Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
It’s always been Justine. There’s a 0% chance Pat even has Twitter on his phone. It was Justine when “Patrick” tweeted about the baseball seats being lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Patrick Reed is a garbage bag full of cottage cheese and surrounds himself with people who are even worse.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

i am a moron posted:

Patrick Reed is a garbage bag full of cottage cheese and surrounds himself with people who are even worse.

I resent this

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hit the range for the first time in months. I barely made contact, and my clubs are somehow rusted. It was awesome.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

i am a moron posted:

Easy, Tiger

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Judgement call question for fellow goons.

I golf a lot with my dad, he’s great to play with, rarely has anything but a smile on his face, and plays really quick. He’s currently 67 years old.

He’s not a bad golfer by any means, I think he has a pretty repeatable swing, depending on the course will shoot like low 90s to low 100s. He’s also plenty long for someone his age, with his good drives going probably 220-230ish with roll.

I’m generally a high 70s / low 80s stick these days, and definitely see areas where he could improve, but I’m very hesitant to give people advice. The only thing I’ll consistently look for with him is he has a tendency to start putting the ball really far back in his stance with his driver. I’ll mention it if I see it and it’s usually a helpful tip.

His biggest problem as I see it though, he hits up on the ball with all of his irons/wedges. Very rarely does it seem like he gets any compression, never even a remote divot unless he chunks it, which results in a lot of low flight, short carry shots. That works sometimes, but overall I feel like it really hurts his game. I feel like he hits his irons quite a bit shorter than he should, and really struggles on courses that have a lot of bunkers or not straight run ups to the green.

So, do I say something? He’s retired and could definitely afford lessons, or spend time on the range, but i don’t want to send him into a golf improvement spiral that kills his enjoyment. I just see the opportunity there for him to shave like 5+ strokes off his game if he translated the power he has with his driver to his irons.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Does he have fun when he plays? If so, that’s all that matters.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DoctaFun posted:

I golf a lot with my dad, he’s great to play with, rarely has anything but a smile on his face, and plays really quick. He’s currently 67 years old.

He’s not a bad golfer by any means, I think he has a pretty repeatable swing, depending on the course will shoot like low 90s to low 100s. He’s also plenty long for someone his age, with his good drives going probably 220-230ish with roll.

I’m generally a high 70s / low 80s stick these days, and definitely see areas where he could improve, but I’m very hesitant to give people advice. The only thing I’ll consistently look for with him is he has a tendency to start putting the ball really far back in his stance with his driver. I’ll mention it if I see it and it’s usually a helpful tip.

His biggest problem as I see it though, he hits up on the ball with all of his irons/wedges. Very rarely does it seem like he gets any compression, never even a remote divot unless he chunks it, which results in a lot of low flight, short carry shots. That works sometimes, but overall I feel like it really hurts his game. I feel like he hits his irons quite a bit shorter than he should, and really struggles on courses that have a lot of bunkers or not straight run ups to the green.

So, do I say something? He’s retired and could definitely afford lessons, or spend time on the range, but i don’t want to send him into a golf improvement spiral that kills his enjoyment. I just see the opportunity there for him to shave like 5+ strokes off his game if he translated the power he has with his driver to his irons.

Depends on your relationship. If you have some simple tips to see how he reacts, and you think he'll take it well, go ahead. He seems to have the prerequisites to make beneficial changes. But, as said above, don't let it get in the way of a good time, and if he doesn't make a quick change for the better, drop it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah since it's your dad I think there's a little more leeway in terms of giving advice, but "compressing the ball" is, from what I can tell, the hardest thing about golf so I'm not sure some quick course tips will solve that.

(Though if you have any, feel free to share them here too)

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

So people I play with consistently comment on how high I hit the ball. I still get OK distance - my 7 iron carries 160 as an example. But I feel like I'm losing some distance - my driver carries 240 and also goes pretty high despite me delofting it to a 7.5 degree. Based upon my rangefinder my swing speed is ~105-110 on it. Can someone tell me if this is an issue or if it's something I should just embrace? It has its benefits, of course, but I'm getting pretty sick of my drives getting either zero roll via plugging or negative carry with it spinning back slightly (seriously this is ridiculous).

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Daric posted:

Does he have fun when he plays? If so, that’s all that matters.

