Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, I'm going to call back once I actually get it back; right now all I know is that I asked them to replace the battery, and they said they would and charged me $150 up front, and I did so and sent them the iPad in the box they sent me, and then they sent it back to me a week later and they said they couldn't see an issue.

Why wait? Call now and they can read internal notes. My guess is the advisor didn't classify it correctly or maybe just a weird repair note. But call now and they can investigate what was done at the arc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Good sign, got a new ipad and been on the phone for 30+ minutes with applecare trying to get a year of appletv+ for free, since I should be eligible. Even screenshared (neat) to show I was not actually full of poo poo. :sigh:

edit: took about an hour to get a code + two screenshares and troubleshooting.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 4, 2021

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boris Galerkin posted:

Even though cloud storage is a thing, you still need enough local storage for the apps, your art assets, the “other” cache, and updating iOS. 128 GB really should be the minimum IMO.

I was actually looking at buying one of the new Airs and hemmed and hawed for this reason. 64GB doesn't seem like enough as I use about 60GB on my phone right now, and surely I would install more games and stuff on a tablet.

I ended up springing for the 256GB Air, but part of me wonders if I shouldn't have just stretched the budget out just a bit more to get the 128GB Pro 11"... guess I'll find out if I care when it shows up today. Also, it's completely dumb, but I wanted the blue pad to match my blue phone. :colbert:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Also, it's completely dumb, but I wanted the blue pad to match my blue phone. :colbert:

I wanted the rose gold one because my manly rear end likes the girly colors but they didn't have it, and I figured it'd be in a case anyways so it didn't matter.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i love my 2017 10.5 " ipad pro 512gb. It has all of my music and all of my photos with room to spare.

Battery ain't what it used to be though :(

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got my Air. First things to note; Jesus Christ, installing a screen protector on this thing without any dirt or dust is impossible (yes, I know all the tricks like doing it after a hot shower in a steamy bathroom).

Second thing to note: :dance:

It's nice. Very nice. Will have to figure out the screen protector thing eventually, I can already tell I don't like the feel of the Pencil on bare glass all that much.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bare glass? Aren't the new Airs' screens laminated?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Last Chance posted:

bare glass? Aren't the new Airs' screens laminated?

Yes, the glass is laminated to the screen.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Yes, the glass is laminated to the screen.

ah yeah, I was picturing the non-laminated displays feeling more like "bare glass" and had no idea how the laminate worked thank u

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I only got a couple specs under my screen protector, thankfully they're near the edges of the screen and I never actually see them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought a multi-pack and thankfully the second went on there much easier than the first. I also did it downstairs at my workstation and not upstairs at the dining room table, so maybe the different environment helped. If there's a spec or hair under here I certainly can't see it.

It's good too because the Pencil was screeching/squeaking on the bare glass sometimes and it was, uh, quite an unpleasant and shrill noise, honestly.

Kinda bummed my Magic Keyboard didn't come in the same shipment but it comes tomorrow so oh well, first world problems.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 4, 2021

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I finally bit the bullet and got one of those paper like matte screen protectors. I am not looking forward to installing this on a 12.9" iPad screen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I still don't understand screen protectors on a tablet.. I use my iPad Air 4 for Procreate and I'm 100% sure it'd eat through those $20 nibs from Apple like sandpaper...

I know a lot of other artists LOVE Paperlike but...

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

I still don't understand screen protectors on a tablet.. I use my iPad Air 4 for Procreate and I'm 100% sure it'd eat through those $20 nibs from Apple like sandpaper...

I've always used a Paperlike and I've changed nibs twice, and one of those was because I dropped my pencil and it landed on the nib tip and damaged it. Same reason I always used the felt tip on my Wacom Cintiq's pen- plastic against smooth glass feels like rear end when drawing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I've always used a Paperlike and I've changed nibs twice, and one of those was because I dropped my pencil and it landed on the nib tip and damaged it. Same reason I always used the felt tip on my Wacom Cintiq's pen- plastic against smooth glass feels like rear end when drawing.

I think I've come to love drawing on glass from my time with the Pixelbook's Pen and screen. I did draw a bit on paper last week cause my iPad needed charging, and I did have more control. But I find I don't mind the glass on smooth pen tip though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I need one because my primary use is as a TV in a shed and often time weed or grit gets stuck to the cover when it's being a stand and then pressed into the screen when closed. I also like the reduced glare the paperlike gives.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm a little worried about the pressure sensitivity with using the pen. Sometimes on some apps it doesn't register as full pressure until I'm noticing it starts to begin to warp the LCD (you see the lcd water effects kind of thing) so maybe the paperlike will help that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm mostly curious if it really makes a difference and I had $30 to blow in case it didn't. I've been drawing on glass for so long I might hate a more textured surface.

