumped into Ken and Taylor who were leaving at that moment. “Hey guys!” He said cheerily, waving, “How’s it going?”

Ken looks lost, and Taylor looks mildly annoyed, but they quickly changed their tune, Taylor smiled “Hey Marcus, it’s going pretty well. Dr. Semper is really pleased with the progress of Subject number one two dash four, so she’s been in a particularly good mood.”

“#12-4? Which one is that?” Marcus asked puzzled.

“It’s the weird flesh pile. Basically looks like a giant tumor.” Ken said with a sigh, “I think it’s gross as hell, but what do I know. I’d love to be on something, anything different. I hate classifying these things.”

“Ah well, at least you don’t have to clean out the tanks,” Marcus replied with a smile, “I’m always scared one of these days I’m going to walk into the wrong cage and…” He trailed off a bit before dragging a line across his throat, “You know?”

Taylor nodded, “Yeah I know all too well.”

“I’m about to hit up the Cafe and get some dinner you guys want to come?” Marcus asked.

“Nah, we have to go to the counselor.” Ken said.

“Oof, well I’ll leave you to it then.” Marcus smiled and waved, leaving Ken and Taylor in the hallway. Man, poor guys… You see for a split second a shadowy figure wearing a mask and Marcus shakes his head.

Marcus shivered and pushed the thought away. He crossed his way across the labs, and entered the Cafeteria. The smell of Garam Marsala and warm spices filled his nose. He looked over at the menu and smiled, he grabbed one of the bottles of Sriracha and grabbed some food. It the butter chicken looked positively scrumptious and he quickly poured over basmati rice with a grin. The free meals were one of the best perks of working at the Lab. He almost never missed a meal while he was on shift. He looked around the room, searching for a free seat when a friend waived at him. It was Jessie, and it looked like Morgan was over there too. He walked over and grabbed a free seat at the table. Jessie and Morgan were looking at a laptop screen and tittering, this peaked Marcus’ interest. Both were wearing their security uniforms, and strapped to Morgan’s back was a fairly dangerous looking assault rifle.

“What are you guys looking at?” Marcus asked conversationally.

“Oh you know the breach that happened two weeks ago?” Jessie said, waving him over. Marcus moved his chair to the other side of the room, “Yeah?”

“Well the director had said that the problem was not enough security or maintenance people, so he hired a few new people.” Jessie said, “Most of them have washed out, but one of them was able to get past the application process. Today’s her first day, and she’s cleaning out the containment cell of Number Four Slash Four.”

“#4/4? That’s the… It’s Gilbert and Sullivan’s pen right? The one that makes you sit down and write a manuscript with your own blood?” Marcus asked.

“No you’re thinking of P.O.P, besides, they wouldn’t throw the rookie in the deep end like that, #4/4 is the song-bird.” Morgan said with a wide grin.

Marcus realized what that meant, he smiled, “Oh this is going to be good.” He looked down at the screen, “Have they figured out how it picks it’s songs?”

Morgan touched her chin, “Yeah I was talking to Dr. Cogger, the psych? He was saying that it has to do with a heart-song. Whatever that means, he tried to explain it to me but it was all a bit over my head. Something about pleasant memories, and times of triumph.”

“Oh hush, it’s starting.” Jessie said pointing at the screen excitedly, they all huddled around the laptop and watched.

:siren::siren::siren: This has sound, like a lot of it.:siren::siren::siren:

http://bobapearlessence.com/Lab619/03/Escape_From_Lab_619_v_Final_6.mp4

“Uhhh…” Marcus said, “That doesn’t really seem pleasant...” He said, looking over at Jessie and Morgan who also seemed to be a bit uneasy.

Jessie shrugged and tried to laugh it off, “It’s probably nothing.”

Morgan groaned, “I’m gonna dig a little deeper on her background check. You know just to be sure. Though it could be more metaphorical?”

Marcus raised an eyebrow, “Has it ever been ‘more metaphorical?’”

Jessie bit her lip and said quietly, “No, no not really.”

Marcus had just about finished his meal, and grabbed a to go cup of Hot Chocolate, “I have a split shift today,” he said to Jessie and Morgan, who had gone awkwardly silent since they had watched the tape, “2 hour break in between, so if anyone needs me I’m going to take a nap.”

Jessie nodded, “Yeah sure thing Mark,” Morgan had pulled out her own laptop, and the two were typing rapidly.

Marcus walked off to one of the break rooms, and grabbed a cot, a pillow, and a sheet from the wall cupboard.

A.) Wait until Marcus does his rounds.

B.) Absorb Marcus’ Aether
B1.) A little bit
B2.) A moderate amount
B3.) All of it

C.) Try to sense things in other containment cells

D.) Do not control the engineer Switch to another person
D1.) Rabbit
D2.) Red
D3.) Green
D4.) The Dead Girl Walking (Rookie)

E.) Remember something...

Choosing a Post: 1d8 7

super sweet best pal posted:

AM

Seems like an option that's both safe and useful.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 7, 2021

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
E) Remember P.O.P.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

This is the perfect way to get the layout of the building.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

A

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

A

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

A

Adbot