Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LorneReams posted:

I have that exact trash can...who doesn't fold the bag INTO the can. It looks so bad with it hanging out.

The type of people with a trash can in their living room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002
I want a 55” OLED, which will replace my budget Samsung plasma from ~2015 as the only TV in our home. Use case is entirely TV and movie viewing, via all major streaming services via an Amazon Fire TV currently (and sports and local stuff via antenna). No video gaming, except maybe an old Wii.

I’m leaning toward the CX. However, I know I won’t be taking advantage of many of its features like VRR, which makes me wonder if the Vizio H1 or even the BX is a better fit. With pre Super Bowl sales the price difference is about $350 and I’m price-conscious, but I can afford the CX. I generally keep tech things for a long time, so I want to make the right choice. Please advise!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm starting to look at TV stands for my 65'' LG CX, should I ask about that more in the AV setup thread? I'm mostly curious right now about TV height, because when I google it I get wildly different answers about how high a TV is "supposed" to be. I'm looking at this Walker Edison one and it seems to fit what I'm looking for, but it feels so hard to research TV stands so I don't wanna get something stupid.

Between the height of that stand, the TV, and I think like a 1.5'' extra shelf for the TV so my soundbar doesn't block it at all, that would put the center of the TV at 42.8 inches off the floor. I guess that seems... reasonable? I guess I might also have to consider issues of ventilation for consoles if I put them on the shelves, but I bet I could remove those back panels if I had to. Might be able to fit a PS5 and Series S on the sides of the TV if I had to but seems a little dicey.

Martman fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 5, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Remodeling the living room of a house I just bought and I'm looking to buy my first new TV in about 15 years. Initially I thought 55" was the best I could do but apparently TV bezels aren't 2" wide anymore so now I'm in the market for a 65". I'd like to spend $1500 but have flexability, don't think I want OLED (burn in is still a concern right? and what's the longevity on them vs LED?), don't care about compatibility with gaming systems. Worried about viewing angle and glare. Been thinking about the Sony X950H but I'm not seeing a lot of discussion about it in this thread, is there another model preferred over this?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Burn in still exists yes but the technology to mitigate it is so far along now that under remotely normal viewing conditions most people will be in the market for a new TV before the OLED shows signs of burn in. If you're keeping it for another 15 years though yes you will start seeing burn in.

However in terms of viewing angles OLEDs are the best bar none, on top of general picture quality also blowing everything else out of the water. They also have excellent anti-glare coating. If I had $1500 for a new TV I'd be getting the biggest OLED I could find. You can probably find good deals on the BX at the moment because the new line is coming out atm.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there a breakdown of what models or series to avoid? I'm not so poor anymore that I need to buy budget models but cannot justify $3K on a TV.

I'm replacing a 50" Vizio M50-C1 that's about six years old. I can't get any new apps on it (old platform) and I moved to a place that can handle a 65 with ease.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Inzombiac posted:

Is there a breakdown of what models or series to avoid? I'm not so poor anymore that I need to buy budget models but cannot justify $3K on a TV.

I'm replacing a 50" Vizio M50-C1 that's about six years old. I can't get any new apps on it (old platform) and I moved to a place that can handle a 65 with ease.

TCL 6 series.
Hisense 9 series
Vizio 65" OLED
LG 65" CX/C1

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BonoMan posted:

TCL 6 series.
Hisense 9 series
Vizio 65" OLED
LG 65" CX/C1

Sorry, are you saying I should avoid these?
The Vizio OLED is just in my range and will pull the trigger unless I'm missing something.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Inzombiac posted:

The Vizio OLED is just in my range and will pull the trigger unless I'm missing something.

No sorry those are the top recommends.

The Vizio OLED isn't always recommended as I think the LG OLED is better. But there are some good Vizio OLED deals out there on it. You'll enjoy it!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Inzombiac posted:

Those are all the sets the thread regularly recommends, so you're good with the Vizio

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Awesome, thanks! Not being "rice and beans for every meal" poor anymore has really hosed with my sense of money. I deserve a treat, haha.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I wonder if they are actually as good in OLED in other respects besides pure black.

yes, but the reason you have to get them so big is that they are a ~p0.9 commercial LED video wall but with the scaler and processor integrated, so minimum view distance to not see pixels is going to be at ~10 feet. They can get much brighter so HDR is going to be much better than an OLED. The right use case right now is instead of a projector in a movie space where you have fixed seating at the right distance, or else youll get screen door effect like an old LCD projector.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Inzombiac posted:

Awesome, thanks! Not being "rice and beans for every meal" poor anymore has really hosed with my sense of money. I deserve a treat, haha.

