Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

President Beep posted:

why does the ground in texas gently caress up basements?

Growing up in north Texas nobody had basements, and my understanding was that high clay content in the ground pushes things past the point of being worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

Growing up in north Texas nobody had basements, and my understanding was that high clay content in the ground pushes things past the point of being worth it.

My foundation is all sandstone in a high flood environment and I've got a french drain system + tarred canvas walls. The system in my basement cost around $12K in 1993.

They're just cheap.

When you live in an area where land is inexpensive and readily available, it's easier to knock your old hovel down and move than it is to maintain your home.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I sincerely miss boiler + radiator systems

I've only lived in two places with forced air systems in my life and they've both made me miserable as poo poo

I had a boiler system in Toronto and one year into my tenancy they replaced our windows with more efficient ones and after that the radiators made it so hot we had to keep the windows open all winter, lol.

They couldn't turn down the boiler because it served the entire building so south side was too hot and north side was too cold. Original designers hosed up and should have installed two boilers imo.

That was a nice place otherwise because it still had a really good cooling system so the apartments were perfectly nice in the summer when the heat and humidity hit "old people literally dying wtf" levels.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Slippery Tilde
"you can't just call everything an air conditioner!!!"

*points to thermostat* air conditioner

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My foundation is all sandstone in a high flood environment and I've got a french drain system + tarred canvas walls. The system in my basement cost around $12K in 1993.

They're just cheap.

When you live in an area where land is inexpensive and readily available, it's easier to knock your old hovel down and move than it is to maintain your home.

Was curious and looked it up and ya, it’s a bIt more expensive in Texas but it’s mostly because land is cheap as poo poo and nobody wants to pay for underground space when there’s already plenty.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/curious-texas/2018/11/16/why-don-t-dallas-area-homes-have-basements-curious-texas-investigates/

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I fuckin’ love my bigass basement. Clearing out the woodshop to redo the walls finally and my new home brew stuff starts showing up tomorrow to go in the cellar.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

why does the ground in texas gently caress up basements?

lots of reasons.

the frost line is one. it’s like a foot down so you don’t have to bury pipes 10 feet underground to avoid freezing, which reduces cost.

but other places with similar weather do have basements.

texas also has clay soil in the eastern half of the state that used to be under the gulf of mexico.

clay can expand by like 20-30% when it is wet and then contract back again. you can cart in some non clay stuff and put a slab on top of it, but that expansion and contraction tends to crack basement walls and moisture barriers. it can be done but it’s expensive. office buildings usually have underground areas and underground parking is pretty common, but for a single family home not really.

a lot of the state is near sea level and has high water tables too. like 10-12 feet down near houston, and those come up when it rains and flood your already crushed basement.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Incorrect, the purpose of an air conditioner is the make the air cold. How it's delivered is irrelevant.

The delivery system is the same whether you're heating or cooling the air, the delivery system is independent and should be treated as such.

actually everything in the outside unit is really hot. it’s only the expansion device and the evaporator coil, both inside your house, near the blower, that make the air cool.

you don’t send any air to the outside half of the system, it can’t cool air on its own.

you don’t have cold air without both halves of the system.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yospos coronavirus hvac day crew

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i watched some hvac videos on youtube and as far as i can tell it's like 70% being a janitor, 20% a sparky and only 10% actually involving refrigerant

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i had to learn about all this poo poo when replacing the compressor on my car ac and re charging it.

your expansion device for a home ac is usually a thermal expansion valve, which uses weird fluid filled temperature sensing bulbs and diaphragms and springs for feedback from the temperature on the output of your evaporator coil, so it is usually inside the attic or basement with your blower and evaporator coil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSLOHCOw3yg

only after passing through the expansion valve and seeing that pressure drop does any of the refrigerant get cold. it’s hot coming out of the compressor and still pretty hot (but now a liquid) coming out of the condensor. it’s still pretty cool going back into the compressor, which compresses it and heats it right back up.

