Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

I know you don't plan to publish, but I would totally buy this if you ever did! My one burning question is, what was Lucia making? My best guess is a vegetable casserole :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

A Small Car posted:

I know you don't plan to publish, but I would totally buy this if you ever did! My one burning question is, what was Lucia making? My best guess is a vegetable casserole :D

I just realized I left my readers hanging there! You’re basically right—it’s vegetable gratin. Super good.

And I’m so happy you’re enjoying this! I’ll probably stick it somewhere when it’s all done and organized, maybe AO3, maybe Royal Road. I hate Wattpad for various reasons, so not there. Then I’ll get started working on the sequel.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
A short bit tonight because I’m sick of looking at it. I really need to redo the chapter breaks after I get this edited.

newts fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 17, 2021

newts
Oct 10, 2012
OMG! Done! Thanks for reading, and for all of the helpful comments. I’ve got at least two more rounds of edits for this. After that, I might just call it officially done. I hope it wasn’t too terrible.

Yes, this epilogue thing is more of a placeholder than anything else. I struggle with endings. But, at the same time, I hate reading epilogues that drag on and on. Considering sending my characters farther into the future so I can end with a hook for the sequel, but I kind of like leaving them on the edge of something new.

I’ve got a couple big fixes to make (maybe tonight—got two exams to write so I can destroy my students, kidding!) and then I’ll put the whole thing up in one big Google doc.

newts fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 17, 2021

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

I loved it and look forward to reading the next one! It'll be interesting to go back and read the whole thing in one sitting, I've intentionally avoided re-reading previous chapters while the writing was ongoing. Well done!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you so much! I’m glad you liked it. I’ll link the whole thing soon.

It’ll be interesting for me to read it in one sitting, which I don’t feel like I’ve done yet. I’ve made a bunch of tweaks and fixed a big plot hole that no one noticed. I need to add that scene you suggested where Lucia screws everything up because she just wants to leave the NorthSide and get back. That was a great suggestion that fixed a dumb author problem by turning it into a dumb character problem. Then I’ll just sit and read it. Maybe I’ll still like it.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

newts posted:

Then I’ll just sit and read it. Maybe I’ll still like it.

First of all, congratulations! You're probably your own harshest critic. Here's a list of things that I liked to help counter that voice in your head:
  • Chapters 12-18 are noticeably better than the earlier chapters in terms of character, pacing, plot and prose. When reading these, it was quite easy for me to slip into reading mode, where I was just enjoying the story instead of mainly looking for things to critique. If you wanted critiques, I'm sure I could go find some, but I would have to make a dedicated effort to switch my brain over into critique mode.
  • The ending: for whatever reason, I had already pegged Jameson or Mac early on as the big bad, though I'd quickly dismissed Mac because he hardly ever appeared on screen. I'd have to go back at look at the early chapters to figure out why, but I'd chalk this one up to you getting your foreshadowing right
  • I found your setting intriguing enough to keep reading even though the pacing of the early chapters felt slow to me. I actually wanted more of the political stuff around the reconciliation vote than you had in the story!

A Small Car posted:

I loved it and look forward to reading the next one! It'll be interesting to go back and read the whole thing in one sitting, I've intentionally avoided re-reading previous chapters while the writing was ongoing. Well done!

:same:

newts posted:

fixed a dumb author problem by turning it into a dumb character problem.

This is my main learning from your thread!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you! Your comments were very helpful. I’m going to take a closer look at how I can make those first chapters more dynamic. I’m glad my foreshadowing worked. I think there are only, like, six characters so how could it not? I actually had Dr. Chen as the original big bad, but I ended up liking her too much. And I didn’t feel like introducing a new ME in the sequel (lazy author syndrome).

Leng posted:

This is my main learning from your thread!

That was all A Small Car, but, yeah. I’m going to use that a lot because I’m never going to get past the dumb author issue.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Here’s the whole thing, after another round of beta comments and a few tweaks. No major changes, but I think it’s a little better.

[removed link]

You guys were awesome, thanks! Don’t think I could’ve got this done without your help (and thanks, silent readers, too). I’m pretty proud of myself. That’s one life goal down. Now, I just need to learn a language...

newts fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 17, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Nice job! I look forward to reading the whole thing in full. Will leave you any line level suggestions/comments in doc (which, as always, feel free to take or leave). Congrats again!

