Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Eyes in glass?

In this economy!?!

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

packetmantis posted:

Isinglass is still used as an additive in beer and wine.

I usually hear about it in the context of why some beers aren’t vegetarian/vegan

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

packetmantis posted:

Isinglass is still used as an additive in beer and wine.

Maybe it's regional, but I just call it "on the rocks."

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

BalloonFish posted:

That's like how two numbers in The Music Man are basically just lists of 1900s Midwest Americana references. Really the whole show is a 'nostalgia for that time you don't properly remember because you're not quite old enough' fest.

There are several issues of Capt. Billy’s Whiz Bang on Project Gutenberg.

Expect Prohibition jokes and mild naughtiness.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I know that Americans don't use the word "fringe" for hair, but do you also not use it for anything else? It seems like a pretty common, ordinary word to me?

Fringe is not really a fringe word in the US :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
French benefits

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Fringe is not really a fringe word in the US :v:

I'm fact, it's central to the sovcit movement.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

echopapa posted:

There are several issues of Capt. Billy’s Whiz Bang on Project Gutenberg.

Expect Prohibition jokes and mild naughtiness.

Captain Billy's Whizz Bang posted:

Dear Capt. Billy—What is a good name for a new college sorority?—Al E. Wrat.

I. Phelta Thi.

:monocle:

quote:

“Is my wife forward?” asked the passenger on the Limited.

“She wasn’t to me sir,” answered the conductor politely.

:eyepop:

quote:

Dear Skipper—When is a good girl not a good girl?—McNotty.

About half the time, we’d say.

:captainpop:

'Trouble in River City' indeed!

Not least because Captain Billy's first published in 1919 and The Music Man is set in 1912. Professor Hill is a time traveller!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's legit pretty dirty, it was intended for soldiers/sailors returning from WWI, so it's reasonable you wouldn't want your 10-year-old son reading it.

quote:

A doughboy who’d just come from France,
At the clothes of the girls looked askance,
He’d killed many a Hun
And from bombs hadn’t run,
But the skirts made his breath come in pants.
:popeye:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It dates back to the 60s, as far as I know.
IBM used to include pocket protectors as a value-add, and that might be why the maintainers of the mainframes back then started using them - and since those maintainers probably qualify as what we'd call nerds nowadays, I imagine that's where it came from.

My husband used to carry Rapidograph technical pens in his pocket. They are not meant to be carried in a pocket, because they have pointy pointy tips full of liquid ink (ball-point pens use gel) You need a pocket protector for those puppies, and if you carried Rapidographs, you were an engineer or an architect.

I thought of a fairly obscure one. This was from a standup video in the '80s, maybe Carlin? The setup was that a guy made his sandals out of old car tires (huh? one). The punchline was that he died because he was running around a curve on the mountain, and his tires were made by Goodrich, and they blew up (huh? two).

e: In the US, there are actually two meanings for isinglass. One of them is the fish stuff, one of them is sheets of mica. Isinglass windows are the latter. .Ebay seller selling off NOS isinglass.

ee:

Xiahou Dun posted:

For my sins I once went to theater school and a class made me watch the whole of Oklahoma! 3 times so it's burned into my brain and I basically have the Great American Songbook version of PTSD and can never forget a single line. There are worse things, of course, but it's not fun.
I played in the pit band for "Li'l Abner". I have known Hell.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 4, 2021

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Xiahou Dun posted:

For my sins I once went to theater school and a class made me watch the whole of Oklahoma! 3 times so it's burned into my brain and I basically have the Great American Songbook version of PTSD and can never forget a single line. There are worse things, of course, but it's not fun.

My parents were theater buffs (we lived about 20 minutes from NYC) and used to listen to show tunes all the time. I have my own version of PTSD.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oklahoma is so bad and boring and only makes sense to be almost 3 hours if you have literally nothing else to distract you. It needs to stop being done. loving boomers won't ever let that happen tho.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My kids heard a lot of Sondheim in the car. My son now refuses to go to musicals. Linked? I think not.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My kids heard a lot of Sondheim in the car. My son now refuses to go to musicals. Linked? I think not.
It is the children who are wrong.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Source4Leko posted:

Oklahoma is so bad and boring and only makes sense to be almost 3 hours if you have literally nothing else to distract you. It needs to stop being done. loving boomers won't ever let that happen tho.

On the flipside, try and find a theatre putting on a Brecht play in this day and age.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just you wait for my Brechtian production of Oklahoma.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Source4Leko posted:

At first I thought you meant the state and yeah p. much.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Lead out in cuffs posted:

On the flipside, try and find a theatre putting on a Brecht play in this day and age.

i mean, plenty in germany

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Although sure not at the moment or for the past year or so!

(if you're reading this in a future where the reference is lost on you: congrats)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah up until COVID I was going to see Ionescu plays and stuff.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just you wait for my Brechtian production of Oklahoma.

The recent Broadway revival was essentially that, and it was legitimately amazing.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Have been lurking this thread and am caught up to p20, but wanted to pop in to say that I’m reading Player Piano by Vonnegut and there’s a reference to Who’s Who that I wouldn’t have gotten if it want for this thread.

