Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
the climax of the story has been former enemies setting aside their differences and working together towards the common goal of stopping eren. Im guessing eren partially succeeds but the warriors end up saving their families

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Pththya-lyi posted:

Nah, I don't think that's what the narrative is building towards. We've spent the last few chapters with the rest of the surviving main cast as they try to stop the Rumbling. It would be unsatisfying and annoying if they didn't at least partly succeed. If it turns out I'm wrong I accept that, but I still wouldn't think that's the right choice for the story.

We have spent the last few chapters of the story with the rest of the cast admitting they have no solution and that even if they stop Eren now the damage has been done, and thus have no impetus to stop him other than not wanting to be accessory to (further) genocide.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pththya-lyi posted:

Nah, I don't think that's what the narrative is building towards. We've spent the last few chapters with the rest of the surviving main cast as they try to stop the Rumbling. It would be unsatisfying and annoying if they didn't at least partly succeed. If it turns out I'm wrong I accept that, but I still wouldn't think that's the right choice for the story.

I'm not sure I'm right, but I do think stopping Eren is what the foreshadowing has been building towards. Things like "Armin will save the world!" and how Armin's nearing the peaks of his usual self-loathing-to-success cycle are evidence on their own.

But the largest argument for me is, ironically, the same video people use to argue Eren will win. Akatsuki no Requiem. In it, we see the main bird (Eren) kill a lot of lizards (Everyone outside of Paradis), leading to the mass graves in the opening. However, the bird leaves the city he's from (Paradis) in a lizard disguise, and is only readmitted on taking it off.

That strongly hints that there's a large population of non-birds (as in, again, everyone else) that still exists. The disguise makes no sense unless there are. And Eren can't stop on his own. Thus, if the video is foreshadowing, as many argue, that means Eren, even if he succeeds in his main goal (save Historia, her child, and Paradis) he doesn't exterminate the world.

There's a lot of other things that support the idea it's not a complete apocalypse (Uri and Kenny come to mind) but yeah. The video's a pretty major one for me.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Part of me thinks Isayama wouldn't spend all this time showing the groups at the airbase or the large group at the cliffs and then 'lol no' and they get stomped anyways. But we'll see.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

bees x1000 posted:

Part of me thinks Isayama wouldn't spend all this time showing the groups at the airbase or the large group at the cliffs and then 'lol no' and they get stomped anyways. But we'll see.

Yeah, I don't know why Isayama would spend all this time on setup just to go "Psyche! No payoff." I think he's a better storyteller than that. :shrug:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I wouldn’t mind if the warrior parents died because they’re boring and I don’t really like them very much

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

thank you

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it would be super ballsy if Eren wins and the ultimate takeaway was that even in the face of Armageddon people weren't willing to grow past their prejudices and xenophobia and human and everyone died as a result.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

bees x1000 posted:

I think it would be less "lol no" and more a return to the series' horror roots where the Titans (read: Eren) are an implacable, unstoppable, and irrational foe. The idea I would expect to be conveyed is "It doesn't matter if the remaining Marleyans and the Eldians have made peace, Eren keeps moving forward until his enemies are destroyed". The time spent building up the people at Fort Slava is to underscore Eren's inexorable resolve: that he will obliterate everything, even when the people are demonstrably capable of reconciliation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

In It For The Tank posted:

The time spent building up the people at Fort Slava is to underscore Eren's inexorable resolve: that he will obliterate everything, even when the people are demonstrably capable of reconciliation.

Could still pull the "they fired off into the air, actually" but last time we saw the people at the Fort they were at an armed standoff despite Commander's earlier sappy speech.

Which I suppose would be its own kind of cruel if they stop the Rumbling before it reaches them, only for Reiner and Annie to find their parents dead.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I wonder why, to Zeke, it never occurred that rather than use the founder's power to remove the ability to have children they didn't just... remove the ability to turn into Titans? I'm still fairly certain that's the actual endgame here, as dangerous as it is to give up, essentially, your greatest weapon, it's also the only way to stop being a threat.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Zeke's endgame is basically the same but remember that's he's influenced not only by his messed up family, but also by the previous beast, who secretly had children with a Marleyan woman and the shame of finding out that he was Eldian led her to commit suicide.

So Zeke (and Ksaver by extension) are coming about the problem from the angle where they basically say "we can't cure the world's hatred for Eldians, we should just go away instead". I don't think this is text but I'm assuming that their theory is that removing titan powers alone wouldn't cure the problem. That or they just don't think it's possible.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eren also perfectly understands that Paradis is inhabited by people, who are as capable of being as cruel to each other as anyone in the outside world. Remember he saved Mikasa from slavers who murdered her family? Remember the cynical views on human conflict he shared with Pixis before they launched the operation to retake Trost?