If you want to turn this into an actual ebook, there's a download to epub option from Google Docs directly but I don't know how well that plays with eReaders, since my experience with the Google Docs epub formatting wasn't great. I did a write up here on making an epub with Calibre and its plugins if you're interested/want to tinker with the epub that Google Docs spits out - since you have it all in one doc you could just use Calibre's built in ebook editor without needing to install plugins.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Leng posted:

Nice job! I look forward to reading the whole thing in full. Will leave you any line level suggestions/comments in doc (which, as always, feel free to take or leave). Congrats again!

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I was planning to let this sit for a week and do more tinkering, so these will come in handy.

quote:

If you want to turn this into an actual ebook, there's a download to epub option from Google Docs directly but I don't know how well that plays with eReaders, since my experience with the Google Docs epub formatting wasn't great. I did a write up here on making an epub with Calibre and its plugins if you're interested/want to tinker with the epub that Google Docs spits out - since you have it all in one doc you could just use Calibre's built in ebook editor without needing to install plugins.

Also, thanks for this. I was thinking about going through the whole self-publishing thing and just throwing this up on Amazon for the experience alone. “It will be fun,” she said. But, yeah, I have no idea where to start or anything.

Also, you’ve helped me out a lot and I always offer my beta readers something in return. I’m decent at crits. Or, I’m also a published artist. I can’t do cover design because I suck at all things graphic design. But I can do artwork for whatever, or as part of a cover. I’ve even done paid work for a pretty big author who shall not be named. I’ve got some work up here: https://bluefootedb.tumblr.com/

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

newts posted:

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to do that. I was planning to let this sit for a week and do more tinkering, so these will come in handy.

This week is a bit crazy for me, so I've only done comments up to Chapter 4. Some are on an anonymous account because I was working from a different laptop.

newts posted:

I’ve got some work up here: https://bluefootedb.tumblr.com/

:aaaaa: this is top notch amazing stuff. I'm working on a very different type of creative project and would love to get your thoughts on that. I can see you don't have PMs but you can reach me on the gmail account I'm using to comment on your Google doc.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Leng posted:

This week is a bit crazy for me, so I've only done comments up to Chapter 4. Some are on an anonymous account because I was working from a different laptop.

You’re doing an incredibly awesome job! Thank you so much for taking the time.

quote:

:aaaaa: this is top notch amazing stuff. I'm working on a very different type of creative project and would love to get your thoughts on that. I can see you don't have PMs but you can reach me on the gmail account I'm using to comment on your Google doc.

Ha, thanks! Sure, I can take a look and try to give an opinion. Although, I’m pretty much useless unless I’m critiquing fiction or biology. This week and the next are going to be hell because of work, but I’ll reach out to you after that.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
So, I’ve decided to try the publishing thing just to try it. Learning experience, etc... I think I will hold off until the sequel is ready, which is going well so far. I can write fast when I’m procrastinating on other things.

I made a couple of covers. Actually, I made a bunch of covers, but most of them suck a lot more than these. I am really loving terrible at graphic design and picking fonts. It’s also hard for me to follow genre conventions when I’m not exactly sure what my genre is. That’s my fault, btw, mostly because there isn’t a traditional romance in the story. Not yet, anyway.

But if you search for ‘paranormal mystery’ you get a lot of hot, naked guys, because romance is assumed, or cozy covers with sexy witches and cats. ‘Psychic detective/mystery’ is a little closer, covers are generic mystery/thriller things—spooky setting, color-tinted usually to red or blue. And then you get the more literary covers for the more literary books, like The City & The City.

My take on a generic mystery cover (no one in the story wears a hat, so I’ll need to find a better picture):

Artsy-fartsy cover:

Meanwhile, editing is hell and I hate it. I’ve had some beta readers take a look and the comments have been really helpful. I just... don’t want to look at the book for a while.

