Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Codependent Poster posted:

The tease for the next game had Liara and a dead Reaper.

They really need to pick up after ME3 and use the destroy ending with Shepard alive.

It'll be a melding of all 3 endings, where Shepard takes control of the Reapers but destroys them afterwards, turning Joker's hat green in the process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I was all set to be an idiot and spend money on Mass Effect again but not without the ME3 multiplayer. I easily put more time in that than the entire rest of the series combined. I wonder if there's something in particular holding that back? Surely they know how popular it was.

(It's to sell that on it's own at a premium isn't it)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I was all set to be an idiot and spend money on Mass Effect again but not without the ME3 multiplayer. I easily put more time in that than the entire rest of the series combined. I wonder if there's something in particular holding that back? Surely they know how popular it was.

probably just expensive

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Gnome de plume posted:

It'll be a melding of all 3 endings, where Shepard takes control of the Reapers but destroys them afterwards, turning Joker's hat green in the process

Also the protagonist will end up searching for remnants or recordings of The Shepard, who may or may not join your party or more likely will be killed by the New Super Reapers

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gnome de plume posted:

I'll allow it

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Also the protagonist will end up searching for remnants or recordings of The Shepard, who may or may not join your party or more likely will be killed by the New Super Reapers

Control!Shepard as the token robot teammate would be pretty funny, tbh.

Bonus points if it's Femshep only.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

I wish they had all the guns from ME3 available in ME2/1. The gun variety in that game ruled

but only if they go back to the me2 mattock and make it sound the same. the one in me3 was anemic.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Codependent Poster posted:

The tease for the next game had Liara and a dead Reaper.

They really need to pick up after ME3 and use the destroy ending with Shepard alive.

i swore i read somewhere years ago that at least internally, bioware had made destroy the canon ending

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

upgunned shitpost posted:

but only if they go back to the me2 mattock and make it sound the same. the one in me3 was anemic.

I feel like a lot of that had to do with the sound balance in ME3 being incredibly strange, as they specifically brought on DICE to do foley work for the guns in ME3. Hopefully they'll take another look at it for the remaster.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lightningproof posted:

I understand why they didn’t go further (and I suspect a great deal of it is prob down to EA giving them very finite resources), but I am already disappointed by how conservative their approach appears to have been to this.

Like I said tho: I will still buy it, because I am a moron.

I dunno, this doesn't seem hugely conservative:

quote:

Environment and level designer Kevin Meek took the conversation deeper, talking about the process of overpainting (which is where the remaster changes can be seen in the landscapes) and how the team wanted all involved to feel proud of their contributions. To understand the process means to understand how the modding community played a role, no matter how seemingly small: "In order to understand the conversation with modders, you have to understand the pipeline that we initially had to go through. So how we divided out the work largely, for the environment art passes, was to basically give our artists a sense of ownership over a level, especially with the paint overs seen in Mass Effect 1. We didn't want to just hand them a collection of assets like random crates and rocks or whatever and then tell them to just make them look pretty and then just mindlessly report back to me. I wanted them to feel like the level they were working on was their level."

He added, "Myself and Derek Watts, who was the original art director on the trilogy, would review each level and we would provide feedback to figure out where do things still need to go. Then the artists would do a second pass and eventually, the levels would reach where we wanted them to be. In order to do that, we had to basically 'timebox' it like 'How good can you make this level within a certain amount of time, within days or weeks?'"

https://www.gameinformer.com/mod-corner/2021/02/04/what-mass-effect-legendary-edition-means-for-current-pc-mods-and-their-role

Rinkles posted:

probably just expensive

I'm pretty sure the Gamespot interview outright said it'd roughly take the same amount of effort and time to include the ME3 multi as the ME1 uplift is currently taking up. Not feasible in the overall scope of the project.

fake edit: Here's a Shepard comparison

https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/1357448608514256897?s=20

actual edit: yay they're (possibly, maybe) fixing that guy from the nuke disarm mission

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357403320705404928?s=20

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Bloody Pom posted:

I feel like a lot of that had to do with the sound balance in ME3 being incredibly strange, as they specifically brought on DICE to do foley work for the guns in ME3. Hopefully they'll take another look at it for the remaster.

they made the gun, muzzle flash and projectiles smaller while increasing the rate of fire too, but the sound stands out so much it deserved a special mention. went from chonky space garand to just the ping.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Just remember that the last two things current BioWare did was andromeda and anthem.