Someone earlier mentioned Bugs Bunny’s carrot as a reference to a cigar [edit: saw the clip 2 pages back and I guess I was thinking about something else] in some other work, but [here’s where the carrot munchin’ comes from]: https://youtu.be/Wcrth90C3D4

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 15, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I'm rewatching The Wire from the beginning, and just thinking about explaining to a kid how beepers worked and yes payphones were a thing makes me think I have a nosebleed.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

The North Tower posted:

Have been lurking this thread and am caught up to p20, but wanted to pop in to say that I’m reading Player Piano by Vonnegut and there’s a reference to Who’s Who that I wouldn’t have gotten if it want for this thread.

Someone earlier mentioned Bugs Bunny’s carrot as a reference to a cigar [edit: saw the clip 2 pages back and I guess I was thinking about something else] in some other work, but [here’s where the carrot munchin’ comes from]: https://youtu.be/Wcrth90C3D4

I also imagine there are a lot of people who don't even realise that a 'player piano' is an actual thing and not just some weird English litty title.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Jeza posted:

I also imagine there are a lot of people who don't even realise that a 'player piano' is an actual thing and not just some weird English litty title.

He more or less explains what one is in the book, so it wouldn’t be too confusing for those who pick it up, but if one were browsing, I’d imagine so.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm 28 and I don't know how they worked, I just remember my mom had one because she was a nurse.

Isn't it sort of like a text message but the only thing you can do is send a one-way text saying "call me/come here"?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm 28 and I don't know how they worked, I just remember my mom had one because she was a nurse.

Isn't it sort of like a text message but the only thing you can do is send a one-way text saying "call me"?

Exactly. There were also pager codes like early net speak, so you could send someone 07734 and it’s hello (upside down).

E: on more expensive models \/ didn’t know that some couldn’t receive messages

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

On the basic models, the pager displays the number of anyone who's called. So you don't get an indication of what the message is about, but you know who's trying to reach you.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I know pagers are still used by some doctors. I found an article from 2020 saying it's still a thing.

Drug dealers don't have to work in places where cell reception can be absolutely terrible.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One thing I'm always reminded of when I catch old commercial breaks from the 90s is what a huge deal long distance calling cards were. There's like 4 nested concepts you'd have to explain to any kid born this century before they got it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"Talking into a phone? You mean Siri, grandpa?"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

One thing I'm always reminded of when I catch old commercial breaks from the 90s is what a huge deal long distance calling cards were. There's like 4 nested concepts you'd have to explain to any kid born this century before they got it.

"Okay, first off...long distance isn't free. Wait, what's long distance? It's when you paid extra to call someone a long way away. Yeah. Over the phone. Facetime? No, just voice. But anyway, if you wanted to pay less you could buy these plastic cards..."

I don't even know how I'd explain 10-10-220 to a Zoomer.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 18, 2021

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

"Okay, first off...long distance isn't free. Wait, what's long distance? It's when you paid extra to call someone a long way away. Yeah. Over the phone. Facetime? No, just voice. But anyway, if you wanted to pay less you could buy these plastic cards..."

It's like an old-timey VPN.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Make sure to start your old timey stories with ‘it sucked and was really inconvenient’ to fight the nostalgia-based ‘kids don’t know what it was like’ brain worms.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You know how there's always been that joke about, "If you remember Woodstock, you weren't there?" I think I would almost say, "If you think the past was better, you don't remember it."

Almost everything that sucks about today was true then, too, we just didn't know about it because we were young and weren't terminally online, and so many other things are so much loving better it's unreal.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Can confirm.
Went to Beastie Boys concert in Summer of '98.
Got high as gently caress, barely remember anything of the show.

A+++ Would go again.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Worse, there's the 1959 Rock Hudson/Doris Day movie, Pillow Talk with a plot line involving party lines.

Wikipedia posted:

It tells the story of Jan Morrow (Day), an interior decorator and Brad Allen (Hudson), a womanizing composer/bachelor, who share a telephone party line. When she unsuccessfully files a complaint on him for constantly using the line to woo his conquests, Brad decides to take a chance on Jan by masquerading as a Texas rancher, resulting in the two falling in love. The scheme seems to work until Brad's mutual friend and Jan's client Jonathan Forbes (Randall) finds out about this, causing a love triangle in the process.

Well, sonny, your great-grandpa didn't have his own phone. No, it wasn't that his parents thought he was too young. They didn't have their own phone. They shared a number with several families on their street. For his parents to know someone called them, they had to listen for two rings and a buzz.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Worse, there's the 1959 Rock Hudson/Doris Day movie, Pillow Talk with a plot line involving party lines.

Well, sonny, your great-grandpa didn't have his own phone. No, it wasn't that his parents thought he was too young. They didn't have their own phone. They shared a number with several families on their street. For his parents to know someone called them, they had to listen for two rings and a buzz.

O god drat it now I have the song from that movie stuck in my head.

"Rolly polly, polly. Rolly polly, polly."

(My mom loves all the old Doris Day movies so I was required to study them like they were the Bible. This might be related to why I'm the only 30-whatever man who liked Down With Love and thinks it's a masterpiece.)

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Just realized this:
The last time I hit "Rewind" on a device that actually spooled tape was 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've bought two VCRs in the past 3 years.