My dad is a fair duffer at 70. He’s usually too high to care.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

So people I play with consistently comment on how high I hit the ball. I still get OK distance - my 7 iron carries 160 as an example. But I feel like I'm losing some distance - my driver carries 240 and also goes pretty high despite me delofting it to a 7.5 degree. Based upon my rangefinder my swing speed is ~105-110 on it. Can someone tell me if this is an issue or if it's something I should just embrace? It has its benefits, of course, but I'm getting pretty sick of my drives getting either zero roll via plugging or negative carry with it spinning back slightly (seriously this is ridiculous).
You should be able to carry in the 265 yd range with that swing speed. For many years, Mark Crossfield had a meme about carrying all drivers 262 yds and he was around 105mph. It could be an equipment issue but it's more likely technique. If you want to post a video at some point we can analyze.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My dad and I are real close, so I don’t think he’d be mad or anything. My biggest concern is he goes down into a downward ‘trying to fix things’ spiral. Just want to see him shoot a few more rounds in the 80s ya know :).

Kirios posted:

Sounds like you must be getting a lot more backspin on your drives than you would ideally have. Does the ball seem to balloon when you hit it? I guess I don’t know how to explain that, but I can tell when I hit a spinny drive every now and then cause it will have a much like sharper peak, and almost falls straight down.

Are you one of those guys who’s drives plug in a wet fairway or get like no roll out at all?

Probably some combo of technique issues and equipment issues. you should definitely be hitting the ball further than that given you’re making good contact I’d think.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah my contact is decent, ball mostly flies straight or it draws a little. My drives are definitely plugging more than anything else.

Edit:. I did a few swings just now to check my divots and they look fine..maybe slightly less than expected? But it's in front of the ball so I doubt I'm scooping it.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 4, 2021

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kirios posted:

Yeah my contact is decent, ball mostly flies straight or it draws a little. My drives are definitely plugging more than anything else.

Edit:. I did a few swings just now to check my divots and they look fine..maybe slightly less than expected? But it's in front of the ball so I doubt I'm scooping it.

Yeah, I guarantee you’re not scooping it if you have a really high ball flight.

Someone with more knowledge should be able to verify, but if you have that type of ball flight with all your clubs, it’s likely some combination of technique(primarily) and equipment(secondary).

On the equipment side, I’d think your shafts are a likely contributor. Too much flex or too low of a kick point from what I gather. You may get some gains by finding a better suited shaft and maybe testing some ‘low-spin’ heads for a driver, but I wouldn’t expect that to fully solve the problem on its own. Could definitely help though!

As for the technique side, maybe coming in too steep? Especially with the driver, if your hitting down on the ball too much, I think that can often lead to pretty spinny drives. You should be hitting the ball slightly after your swing arc bottoms out, with your driver.

I’d see if you could hop on a simulator at a golf shop, bring your driver and hit a few to baseline your spin rate. Then find a stiffer shaft, or a low spin head, or both, and see if you see that number drop. If it drops significantly(without like killing your distance/carry, maybe pick up a cheap used driver with some of those specs to test, or, if you can swing it, go get fitted. Just remember that those simulators can be juiced, so it’s always good to baseline with your current driver.

Normally in golf it’s never as easy as simply finding a different club though, so getting a pro to take a look at your swing may often be more beneficial.

Someone like Josh L, BC, zinc, mattfl, kameh, etc can probably validate this or just completely debunk everything I said though, I am not a pro.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I got my new Sub 70 3 Hybrid and took it out to the range. Unfortunately, the balls I was hitting were still going right. Not a full on slice but just starting on line and then leaking right. Luckily this thing is adjustable unlike my previous club so I bumped it up 1 degree which naturally closes the face just a little bit and from then on every shot was right down the middle. Crazy how much difference a tiny adjustment can make.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I’m a three time club champion at my course and my dad ignores any swing tips or advice I offer. Meanwhile his older brother can mention anything related to golf and my dad will research, buy it, etc. He also does the same thing with finances though, and his brother is nearly 80 and still has to work part time despite a long well paid career because he’s awful with investing. I’ve learned not to take it personally lol

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I’ve been working on a side business making custom ballmarkers. I had the manufacturer make me a set of a design I’m not planning to sell just to see the quality and they came in this morning. I’m very happy with them, now I just need to go ahead and order the designs I actually am planning to sell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yo that is rad as poo poo

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

Daric posted:

I’ve been working on a side business making custom ballmarkers. I had the manufacturer make me a set of a design I’m not planning to sell just to see the quality and they came in this morning. I’m very happy with them, now I just need to go ahead and order the designs I actually am planning to sell.

