Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I spent a night in Cortez when we swung through Mesa Verde this august and masks and distancing was not the norm there, if that’s a concern for you.

Speaking of nearby fires, the CalWood fire started about a 15 minute drive from me. Took a couple pictures the first night it was going. I’m hoping to be able to get up there this weekend and maybe take some pictures of the aftermath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Internet Wizard posted:

I spent a night in Cortez when we swung through Mesa Verde this august and masks and distancing was not the norm there, if that’s a concern for you.

Speaking of nearby fires, the CalWood fire started about a 15 minute drive from me. Took a couple pictures the first night it was going. I’m hoping to be able to get up there this weekend and maybe take some pictures of the aftermath.

I will be wearing a mask and staying away from people. I know there are some risks, but unfortunately no one in Wichita is taking it seriously as the numbers climb. They just voted to open the schools up tonight. Part of the reason I want to get out to nowhere,

Those fires break my heart. I have spent a lot of time in Roosevelt NF, and in Medicine Bow. The Cameron Peak and Mullen Fires are insane. Stay safe, hopefully the front coming through will help.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

The Rat posted:

North Rim Grand Canyon: closes 1 Dec, but if you get in there in late Nov, it's not crowded at all and much different from the South Rim experience. Not as much to do or as many overlooks, but I like it better than South Rim.

Important caveat on this: The North Rim closes on December 1st or after the first snowfall, whichever comes first, as 67 doesn't get plowed. In addition, all services with the exception of the general store and gas station shut down after October 15th—so if you do plan to swing by in November, keep that in mind, and keep an eye on the weather and the park website to make sure the park is still open.

With all that said, I really like the North Rim. I've only had a chance to get over there once, but it's really different from the South Rim in ways that almost make it feel like a different park entirely. There's also a lot more trails that don't go inside the canyon, which if you're looking for a relaxed or only mildly strenuous hike is a big plus.

In short, cool place, would recommend.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh yeah true, forgot about the snow thing.

The north rim does have my favorite view of the Grand Canyon, that being of Wotan's Throne.

Hey at least with the Cameron Peak fire being so big now, we're beating Wyoming! Go Colorado! :haw::suicide:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Rocky Mountain National Park is closed until further notice now

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Looking at the Inciweb map of the fire spread, it's made its way down Spruce Canyon and hit Spruce Lake and Fern Lake.

Not at all surprised at Spruce Canyon going up at first opportunity, it was dense and full of deadfall when I went through it a couple months ago. I just hope Sprague glacier doesn't get melted from the heat :(

Looks like the towns of Granby and Grand Lake are getting proper hosed up too.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

The Rat posted:

Looking at the Inciweb map of the fire spread, it's made its way down Spruce Canyon and hit Spruce Lake and Fern Lake.

Not at all surprised at Spruce Canyon going up at first opportunity, it was dense and full of deadfall when I went through it a couple months ago. I just hope Sprague glacier doesn't get melted from the heat :(

Looks like the towns of Granby and Grand Lake are getting proper hosed up too.

I listened to the scanner from Grand County on Wednesday night when the fire exploded. The local firefighters basically made a heroic stand and saved the town of Grand Lake with just the resources they had. The bigger crews weren't there yet. The winds were favorable for the town last night and it's ok so far. The fire was north of the town and went through Kawnauchee Visitors Center and the campgrounds (my favorite) around little columbine creek and columbine lake.

You've been there and seen the beetle kill, the fuel was just overwhelming and the fire ran twenty miles overnight. It's crazy.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Seeing reports that the crews managed to get the Left Hand Canyon fire fully contained last night, and the CalWood fire is 55% contained. The winds are still favorable for me and pushing the fire westward, if it had moved east I would've had to evac that first night.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Internet Wizard posted:

Seeing reports that the crews managed to get the Left Hand Canyon fire fully contained last night, and the CalWood fire is 55% contained. The winds are still favorable for me and pushing the fire westward, if it had moved east I would've had to evac that first night.

Hope you are ok, I saw the winds had shifted east at 50mph this morning.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Looks like fern falls and the whole trail up to the fern lake/cub lake parking lot are burned up now too :(

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The weather was real crap in Utah yesterday, but was slightly less crap in Nevada. On the way there the snow was actually pretty nuts, saw one person had driven off the road on I-80. Went to try and do a mountain called Goshute Peak. The clouds were low in the morning and I parked a long way away to make things harder for myself

As the day went on, they disappeared for a bit

There's great views from the top, the problem is that it's eastern Nevada/western Utah which is mostly barren desert/salt flats

Did I mention it was cold? I started out with four layers but quickly shed one and basically went with three layers the rest of the way up. Keeping the blood moving will keep you real warm and I still had three layers at the summit even with 25 MPH winds. But it was definitely below freezing as seen by the ice forming in one of my water bottles

On the way back I may have hosed up and gone down the wrong canyon cause I had to deal with this poo poo for a couple hundred feet

You could go the Arches National Park for arches or you can go to the fabulous Goshute Mountains instead. Guaranteed to be fewer people and fewer arches

