Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah I agree, but it is interesting she has/is allowed more recognition of things not being as they seem.

It's also really interesting Herb also has an advanced awareness (he knew something was up with Monica and talking with Agnes about it in episode 3) but we haven't seen him since.

I also want to say again Dottie has been the only one who has been outright hostile towards Wanda, and as far as we know like Agnes has no in real life counterpart yet. I don't know something about Dottie strikes me as special, I don't know why.

Mr. Hart was hostile as well, but he was quickly punished for it after questioning them. I guess people come in and partially out of it. There's also the doctor that was planning to escape, he seemed partially aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Herb was obviously very confused what with the cutting through the fence bit. That felt like something being wrong confusing him and breaking the control a little. Where Agnes was just chilling and speaking about the problem very clearly.

That's the thing. Other characters have had moments where the break the control or have moments of confusion or clarity but Agnes has just always seemed aware of the nature of things. She definitely seems scared but she also seems like she's encouraging the whole sitcom nature of the delusion/fantasy/whatever. I felt like that's why she became concerned during the birthing episode, because things were going off script. And it led to Wanda remembering Pietro and Monica breaking the illusion and stuff starting to fall out of control.

That feels to me like Agnes is "middle management." She's not the bad guy behind all his but she is somehow who understands the nature of things more than Wanda does but is still a bit of a prisoner of all this. That feels right to me with the Agatha Harkness as a witch making a deal with Mephisto theory but I could be seeing what I want to see.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think if Strange shows up at all it'll be as an after-credits thing in the last episode once Wanda's been taken into custody. He'll show up, go "Excuse me, I think I can handle this," and whisk her away before anyone can blink. Then, in Multiverse of Madness Wanda will be Strange's prisoner/protege.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Other random bits I liked:

Jimmy Woo actually trying to "work the problem." Instead of you know trying to kill Wanda.
Hex as a nod to her comic powers.
Great acting chops at the end by Paul Bettany and Elisabeth Olsen.
Elizabeth Hahn's acting and 80s work out gear.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
With the way the acting head of SWORD was asking relatively forcefully about if Wanda has ever had a codename or callsign, it makes me think he's an imposter or possibly from another universe where she is known as the Scarlet Witch. It also makes me wonder if they'll finally give her the moniker. I can't recall if she was ever referred to as a Witch in AOU but I don't think she was.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Desperado Bones posted:

Mr. Hart was hostile as well, but he was quickly punished for it after questioning them. I guess people come in and partially out of it. There's also the doctor that was planning to escape, he seemed partially aware.

Yeah, I can buy the level of awareness for everyone ebbs and flows.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Other random bits I liked:

Jimmy Woo actually trying to "work the problem." Instead of you know trying to kill Wanda.
Hex as a nod to her comic powers.
Great acting chops at the end by Paul Bettany and Elisabeth Olsen.
Elizabeth Hahn's acting and 80s work out gear.
Hahn is a treasure.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

If I were Mojo, bringing in a special guest star to pump up the ratings would make a lot of sense. Also helps keep those pesky players distracted, and sticking to the drat script.
Honestly, you just cant get good X-Men for your shows, these days.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So one thing that I haven't seen brought up: Pietro asks who the Popsicle is when he looks at Vision. To me that means that Pietro can tell that Vision is dead. I don't think he's someone like Mephisto masquerading as Pietro, because then he'd just be the MCU version. I think Wanda tried to bring Pietro back to life, but instead she pulled over the Fox version. Since he's from a different reality, he can see things as Wanda sees them.

Also my theory on the whole thing:

Wanda did go free Vision after learning what happened to his body. Because it's hosed up what they were doing to him. Then after rescuing him, she was overcome with grief because she couldn't bring him back to life. Now this is where the main villain comes in. Finding Wanda in her moment of weakness, the baddie says that he can help her bring Vision back and give her a perfect life. So they're living in a perfect dream world, right? So my guess is Nightmare is the one that manipulated Wanda and her reality bending powers to make Westview a reality. It's why she also can't remember how it started. I think this version of Nightmare is feeding off the grief and fear that the townspeople feel underneath the surface.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The costume design remains on point here. Everything looked 80s as gently caress and it was super cool

the floating argument between Wanda and Vision was some A+++ acting. Vision's anxiety bursting was really well done. We also know now why Vision signed on to the Accords in the first place when his Ultron characterization might have suggested otherwise.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AngryBooch posted:

With the way the acting head of SWORD was asking relatively forcefully about if Wanda has ever had a codename or callsign, it makes me think he's an imposter or possibly from another universe where she is known as the Scarlet Witch. It also makes me wonder if they'll finally give her the moniker. I can't recall if she was ever referred to as a Witch in AOU but I don't think she was.