Apr 7, 2003

While you were all arguing about this I hosed up a hair trim and just cut all my hair off. Good times

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

lol toris got a shaved butt now

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

decent amount of grey, could be greyer. 4/5

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I've shaved my rear end and seen a bigger pile of hair

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
shamefully small pile for twelve months growth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Slippery Tilde
my dumbass curly hair is just all split ends now so i look like dr emmett brown (the 1955 version when he's not completely grey and isn't balding yet)

also doc brown is fat in this timeline

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

you're not wrong tori

reported for telling porkies

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

also evaporative air conditioners don't even have a compressor/condenser so i guess i'm wrong but i'm talking about refrigerant based ac

you mean swamp coolers? they're not air-conditioners.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

lol toris got a shaved butt now

There's an epigram by Martialis where the gist of it is: "we know you have your junk hair plucked for the ladies, as you say. but tell me, for who do you have your arse hair plucked? huh? HUH!?!?" because they considered dudes who took things in their bum unmanly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yes, at that time the distinction was penetrator/penetrated. if you put your dick in things you were manly, no matter what those things were, while if you let things be put in you that was feminine, no matter what people or objects were involved.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

yes, at that time the distinction was penetrator/penetrated. if you put your dick in things you were manly, no matter what those things were, while if you let things be put in you that was feminine, no matter what people or objects were involved.

which one were you back then?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I poured some vinegar in the egg-cooker to clean it. I was supposed to let it sit for ½ an hour, but of course I fell asleep and it was 12 hours. Well let me tell you it's very clean now, but also whatever surfacing was on the water pan is mostly gone.

Then again it being bare metal shouldn't make any difference, should it? I mean the one I have at home doesn't even have any coating, just bare stainless steel. (I think this one might be aluminium.)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

3D Megadoodoo posted:

they are also known as evaporative air conditioners

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i had to learn about all this poo poo when replacing the compressor on my car ac and re charging it.

your expansion device for a home ac is usually a thermal expansion valve, which uses weird fluid filled temperature sensing bulbs and diaphragms and springs for feedback from the temperature on the output of your evaporator coil, so it is usually inside the attic or basement with your blower and evaporator coil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSLOHCOw3yg

only after passing through the expansion valve and seeing that pressure drop does any of the refrigerant get cold. it’s hot coming out of the compressor and still pretty hot (but now a liquid) coming out of the condensor. it’s still pretty cool going back into the compressor, which compresses it and heats it right back up.

vapor compression refrigeration is really neat

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

they are also known as evaporative air conditioners

Yes I know marketing exists. You can call them evaporative coolers if you wish.

e: Of course they don't cool jack poo poo if the air is already humid, unlike air conditioners.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 5, 2021

Apr 7, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

I've shaved my rear end and seen a bigger pile of hair

This isn’t a bragging point

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yospos wfh day crew: byob (be your own barber)

Apr 7, 2003

I'm sure as gently caress not going anywhere to get my hair cut when 3-4K people a day are dying from the plague

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i got one haircut during covid at a barber shop when our numbers were almost zero here and it was the worst cut i got in years. i'll stick to shaving it off every few months.

Apr 7, 2003

My wife scheduled a haircut for late March, she's had three haircuts at the same salon in the past year and she trusts the place but the idea of getting my hair cut right now by other people makes me cringe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i shave my head so pandemic hasn't changed my haircut at all

i even trimmed my beard once in like august (and will again when it starts warming up), but it pretty much gets as long as it's going to get after a few months

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I wish I could post all the salacious details of this layoff situation at my job, because it's hilarious in a gallows humor sort of way, but it will have to wait until I'm able to get out of this place.

I will say they seem to be caught extremely flat footed with the negative press they are getting. Apparently the announcement your laying off a chunk of your workforce to out source, during a pandemic, while you're making record profits doesn't go over well.

Who knew?

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
https://twitter.com/notbenmarshall/...3widget%3DTweet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Slippery Tilde

I'm sure as gently caress not going anywhere to get my hair cut when 3-4K people a day are dying from the plague

hoverwife just got her first haircut in a year because she got her second shot and scheduled it accordingly

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I got a hair cut a few weeks ago after not getting for a year. It was good because I was starting to look like a brown beardless young charles manson.

Apr 7, 2003

7550 dead people in the last two days from Coronavirus

and no one cares anymore lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

3D Megadoodoo posted:

there are also rv refrigerator systems that use a propane flame instead of a compressor like a normal fridge in your house. it uses absorption refrigeration that also uses evaporative cooling by mixing ammonia refrigerant with water inside the closed system to make the correct partial pressures. you use a propane flame to boil the water/ammonia mixture instead of a compressor.:

the evaporator is where you get the cold air, and then the absorber and that gravity driven liquid ammonia separator at the top left of the diagram do basically the same thing as the expansion device, they divide high pressure in the condenser from low pressure in the evaporator.

i don’t think anyone scales that up to an air conditioner tho.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
ingot two haircuts during the pandemic but they were done in a chair outside by my mom (who is a licensed barber who owned a salon but is now retired) so my hair is still beautiful and long and pretty like a pony but does not have split ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

if you're going to split hairs like that its a furnace with an air handler fan backing it unless your system somehow runs on natural convection