Leng, I can’t seem to send you an email from Google docs—the link is there, but it’s not working for me. But I can take a look at your project if you want. Can’t guarantee I’ll be any help, though.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

For what it's worth, I prefer the second cover, largely because it pulls something that was actually in the story itself with the bee. I'm throwing out whatever random crap knocks around in my head at this point, but what about doing a cover where you see the split city, and the nocturnum side all lit up, and the bee has been turned into a constellation? Or is that just dumb?

I will eventually get around to going through the complete story, things have just been pure chaos here lately, sorry about that!

newts
Oct 10, 2012

A Small Car posted:

For what it's worth, I prefer the second cover, largely because it pulls something that was actually in the story itself with the bee. I'm throwing out whatever random crap knocks around in my head at this point, but what about doing a cover where you see the split city, and the nocturnum side all lit up, and the bee has been turned into a constellation? Or is that just dumb?

No, it’s a good idea. And I like the second one better, too—just not sure it’s following the genre conventions or will get people to look at the book.

I’m terrible at covers. I’m terrible at fonts. I just suck at graphic design in general, so I have no idea what I’m doing. I’m not going to pay anyone to make me a cover, so it will have to be something I throw together. Ugh.

quote:

I will eventually get around to going through the complete story, things have just been pure chaos here lately, sorry about that!

No worries. It’s just sitting there. Sometimes I poke at it and change a few words. I’m going to finish the sequel and then go back and make some bigger edits.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

A Small Car posted:

:same: and also that is an awesome idea.

newts posted:

I just suck at graphic design in general, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not going to pay anyone to make me a cover, so it will have to be something I throw together. Ugh.

I'd suggest playing to your strengths. The artwork you linked is amazing–what if your cover had more illustrated elements? I think as long as you get the right tone promises across in the cover you'll be ok.

newts posted:

Leng, I can't seem to send you an email from Google docs

All good! The email is "<my SA username>sa<my SA userid>" AT gmail DOT com - let me know if that works, as I can't find an email/contact for you on your tumblr and Google won't let me email you from Docs either. :)

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Leng posted:

I'd suggest playing to your strengths. The artwork you linked is amazing–what if your cover had more illustrated elements? I think as long as you get the right tone promises across in the cover you'll be ok.

Agreed, this is an excellent idea! I don't know where you live or how comfortable you'd feel doing this, but what about wandering around where you live at night taking pictures/sketching/whatever, things that you think capture what you want on the cover, and then just drawing your whole cover based off of that?

newts
Oct 10, 2012

A Small Car posted:

Agreed, this is an excellent idea! I don't know where you live or how comfortable you'd feel doing this, but what about wandering around where you live at night taking pictures/sketching/whatever, things that you think capture what you want on the cover, and then just drawing your whole cover based off of that?

Thanks to both of you!

I would draw my own cover, but... I was trying to do the self-publishing thing and everyone says make sure your cover follows genre conventions. And, well, illustrated covers do not fit with any of the possible genres this book might fit in. Also, I’m way behind on commissions and don’t have much time to do something personal right now.

But, I might tinker around a bit. The face silhouette on the second cover was drawn. I’m terrible at buildings, tech, cars, anything non-organic. So, a city setting is hard for me. I’ll give it a shot, though.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
This thread is pretty much my writing diary now, so I get to write whatever I want :colbert:

Started writing the sequel to this. I had a plot for it all laid out, got bored with it, got a great idea in the shower, and changed a bunch of stuff, and now I’m happy again. It won’t be ready to share for a long time, but it’s fun to start a new thing. (Also, I always write the good parts first.)

Anyway, writing a sequel is a little like watching season 2 of your favorite show: the sets are all slightly different, the actors are older, and they’ve got new haircuts. I find it a little hard to get in the groove, especially because I’m writing it from Sam’s POV. He’s a really different character than Lucia, plus he’s got, like, an extra sense, which is hard to keep in mind all the time while writing.

I have also not decided if my main characters get together or not. One of my beta readers was super disappointed that did not happen, and was angry at the teasing. They have a point. I love a good tease, but not everyone does. Maybe I’m just weird, and I’m indulging in my unresolved sexual tension fetish. But now I need to make a decision. It gives me angst.