You're gonna love it!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I'm in the market for 40"ish 4KTV and the only think I care about is the best picture quality for video games I can get for $250-375ish. I care about nothing except making the PS4pro I'm buying look as good as it can. I like to sit relatively close to the TV so bigger isn't better, I just want the best possible picture quality for games like Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, The Last of Us 2, and that game with the dickheads that I can get for that budget.

LorneReams posted:

I miss the sound of degaussing those Sonys. I can hear it now.

I miss the degaussing threads.

CLICKkzzzz vvvvzzzzz C

Number_6 posted:

I helped a friend move a 36" tube XBR Sony, and lift it up into his entertainment center armoire thing. 236 pounds. It's been 12 years or so since then and my back is still hosed up.

In a bedroom I still have a 27" Sony V-series, and it's not drat far from 100 pounds.

OTOH, it's my firm belief that heavy poo poo works longer.

I doubt there is a longer-lasting TV than those CRT Sonys. They become pieces of furniture in a lot of houses, gathering items on top of them until they've been tables longer than they were TVs

I actually have a nice story about a good TV. I was on my way to meet some friends to grab a beer and play some pool, and a few blocks away I see 3 hispanic guys lugging this huge TV down their porch steps towards the garbage pile. As I get a bit closer I see it's one of those really sought after ones, the 34" Wega Trinitron widescreens.

After they've gotten it down the stairs I go up to them and talk to them to see what's up, telling them "I used to have a TV like that and loved it, and they're still pretty popular and is it broken?" and one of them replies with broken English something like "No we get new TV while ago, just time for this one to go and the thin ones are so cheap nobody would want this". (The language barrier made that a lot harder to decipher, I just don't want to try typing like.. too insultingly.)

So I try again to explain that TV is worth a lot of money to certain people but what I'm saying is not really translating well to them either. In a last-ditch effort I pull up eBay and show him TVs like the one he's throwing away but he seemed to think that like a total idiot, I was just showing him how much they used to cost. He says "Ah si I payed less for new TV" and as I'm trying to figure out how to help this guy, his son comes out to see what's going on.

"Hey man, you see that TV out with the garbage?" and he says yea we just got a new one and nobody wants old TVs like that. So thankfully his son can translate now and I tell them "No man, there are a lot of people that collect old video games and that TV is like, the best TV for that, they'll pay a lot of money for one that works" and show him what I'm talking about and he explains to his dad what I just said.

I told them my friend does a lot of online trading stuff with older games and the like, why don't we bring the TV back up inside, take some pictures of it working and show it's in good condition, and we'll list it and sell it for you.

And a couple weeks later I dropped off their $800 in cash from something that would have been tossed away and ruined otherwise and I think that's pretty neat.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tumble posted:

I doubt there is a longer-lasting TV than those CRT Sonys. They become pieces of furniture in a lot of houses, gathering items on top of them until they've been tables longer than they were TVs

I actually have a nice story about a good TV. I was on my way to meet some friends to grab a beer and play some pool, and a few blocks away I see 3 hispanic guys lugging this huge TV down their porch steps towards the garbage pile. As I get a bit closer I see it's one of those really sought after ones, the 34" Wega Trinitron widescreens.

Those things were loving beasts. A friend of mine had the 32" with the matching corner stand, and we would use the included widescreen progressive scan mode for long sessions of Virtua Fighter 4: Evo on PS2 with Component cables. Good times.

Roll ahead to ~2010, and people were literally giving them away on Kijiji (Craigslist equiv.), pickup only.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

kuddles posted:

They did nothing of the sort.

Lol, no. Developers push for things being prettier as the generation goes on and the negative response to the first gameplay video for Halo Infinite pretty much confirmed for them that most gamers are not willing to take the graphical sacrifice required to get 4k@120 working. If the past is anything to go by, by the time this generation is over, the vast majority of releases on PS5 will be upscaled 1440p struggling to hit a stable 60.