I've also seen people use nib covers that offer a more 'textured' feel. The only problem is it makes the pencil tip ever so slightly fatter and people have said that is annoying for detail work. The ideal solution is a nib tip you can swap out that duplicates the 'draw on paper' feel, but that doesn't appear to exist.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’m too cheap to even get a name brand one. I got a 2 pack of the “Paperfeel” screen protectors on Amazon. Though I think there might only be one or two companies actually producing the protectors because while mine was branded “KCT” all of the paperwork clearly said “Bersem” which is another brand entirely.

But it was only like $10 and I like it so far, other than my constant inability to install screen protectors correctly.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Are the Paperlike and knockoffs like matte protectors that noticeably gently caress with the screen clarity/look grainy?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I honestly can't say as I didn't even turn my iPad on before putting a screen protector on it. But I haven't had any complaints about the quality of the image. I was very concerned about it, but I don't think you should be.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I mean there is a slight trade off of sorts because they are matte and textured, but it’s nothing that bothers me. Maybe the most annoying thing is a slight rainbow effect that’s only visible when the screen is all white, and only if you’ve really jammed the iPad into your face.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

japtor posted:

Are the Paperlike and knockoffs like matte protectors that noticeably gently caress with the screen clarity/look grainy?

Yup. Mine is hella scratched but I still like it

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I did pretty good on the paper-like screen protector installation using the steamy bathroom method. I haven't noticed any rainbow patterns, but touch sensitivity seems slightly impacted. I'm having more trouble pinching to zoom in and out in Procreate. I didn't see any problems elsewhere, so not sure how prevalent that'll be. Then again I was having problems with the pinch gesture in Procreate even before this.

The rougher texture does feel much better with the Apple Pencil. I know this will wear down my nibs faster and I don't care. It's a worthwhile upgrade if you draw on the iPad.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i bought a 2-pack of matte screen protectors for my 12.9 and it was like $9. if i get tired of it, i can remove it for a while and then get annoyed that writing feels worse and put another on, and... i'm out $9, so who cares.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is there any way to get use out of an older (3rd generation) iPad? I bought it brand new, it's the Wifi+Cellular 64GB model, but noted that when I updated iOS to ~9.3.5 - admittedly, several years ago now - it was slow to the point of useless. I'm guessing I can't really downgrade, because the whole GPS thing actually even merited an upgrade after that, but would jailbreaking offer any performance improvement?

I'd be happy with being able to use it to browse the web, it'd be great to install newer apps but I'm assuming that's just entirely out.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Krakkles posted:

Is there any way to get use out of an older (3rd generation) iPad? I bought it brand new, it's the Wifi+Cellular 64GB model, but noted that when I updated iOS to ~9.3.5 - admittedly, several years ago now - it was slow to the point of useless. I'm guessing I can't really downgrade, because the whole GPS thing actually even merited an upgrade after that, but would jailbreaking offer any performance improvement?

I'd be happy with being able to use it to browse the web, it'd be great to install newer apps but I'm assuming that's just entirely out.

Someone had a similar question in the last page. In short: you can redownload old versions of purchased apps from the "Purchased" section in the App Store and some will provide an iOS 9 compatible version, but it's a bit of a crapshoot. I use my iPad 3 as a digital photo frame, and jailbreaking probably won't make a big difference performancewise but you might be able to squeeze some additional functionality out of it with video game emulation or something.

e: I've also noticed that if you don't sign into iCloud at all (e.g. no syncing Photos, Messages, etc), the iPad 3 does a lot better in terms of performance. So if you really just wanted a device to browse the web or import iBooks to, it may still work ok

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Someone had a similar question in the last page. In short: you can redownload old versions of purchased apps from the "Purchased" section in the App Store and some will provide an iOS 9 compatible version, but it's a bit of a crapshoot. I use my iPad 3 as a digital photo frame, and jailbreaking probably won't make a big difference performancewise but you might be able to squeeze some additional functionality out of it with video game emulation or something.

e: I've also noticed that if you don't sign into iCloud at all (e.g. no syncing Photos, Messages, etc), the iPad 3 does a lot better in terms of performance. So if you really just wanted a device to browse the web or import iBooks to, it may still work ok
Holy crap, I incorrectly thought this was so out of the blue it wasn't even worth looking - my bad, and thank you!

iCloud syncing sounds totally unnecessary to me, so that may be entirely viable. I'll give it a try, thank you!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The iCloud thing might be just a coincidence. That's not really resource intensive after the initial setup/sync.