I'll take 20.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
If it’s not against the rules, I’ll link my Instagram here when I get everything ready to go.

I played a lot of golf this last year and while there’s a ton of custom headcovers, I could never find cool ballmarkers to use so I figured I’d just make them myself.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That makes me want to go tear apart my parents attic and find my old pog slammers. They’d make pretty good ball markers although some people don’t like ones that large.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Daric posted:

If it’s not against the rules, I’ll link my Instagram here when I get everything ready to go.

I played a lot of golf this last year and while there’s a ton of custom headcovers, I could never find cool ballmarkers to use so I figured I’d just make them myself.

Are you taking requests? When your IG is up and running, and if you are taking custom requests, I'll DM you. That's a kick rear end ball mark.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

We are the same person with the same father more or less lol. Does your dad play the same tees as you? He can squeak in a high 80 round every so often but more often than not is low 90s. We usually play one in from the tips and the only advice I've tried to give my dad is that if he moved up one set of tees he'd have much more enjoyable rounds and probably shoot low 80s more consistently but he refuses to do so, he said when he turns 70 he'll move up one lol.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

We are the same person with the same father more or less lol. Does your dad play the same tees as you? He can squeak in a high 80 round every so often but more often than not is low 90s. We usually play one in from the tips and the only advice I've tried to give my dad is that if he moved up one set of tees he'd have much more enjoyable rounds and probably shoot low 80s more consistently but he refuses to do so, he said when he turns 70 he'll move up one lol.

Have you tried just driving to the next tees and teeing yours up there, without discussion?

My dad was shooting his age (85) until a year ago. He suddenly lost 25% of his distance across all clubs, and has struggled to break 100. Of course, he had a heart attack and discovered major blockages, so there's that. He also has severe macular degeneration in one eye, mild in the other, but having a large blurry spot in the middle of his vision had basically no effect on his game for years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some poor bastard got on the wrong end of a DJ drive

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1357700614181040130

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

Some poor bastard got on the wrong end of a DJ drive

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1357700614181040130

I watched it live and yelled OH SNIPER FIRE! Poor guy got it right on the shoulder.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Douchebag posted:

Are you taking requests? When your IG is up and running, and if you are taking custom requests, I'll DM you. That's a kick rear end ball mark.

The actual theme will be famous villains. Each marker will be the head of some villain (Vader, Jason, Frieza, Venom, etc.) so we'll see if there's a market. I have an instagram already set up but no actual posts yet and I'm working with a designer right now to get the designs nailed down. Unfortunately the manufacturer is shut down for 2 weeks for Chinese New Year so it'll be a minute before I get more products in.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
How about a Dennis Hopper with the nitrous mask on from Blue Velvet

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Daric posted:

The actual theme will be famous villains. Each marker will be the head of some villain (Vader, Jason, Frieza, Venom, etc.) so we'll see if there's a market. I have an instagram already set up but no actual posts yet and I'm working with a designer right now to get the designs nailed down. Unfortunately the manufacturer is shut down for 2 weeks for Chinese New Year so it'll be a minute before I get more products in.

I'm down with that theme!

Also, lets go Stricker, old man giving it a run this week.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 5, 2021

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
lmao Spieth rattles off 4 birdies in 6 holes so PGA Tour Live immediately calls an audible and switches to his group.

He then 3 putts from 12 feet for Bogey on 16.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah, don't do this to me Jordan. Don't give me false hope.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What channel is the Waste Management on? I don't see it on Youtube TV.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kirios posted:

What channel is the Waste Management on? I don't see it on Youtube TV.

It's on PGA Tour Live now and will be on Golf channel at 3.

The PGA still sucks at tv coverage.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

wow Keegan Bradley, where's he been

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Oh my god Jordan Spieth

Anno
May 10, 2017

:siren::siren:

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Who the hell is this Spieth guy leading the tournament?

Anno
May 10, 2017

This is the most fun I’ve had watching golf since Masters 2019. Basically nothing would be better for pro golf than Jordan being back to his prime, so I hope this isn’t a fluke week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Holy cow Spieth