Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sir Tonk posted:

tyvm

so legend of heroes trails in the sky? I've got a vita and ps3, so no worries there. currently going through Felghana on the vita and pretty close to finishing Celceta on the PS4. Was trying to finish them before IX came out, but no luck.

sky 1 is best played on pc id say because they patched in a turbo mode and some of the battle animations can be real slow. if you don't midn it being sluggish tho you can get it as a psp classic on vita im p. sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I could do without the harem stuff and having 50 playable characters but otherwise agreed

having finished cs4, i sometimes look back on the series as a whole and wonder how much better the class vii group chemistry would be if they ditched the harem thing and made rean/crow canon, because in hindsight that pairing makes the most sense to me

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rean/Angie

Hello I don't actually exist

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

U-DO Burger posted:

i love this series to death and it bums me out that the general vibe itt is so negative. i don't want anything cut from the games. i want more of everything. more political stuff, more bizarre secret organization with questionable staffing, more shonen, more giant robots, twice the cutscenes, gimme all that good poo poo

Us.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I think it bothers me because there's so much attention to detail in so many places but the central plot has long since stopped feeling like uncovering a mystery about how those details fit together. None of them matter. I like evil wizards and secret societies and mechs and poo poo, I just want them to feel like they're part of this incredibly detailed world instead of replacing it.

This kind of my point with the power rangers, we've already done the fresh eyed youngsters get dragged into the plot and start figuring it out 3 times. The sequel arc, of which the previous groups of fresh eyed youngsters are now in as veterans, did not need more fresh eyed youngsters.

Shinjobi posted:

I think the series has come a long way since Sky 1, and there's enough of its heart still there that I want to like the Cold Steel games more than I do. Hell, I really enjoyed CS 1 AND 2! It was 3 that felt like a misstep overall, while 4 had some killer awesome moments with a handful of head scratchers. Those head scratchers though, wow.

I don't think the franchise has committed some horrible mistake that they can't recover from, but I would very much like it if the back half of CS never happens again! And from the sound of it I think Falcom realized where they made some missteps, so hey there's reason to be pretty chill with whatever comes next.

Agreed.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 5, 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Not sure if there's a rule against double posting, but I didn't think this and the last post go together.

I recommend Cold Steel 1 as the starting point overall. It knows what Trails is, and trains you to want Trails. Whereas Sky FC was Sky FC before it was Trails, and thus it doesn't necessarily train you to like Trails as much as it trains you to like Sky FC.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I basically quit playing RPGs for several years, even though they were for a very long time my main jam.

Trails rekindled a lot of love I had for the genre.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I still like the series but 4 burned me hard especially after 3 was by far my favourite from Cold Steel. The real issue with 4 is that all of its flaws are things the series has always had, just pushed finally too far for me to brush off to the point where it actively hurts my ability to enjoy the first three CS games and I don’t trust Falcom to not bumble in a similar manner the next time we get a climax game. I still like 4 overall I think but I can’t really ignore the things I dislike about the series anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Shinjobi posted:

Rean/Angie

It actually warmed my heart when she introduced herself in CS3 as Rean's big sister.

But after four games, Rean/Laura is the only pairing that ended up making sense in my head. And I used to be square in team Rean/Towa.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Angie/George is pretty loving stupid and I have no idea what they were thinking trying to set a course for that one.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Saoshyant posted:

It actually warmed my heart when she introduced herself in CS3 as Rean's big sister.

But after four games, Rean/Laura is the only pairing that ended up making sense in my head. And I used to be square in team Rean/Towa.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Angie/George is pretty loving stupid and I have no idea what they were thinking trying to set a course for that one.

By the end CS4 I liked Rean/Laura, Rean/Emma, and Rean/Towa, personally.

I don't really agree with the idea that they should ditch romance options, but that's mostly because I don't want Falcom to write another incest romance. Just fix the system.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Step-sibling romances are weird and awkward but it wont stop me from playing the future LOH games. It's mostly an optional mini-game in Hajimari at least.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

infraboy posted:

Step-sibling romances are weird and awkward but it wont stop me from playing the future LOH games. It's mostly an optional mini-game in Hajimari at least.