He isn't looking to save humanity. He would never expect a paradise to be the consequence of his actions.

But Isayama carefully lays out just how real the threat of literal annihilation Paradis faces is, and how the best alternative others can come up with calls for the sacrifice of someone Eren personally cares deeply about, and so he won't abide that. He ultimately finds himself boxed in, and from that position would rather save Paradis than let it be destroyed for the sake of sating the world's hatred, and so he makes his choice.

There's also this angle from 131 on top of what you laid out here:

Our boy Eren is such a hosed up monster.

Beefstew posted:

Honestly, I think I'm down for any ending that doesn't ruin Eren's character, regardless of whether he lives or dies, wins or loses.

:same:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
edit; doublepost, oops

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 5, 2021

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

JahRoo posted:

I don't think this is text but I'm assuming that their theory is that removing titan powers alone wouldn't cure the problem. That or they just don't think it's possible.

They probably feel it would leave them completely vulnerable to genocide by a world that still resents them. At least the titan forms are "useful" to Marley, as well as being a deterrent.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Onmi posted:

I wonder why, to Zeke, it never occurred that rather than use the founder's power to remove the ability to have children they didn't just... remove the ability to turn into Titans? I'm still fairly certain that's the actual endgame here, as dangerous as it is to give up, essentially, your greatest weapon, it's also the only way to stop being a threat.

It still wouldn't stop Marley from massacring them.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Objectively the world would be better without people, humans cause this misery for ourselves and destroy the spaces we exist in. Objectively all he's likely to do is doom the small population on Paradis, murder the rest of the world, and let nature take back over. He's actually just Captain Planet taken to the extreme.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ah yes Captain Eren, he’s a hero, gonna take the population down to zero.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

hatty posted:

I'm dying :cheers:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

When do we get the chapter? :f5:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Much like 90 percent of AoT-Earth's population.

Can we all just agree on the fact that Floch is the worst? Screw his buzzsaw hair-having rear end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

hatty posted:

immaculate

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Vanderdeath posted:

Much like 90 percent of AoT-Earth's population.

Can we all just agree on the fact that Floch is the worst? Screw his buzzsaw hair-having rear end.

Floch somehow managed to be the worst character both before and after his personality did a 180... kinda impressive actually.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I feel bad for Floch, because "cowardly kid that gets radicalized into extreme fascism" is a big mood in 2021.

hatty posted:

If it wasn't a spoiler, I'd suggest this for a new thread title.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RatHat posted:

It still wouldn't stop Marley from massacring them.

It's this but also across the entire world. Removal of titan powers basically means that Eldians are oppressed forever. Sterilization is collective racial suicide in the face of eternal slavery and discrimination. Basically kill yourselves now to avoid being bled to death over hundreds of years.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

hatty posted:

Immortalize this in the Louvre.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The leaks thread on reddit apparently became a shitposting singularity with everyone freaking out. Its over 23,000 posts already.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nice, can't wait

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

mightygerm posted:

The leaks thread on reddit apparently became a shitposting singularity with everyone freaking out. Its over 23,000 posts already.

Aren't those the people who unironically love Floch?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

hatty posted:

gonna request a mod change the anime thread title to this once the rumbling starts

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

hatty posted:

This is amazing.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Beefstew posted:

no, thats yeagerbomb.
titanfolk is filled with shitposters of all types

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

mightygerm posted:

The spoilers (at least on ReadSNK) sound like the chapter is good, which shouldn’t be too big a surprise at this point.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Beefstew posted:

Man even if you’re all in on being a Yeagerist I still can’t see liking Floch, he’s so smarmy

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

I feel bad for Floch, because "cowardly kid that gets radicalized into extreme fascism" is a big mood in 2021.

I liked him at least because his scene where he tells to the main characters how they are 'main characters' and everyone is tired of their bullshit. That was enough to justify the character in the series!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yeah, as a bit player he was a perfectly fine dude and brought something to the story, Isayama could have simply sidelined him after that point. But he didn't, instead Floch got this depressingly realistic negative character arc that I'd say is just as effective as Gabi's in terms of conveying how hosed up things are for Eldians.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I hope Hange doesn't die

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sjs00 posted:

I hope Hange doesn't die
Yeah - she and Sasha are the two characters I hope survive everything.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No Wave posted:

Yeah - she and Sasha are the two characters I hope survive everything.

I mean, I'm just hoping Shadis and Magath live long and happy lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Think of the worst possible twist ending -

Marco is actually the reincarnation of the original King Fritz and he used his Supreme Titan powers to screw with Reiner/Annie/Bert/Jean's memories to make them think he was dead so he could spend the next 5 years evilly plotting and pulling strings. As soon as Eren is stopped, he reappears and rechains Ymir and resets the Eldian Empire status quo. To be continued in Assault on Titan.