Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Alan_Shore posted:

... that's... literally what this season is about?

Sorry, I meant of the real world variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

... that's... literally what this season is about?

You cannot fight here. This is the war room.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Eren is nuts, lmao. 100% loco. But he's also aware of it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't know if he's crazy exactly but he does seem to lack the emotional aversion to killing other humans beings that most people have.

This is it, 100%.

He only ever hesitated against RBA because he was having to emotionally come to terms with their betrayal right on the spot. He feels so different this season because it's the first time we're seeing him kill not in passionate anger, but after having already had time to process what he was about to do.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Welp, I'm all caught up now after binging the entire series in the last 3 weeks and only now it dawned on me that I have to wait for new episodes, shiiiiiit.

What is the likelihood of them finishing the entire series in this season? I heard some speculations that the finale will be done as a movie or OVA or something

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

macabresca posted:

Welp, I'm all caught up now after binging the entire series in the last 3 weeks and only now it dawned on me that I have to wait for new episodes, shiiiiiit.

What is the likelihood of them finishing the entire series in this season? I heard some speculations that the finale will be done as a movie or OVA or something

If by this season, you mean in the next 8 episodes, 0% chance. There has to be a part 2, or movie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if they're going to end this season where I think they will, I can't fathom they could finish the rest of it in just one movie. it's gotta be a second cour. or two movies.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Ok. I'll hold on reading the manga until this season (part one or whatev) ends, then.

But boooy, it'll require a lot of self-control. I think this arc very well may be my favourite part of aot

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Waiting for Season 3, part 2 is what finally broke me and made me go read the manga. If there's a second cours or movie that comes out later this year, those manga sales are going to absolutely skyrocket.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

teagone posted:

Eren is nuts, lmao. 100% loco. But he's also aware of it.

What makes you think he's insane? Is Zeke insane in that case?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Yuuuup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bPX8M8JKNw

Rewatching it, the quote "this is what you get for being what you are" really stands out. These people are scum, but holy poo poo a 9 year old hatched a plan to kill people and had zero fear doing it. Basically this:

It's the difference between him and Jean, who still tried to kill Gabi but was intentionally shown as having a moment of doubt.

How often do we see Eren afraid for his own life? I feel like the little rage ball only feared for others dying around him, or dying for him (RIP Levi squad)

The moment that sold Eren's character to me is when he is lying armless in the titans stomach, sadness turning into vengeful rage. Most people getting eaten in AoT react in disbelief, calling out for their mother, while Eren swears to kill them all.

Guess that's why Sasha's death is the only thing to snap him out of his stoic melancholy. What others think of him, what he becomes, his suffering and now others, everything is justified to protect the people he cares for. But when his actions lead to the death of those he cares for, he still can't deal with it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

What makes you think he's insane? Is Zeke insane in that case?

Yeah, Zeke is nuts too! Lmao. Imagine being crazy enough to pull of the poo poo he's currently doing. But this is more of a semantics thing than anything imo. Regarding Eren, I believe anyone who lacks:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

[...] the emotional aversion to killing other humans beings that most people have.

...isn't quite normal. That disconcerting uniqueness makes him super dangerous and effective as a villain or warrior or whatever—however you want to look at him.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Eren reminds me a lot of Amos Burton from The Expanse. Like, he's not insane but very comfortable with violence. And holy hell if he threaten his "tribe"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

Eren reminds me a lot of Amos Burton from The Expanse. Like, he's not insane but very comfortable with violence. And holy hell if he threaten his "tribe"

I haven't seen much of the Expanse, but I've seen Amos compared to Mikazuki in Iron Blooded Orphans, and he and Eren are pretty different.

Eren's not normal, but he's mostly functional in society. He's angry, stubborn, bullheaded, dense, all that, but not to a degree where he's unable to interact like a normal person. Mika, meanwhile, has this massive void at the center of his character that makes him feel uncanny even when he's not strangling people with his bare hands.

Curious which is more Amos's line.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

chiasaur11 posted:

I haven't seen much of the Expanse, but I've seen Amos compared to Mikazuki in Iron Blooded Orphans, and he and Eren are pretty different.

Eren's not normal, but he's mostly functional in society. He's angry, stubborn, bullheaded, dense, all that, but not to a degree where he's unable to interact like a normal person. Mika, meanwhile, has this massive void at the center of his character that makes him feel uncanny even when he's not strangling people with his bare hands.

Amos is perfectly functional, personable even. He just has an extremely skewed moral compass due to his hosed up life and will go from a fairly polite, and even friendly person to snapping your neck like a twig at the drop of a hat if you become a threat to him or those he cares about. He relies on others to be his moral compass as a result, fully aware of the fact that something is wrong with him but compensating for it. He's probably a bit closer to Mika in that regard, but he's not some pile of seething rage like Eren is typically thought of.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was discussing the show with a friend earlier who had just caught up with the anime, and we both agreed Levi is queer coded... and then she linked me this just now:

Confirmation bias!!!! Levi has always been my favorite character; reading that made me squee and put a huge grin on my face lol

:allears:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, Amos is a lot like IBO's Mikazuki: they're fundamentally calm, even caring people who due their hosed up upbringing ended up with no reservations towards (and often lack the social skills to do little but) using violence against perceived threats to their in-group, and express little compassion once that switch is flipped. They're only borderline-functional individuals in a peaceful context, and look to people close to them as a compass, not fully trusting themselves.

OTOH Eren is very much his own man and a complete individual, raised in a loving environment and guided by his own strong sense of justice. He'd actually find the aforementioned characters to be quite creepy.

More than a lack of something, perhaps it'd be more accurate to say that there's a passion inside him that pushes him to act, overriding other concerns, when he sees things that threatens what which he cares for, be it the people he loves or his fundamental values.