That Halo trailer really hurt Microsoft. They're touting a graphical powerhouse, with Halo playing on an engine capable of all this new amazing stuff and.... it looked like something an Xbone could run no problem. I really have no ides what they thought was impressive about what they were showing off. Didn't they end up firing some people because of that or something?

Although honestly beyond the Halo talk, I really kinda hope RTX is where game technology starts to branch off beyond graphics and go towards the physics and materials side of stuff, like making a wood door and a metal door different in more than just textures and light reflection, and into stuff like denting and breaking dynamically.

I wish instead of developers mostly pushing for prettier things they'd push for more advanced physics to start being developed. Having wood and metal break apart and deform realistically will make a shootout inside a grocery store much more interesting because things are getting shredded to hell and back, not because the shiny floor tiles happen to be accurately reflecting a sign advertising 5.99/lb strip steaks in real time.

Mister Facetious posted:

Those things were loving beasts. A friend of mine had the 32" with the matching corner stand, and we would use the included widescreen progressive scan mode for long sessions of Virtua Fighter 4: Evo on PS2 with Component cables. Good times.

Roll ahead to ~2010, and people were literally giving them away on Kijiji (Craigslist equiv.), pickup only.

They looked good too. My friend had one -- well it was more that the apartment had one since whoever bought it didn't take it with them -- and we had his 360 hooked up to it and games looked better on it than most of the 40" flatscreens at the time. CoD:MW and Halo especially.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 8, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tumble posted:

They looked good too. My friend had one -- well it was more that the apartment had one since whoever bought it didn't take it with them -- and we had his 360 hooked up to it and games looked better on it than most of the 40" flatscreens at the time. CoD:MW and Halo especially.

The 360 having an optional VGA cable was the best poo poo. I was using a 65lb. Viewsonic 22" for gaming until ~2011/12 when I switched to a 24", 1080p Asus monitor (currently sitting neglected in the closet).

Damned good TVs, those Sonys. Like John Linneman on Digital Foundry, I highly recommend them to anyone looking to set up/dust off a classic games collection.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 8, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tumble posted:

Although honestly beyond the Halo talk, I really kinda hope RTX is where game technology starts to branch off beyond graphics and go towards the physics and materials side of stuff, like making a wood door and a metal door different in more than just textures and light reflection, and into stuff like denting and breaking dynamically.
I really hope that RTX stuff is developed into better lighting engines as well as all the physics stuff you mentioned.

There's a lot that could be done with crafting setpieces with good lighting setups.

I also think better haptics would help sell better physics. The PS5 Astro Bot game really shows how sound and physical feedback help differentiate surfaces.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm in the market for 40"ish 4KTV and the only think I care about is the best picture quality for video games I can get for $250-375ish. I care about nothing except making the PS4pro I'm buying look as good as it can. I like to sit relatively close to the TV so bigger isn't better, I just want the best possible picture quality for games like Uncharted 4, Spider-Man, The Last of Us 2, and that game with the dickheads that I can get for that budget.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TCL 4 43", $260.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Unfortunately, minimum buy in for both functional HDR and wide color gamut is about $600 at 55" (or $1000 at 48").

There are a few tvs in the 43" range that have wide color gamut with HDR in name only, but they are in the $500 range.

Maybe the Hisense 43R6090G would be an ok choice, but it has neither good HDR or wide color gamut.

Most of what's in that size and price range is functionality the same and lack the nice features for to make the console games look good.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My first TV with my own money was a 32" toshiba I bought off my aunt who had gotten a new entertainment unit and the TV wouldn't fit. S video, components and all. My brother was buying a 40" LG Plasma not long after t hat didn't last.

My parents had a floor model that was given to them (we're not poor) until 2013 when I bought them a flat screen. Thing would turn on and off on its own, we had mice hoarding poo poo in the speaker cutouts on the back. Now I got a decent 65" here and I keep wishing it was bigger and I'm only sitting 8-9 feet away.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
the way they price these TVs it's like they're mocking you for even considering less that 50"s like some dude is gonna look in my window and laugh at me and call people over "yo look at this broke simpleton watch him move the mouse away from the 50" option!" or like some old lady is going to come in and tell me the church took up a collection plate so i don't have to have a bitch tv because its only like five more dollars and even jesus woulda paid that

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That’s all exactly right.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What in the holy hell is this
https://www.costco.ca/.product.100688442.html?&EMID=CA_EN_2021_0208_1554_COSTCOCA

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

It's just a 4K short throw laser projector. It comes with a screen instead of buying it separately.