I’m going to work on this book for a little while, then go back and do another edit of the first one. I’ve already made a few kind of major worldbuilding decisions and I’d like the books to be unified on that front. Like, I’ve now decided they mostly drive electric cars, and use a lot of wind and wave power. Also, there’s a big wall around the whole city and the area outside is very sparsely populated. I need to think more about Canada, too, and what those evil jerks are doing up there. The first book needed more bizarre details anyway, but they have to make sense. I don’t want to write myself into a corner and have to backtrack later. Plus there’s the whole ‘do they or don’t they’ thing.

One thing that’s become obvious is that the new book will have to have a lot of telepathy (duh!) which is going to be italicized. But also texts, which I’ve also italicized. I will go back through the first book and make sure I don’t have italics for random thoughts, unless they’re ‘out loud’ thoughts, which I remember there was some debate about in this thread before. Ugh. I just have to keep it consistent.

Here’s part of the first chapter (or what will probably be the first chapter unless I change something). Just wondering if the combo of italics for both text and telepathy works, or if it’s too confusing. I think it’s fine, and I think I’ve made it obvious, but I know what’s happening. Yes, it sucks and is boring right now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/156zVqCizNbaxs1wfLdFxeIXtgUQpsIizKDCr1jyIR5Y/edit

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Yay, a sequel! I'm so happy that you've kept writing. And I love the switch in POVs as well. Good choice!

newts posted:

One thing that’s become obvious is that the new book will have to have a lot of telepathy (duh!) which is going to be italicized. But also texts, which I’ve also italicized. I will go back through the first book and make sure I don’t have italics for random thoughts, unless they’re ‘out loud’ thoughts, which I remember there was some debate about in this thread before. Ugh. I just have to keep it consistent.

Here’s part of the first chapter (or what will probably be the first chapter unless I change something). Just wondering if the combo of italics for both text and telepathy works, or if it’s too confusing. I think it’s fine, and I think I’ve made it obvious, but I know what’s happening. Yes, it sucks and is boring right now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/156zVqCizNbaxs1wfLdFxeIXtgUQpsIizKDCr1jyIR5Y/edit

Don't be so harsh on yourself; this chapter picked up the sequel at a good point for me. The conclusion on the first one was quite short so it's nice to see how things are settling in.

On the italics thing, I used italics both for deliberate internal thoughts as well as telepathy in my NaNoWriMo project, which seemed to work fine. For texts, I've seen other strategies like using a different font. Sanderson uses italicized small caps in cases of special mental communications. You could also play around with indents, etc: https://cmosshoptalk.com/2020/03/10/formatting-text-messages-in-fiction/ and https://www.artfuleditor.com/blog/2019/6/12/how-to-use-modern-tech-in-your-novel

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Re: italics. I did look through your Nano project and noticed you used them for both regular and magic thoughts. I didn’t have a problem with it. Maybe I should just trust my readers? Because they are smart and know how to read poo poo?

Hmm, good thought on a different font for texts. I’m wondering, though, how that will work with ebooks? I’m trying to keep the formatting as simple as possible because I have no technical ability at all to troubleshoot formatting issues. I always thought readers could change the font of ebooks? Never tried it myself—only changed the font size because my eyes suck. I will have to read about it.

drat, I’m sick of reading about self-publishing.

Thanks for sticking around. It’s great to get an outside opinion on stuff. And, yeah, I’m pretty much always writing. Usually it’s terrible, smutty fan fiction :pervert: but I can behave myself occasionally and write something that’s more fit for consumption by decent human beings.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

newts posted:

Re: italics. I did look through your Nano project and noticed you used them for both regular and magic thoughts. I didn’t have a problem with it. Maybe I should just trust my readers? Because they are smart and know how to read poo poo?

Once you set up the convention early on and your readers know what to expect, I think most people will be able to infer which it is from context. I made a point of using different dialogue tags for telepathy (e.g. "sent" instead of "said" or making a note that a character would relax a mental shield first before the mental communication happened, or that a different character's voice was sounding in someone's head, etc) vs internal thoughts (which usually got something like "decided" or just "thought" or it was in a paragraph that consisted solely of introspection and nothing else).

newts posted:

Hmm, good thought on a different font for texts. I’m wondering, though, how that will work with ebooks? I’m trying to keep the formatting as simple as possible because I have no technical ability at all to troubleshoot formatting issues. I always thought readers could change the font of ebooks? Never tried it myself—only changed the font size because my eyes suck. I will have to read about it.