I will not believe anything about this until it’s out and not a pile of garbage.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I mean, the worst that this will be is just ugly. I guess they might massively gently caress up the gameplay tweaks of ME1, but I don't think they are really changing much other than that and the visuals.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Saren needs a pre-assimilation model.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Lt. Danger posted:

the ME3 OC ending was just the Final Fantasy 7 ending for millenials

It was Deus Ex. Very end area, presented with three things to do to get an ending. Destroy, merge and control are the three Deus Ex endings. Only the Deus Ex endings made sense and completely fitted the game they were in.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Which is odd, the ME2 devs specifically tried to justify butt shots in ME2 nearly a decade ago

quote:

“The fact is, some characters are defined by their attractiveness, such as a woman who is genetically engineered to be perfect,” Silverman explained. “Camera angles help tell the story and portray key aspects of each character – in Miranda’s case, her curves and sexuality. We had similar shots of Jacob.”

https://www.vg247.com/2011/07/19/loving-femshep-biowares-first-lady-finally-steps-forward/

As long as Jacob's rear end is still visible I'm good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

je1 healthcare posted:

As long as Jacob's rear end is still visible I'm good.

The priiiiiiiiize

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

kilus aof posted:

It was Deus Ex. Very end area, presented with three things to do to get an ending. Destroy, merge and control are the three Deus Ex endings. Only the Deus Ex endings made sense and completely fitted the game they were in.

Doing those endings was also quite a bit more involved than "walk in 1 of 3 directions".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

The priiiiiiiiize

It's been so long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ze_R3TevE

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

je1 healthcare posted:

Which is odd, the ME2 devs specifically tried to justify butt shots in ME2 nearly a decade ago

je1 healthcare posted:

nearly a decade ago

Times change. :shrug:

Meanwhile, it looks like we'll still be able to use ME1-2 default FemShep if we want to.

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357461915161698304?s=20

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Cross-Section posted:

I'm pretty sure the Gamespot interview outright said it'd roughly take the same amount of effort and time to include the ME3 multi as the ME1 uplift is currently taking up. Not feasible in the overall scope of the project.

I guess that tracks. By the time the multiplayer team had finished adding characters, weapons, maps and enemy factions and all manner of wacky rule-of-fun stuff, for free, it was easily another whole game's worth of content. I don't know how they'd do it but I and several friends would absolutely purchase a rerelease of that mode.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I guess that tracks. By the time the multiplayer team had finished adding characters, weapons, maps and enemy factions and all manner of wacky rule-of-fun stuff, for free, it was easily another whole game's worth of content. I don't know how they'd do it but I and several friends would absolutely purchase a rerelease of that mode.

Yeah by the end they were like, do you wanna play as EDI? What about Zaeed? Nyreen? A geth juggernaut? gently caress it go nuts

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
The PC version of 3 still has a pretty active playerbase I think for multi?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah by the end they were like, do you wanna play as EDI? What about Zaeed? Nyreen? A geth juggernaut? gently caress it go nuts

:stare: i clearly stopped playing ME3 multiplayer too soon

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Since were sharing Mass Effect vids, anyone remember this classic?

https://youtu.be/WvbmKWMhjb0

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
My fave mass effect video is Mass Effect Club Movie but I won’t link it because it features a lot of extremely good sex scenes and butt stuff. Please tell me I’m not the only one who finds this video hilarious.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Cross-Section posted:

Times change. :shrug:

Meanwhile, it looks like we'll still be able to use ME1-2 default FemShep if we want to.

