Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anyone familiar with the Gene Wolfe book Latro in the Mist? It’s about a roman mercenary with short term memory loss (his memory resets at night, think that goofy Adam Sandler movie with Dru Barrymore and Rob Schneider as a native Hawaiian man) who can see and interact with the gods due to this handicap. How accurate is it? The place names especially make it hard to get into, like Sparta is just called Rope and Spartans are Rope Makers. Not sure if that’s what the Greek would translate into Latin as? I’ve been able to figure out some through googling, and some just thru general history knowledge, but it’s rough going. Really like the story and imperfect glimpse of everyday ancient life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
"Spártē" is the city and "spárton" is a rope or a cable or a thread. It's not clear if there's any real relation beyond the two words sounding similar.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

"Made in Venice, Italy, the tiny blue beads might have travelled more than 10,000 miles in the skin pockets of aboriginal adventurers to reach Bering Strait."

ah, that kind of beads

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ChubbyChecker posted:

"Made in Venice, Italy, the tiny blue beads might have travelled more than 10,000 miles in the skin pockets of aboriginal adventurers to reach Bering Strait."

ah, that kind of beads

the christopher walken part from pulp fiction except it's a 15th century guy and his beads

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You know theres a thing I've always mused about, and obviously by it's nature no one would have written it down, but I wonder how much and how many of historical head shavings were just compensation by dudes with male-pattern baldness. Everything from Samurai topknots to monk tonsures to those weird ponytail things some european "barbarians" had to the Qing queue. I wonder how many of the were big specifically because it was an excuse for powerful men to soothe their egos by forcing everyone else to be bald too. No one can know you've gone bald at 30 if everyone is required to shave their head after all. I know before modern hygiene there are benefits to not having a bunch of hair for lice to live in and whatnot, but some people seemed to take it a little extreme.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Kassad posted:

"Spártē" is the city and "spárton" is a rope or a cable or a thread. It's not clear if there's any real relation beyond the two words sounding similar.

And Athens is Thought?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

galagazombie posted:

You know theres a thing I've always mused about, and obviously by it's nature no one would have written it down, but I wonder how much and how many of historical head shavings were just compensation by dudes with male-pattern baldness. Everything from Samurai topknots to monk tonsures to those weird ponytail things some european "barbarians" had to the Qing queue. I wonder how many of the were big specifically because it was an excuse for powerful men to soothe their egos by forcing everyone else to be bald too. No one can know you've gone bald at 30 if everyone is required to shave their head after all. I know before modern hygiene there are benefits to not having a bunch of hair for lice to live in and whatnot, but some people seemed to take it a little extreme.

Wouldn't be surprising, though a lot is also probably simply comparable to modern standards of formal dress and grooming. Equivalent to a short crew cut, along with a suit and tie, and so on.

A tonsure also makes sense when it's specifically supposed to be a distinctive and modest haircut, and also one that is still recognisable when you're old and going bald. Combovers aren't new, Julius Caesar had one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a fatguy baldspot posted:

And Athens is Thought?

Very disappointed you didn't reply to the post directly above yours.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ChubbyChecker posted:

ah, that kind of beads

:quagmire:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What were interior doors like in say Rome of the late republic? Were they common enough that apartment buildings might have them?

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

galagazombie posted:

the carolignians used tonsuring like the byzantines used eye-gouging—symbolically publicly castrating a defeated king and marking them as unfit for power.

There was an association in that period of particularly remarkable locks with kingship; the merovignians claimed to be scions of a line descended from mermaids that was evinced in their magnificent red manes. so when pepin the short did his little papal power-play the first thing he did was shave childebert in the cathedral in front of everybody and god. The carolignians too reportedly had very good hair (note that Charles the Bald's nickname is seemingly ironic, or if it wasnt hair was still so important to the image of the kingship that all his coins and statues had it added).

it didn't always work either, though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Han, of course, measured legitimacy via earlobe length.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Carillon posted:

What were interior doors like in say Rome of the late republic? Were they common enough that apartment buildings might have them?