For some reason they just call it a Laser TV instead of mentioning projector anywhere.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

God drat, didn't realize the TCL6 had VRR. With the cost decrease as well, I might choose that over a 900/950H once I warranty my 850E.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
So I've been saving up, working overtime and trying to build a decent gaming / movie system over the last 6 months or so. I've just about got everything together:

LG B8 55" (this was the first thing I bought, around a year ago)
Sonos Arc, x2 Sonos One surrounds, Sonos Sub
PS5

Turns out that there's a pretty big problem with this setup - a very noticeable audio delay when running the PS5, unless using 2 channel linear PCM. So this means no surround for gaming or Blu Rays (I use the built in streaming services on the TV for streaming, which uses the sound system correctly).

Obviously this is beyond disappointing after spending a lot of time and money, so I did quite a lot of investigating into the issue - it turns out that the main culprit is the LG B8 itself, as it adds a delay when trying to process Dolby Digital or DTS from an external source. I've contacted LG and the shop I purchased the set from, and they basically said there was nothing the can do as the TV does what it says it should do.

I'm not sure how to proceed from here - as far as I can tell my only option is to sell the B8 and get a set with an eARC port. This would then hopefully let me use Linear PCM from the PS5 but using all 5.1 channels instead of just 2 channels.

I feel pretty dumb and unhappy after spending all this time and money, I understand its not the newest OLED but I expected it to at least work.

If I were to sell the set and get a CX, would I definitely be able to run 5.1 Linear PCM from the PS5 through to the soundbar?

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
That seems like an absolutely insane problem, did they expect nobody would use their TV to play games with surround sound?

Apart from figuring out how to use your Sonos with an A/V receiver I don't know if a solution has been found for it that model of TV unfortunately.

Edit - I was going to mention how I helped solve a similar issue a while ago but I'm going to link a thread with people talk specifically about your exact issue instead because my story would most likely be less relevant than what you'll get here https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/if-you-re-experiencing-audio-delay-issues-read-this-6793458/index2.html

Tumble fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 10, 2021

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Tumble posted:

That seems like an absolutely insane problem, did they expect nobody would use their TV to play games with surround sound?

Apart from figuring out how to use your Sonos with an A/V receiver I don't know if a solution has been found for it that model of TV unfortunately.

I guess not! I was told I should have gotten a set with eARC, but I mean I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that at the time.

Oh yeah just found out that Sonos (and I think all new models of LG OLED) don't support DTS. So unless I buy a new Blu Ray player that can convert DTS into Dolby Digital, even with a new TV I still won't be able to watch Blu Rays with surround, as most Blu Rays appear to have 5.1 and 7.1 in DTS.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

HampHamp posted:

I guess not! I was told I should have gotten a set with eARC, but I mean I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that at the time.

Oh yeah just found out that Sonos (and I think all new models of LG OLED) don't support DTS. So unless I buy a new Blu Ray player that can convert DTS into Dolby Digital, even with a new TV I still won't be able to watch Blu Rays with surround, as most Blu Rays appear to have 5.1 and 7.1 in DTS.

Yea check up above, I edited my post. That's the kind of issue getting overlooked that would make me strongly reconsider a brand for a while.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Tumble posted:

Yea check up above, I edited my post. That's the kind of issue getting overlooked that would make me strongly reconsider a brand for a while.

Thanks for the link - that was one of the threads I discovered when trying to figure out what was going on.

The issue has been apparent for at least 3 years, and still nothing is being done. And I can't even get confirmation that selling a year old television (not something I'm excited about during a pandemic) and spending a lot more money to get a new one would even fix the issue.

I honestly think I should be able to get a refund or exchange due to this, there was no indication when buying the set that it would introduce audio delay which makes my other equipment unusable. But LG and the store I bought from seem to think otherwise.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ARC sucks, it pretty much always has. Maybe eARC really does improve upon it, but I have my doubts.