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357461915161698304?s=20

Oh good, I preferred the ME1-2 version of Femshep that didn't have makeup and manicured eyebrows. I wonder if it'll be easier to use the OG version in ME3 or if I have to make it again

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sally posted:

:stare: i clearly stopped playing ME3 multiplayer too soon

Lol, they straight up add the "Biotic God" joke character in a the Volus Adept. At the end the only design mythos seemed to be "gently caress it, whatever, go nuts".

Like the Volus characters were too short to actually use cover and just hanged out behind the waist high barriers. When they died they would roly-poly down any incline and didn't even really have melee attacks.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

People who think Mass Effect sex scenes are the worst, while they are indeed atrocious, have nothing on Dragon Age Origins.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

they probably want to monetize that separately but it's more likely that re-doing the multiplayer would require some real effort (and it's ea we're talking about so....)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BexGu posted:

At the end the only design mythos seemed to be "gently caress it, whatever, go nuts".
I think the climax of this was playable Collectors, with the conceit being that the Leviathans' orbs short-circuited their Indoctrination and restored their minds, resulting in a legion of pissed off cyborg Protheans.

Which really, really should've been a thing in ME3 proper because holy poo poo that owns.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

upgunned shitpost posted:

they did this same poo poo to the revenant in Andromeda and it sucked

from a loving avalanche of bullets to plinkplinkplink

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I expect they intend to relaunch multiplayer as part of whatever the next sequel is. The remaster doesn't need it to make its money - nostalgia will largely take care of that. But even ME fans will likely be wary of whatever new game Bioware puts out, so why not save a well-regarded feature as an extra enticement?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pattonesque posted:

they did this same poo poo to the revenant in Andromeda and it sucked

from a loving avalanche of bullets to plinkplinkplink

The only thing I could thing of was that those were dlc weapons in ME2 and they made then intentionally weaker in ME3 to balance them as "normal" weapons or whatever. But it sucked and even if you were going to tweak them for balance it didn't make any sense to make them sound weaker.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Revenant in ME2 was a supergun exclusive to the Soldier class and only available after getting to the collector ship, so it was kind of an intentional class specific power boost. Like giving a Holy Avenger to a paladin. When they removed the class restriction, I guess they felt they had to balance it against everything else. I wish they could have just made it heavy as the sun and still overpowered as gently caress.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Revenant in ME2 was a supergun exclusive to the Soldier class and only available after getting to the collector ship, so it was kind of an intentional class specific power boost. Like giving a Holy Avenger to a paladin. When they removed the class restriction, I guess they felt they had to balance it against everything else. I wish they could have just made it heavy as the sun and still overpowered as gently caress.

this would have been the move, they did that with the Saber (best sound design in the game) and it ruled

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Discovered that Mass Effect Andromeda is available with Game Pass. I downloaded it but I have not started it. I was thinking I'd see how it stands for myself after all this time, but I was amused to see my nine year old started it up and put it down almost immediately.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for making this thread op. I love mass effect and I definitely agree that 1 is the best one, not even close for me. I'm posting to bookmark the thread but I'll surely think of some things to gush/complain about in the coming days. Peace

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ME2 had so much dumb fan stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9-dLzzQuVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ShakeZula posted:

I expect they intend to relaunch multiplayer as part of whatever the next sequel is. The remaster doesn't need it to make its money - nostalgia will largely take care of that. But even ME fans will likely be wary of whatever new game Bioware puts out, so why not save a well-regarded feature as an extra enticement?

Well they need to make sure they state that it’s more like Mass Effect 3 multiplayer because Andromeda had multiplayer as well and nobody talks about it. Why? Because it was awful garbage.

They jacked up the stats of all the enemies so encounters took forever so that you would be incentivized to buy loot boxes for better gear. All it did was make it a gigantic slog of “no thanks. This sucks” and I peaced out after a day or two of trying the multiplayer.

Andromeda sucked so much.