The issue with the iPad 3 is the hardware is woefully underpowered for driving that retina screen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

The iCloud thing might be just a coincidence. That's not really resource intensive after the initial setup/sync.

The issue with the iPad 3 is the hardware is woefully underpowered for driving that retina screen.

Yeah, there's a reason it was replaced only 7 months later.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a way to turn off that bottom row of buttons that come up when you’re in a text field when I’m typing on a real keyboard? It’s kinda annoying seeing it. Turning of “Predictive” just gets rid of the predictive text but the bar is still there.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to turn off that bottom row of buttons that come up when you’re in a text field when I’m typing on a real keyboard? It’s kinda annoying seeing it. Turning of “Predictive” just gets rid of the predictive text but the bar is still there.

Toggling off “Shortcuts” in addition to “Predictive” should do it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does the new Microsoft Office app mean I can delete Word, Excel, and PowerPoint?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does the new Microsoft Office app mean I can delete Word, Excel, and PowerPoint?

Yes, I believe that is the case. It should cover those three apps and a little extra from what I can gather.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/02/microsoft-releases-new-all-in-one-office-app-for-ipads/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Open-box Apple Pencil 1st gen for $58.65 when you use code "PICKVIP15"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MK0C2AM-A-Pencil-for-iPad-Pro-White/122503160756

Condition is "like new" and it has a 90 day return from the seller.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

FCKGW posted:

Condition is "like new"

translation: “maybe it’s been in a butt?”

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Well, I got some grant money for school and decided to splurge on an iPad Air, magic keyboard, and pencil, plus a couple of other odds and ends.

Still, I’m torn because I do like the idea of the M1 MacBook Airs but the price of those with 16gb of RAM and even decent storage (512GB) blows past my budget. A Mac Mini might be more doable, since I do have access to a 6th generation iPad that is just fine. My Air arrives tomorrow though I could return it all I guess.

I don’t think I’ll return it but the only hesitation is the upcoming Apple event and new iPad Pros.

Anyone else splurge for the iPad Air and feel good about it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'd go crazy using my ipad pro as my only computer. I don't think a non maxed out Macbook Air costs much more than the iPad and all accessories, and if a 16/512 is out of your budget, get a cheaper model. It'll still be a better computer than your ipad.

e: just realized you said you have a 6th gen ipad. If you're looking at getting a laptop ish thing, I'd definitely get a macbook and keep that older ipad

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

sourdough posted:

I'd go crazy using my ipad pro as my only computer. I don't think a non maxed out Macbook Air costs much more than the iPad and all accessories, and if a 16/512 is out of your budget, get a cheaper model. It'll still be a better computer than your ipad.

e: just realized you said you have a 6th gen ipad. If you're looking at getting a laptop ish thing, I'd definitely get a macbook and keep that older ipad

Yeah my situation is actually all luxury either way.

I’ve got a decent Hackintosh at home for video editing stuff and a MacBook Pro 2012 at work along with the iPad. The MacBook Pro is chugging along though it has power issues from time to time and shows it’s age.

I am supposed to spend the grant on internet access and a new laptop or tablet. I’ll see how I feel about the iPad Air when it gets here and go from there. I will do a lot remote research, writing, and interviewing kinds of things this summer, so I was feeling excited to just bring an iPad Air around for flexibility and writing.

I guess I will see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Can I use a usb -> usb-c adapter with a wifi dongle with an ipad pro? If so, any suggestions on which to buy?

The wifi died on it under warranty and apple quoted hundreds of dollars to fix it even though it's their faulty hardware. The problem is somewhat widespread, but people are ignorant and think it's their router/settings rather than a legitimate hardware issue. I've never owned a laptop/netbook/tablet where almost every critical system has failed within 3 years of purchase before, but this ipad pro 10.5 has been the absolute worst. And apple's warranty coverage is/was non-existent. I had the home button, screen, and wifi module fail on the thing in the first 18 months. No water damage, no drops, bought brand new at an apple store. The only reason it has any connectivity at all is because one of the repair shops was willing to resolder, replace the screen, and repair the home button for a fraction of what apple quoted. Home button works & recognizes touch now, screen is stellar, but the wifi/bt is still intermittent and the software doesn't even properly recover from the issue so you have to chain hard reboot and hope for the best.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 5, 2021