Only way to really ensure a/v sync with external audio sources it to run them through an AVR where you have control over the delay value.

FWIW my C6 is the exact opposite problem to my denon over ARC (and SPDIF as well). PCM audio is delayed from the picture (meaning no amount of additional delay is going to fix it) while DD audio is in sync fine.

ARC also can't do lossless audio either, so relying on it to get audio from external sources to your sound system was always a compromise.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 10, 2021

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's funny, I have a super weird audio setup (Logitech Z5500 as speaker system via TOSLINK, hacked onto Sanus speaker stands) and have no latency issues at all.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

bull3964 posted:

ARC also can't do lossless audio either, so relying on it to get audio from external sources to your sound system was always a compromise.

Yep that was a compromise I was willing to make - I move around a lot for work, and flats / houses here in the UK are typically quite small so I thought a brand new, top of the line soundbar with surrounds would be a decent compromise. A dedicated AVR would always be best but my circumstances dictated things really.

But that compromise didn't involve surround sound being literally unusable, which is my issue with all this.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not elegant, but the Sonos Arc appears to have an optical port.

https://www.amazon.com/eSynic-Switc...12916476&sr=8-3

Bypass the TV and go directly from the sources into the soundbar.

Actually, if the only external source you have is the PS5, you wouldn't even need the switch.

Edit:

Oh, I see, not optical out on the PS5.

Then get this

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digit...ps%2C140&sr=8-3

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 10, 2021

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

HampHamp posted:

Thanks for the link - that was one of the threads I discovered when trying to figure out what was going on.

The issue has been apparent for at least 3 years, and still nothing is being done. And I can't even get confirmation that selling a year old television (not something I'm excited about during a pandemic) and spending a lot more money to get a new one would even fix the issue.

I honestly think I should be able to get a refund or exchange due to this, there was no indication when buying the set that it would introduce audio delay which makes my other equipment unusable. But LG and the store I bought from seem to think otherwise.

Yea that post in particular was close to what I was going to say; many years ago I solved a similar problem with an HDMI splitter... but I wasn't dealing with a Sonos which is it's own thing -- ironically something that's supposed to simplify things though. That post mentions using an audio extractor and the optical port so that could be an option - edit yea as posted above.

When I first read your post I had an unfortunate feeling that it was either going to be a simple setting which you'd probably have found on Google already, or it was going to be lovely -- delaying audio isn't a problem but having to delay video is never simple.

I think you should be able to get a refund too, it's outrageous that a TV wouldn't work with some of the most common devices out there, and it's crazy that with the ability to actually update devices these days LG wouldn't think "You know, people might use these things with Sonos because they sell at least like... probably at least a hundred of them a week"

The good news is at least there will be stimulus money coming out soon so selling a TV won't be an impossibility.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 10, 2021

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's funny, I have a super weird audio setup (Logitech Z5500 as speaker system via TOSLINK, hacked onto Sanus speaker stands) and have no latency issues at all.

:hfive:

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's not elegant, but the Sonos Arc appears to have an optical port.

https://www.amazon.com/eSynic-Switc...12916476&sr=8-3

Bypass the TV and go directly from the sources into the soundbar.

Actually, if the only external source you have is the PS5, you wouldn't even need the switch.

Edit:

Oh, I see, not optical out on the PS5.

Then get this

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digit...ps%2C140&sr=8-3

I use the TV built in apps for streaming, wouldn't this mean that I'd have to change all the leads around when I wanted to go from the PS5 to the television? Also it only seems to support HDMI 2.0 and I think I'd need 2.1 for things like 4k 120hz and VRR eventually.

And just... I went the soundbar route for simplicity, I dont really want to be adding more devices into the mix which may come with their own issues.

Honestly surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit about this yet, that thread linked above has a LOT of angry customers.

E: I'm not at home to check but I'm pretty sure the sonos arc does not have an optical input.

HampHamp fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Spec sheets say it does.

The thing, a different model tv isn't a sure bet that you won't run into the same issue. ARC just isn't great for external sources and most use cases are connecting to 2.1 sound systems so they usually only check PCM.

Hell, you are actually kinda lucky that the TV is reporting a 5.1 capable edid. It wasn't too long ago that TVs only reported their two internal speakers to external devices and anything other than 2.0 was locked out.