I had read a couple trip reports about people following horse trails and I saw an abundance of horse poop everywhere but it wasn't until I was driving back that I saw some wild horses. Supposedly there's over a thousand in the area

As I'm walking back along the road I was hoping things would warm up just a bit. I think it was around 32 when I returned to the trail and it was something like 6 miles back to the truck. But it just got colder. By the time I got back I was in 5 layers including my Omni-heat jacket, a full head covering, and had gloves and hand warmers and it was almost enough to keep me warm. It might not have been so bad but that wind just makes it straight cold. Ended up being 8.9 miles and 4300 feet one way for the day

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Nice pics!
I have finalized my plans, my wife and I are heading to southern Utah on Sunday. Plan on staying on BLM land near Canyonlands (Needles) and Bears Ears. We will be staying in my 4 season tent far from people and civilization. We have no itinerary and will visit sites based on weather and crowds. There's so much to to see and do. I was hoping to see Bryce and Zion, but I don't think I'll make it based on time and Covid crowds. We are also traveling with two dogs so hiking is off in National Parks anyways, so we will probably stick to monuments and BLM stuff.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

Ended up being 8.9 miles and 4300 feet one way for the day

Jesus that's fuckin brutal.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

FYI: New rules let ALL veterans and Gold Star Families have free entry to National Parks

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...ing-next-month/

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I went to an even more remote location in Nevada and found a ghost town on my way up the mountain

The views were pretty good

The benchmark was dated from 1929

Some wild horses checking me out

Found a tire and rolled it back to my truck for proper disposal

All in all it was about 5.25 miles and 3000 feet of climbing one way. Since this was Saturday I was going to plan another hike on Sunday. My original plan of hiking Cascade Mountain in the Wasatch seemed kinda ehhhh knowing that there was tons of stuff out west. I drove past the Ruby Mountains on my way home and looked at some information for them but could hardly find anything for some of their named peaks. There was one called Smith Peak that seemed like it didn't exist outside of maps. I ended up on some website called Peakvisor which essentially gives a 3D panorama of all the terrain from whatever summit you might be on. While playing around with it I could see the ultra prominent peaks highlighted in red. I had done Pilot Peak, Ibapah Peak, and while looking for Wheeler Peak I found another one not too far away called North Schell Peak. It was a super easy climb even though I parked hella far away to try and make things harder for myself. I continued down its southern ridge for a while before doing a super lovely descent into a basin

In 1944 some people were fighting the Nazis, but other people were placing benchmarks on mountains

The descent into the basin

It was lovely and when I say lovely I mean loving lovely. Every step was practically a rock slide. Tons of rocks ended up in my shoes and I couldn't empty them because it would immediately happen again. It was an awful time.

It was 10 miles and around 5200 feet of climbing when I made my descent, so probably another 5 miles back to my truck. A bit more daylight, more food, and more water and I would have kept going down the ridge for a while

Hotel Kpro fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 3, 2020

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I am betting that rocky climb was even more steep than those pictures make it look.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Basic estimating off of google maps terrain mode puts it around 67% grade

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anybody have opinions on this tripod? https://www.rei.com/product/170490/nikon-compact-outdoor-tripod

Or any other recommendations for a decent sub-$100ish tripod for taking pictures on hikes? Or is that budget too small to have any options worth considering? I don't have a tripod right now and would like to get one, but don't have a lot of budget space for it when I'm trying to save up for some other ongoing projects.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
The tripod looks nice, I really recommend a ballhead, which it has. The grip-pan handle on it was a good idea. It doesn't say what its lowest configuration is, so I don't know if that is something important to you. Like my manfrotto's legs have a lock that can let each leg bend up farther so the camera is lower to the ground. The pictures don't seem to have anything like that. It doesn't have a quick release plate and I can't see the bottom to see if you could put a black rapid tripod fastener if you use that system. Rubber feet, I know some tripods have metal spikes so again not sure if that is something you want. The hook on it is nice, if you are in a windy area you can attach something with some weight to weigh it down.
For $100 it's decent, bummed it doesn't have a quick release plate though. Just my two cents.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Anybody have opinions on this tripod? https://www.rei.com/product/170490/nikon-compact-outdoor-tripod

Or any other recommendations for a decent sub-$100ish tripod for taking pictures on hikes? Or is that budget too small to have any options worth considering? I don't have a tripod right now and would like to get one, but don't have a lot of budget space for it when I'm trying to save up for some other ongoing projects.

This was my first tripod and it was decent for the price: https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/ele...FwaAvebEALw_wcB

I still use it for my spotting scope, though I've gotten a different tripod for photos.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It is desert season, so started off yesterday by doing the Domelands in the Coyote Mountain Wilderness, about 90 minutes east of San Diego

People like to shoot out here but never pick up their brass.

Did some slot canyons

Halfway

These domes used to be sand dunes that hardened and the winds have carved away at them over time for make the formations

Looking north toward Salton Sea

The top of the mountains used to be a seabed a long time ago so there's some marine fossils if you look.

This morning drove up to Mt. Laguna for sunrise and left my phone on potato mode. Oops.