I read that as Hayward just being a dick to Jimmy some more, belittling him and his interest in superheroes. "Oh, does your favourite hero have a special name? What's her power rating? Wanna show us her trading card?"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Codependent Poster posted:

So one thing that I haven't seen brought up: Pietro asks who the Popsicle is when he looks at Vision. To me that means that Pietro can tell that Vision is dead. I don't think he's someone like Mephisto masquerading as Pietro, because then he'd just be the MCU version. I think Wanda tried to bring Pietro back to life, but instead she pulled over the Fox version. Since he's from a different reality, he can see things as Wanda sees them.

Also my theory on the whole thing:

Wanda did go free Vision after learning what happened to his body. Because it's hosed up what they were doing to him. Then after rescuing him, she was overcome with grief because she couldn't bring him back to life. Now this is where the main villain comes in. Finding Wanda in her moment of weakness, the baddie says that he can help her bring Vision back and give her a perfect life. So they're living in a perfect dream world, right? So my guess is Nightmare is the one that manipulated Wanda and her reality bending powers to make Westview a reality. It's why she also can't remember how it started. I think this version of Nightmare is feeding off the grief and fear that the townspeople feel underneath the surface.
I think Pietro said that because Vision does look like a fruity popsicle with his color scheme

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I read that as Hayward just being a dick to Jimmy some more, belittling him and his interest in superheroes. "Oh, does your favourite hero have a special name? What's her power rating? Wanna show us her trading card?"

Extremely weird thing for him to get aggro about considering his ex-boss was an Air Force pilot with the callsign Photon but he could just be a dick.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AngryBooch posted:

Extremely weird thing for him to get aggro about considering his ex-boss was an Air Force pilot with the callsign Photon but he could just be a dick.

I mean, we already know he's kind of a dick to Jimmy with the "Someone must miss you at Quantico" snipe.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I thought it was weird when Darcy is calling Hayward a dick and it cuts to him saying "terrorist"; last week I thought he was just a dude in charge, but now I think there's more to him (but nothing supernatural)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So I'm thinking that this show is how X-men are going to be introduced into the main universe. Basically, a reverse No More Mutants

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

AngryBooch posted:

Tony calls her "that little witch" when hulkbustering the hulk, but in that Tony Stark kind of way

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'd like to take a moment to appreciate how well Asif Ali did the jackknifing between distress and oblivious sitcom chum when Vision let him back into the hex.

Also it's impressive how Vision's workplace really seems to be the same set as from the 50's episode, but entirely appropriate for the age. The house interior as well, it will be interesting to see if the cavernous layout of what is clearly a sitcom set will be replaced with something that looks more realistic by the time they hit the 2000s, especially the ridiculously high-ceilinged kitchen.

It looks like it won't happen, but I still want Hahn to be Liv Octavius. I guess Mephisto makes sense and she seems to not be affected quite the same as people like Herb and Norm, but also doesn't seem so powerful or in control. There's just something in how she asked Wanda "You can do that?", which seems like something Mephisto would know going in.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So I'm thinking that this show is how X-men are going to be introduced into the main universe. Basically, a reverse No More Mutants

Ah, they screwed this all up:

No, More Mutants!

It would be great if Wanda enacts a fold-in of the Fox continuity next episode, it would let them be nineties as gently caress about it! Although it robs Deadpool 3 of the jokes about migrating between continuities without explanation in a way only Wade is aware of. But with that said, dropping Wade into Westview with his forth-wall-vision could be a fun exercise for an episode.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 6, 2021

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
E: Not edit, whoops.

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like Herb was obviously very confused what with the cutting through the fence bit. That felt like something being wrong confusing him and breaking the control a little. Where Agnes was just chilling and speaking about the problem very clearly.

It could be that Wanda was inside, and everything gets a bit less "detailed" when she's not present. Hence Vision working at a place that doesn't appear to actually do anything.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I appreciated the use of the Commodore 64 for the 80s business machine. It was a great nod to how shows constantly misuse hardware/software and in-show I assume that’s due to Wanda’s inexperience with computers of that era and that’s her assumption of what computers were like everywhere.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 6, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I have a theory about you-know-who but it's based on the leaked footage and it's not very specific anyway so whatever

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

AngryBooch posted:

Not directly, but Tony Stark does tell Banner/Hulk "that little witch is messing with your brain" in AoU.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AngryBooch posted:

I figured it out, he's driving that home because only the good guys (more or less) have code names in the MCU. So by emphasizing that she doesn't have a code name he's reinforcing the notion that Wanda is bad