Interesting question. I do not know if a regular apartment would have had interior doors. As far as I know there are no surviving upper stories of insulae to study, we just have ground floors and very rarely a second floor. The ground floors were for businesses and/or richer people, they do have doorways. I would guess the cheap apartments at the top were single room situations. They may have had doors dividing apartments from one another but probably not inside. The middle ones... ???

Wealthy houses did have interior doors, which we know because we have surviving examples!

Impressions of interior doors from the Villa Poppaea, which was another victim of Vesuvius. This is thought to have been owned by Nero so it's not exactly a normal household, but it's reasonably representative of a rich person's villa. I like the molding of the doors, they're actually identical to the doors in my house. I've always wondered if it's coincidental or if this door design became popular because it was seen at this site. I assume the latter, when you go around well preserved Roman villas there are lots of decorative elements that you also see in Victorian/early 20th century homes which makes it all weirdly familiar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo I too am sitting ten feet away from an identical door.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Interesting question. I do not know if a regular apartment would have had interior doors. As far as I know there are no surviving upper stories of insulae to study, we just have ground floors and very rarely a second floor. The ground floors were for businesses and/or richer people, they do have doorways. I would guess the cheap apartments at the top were single room situations. They may have had doors dividing apartments from one another but probably not inside. The middle ones... ???

Wealthy houses did have interior doors, which we know because we have surviving examples!

Impressions of interior doors from the Villa Poppaea, which was another victim of Vesuvius. This is thought to have been owned by Nero so it's not exactly a normal household, but it's reasonably representative of a rich person's villa. I like the molding of the doors, they're actually identical to the doors in my house. I've always wondered if it's coincidental or if this door design became popular because it was seen at this site. I assume the latter, when you go around well preserved Roman villas there are lots of decorative elements that you also see in Victorian/early 20th century homes which makes it all weirdly familiar.

That's really neat!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Grand Fromage posted:

You see wood panelling like that in Georgian-era wooden homes too. It's functional; the central panel can expand and contract with hot or cold temperatures, preventing the door from cracking. Unless, of course, volcano.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

Really cool, thanks. Were the latching mechanisms pretty basic? Did they have any complex fasteners or openings?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Carillon posted:

Really cool, thanks. Were the latching mechanisms pretty basic? Did they have any complex fasteners or openings?

They had various kinds of locks: https://www.historicallocks.com/en/site/h/other-locks/19-keys-and-locks-from-imperial-rome/roman-door-locks/

The only kind of Roman non-lock door latch I can find pictures of is a couple of hoops that looks like you'd stick a pin through. I would guess basic stuff like a hook or bar you flip over into a slot was in use.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

They also had some surprisingly modern-looking sliding and folding doors. Here's one from Pompeii:
https://twitter.com/PlanetPompeii/status/1034040887796551680

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

It requires less wood and makes the doors lighter, so it's a good way to make interior doors that don't have to be as strong or insulating as outer doors. I wonder what eg. Asian interior doors looked like? My guess is that if interior doors are used, they'd look about the same everywhere because it's a great solution, just like iron age swords look the same in China and Rome.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Grand Fromage posted:

According to the professor of my Roman Social history class I am currently taking, upper floors of insulae often used fabrics hanging from the ceiling to divide rooms apart. I can't find a reference to this in any of the course texts, but he may have pulled that fact from a textual source we have not read for the class.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
If the Spartan upper class just ate lentil soup or whatever, why did they need this large population of helots farming? Where their farming methods just that bad or where they exporting a lot of it?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Weka posted:

If the Spartan upper class just ate lentil soup or whatever, why did they need this large population of helots farming? Where their farming methods just that bad or where they exporting a lot of it?

So they could be the leisure class and spend all their time thinking of ways to be bad asses, instead of farming

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
There were never that many spartiates either so a "large population of helots" relative to them wasn't actually all that big. Athens had a much bigger population.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Another thing to keep in mind about Sparta is that in addition to the Spartiates and the Helots, there was a third class called the perioikoi, who were neither citizens nor slaves. We don't know exactly how many of them there were, but it was probably a lot. They also needed food.

