Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

skasion posted:

Han Solo’s evil cousin who looks exactly like Han Solo with a mustache

and who hates han solo because han is the true heir to the ancient empire of corellia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jazerus posted:

and who hates han solo because han is the true heir to the ancient empire of corellia

It’s ok, Han paid him back by teaming up with Boba Fett to assassinate him and provoke another galactic civil war

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

karmicknight posted:

I got reminded of Centerpoint Station today and man oh man is it a loving trip.

Built by the bugnest orgy bugs to move, uh, planets for some reason.
Also a giant gun.
also people live in the giant gun.

It was supposed to be some kind of giant tow truck or crane moving celestial bodies around before they figured out how to use it as a giant gun eons later. All the people basically set up their homes on the walls of a giant reactor in sleep mode. Later Centerpoint would be used as a political symbol by Corellian separatist movements and was put on t-shirts, before eventually the Republic had enough of attempts to use it as a superweapon and blew it up.

And then after it was destroyed, it turned out that it had somehow been maintaining the Maw cluster of black holes as a prison for ancient cosmic space demon, and as that prison cracked open, its influence leaked into the galaxy, starting with the Jedi younglings that Luke had hidden in a space station near the Maw after Yavin got too dangerous. Oops.

Also worth noting that this is a case of authors throwing out weird background elements that get taken as plot hooks and picked up by other authors. Centerpoint first appeared in 1995, the spacebugs were written in 2005, and the space demon that they were commissioned to imprison was the focus of a book series starting in 2009, and the very last book that came out in 2012 was the one that tied in the spacebugs as the ones commissioned to make the Maw and also tied the demon into a 2011 episode of Clone Wars.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
IIRC the space demon also ate Luke's ex from two of the worst books, Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

*two of the worst books (non-Kevin J. Anderson division)

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Defiance Industries posted:

*two of the worst books (non-Kevin J. Anderson division)

I am more than willing to put Planet of Twilight in with the KJA books.

None of them are Crystal Star, though.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight form a trilogy with KJA’s infamous Darksaber, so they might as well be lumped in with that. That said, I don’t mind his Jedi Academy trilogy, although that was earlier EU and I can’t think of any of his later books that I read, so maybe he did get a lot worse.

Crystal Star is I think the only EU book I couldn’t finish. I made it about 60 pages in and it was just awful...

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the jedi academy trilogy had a subtle but awful effect on the whole rest of the EU by being so pivotal and yet full of dissonant details. leia in particular emerges from her time in the hands of kja as a caricature of an entitled rich white lady and rarely if ever goes back to being, uh, princess leia from the movies

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Jazerus posted:

the jedi academy trilogy had a subtle but awful effect on the whole rest of the EU by being so pivotal and yet full of dissonant details.

This is an excellent way of putting it. So much of Legends (and even a whole-rear end video game) was based on Luke's New Jedi Order, which was established in a trilogy that also included energy-sucking cave spiders; dark possessions from a super-evil Sith lord that lived, like, around the block; all-male jedi hot tub training sessions; Vader grave robbery; Tarkin's astoundingly incompetent ex; Wedge just sort of finding a jedi-detecting radio; frog rape dungeons; and probably way more insane poo poo than what I've already listed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hazo posted:

This is an excellent way of putting it. So much of Legends (and even a whole-rear end video game) was based on Luke's New Jedi Order, which was established in a trilogy that also included energy-sucking cave spiders; dark possessions from a super-evil Sith lord that lived, like, around the block; all-male jedi hot tub training sessions; Vader grave robbery; Tarkin's astoundingly incompetent ex; Wedge just sort of finding a jedi-detecting radio; frog rape dungeons; and probably way more insane poo poo than what I've already listed.

