Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Someone's trying REALLY hard to get Wanda to raise the dead. First with the dog, then the prompting to think about her brother.

Sidebar: The brother thing failed as apparently dead is dead in the MCU as evidenced by Black Widow and Tony Stark, for the time being. So, Wanda's powers did the next best thing and pulled Quicksilver from an adjacent dimension.

Back to the point, who is currently known as dead in the MCU and has people around with a vested interest in getting them back to the land of the living?

I'll have to think on that bit.

OH gently caress, I'VE SNIPED THE CRUELLEST SNIPE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Is Quiksilver supposed to sound like that? I've never actually most of the X-men movies post First Class

Sloth Life posted:

On a very superficial note, Bettany is made of legs and fills his trousers out nicely.

He was rocking some Dad Jeans for sure in this episode, made me laugh

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Gavok posted:

In addition to what's been stated, I've seen the idea that each commercial is linked to a different Infinity Stone.

Toaster: (forgot the explanation for this one)
Watch: Time Stone, natch
Soap: Space Stone due to resembling the Tesseract
Paper Towels: Reality Stone, as it's used to clean up a red liquid

The Paper Towels were named after the city from Civil War where Wanda and the Avengers kind of hosed up and had that explosion that killed people in the building. And the tagline for the towels something like, "For cleaning up the messes you didn't mean to make." So I don't think the commercials are supposed to be linked to the stones, but just revealing traumas in Wanda's past. Not sure how that links up with the soap one, though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If there is a big surprise coming later in the series I think it will be one of the following characters: Magneto (either version), Prof X (either version), MCU Doctor Doom, MCU Doctor Strange, Fox Wolverine, MCU Wonder Man, MCU Reed Richards, MCU Quicksilver (raised from the dead), or Tobey Spider-Man. I feel like expecting one of any of these characters is setting myself up for disappointment except for Strange.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Is Quiksilver supposed to sound like that? I've never actually most of the X-men movies post First Class

No, he's obviously a riff on Uncle Jesse from Full House.

I think the problem in the show is that Wanda has somehow been imbued with the powers of all of the Infinity Stones, whereas before she only wielded the power of the Mind Stone. So she might not be fully aware of what she's doing or how, only that it's happening and that she wants it to keep happening.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

The events of this show presumably take place before Spider-Man: Far From Home, right? Three weeks post-Unsnappening vs. a couple months? Also, presumably the mission/naming of S.W.O.R.D. changed based on five years of tinkering with Vision's corpse?

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Wonder who the engineer Monica was quick to call is.

thrawn527 posted:

The Paper Towels were named after the city from Civil War where Wanda and the Avengers kind of hosed up and had that explosion that killed people in the building. And the tagline for the towels something like, "For cleaning up the messes you didn't mean to make." So I don't think the commercials are supposed to be linked to the stones, but just revealing traumas in Wanda's past. Not sure how that links up with the soap one, though.

yeah, I just interpreted the red liquid as spilled blood.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

double negative posted:

Wonder who the engineer Monica was quick to call is.

If it's anyone already established, what engineers are left in the MCU? The kid from Iron Man 3?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That confrontation at the end there was fantastic. Probably the best part of the series so far. Paul Bettany knocked it out of the park.

Also enjoying the confirmation that this version of Vision is in some way real and not an illusion. I don't care if it's a lazy retcon I want him back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea when Monica says Wanda protected her so she didn't get hurt when she was tossed out of the Hex, its very possible Wanda's protection was giving Monica some kind of power. Hell, Wanda would have seen how much Monica as a kid idolized Carol and made her deepest wish to be just like Auntie Carol if that existed. Also Monica being clearly uncomfortable with Captain Marvel being mentioned is possibly because she went off into space, never came back, and clearly hasn't visited Monica post Blip. Without her mom and and Carol, the two people most important in her life are gone, one is dead, but the other looks like they just forgot about her. Though for all we know, Carol did come back and visit Maria during the Snapping Time, but Monica wouldn't know that.