CrypticFox fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 7, 2021

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Weka posted:

The Spartan upper class didn't just eat lentil soup. The defining Spartan upper class dish was something called Black Broth, which is a stew made out of pork, pig's blood and vinegar. Max Miller, who recreates historical foods on Youtube tried it, and said it was bland but ok. That wasn't all they ate though.
A bunch of historians said their meals were more austere than other Greeks, but Spartan dining clubs ate meals of fish, meat, fruit, vegetables, bread, cakes, wine and the same sort of things that the upper class in other cities were eating. Spartiate adults didn't really live lives all that different than adult elites in other Greek cities. Most of their time was spent on estate management, hunting, and so on.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CrypticFox posted:

According to the professor of my Roman Social history class I am currently taking, upper floors of insulae often used fabrics hanging from the ceiling to divide rooms apart. I can't find a reference to this in any of the course texts, but he may have pulled that fact from a textual source we have not read for the class.

Age of sail ships did the same thing while in port to divide up temporary family living arrangements on the lower decks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The british army in the same period did it too. The majority of the enlisted would sleep without separation, but the lucky few senior enlisted in a given garrison would be allowed to bring their wives along, and their barracks got curtains to divide up the beds.

e: it's funny to imagine all the gruff sideburned and mustachio'd sergeants being hardcore swingers in their down time

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 7, 2021

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Speaking of cake and sweet wines, i''m assuming everyone used honey before sugar came around.How big where beekeepers in rome or greece? Is there any remains of ancient bee farms around?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Speaking of cake and sweet wines, i''m assuming everyone used honey before sugar came around.How big where beekeepers in rome or greece? Is there any remains of ancient bee farms around?
For what it’s worth, the fourth book of Vergil’s Georgics is about 50% beekeeping manual (though whether Vergil knew what he was talking about, I can’t say).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Weren't the romans big into concentrated grape juice (w/ bonus lead acetate) as a sweetener?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

e: it's funny to imagine all the gruff sideburned and mustachio'd sergeants being hardcore swingers in their down time

If the Aubrey-Maturin novel series can be believed (the which it absolutely can, you God-damned lubbers), Royal Navy officers hooking up with other officers' wives while they were away was practically a competitive sport.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The british army in the same period did it too. The majority of the enlisted would sleep without separation, but the lucky few senior enlisted in a given garrison would be allowed to bring their wives along, and their barracks got curtains to divide up the beds.

I mean..... you never rented a single hotel room with two queen beds with a buddy to bang your girlfriends on the cheap while traveling?

We didn't have curtains just low lighting though.
#justmilitarythings

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There are surviving big masonry apiaries and a lot of art showing more traditional skeps.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Modern swinging was literally started by military officers swapping wifes at the bases.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Military wives sampling the soldiery sounds nicer

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Honey was definitely big in all sorts of ancient cultures, but I'm sure there were other sweeteners available before the import of cane sugar or the processing of beets. Ripe fruit is sweet, you can dry it, you can cook the juice to a syrup etc. It may have been rare in some cultures, but I don't think it was exclusively an upper class thing. Anyone roaming through the forest can find berries after all.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I've sometimes wanted to know: why is 90% of ancient medical literature of all cultures about how to poop regularly?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Arglebargle III posted:

I've sometimes wanted to know: why is 90% of ancient medical literature of all cultures about how to poop regularly?

not a ton of fibre in the diets of rich men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

I'd guess a couple of things:

1) Everyone was far more active than they are now. Houses were small with little furniture; they were little more than places to sleep. Most people were outdoors actively doing stuff from sunup to sundown. Being constipated was really uncomfortable and got in the way of most of your life.

2) It was one medical condition for which cause and effect could be pretty clearly delineated. When most medicine was quite sketchy and only partially effective, it was one thing they could point to with good confidence that would work - giving the authors more credibility overall.