See here we make the classic mistake of ragging on something by making it sound 5,000 times cooler/funnier than it is

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Sodomy Hussein posted:

See here we make the classic mistake of ragging on something by making it sound 5,000 times cooler/funnier than it is

They manage to have all of that and be boring.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah the big powerful indictment of the Jedi Academy Trilogy is that it contains about a million really funny wild elements without context, but adding the context of the books to them just makes them boring.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
but does it have Waru?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The Crystal Star is the Worst Star Wars Novel.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Hethrir's scientists breached the walls between dimensions and brought into existence a massive slab of meat covered with shining golden scales.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

karmicknight posted:

Crystal Star is bad but The New Rebellion is some fanfic level poo poo. loving Cole Fardreamer

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I grabbed my paperback of Crystal Star last time I was home, with the idea of doing a re-read thread. But I just can’t bring myself to it

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
it's been 20 years or more since I read it but even as a star wars obsessed little kid it was so boring and such a slog to get through

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My introduction to Luke's Jedi academy was the Junior Jedi Knight books, that I read after I ran out of Jedi Apprentice books. I think they were for a lower reading level than I was used to, and they basically amounted to your standard kids wandering off to find an amazing world kids' story like the magic treehouse books, but they still had some notable bits.

The books focused on Anakin Solo who was mostly in a class by himself because he was so much younger than Luke's first batch of kids. His one classmate was Tahiri, an orphan girl from Tatooine.

That little chinchilla thing is actually an ancient jedi master named Ikrit who they found hibernating in the Palace of Woolamander. He missed out on the Jedi purges by sleeping for 400 years. He was there because he found the golden globe behind him which is filled with the tortured souls of Massassi children that were imprisoned by an even more ancient sith lord to harvest their power. Only a force-sensitive child could safely touch the globe to release the souls though, so instead of...going back to Coruscant to get some younglings, he just decided to wait until some came his way.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

what i'm getting from this is that anakin solo is a magical girl

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fartknocker posted:

Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight form a trilogy with KJA’s infamous Darksaber, so they might as well be lumped in with that. That said, I don’t mind his Jedi Academy trilogy, although that was earlier EU and I can’t think of any of his later books that I read, so maybe he did get a lot worse.

Crystal Star is I think the only EU book I couldn’t finish. I made it about 60 pages in and it was just awful...

darksaber was weird because it felt like a weird bad comedy and i kinda liked the whole "galactic crimelord is way over his loving head but he is so up his own rear end that he thinks he can make a mini death star so he takes Imp Von braun and some ex imp bullshiter and hires the shittiest labor possible and basically acts like he is tough super dude and rolls a couple 20s and than dies. durga=trump.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

karmicknight posted:

i mean its loving up there. i think children of the jedi is worse.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I have no idea what happens in The Crystal Star. I know that I read it, I can remember holding it and looking at the cover, but I have no loving clue what happens in those pages.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Patrick Spens posted:

I have no idea what happens in The Crystal Star. I know that I read it, I can remember holding it and looking at the cover, but I have no loving clue what happens in those pages.

Pretty sure it’s another one of the “oh no, the Solo kids got kidnapped” books

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Without looking at a plot summary, there's like a weird star being with a cult or something who can block the Force, and Luke has to investigate. I think the kids do things here and there but honestly they're kidnapped or something every other week.

It's insanely boring, and I kinda feel the same way about Star Wars books on this tier that I do about Dragonlance books; as soon as you read other Star Wars/D&D spinoff books, you realize that if the books can't be good, they can at least be interesting.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Jazerus posted:

Waru was a trans-dimensional being hailing from a universe parallel to the galaxy's own. His species differed from those known to New Republic databases. Waru was considered a healer by many, due to his ability to treat injuries utilizing his own body. Physically, Waru was predominantly blob-shaped, and consisted of several golden plates acting as shields around a layer of raw, permeable tissue. A thick, syrupy liquid, comparable to ichor, flowed freely from within Waru through the spaces between the covering plates. The inside of Waru was much larger than the outside revealed, allowing three adult Humans enough space to swim through. Waru's interior was also breathable by Humans.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I have a better picture.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I like the first one better because it looks like 3PO is trying to remember which toilet seat Master Luke is behind

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

corran horn paints his x-wing green to represent his past as a cop

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kingdom Of The Crystal Star

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
The only reason Corran Horn stopped being a cop was because he got framed for being on the take.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Corran Horn is short lol

Corran Horn also had a lightsaber with a dial on it that he could use to extend the blade and make it as long as he wanted. Make of these facts what you will

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

skasion posted:

Corran Horn is short lol

Corran Horn also had a lightsaber with a dial on it that he could use to extend the blade and make it as long as he wanted. Make of these facts what you will

isnt that also a canonical feature of vader's saber

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
also, unless i imagined it, anakin's saber (as wielded by luke in splinters of the minds eye) was also adjustable in both length and width

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Hazo posted:

The weird thing about Kevin J Anderson is that he's in the exact opposite position of where he should be. He has all these batshit, wonderful ideas that, in another writer's hands, could be really funny and interesting, but instead does the bulk of the writing for other people's ideas (Brian Herbert being the most notable example).