The way I understand ebook files is they're basically packaged up HTML and CSS files. Any e-reader software is basically a kind of web browser that interprets the fonts. The way CSS styling works, more specific rules trump more general rules. Some e-readers (Kobo, Nook) will allow a reader to substitute the e-reader's stylesheet instead of the one that comes with the book for fonts, etc.

See: https://ebooks.stackexchange.com/questions/864/can-custom-fonts-be-embedded-in-mobi-or-epub-books-targeting-eink-readers

If you really want to make sure the readers can't do anything, see this: https://www.thebookdesigner.com/2019/03/fun-with-fonts-getting-ebook-typefaces-right/

But it's generally more trouble than it's worth.

What you CAN do, is specify the font-type of texts to be a different one to the font-type of all your other text (e.g. maybe everything is in sans serif except texts which are serif or monospaced fonts). This won't help if the reader is very particular about how they like to read their ebooks, but they'll be a minority.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

newts posted:

Personally, I've got no issue with how you have things set up now, and it's clear to me what's a text and what's telepathy, so if that makes things easier from a publishing/ebook standpoint, I think just go with it.

I'll second the sentiment that I'm very glad to see a sequel! It may be short so far, but I'm still finding myself drawn in. As always, I look forward to reading more!

newts
Oct 10, 2012

A Small Car posted:

Personally, I've got no issue with how you have things set up now, and it's clear to me what's a text and what's telepathy, so if that makes things easier from a publishing/ebook standpoint, I think just go with it.

I'll second the sentiment that I'm very glad to see a sequel! It may be short so far, but I'm still finding myself drawn in. As always, I look forward to reading more!

Thanks! I’ve actually got about 20,000 words so far, but it’s a big mess of random scenes right now. I’ll start posting chapters here once I’ve finished a 2nd draft. Work is killing me and I don’t get a lot of free time to write lately, but it shouldn’t be too long.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Dear writing diary,

Writing going well now that I’ve worked out some plot kinks. I now know more than I ever wanted to know about both fishing boats and oyster farming.

An issue that bothered me while I was writing the first book has come up again, and I think I might be forced to confront it before I can move on. I know it’s generally in bad taste to depict a bisexual character as sexually promiscuous, or having relationships with multiple people. As a bisexual person, myself, I know it’s an issue in media, but—to be honest—not one that has ever bothered me much because I honestly don’t see it a lot in the media I consume. Still, I know why it’s problematic because, duh.

So, yeah. My bisexual character is implied to have lots of casual relationships, sometimes simultaneously. I’m basically writing the trope. Which, ugh... But!

He’s constantly seeking a connection because he’s terrified of the emotional intimacy that comes with relationships and afraid of losing his identity in the process because he’s an empath and blah, blah, blah. Casual relationships are ‘safe’ because they’re casual. He can’t get attached. Or be controlled. I mean, I think it’s clear from the narrative that he’s not a stereotypical sex-crazed maniac. He enjoys sex, and likes to have sex. He uses it sometimes as a distraction, or to disarm. He tries never to be a dick about it, or mislead anyone.

And!

Polyamorous relationships are the norm for his species, basically. Which he is also terrified of because then he’d be at the mercy of multiple people at once, etc, but it’s like the family ideal or adult life goals which are hard to get away from. Also, ‘bisexual’ is not really a thing for them, it’s just kind of one of three defaults: people who like men, people who like women, people who like both.

I’m debating whether any of that matters in the end. Am I still just perpetuating a stereotype?

newts
Oct 10, 2012
:supaburn: I’m ready to start posting the sequel! The Night People :supaburn:

This is the second-ish, or third-ish draft of what is roughly part one of four, based on my work so far. I’ll post chapters as I clean them up, just like before. Any crits and comments, as harsh as you like, are welcome. God knows I need it.

Chapter 1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15T6EUsnX0gfTNLMJcmYh0upOsaCTH1enDa92jumHJ8c/edit

Warnings for briefly referenced child sexual abuse, murder, bad language, terrible writing

newts fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 1, 2021

newts
Oct 10, 2012
These are not my final chapter breaks, but... whatever. They work for now.