It won't stop me from playing either, I'm just saying that having the option to say no when Falcom offers it is a good thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Oh good! They are bringing that poo poo to Hajimari too! That's reassuring to hear. Where would this series be without the optional step-siblings loving bits.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It's just an optional beach mini-game thing, I messed with it a little but it's pretty dedicated for people obsessed with Elle's implants. Wouldn't surprise me if it was somehow cut from the western release, it doesn't add anything to the story at all.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Saoshyant posted:

The only way it even resembles something that could happen is a very open relationship where they are married for appearances while Angie follows her heart and George just smiles and nods.

So yeah, it doesn't really work.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Angie George stuff was one of the times the game genuinely pissed me off.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the hinting at angie/george didn't bother me that much because it was just a few members of the cast speculating about it, and sometimes teenagers ship their friends and it doesnt make sense but that's okay

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is it as relentless as the Agate/Tita shipping

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its like 3 lines

its a stupid 3 lines but its not anywhere near an actual thing so ill just roll my eyes at it. esp since i really doubt george and angie will ever appear again

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Angie being the grandmaster, calling it now

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Obviously Angie is gonna show up in the Calvard game while visiting her master Kilika :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if kilika is angie's master that bodes poorly for angie's odds of not attaching herself to a really boring guy

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lets say I want to start playing Ys

do I really need to play Origins first and work my way through 9 games

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Absolutely not, but they're all good enough that it's worth doing anyway.

Especially Ys Origin.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yes

It's actually like 12 games

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Every Ys game is story linked, you see. Every time Adol gets ship wrecked into a new location to fight an ancient evil, it's a new chapter of a 18 chapter epic. You won't understand what's going on in Ys IX if you haven't played them all in order.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best part of Ys 9 so far is the interrogator lady going 'are you aware of how many shipwrecks you've been in?'

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For serious, I spoiled myself on the bigger twists in Ys Origin way back when. Is the gameplay still real good at least?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Unlucky7 posted:

For serious, I spoiled myself on the bigger twists in Ys Origin way back when. Is the gameplay still real good at least?

Yes, especially Third.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ys 9's premise had might as well be "well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions"

adol has the unique distinction of being an "adventurer" in a world where roaming thrill-seekers who stab ancient evils to death are rightly viewed as dangerous lunatics by people who aren't personally familiar with them

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Oxxidation posted:

ys 9's premise had might as well be "well well well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions"

adol has the unique distinction of being an "adventurer" in a world where roaming thrill-seekers who stab ancient evils to death are rightly viewed as dangerous lunatics by people who aren't personally familiar with them

To be fair (Haven't played IX yet. Want to), isn't this taking place in a part of the Romn empire, which Adol has fought at least twice by this point and would probably be on their shitlist?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm in the final chapter of Ys 9, and I can confidently say that while having knowledge of the other games is a nice bonus, you do not need to know a single thing from the other games to understand what's happening. The only thing you really need to know is that Adol is an adventurer who encountered a bunch of wild poo poo, and even that you can pick up on from the game itself.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Endorph posted:

sky 1 is best played on pc id say because they patched in a turbo mode and some of the battle animations can be real slow. if you don't midn it being sluggish tho you can get it as a psp classic on vita im p. sure

The translation also changed in a few significant locations, so I'd recommend PC just for that. End of chapter 2/beginning of chapter 3 makes sense now, for example.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
when is Ys 5 gonna get remade, like how Wanderers from Ys was remade into Oath in Felghana, and both versions of Ys 4 got remade into Memories of Celceta

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

no

you have at least seven titles to complete before Origin, beginning with with the original Master System release of Ancient Ys Vanished

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ys really only starts actually bothering to have an ongoing plot around the time of Ys VI, and for the most part it's just a few recurring characters here and there. Compared to Trails it is pretty light on the story and what is there is some pretty broad stroke stuff. You absolutely don't need to play any of them in a certain order.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
You can’t enjoy Ys without knowing the Dogi backstory.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dogi? The guy Laura got a plushy of in CS1?? Aidios, it was all connected as it turns out!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

There are multiple characters and they play differently. Yunica is just about the same as Felghana Adol, so her gameplay is fun. Hugo has a single shooting attack that you mash the hell out of so he might get boring. Beating the game once unlocks a third character who's basically Yunica but faster, so he's the funnest.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Absolutely not, but they're all good enough that it's worth doing anyway.

Especially Ys Origin.

This is the only Ys game I own and I don't remember getting it. I guess I just start with this one or something and move down the chain?

gonna take me 20 years to burn through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ys stories are almost entirely self-contained. Play them however you like.