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I legit thought this show was bad two episodes in. Obviously like most of this thread I'm now on board, but it got me thinking of what didn't work for me. It's entirely how they dropped the episodes. It should have been first four dropped at once. Because 1,2,3 is just hard on the sitcom, and while the mystery is there, it's just a bit too self indulgent. Episodes 4 and 5 make this compelling, and also the more that our other leads are in this the better, since they play their roles very well. (And we already know our two mains are great). Still though, I do love where they started and where they took this, just needed to get there sooner.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
A fun production thing I've noticed is how they switch from the classic sitcom three-camera setup to a more cinematic style whenever someone realizes weird poo poo it happening or breaks the plot. Wanda momentarily loses focus on her TV show and switches to modern/movie style filmmaking, but as soon as it gets back on track it resumes the standard format.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

A little disappointed this ended on a cliffhanger. I could have settled in and watched cool uncle Pietro for a bit. Other than that solid episode. Speculating the kids are at least somewhat self aware and autonomous. Or at least Billy as it would fit his comic counterpart as being the demiurge.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Agnes also might be there to kind of keep an eye on Wanda at the behest of whoever is behind it. She knows Wanda is dangerous but whoever sent her is even more dangerous. Would explain why she just shows up and moves things along because whoever it is wants that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hahn has absolutely crushed every era she's gotten to play.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so, barring the possibility that Aaron Taylor-Johnson returns as Pietro at some point in the last four episodes, I wonder whether there's bad blood between him and Marvel or whether he just didn't want to return. more likely the latter though

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Moreau posted:

If I were Mojo, bringing in a special guest star to pump up the ratings would make a lot of sense. Also helps keep those pesky players distracted, and sticking to the drat script.
Honestly, you just cant get good X-Men for your shows, these days.

Glad I’m not the only deep cut nerd that thought of Mojo. I swear to God, if it’s fuckin’ Arcade...

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rewatching. Not going to go looking for it but whoever posted that this part was super unsettling was SPOT on:

Agnes abruptly breaking her cheery character to worriedly ask if Wanda wants her to take it from the top

That made me so uncomfortable. Like much more so than anything else we’ve seen in this show, and I can’t put my finger on why.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 6, 2021

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
re: the twins:
it seems weird that nobody at SWORD seems particularly concerned about Billy/Tommy, their abilities (?) or their overall significance, since i'd think they'd be key to Wanda's whole motivation here
of course i say that as a comic fan who knows that there's no way you introduce those characters without them playing a key role

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Martytoof posted:

Rewatching. Not going to go looking for it but whoever posted that this past was super unsettling was SPOT on:

Agnes abruptly breaking her cheery character to worriedly ask if Wanda wants her to take it from the top

That made me so uncomfortable. Like much more so than anything else we’ve seen in this show, and I can’t put my finger on why.

that scene really makes me wonder what Agnes thinks Wanda knows -- like it seems like she thinks that Wanda is well aware of everything going on and is basically acting as a director, and she expected Wanda to react normally to her treating the role she's playing like she's an actor

no idea where i'm going with this, but it seems like there's tension between how in charge people like Agnes think Wanda is versus how in charge she actually is. probably something to do with the literal multiple personalities she appears to have right now, the American Sitcom Wanda appears to be a lot less self-aware than Actual Sokovian Wanda

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hayward is a hypocrite with his "the living will of Vision" nonsense

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Are things different enough from the comics that the people posting spoilers from them could be wrong?

Otherwise I might just check out from the thread.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are things different enough from the comics that the people posting spoilers from them could be wrong?

Oh, sorry. Just a visual comparison. House of M is quite different to the show by all accounts. I just shared it as it's an obvious visual nod

I also realised that Wanda is literally married to the source of her powers, the mind stone

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

This series hasn't followed any comic storyline. It's pulled inspiration from a lot, but it's doing its own thing.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

LionArcher posted:

So I legit thought this show was bad two episodes in. Obviously like most of this thread I'm now on board, but it got me thinking of what didn't work for me. It's entirely how they dropped the episodes. It should have been first four dropped at once. Because 1,2,3 is just hard on the sitcom, and while the mystery is there, it's just a bit too self indulgent. Episodes 4 and 5 make this compelling, and also the more that our other leads are in this the better, since they play their roles very well. (And we already know our two mains are great). Still though, I do love where they started and where they took this, just needed to get there sooner.

I dunno, I was locked in during the choking scene from episode 1. The most Lynchian thing I've seen in ages- and from freaking MARVEL, no less.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I super enjoy the speculation but was worried that maybe I was just outright spoiling myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

NowonSA posted:

I'm very on board for the "pull back the curtain" reveal of exactly how the Westview situation began through some flashbacks, and I hope we get that in episode 7 or 8.

We're definitely getting some kind of "how it started" flashback considering the trailers have a moment of black-and-white Vision lovingly greeting Wanda as if they hadn't seen each other in so long.