Chapter 2: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16KbtTLv2d18MeNcBFa_qfN6kJYctHMfM8L-yAOsDBV4/edit

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m having so much fun writing my characters as friends, rather than strangers. It feels a little like writing fanfic of my first book. Weird, but fun. They still have a zillion issues, but they’re new issues.

In other news, I hate exposition so much, both reading and writing it. I’m struggling here with what to include from the first book to keep readers informed and how to deliver it. I think it might come down to needing to see the whole thing finished and do a specific edit for it, mostly to make sure I don’t repeat stuff that’s already been introduced.

newts fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 13, 2021

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

newts posted:

:supaburn: I’m ready to start posting the sequel! The Night People :supaburn:

This is the second-ish, or third-ish draft of what is roughly part one of four, based on my work so far. I’ll post chapters as I clean them up, just like before. Any crits and comments, as harsh as you like, are welcome. God knows I need it.

Chapter 1: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15T6EUsnX0gfTNLMJcmYh0upOsaCTH1enDa92jumHJ8c/edit

Warnings for briefly referenced child sexual abuse, murder, bad language, terrible writing

Yay! A sequel! Sorry for the delay, have only just gotten around to looking at the first chapter. I like it a lot! You've worked hard on making Sam's POV feel distinct to Lucia's, particularly with how his psy abilities allow him to perceive more. I look forward to working my way through the rest.

Also I finally logged into my SA throwaway email so now I have your email! The project I was gonna get you to look at is wrapped up, so I think I'll take up your offer for the next one later this year.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Leng posted:

Yay! A sequel! Sorry for the delay, have only just gotten around to looking at the first chapter. I like it a lot! You've worked hard on making Sam's POV feel distinct to Lucia's, particularly with how his psy abilities allow him to perceive more. I look forward to working my way through the rest.

Also I finally logged into my SA throwaway email so now I have your email! The project I was gonna get you to look at is wrapped up, so I think I'll take up your offer for the next one later this year.

Thanks so much for all of your incredibly helpful and detailed comments! And, yeah, hit me up anytime. I owe you... something. A lot, actually. I’m much, much less busy and less scatterbrained in the summer.

And, yep, Sam is fun to write. I was pretty stressed about writing him because he doesn’t think in long strings of curse words like I do, but I’m glad it’s working so far. It’s also been hard, but interesting writing someone with an extra sense, and sometimes difficult to keep track of.

Chapter 3: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16xDjejsEp2FEmWXQLiSNeUfu1KsuOw35SKdDQ4U731A/edit

Warnings for implied m/m sex

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Oh, look—something actually happens!

Chapter 4: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19S0BILJNTFlht01CTlRdsGTXr4RrUEhj5-6uuPtFjOA/edit

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Chapter 5: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A_IxlXVwj8KlpRV_iC2Xp_1DCuxox3T03weR0657qco/edit

Warnings for sexual harassment, referenced sexual act, references to prostitution

I will have to slow down now because part 2 of this thing needs a major plot overhaul. I switched something up in later parts and then never went back to change it because sometimes just writing through is the best option. It’ll be easy, just time-consuming.

newts fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 13, 2021

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

First, yay new story!!! I should have popped in here to check sooner, I'm very excited, and have loved what I've read so far. To that end, both chapter 2 and 3 link me to the same thing, is that correct? And chapter 4 gives me "Access Denied" and wants me to request access. I've got no problem doing so, just wanted to make sure that was intentional first.

It's not the easiest to read (and I'm sure not the easiest to write), but I'm looking forward to getting more of Sam's backstory, he's an interesting character and I'm enjoying seeing him let down his guard with Lucia even though he's still unsure about that all. I swear one of these days I'll actually make comments in the documents

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Sorry, not sure why things were all screwed up. It should be fixed now. And, thanks for reading! Don’t worry about leaving comments in the docs—just general comments help me a ton.