It feels weird to say, but can you imagine if KJA was just an ideas guy? Like, he goes on his daily hikes and just freeform speaks into his little tape recorder anything that comes to mind, and then the transcription gets handed off to someone with a better sense of pacing and description?

I say this as someone much more sympathetic to KJA than most.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The weird thing about Kevin J Anderson is that he's in the exact opposite position of where he should be. He has all these batshit, wonderful ideas that, in another writer's hands, could be really funny and interesting, but instead does the bulk of the writing for other people's ideas (Brian Herbert being the most notable example).

It feels weird to say, but can you imagine if KJA was just an ideas guy? Like, he goes on his daily hikes and just freeform speaks into his little tape recorder anything that comes to mind, and then the transcription gets handed off to someone with a better sense of pacing and description?

Also everything I've heard about KJA is that for all his bad writing, he's a decent bloke, which is more than can be said about some other prolific Legends writers.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Toph Bei Fong posted:

no i totally agree. kja comes up with great outlines and then totally wrecks the execution. i don't even think it's necessarily a bad idea for him to be working within other people's fictional properties, it seems to be a constraint that he likes and performs well under. but then he actually writes and it falls apart in a hundred tiny ways. i have to wonder if his inability to read what he just "wrote", because it's all spoken, contributes to this dynamic of everything just being a little off-kilter

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I've read the saga of seven suns buddy, no dice.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Over time I've grown to dislike Grand Admiral Thrawn more, not just because I feel like his original trilogy was kinda dumb, but because the general principle of admiring your bad opponent for how smart he is has kinda soured on me. Thrawn reminds me a little of the way that some people idolize Rommel as "the good nazi" who doesn't really share the ideology of the regime he serves even though he'll serve it loyally.

A lot of that is still showing in Rebels where he's the smartest imperial, except the only reason why he's allowed to seem so smart is because he doesn't have some micromanaging boss to get angry at him for not winning quickly, and he has the freedom to fail while fighting the rebels. Any other imperial officer who tried that would get thrown out an airlock.

But I think the worst rehabilitation of Thrawn I've read so far is that apparently the Chiss dealt with some Yuuzhan Vong scout groups, and when Palpatine recruited Thrawn, it was with the idea that the galaxy needed to be prepared to defend itself from the Vong, and that's a justification for the whole Empire. So when Thrawn tried to go kill the New Republic, that was apparently because he thought the New Republic was too weak and sentimental to be ready to fight the Vong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Over time I've grown to dislike Grand Admiral Thrawn more, not just because I feel like his original trilogy was kinda dumb, but because the general principle of admiring your bad opponent for how smart he is has kinda soured on me. Thrawn reminds me a little of the way that some people idolize Rommel as "the good nazi" who doesn't really share the ideology of the regime he serves even though he'll serve it loyally.

A lot of that is still showing in Rebels where he's the smartest imperial, except the only reason why he's allowed to seem so smart is because he doesn't have some micromanaging boss to get angry at him for not winning quickly, and he has the freedom to fail while fighting the rebels. Any other imperial officer who tried that would get thrown out an airlock.

But I think the worst rehabilitation of Thrawn I've read so far is that apparently the Chiss dealt with some Yuuzhan Vong scout groups, and when Palpatine recruited Thrawn, it was with the idea that the galaxy needed to be prepared to defend itself from the Vong, and that's a justification for the whole Empire. So when Thrawn tried to go kill the New Republic, that was apparently because he thought the New Republic was too weak and sentimental to be ready to fight the Vong.

yeah i think he worked a lot better in his original appearance where he's just a straight villain and the idea of an imperial who's not a cartoon villain was vaguely new. the whole "defend the galaxy against the Vong" retcon is at best kinda dumb but it's at its worst when people forget the empire was hilariously stupid and inefficient and probably would have gotten murdered even faster