And it all began when his new friend showed him a book, and young Eren realized for the first time that he was not free.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

teagone posted:

I was discussing the show with a friend earlier who had just caught up with the anime, and we both agreed Levi is queer coded... and then she linked me this just now:

Confirmation bias!!!! Levi has always been my favorite character; reading that made me squee and put a huge grin on my face lol

I read this as him being asexual rather than homosexual, tbh. Though really it's more like Levi is too married to his job to think about relationships. That's probably true of most people who joined the Survey Corps. It is, or was, a career with a near 100% chance of sudden, horrible, and untimely death, after all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Erwin was tall.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Erwin was tall.

Yuuuuuuuuup.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

teagone posted:

I have a very hard time not seeing Erwin and Levi in some sort of relationship, even if it's just "We're not going to talk about it because one or both of us are going to die horribly." That scene at the end of season 3 part 1where Levi threatens to break Erwin's legs. Oof.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MonsterEnvy posted:

Erwin was tall.

So was Hange, nonbinary (in the comics) icon :smug:

E: I'm 5'5". Everyone taller than me is tall, everyone shorter than me is short. That's just how it works :colbert:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 6, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pththya-lyi posted:

Hange is only 5'7, (Same as Eren before this season he is 6'0 now) Erwin was 6'2. Levi is 5'3.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

I have a very hard time not seeing Erwin and Levi in some sort of relationship, even if it's just "We're not going to talk about it because one or both of us are going to die horribly." That scene at the end of season 3 part 1where Levi threatens to break Erwin's legs. Oof.

:agreed:

Levi eventually relenting, and saying, "I'll trust your judgement." knowing full well he was enabling his doom...what a fiercely loyal companion he was to Erwin. I guess maybe that's a trend among the Ackermann family/bloodline? Seeing as how loyal Mikasa is to Eren.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Attack on LGBTitan

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I mean, we know Erwin didn't marry the woman he fell in love with (letting her get together with Nile) because the job came first. Relationships were for people who don't go on suicide missions on a regular basis.

Levi's relationship with Erwin, whatever it is, started as "I'm going to be the one who kills you", but by the end, if nothing else, they trusted each other more than anyone else.

(Also, the tallest non-titan in the anime is Yelena. It's sometimes hard to notice, but she's something like 6'7''.)

teagone posted:

:agreed:

Levi eventually relenting, and saying, "I'll trust your judgement." knowing full well he was enabling his doom...what a fiercely loyal companion he was to Erwin. I guess maybe that's a trend among the Ackermann family/bloodline? Seeing as how loyal Mikasa is to Eren.

Kenny and Uri had a similar dynamic. (And from his dialogue with Annie, we know that Kenny wasn't having sex with women.)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

Kenny and Uri had a similar dynamic. (And from his dialogue with Annie, we know that Kenny wasn't having sex with women.)

Haha, yeah I just remembered that after recognizing similarities in the relationships between Erwin/Levi and Eren/Mikasa. I like that dynamic—Ackermann folk are ride or die.

[edit]

quote:

(Also, the tallest non-titan in the anime is Yelena. It's sometimes hard to notice, but she's something like 6'7''.)

I'd be just as happy if Levi were bi :haw:

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 6, 2021

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

So, the Ackermanns. I don't have a whole lot of thoughts and hope other folks have some better ones.

1. Ymir kicks off the Age of Tirans
2. They (whoever that is) realize Eldians can be turned into titans by injecting them with serum
3. They try injecting other folks with serum to see what happens
4. I dunno what happens to them, maybe it's like Mitty in Made in Abyss
5. Except the Ackermanns, they get superpowers
6. ~Somehow~ it gets passed on to their kids, lots of handwaving here
7. In the right situation (life or death struggle?) something something lightning bolt, powers activate

Someone else please post a more detailed or coherent theory.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pththya-lyi posted:

E: I'm 5'5". Everyone taller than me is tall, everyone shorter than me is short. That's just how it works :colbert:

Hange likes tall people too. Specifically 6m and taller

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

stolen from Reddit

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The more I think about it the more I actually like the Marley warriors as characters honestly

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Maera Sior posted:

There was a time when novels could write about two dudes who went through some poo poo and came out appreciative of each other without it being gay, especially in a war setting. It's kind of like a deep friendship or a familial connection. Since the internet exploded, you can't write like that without everyone automatically thinking they're gay.

It's more likely Levi thought of Erwin as a father, since he didn't see much of a father figure in Kenny.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Freakazoid_ posted:

There was a time when novels could write about two dudes who went through some poo poo and came out appreciative of each other without it being gay, especially in a war setting. It's kind of like a deep friendship or a familial connection. Since the internet exploded, you can't write like that without everyone automatically thinking they're gay.

It's more likely Levi thought of Erwin as a father, since he didn't see much of a father figure in Kenny.

it's two guys in their 30's, I doubt Levi saw him as a father figure

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Gay is cool. Embrace the gay. :sparkles:

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Their relationship is intentionally vague enough that its open to any interpretation that suits your fancy. If you dont want it to be gay then its not gay, just dont freak out if people choose to interpret it differently

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Freakazoid_ posted:

There was a time when novels could write about two dudes who went through some poo poo and came out appreciative of each other without it being gay, especially in a war setting.

And then Homer wrote the Iliad.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

They're just cousins*, nothing gay to see here.

*In that horrible abortion of a movie.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Levi is my friend.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Greatest response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

You know I was going to write a snide comment and this post deserves it, but whatever. People have to do that because there's incredibly little on the market that features gay love, whereas deep male friendships and familial connections are absolutely everywhere. Sentiments like yours are so backwards and ignorant it genuinely makes me angry.