Ugh, I’m stuck on this plot dilemma right now and it’s driving me crazy that I can’t spend the time to just sit down and figure it out. I’ve got final exams to grade!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
All caught up to Chapter 5! Your writing is improving a lot–chapters 3, 4 and 5 were all solid for me and I'm hooked. Poor Sam. :smith:

(you might want to check your sharing permissions though...the docs are defaulting to "Editing" instead of "Commenting")

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Leng posted:

All caught up to Chapter 5! Your writing is improving a lot–chapters 3, 4 and 5 were all solid for me and I'm hooked. Poor Sam. :smith:

(you might want to check your sharing permissions though...the docs are defaulting to "Editing" instead of "Commenting")

Thanks so much for all the great feedback! Is it weird that I actually feel the opposite? Like my writing is getting worse? Probably just one of those ‘the more you think about something, the less you realize you know’ sorts of things. And, yeah, poor Sam. But I need my characters to suffer for my amusement.

Not sure what’s going on with the document permissions, though. Had the same problem with some work things, too. I’ll go check through them and make sure one more time, but I swear I had them on ‘commenting’ just last week.

In more general news: work was hell, but now it’s over (for a few days), so I’m writing again.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
At a guess, it could just be settling into writing from the POV of a different character or having to set up the dominos for a sequel, which is simultaneously easier and harder than writing the original. You've got established characters and a world, so that's the easy part, but the hard part is building out the world and not contradicting yourself on previous canon and not repeating yourself either. But when done well, the payoff is really good! So it's no wonder that you feel the opposite, it's a lot harder to construct a sequel that stands on its own as well.

Cassandra Clare might not be the most highly regarded, but I thought her Shadowhunters world was a prime example where the first series was the richest and best plotted, and then the other spin-off series felt progressively less and less original, particularly when she started doing collaborations with other authors and not writing them herself. The latest spin-off, The Eldest Curses, not only has prose that isn't even up to par, but also heavily recycles plot elements that were huge emotional points in the original series, to the point where I was giving the book massive eye rolls on my read through.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Leng posted:

At a guess, it could just be settling into writing from the POV of a different character or having to set up the dominos for a sequel, which is simultaneously easier and harder than writing the original. You've got established characters and a world, so that's the easy part, but the hard part is building out the world and not contradicting yourself on previous canon and not repeating yourself either. But when done well, the payoff is really good! So it's no wonder that you feel the opposite, it's a lot harder to construct a sequel that stands on its own as well.

Yeah, I feel that. I think it’s the world building and the details that go along with that which I feel are lacking right now. My prose feels ‘thin’, if that makes sense. In the first book, too. I need to go back again to the first one and add more stuff. I’m hoping that will help. The key is finding a way to fit that detail in without infodumping. Lucia is not going to be thinking about poo poo that is absolutely normal to her, so introducing it is difficult.

Was reading The City & The City again. There’s a ton of great detail (maybe too much) which flows well and works in context. Still hate the lack of connection with the characters, though. But that’s been a problem with all of Mieville’s work for me.

quote:

Cassandra Clare might not be the most highly regarded, but I thought her Shadowhunters world was a prime example where the first series was the richest and best plotted, and then the other spin-off series felt progressively less and less original, particularly when she started doing collaborations with other authors and not writing them herself. The latest spin-off, The Eldest Curses, not only has prose that isn't even up to par, but also heavily recycles plot elements that were huge emotional points in the original series, to the point where I was giving the book massive eye rolls on my read through.

I admit I haven’t read these books (despite doing illustration work for the author). They’re not really my thing. But I think you could say the same about a lot of series which have a ton of books. Especially if they come out really, really fast. Coming up with a good, interesting plot (and arcs for characters to go through) has got to be the hardest part once you get past 4 books or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

newts posted:

The key is finding a way to fit that detail in without infodumping. Lucia is not going to be thinking about poo poo that is absolutely normal to her, so introducing it is difficult.
Yeah, you're basically reliant on Lucia's observations in a crime scene (where you can get across the information about what's normal because she's contrasting it with something that doesn't look normal because she's at a crime scene), or dialogue/action from other characters, though you could go out there with experimenting extracts from press articles, etc though it depends if that's your thing.

newts posted:

I admit I haven’t read these books (despite doing illustration work for the author).
I THOUGHT I recognized your art style! I'm pretty sure I could pick your stuff out of the line up of other art she's had done for her books.