These are all looking east toward Salton Sea and Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 15, 2020

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Those are some lovely shots. I dig that kind of desert landscape.

Boot chat, I've been wearing Merrells for the last few years and I really like their comfort and ability to grip rock. Durability is not great though, as the soles tend to flatten out with use and I end up replacing my summer weight boots once a year. How do Salomons compare?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I picked up a pair of the X Ultra 3 Mids with Gore-Tex during the last REI anniversary sale, and the wides size pretty similarly to the Merrel wides in the same size. Stiffer through the ankle, go up another inch or so higher, and the toe box is a little more narrow with a more solid rubber cap on it than the Zion Vents.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

How does the rock gripping and durability compare? The rock gripping is critical for me, but what I'd like is a little more durability.

There are govt discounts on both brands via expertvoice.com so either way it's not bad. (If you aren't on expertvoice yet, get on there for a lot of good discounts.)

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The soles are more rigid and the corners feel more sharp and firm, if that makes sense. So if you’re on an incline and get just a toehold or an edge hold it feels a bit more secure. The rubber feels about the same as the Merrel soles.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I bought a pair of X Ultra 3 GTX's during an REI sale in January, and I love them. Even though they're shoes and not boots they outperform most boots I've owned. They're my first Salomons, but since they're so comfortable and grippy (I feel like a mountain goat out in the high desert), they will not be my last. I can't speak to long-term durability since my current pair is only ten months old, but they're holding up well so far. And honestly, even if they don't last that long, that's no big deal since they're half as expensive as brands like Lowa while being just as good.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I’ll also add i was initially a little reluctant to try out Salomons because of their reputation for being narrower than average, but the sale was hard to pass up on a high quality goretex boot, and the wides fit almost as wide as the Merrel wides.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah I've got these https://www.rei.com/product/127770/salomon-quest-4d-3-gtx-hiking-boots-mens as well as a similar winter version and they both own. Will definitely be buying more Salomon boots. There's a super solid military discount on them too.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like going out yesterday might have been a mistake. There's this mountain not too far away that's the high point of the Oquirrh mountain range. But that's not why people climb it. They do it cause it apparently has more than 5000 feet of prominence, putting it on the ultra prominent list of the lower 48. There's no official trail to the top and the drifts of snow I encountered made things not so fun. The views were A+

This tree was doing some weird stuff

Just under 6 miles one way with 4100 feet of climbing. I haven't been able to sleep and I start a new job today so this will only end well

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That tree is neat as gently caress. Brutal rear end hike you did there too.

I just got back from my first road trip in a year. Went to Utah, slept in the car and hiked for a week, was socially distant as gently caress. Which I guess isn't at all different than my usual road trips, other than masks and hand sanitizer after refilling my gas tank. Will have pics processed sometime in the next few days.

Almost considered going out to see the mysterious monolith while we were out there, but after learning that it was just some sheet metal thing, lost interest. Would have been a long and bumpy road for what was essentially an internet meme.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It disappeared anyway, I guess.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Shortly after taking this shot, I fumbled my lens cap, heard two near bouncing sounds, and then nothing. Rest of the trip was without a lens cap on that lens.

Natural Bridges national monument

Petrified Forest

The Maze petroglyph site. (Best said in a drawn out haggard Ed Harris Westworld tone.)

Grand Canyon north rim just past sunset in the blue hour

The dragon at Edmaier's Secret

Brain rock field at Edmaier's Secret

From up on West Bench

Coming back down Buckskin Gulch

Yant Flat

Cassidy Arch trail

Hickman Bridge

Tower Arch

The weather was not especially cooperative on this trip. Precipitation on the forecast caused me to cancel going to the South Coyote Buttes, which I had a permit for. So that's a downer. Lots of chilly weather, and lots of clear blue skies with zero clouds that made for some harsh glare on the rocks. Hopefully it'll be better next time.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
That trip looked rad as hell

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

A quickie at Dream lake after finding that the trail to lake Haiyaha was entirely snowed in and undefined past the first 100m. Was trying to get as low as I could on my tripod to show the ice texture. Would like to get back sometime and get this angle or a lower angle at sunrise, but the next week or so is looking like nasty snow.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The Rat posted:

A quickie at Dream lake after finding that the trail to lake Haiyaha was entirely snowed in and undefined past the first 100m. Was trying to get as low as I could on my tripod to show the ice texture. Would like to get back sometime and get this angle or a lower angle at sunrise, but the next week or so is looking like nasty snow.

Thank you. I needed this today.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
gorgeous, love that classic glacially eroded topography, nice u shaped chute

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Work called a day off today due to excess cold. So I bundled up and tried to get up to Dream lake for a nice sunrise shot.

Unfortunately, wind and snow at the lake itself was such that visibility was <200m. So I took this one as I was coming back down the trail instead.

And then I got down to Bear lake and still no one was around, so I wandered around to see if I could find a good angle, since I had not previously Waldo'd Bear lake. Found this and couldn't resist.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I might be quitting my job come July. I'm pondering doing the oregon portion of the PCT.

Anyone have any good stroller recommendations?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Sweet

Will post thread soon