And yes, 80s fashion was horrrrrrrrible. So many floral pattern things for women.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phylodox posted:

If it's anyone already established, what engineers are left in the MCU? The kid from Iron Man 3?

What engineer focused characters are there from the comics in general it could be? I assume its a new one to expand Monica's potential supporting cast.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
They brought back the wrong Quicksilver

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oasx posted:

:mods:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

tsob posted:

What engineer focused characters are there from the comics in general it could be? I assume its a new one to expand Monica's potential supporting cast.

If it's not an already established character, it could be Riri Williams, maybe? But, I dunno, something about the way Monica said it made me think it was setting up a pre-existing character. Was Bill Foster an engineer? He built Ghost her fancy chamber, but I think he was a bioengineer or something, wasn't he?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Spoilers for this episode, Vision asking Wanda where the kids are was the creepiest moment in the MCU so far I think (not a high bar tbf) and a very good question. Since I doubt they're going to have a character be responsible for a bunch of kids dying or disappearing, I wonder how they're gonna explain them coming back or whatever when this series ends.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thebardyspoon posted:

Spoilers for this episode, Vision asking Wanda where the kids are was the creepiest moment in the MCU so far I think (not a high bar tbf) and a very good question. Since I doubt they're going to have a character be responsible for a bunch of kids dying or disappearing, I wonder how they're gonna explain them coming back or whatever when this series ends.

Or come back as mutants. :tinfoil:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Firebert posted:

So MCU Monica Rambeau ...but her head is full of light...

Yeah, she's whiting out the X-Ray machine or whatever scanner it is, almost as if she's emitting broad-Spectrum radiation herself. poo poo, maybe beekeeper sewer guy wasn't Swarm before but is NOW. Westview could be a convenient little White Event/Big Bang/Global Terrigen Cloud excuse for a bunch of powered people.

If Monica's engineer is RR I will immediate completely lose all of my poo poo. Oh hell they're going to be SWORD, they're the 1/4 of the original astronauts that are still dumb enough to go up.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

thebardyspoon posted:

There's the casual mention of how hard is to control children. I think it was Agnes who said that. I'm guessing all the scared kids are hidding somewhere in the town

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

stev posted:

That confrontation at the end there was fantastic. Probably the best part of the series so far. Paul Bettany knocked it out of the park.

Also enjoying the confirmation that this version of Vision is in some way real and not an illusion. I don't care if it's a lazy retcon I want him back.

I think he's real too but still damaged somehow, like he's part robot, maybe that gets past the 'no bringing back the dead' but she cant fix his memories, just put the parts back together.

I thought Dr Strange was going to show up when the doorbell rang since his next movie is titled In the Multiverse of Madness and Wanda is in it, what a wild surprise. I wonder if they explore more about this Quicksilver's origins, more likely just stick to there's a Multiverse, it's real, and here's the lead in to the Dr Strange movie where some big bad is crossing over changing poo poo.

marhom
Jul 1, 2004

bear is driving

Klungar posted:

The events of this show presumably take place before Spider-Man: Far From Home, right? Three weeks post-Unsnappening vs. a couple months? Also, presumably the mission/naming of S.W.O.R.D. changed based on five years of tinkering with Vision's corpse?

I came in here to bring up this point - Far From Home is supposed to be ~8 months after; if we're talking the scale of weeks since the blip -> Monica to SWORD -> Monica inside the hex -> this ep, well (FFH spoilers in here too) we know there's a multiverse; if Pietro is actually *real* that means there might be something more to casting Simmons as JJJ (other than, you know, him being a great JJJ). Also gives a potentially weird spin on Strange being "unavailable" during FFH rather than just being a throwaway line to explain why one of the ridiculous-power-level people can't solve the problem

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oasx posted:

I strongly disagree. :colbert:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Speculation re: Monica's "friend": Talos' daughter?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

stev posted:

Or come back as mutants. :tinfoil:

Westview NJ is just close enough to Westchester NY that I'd believe it...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did they ever say that the people trapped in the bubble were actually from Westview? I got the sense that they were from all over Jersey, and Westview itself was construct?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

Spoiler from something I noticed in the previews
there are a bunch of kids running around trick or treating in the halloween episode so I think what happened to the town's kids will be solved within the next episode or two

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I interpreted the kids thing as that Wanda is aware on some level that she's doing something wrong in hostaging the town and the kids were kept out of it somehow

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
My working hypothesis about the kids missing: Monica makes a point of showing that the kevlar vest she was wearing on entry turned into her pants, the implication being that Wanda turns one thing into another in the Hex.

Then, later on, we get Vision asking very pointedly, where are all the other children? Why are we the only ones with kids?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Phylodox posted:

If it's not an already established character, it could be Riri Williams, maybe?

I would doubt that, simply because she starts her story by recreating Iron Man's armor and isn't really a known quantity before that. As well as probably being too young. She has her own show coming, so I'd assume she'll be introduced in that, or close to in in something like Ms. Marvel and not a few years out knowing random people twice or three times her age.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s where Wanda blows up the Embassy and starts the whole Civil War mess

Also the commercials are essentially going through Wanda's life events.

1. Stark Industries weapons were used in the Skovian war.
2. Strucker experiments on her giving her powers.
3. She joins Hydra.
4. Lagos kicks off the Civil War.

so my two theories are

1. The town is just Wanda's guilt made manifest.
2. If the rumors are true Mephisto needs Wanda to do something for her and is torturing her and Wanda is trying her best to put shine on the situation for the townsfolk.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

thrawn527 posted:

There's no reason it can't represent multiple things.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Did they ever say that the people trapped in the bubble were actually from Westview? I got the sense that they were from all over Jersey, and Westview itself was construct?

They pretty much say that Westview isa real place and that the residents of it are trapped. I'm not sure how many of the "actors" are from Westview though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I'm going back and watching the first few episodes and I'm noticing a few things that seem extra odd on a rewatch, I'm really looking forward to when I have more context so I can understand what all this stuff that may or may not be foreshadowing means.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Klungar posted:

Speculation re: Monica's "friend": Talos' daughter?

Maybe the person she's calling is someone fantastic?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh gently caress yes, the best X-man is back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NefSYpuIRoY

This show is giving me everything I want.

How does he go down steps super fast, you are limited by the speed of gravity when you move downwards, don't give me no speedforce baloney either

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Terror Sweat posted:

How does he go down steps super fast, you are limited by the speed of gravity when you move downwards, don't give me no speedforce baloney either

Subconscious secondary power that relates to control over gravity, but only in regards to how to effects him.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

him going down some steps is like the least insane thing in that scene, X-Men franchise Quicksilver is near godlike, which makes me wonder how his powers will be depicted in the MCU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh gently caress yes, the best X-man is back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NefSYpuIRoY

This show is giving me everything I want.

He filmed that scene over 17 days doing all his own stunts.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Do we know if MCU Dr. Strange has any passive telepathy resistance? Hawkeye, Selwig and whoever else acted to the extent of their capabilities when Mindstone'd by Loki; Wanda having Strange brainwacked in a basement somewhere doing the real magic could explain a lot

like as far as we know they haven't even met but baby I'm taking my shot

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

fine. Whenever you see that a witch did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Uh. Has someone else mention this? I'm looking at the posters and it seems spoiler just in case: Wanda is getting a new uniform? I did a double take because I remember her clothes in Avengers didn't look like that. Neither on this last episode.
Avengers: corset-thing, showing some cleavage, fingerless gloves,coat:

Posters: Corset thing with new design, breasts are fully covered, long gloves, belt(?):

Wonder if she'll get the full real-deal classic Scarlet Witch outfit:ohdear: