Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

raditts posted:

When it comes to celebrity types it's almost always an "open secret" that everyone chooses to look the other way on until it's impossible to do so.

It's about who has power over who and how much the victims/witness stand to lose by coming forward or corroborating.

When Terry Crews was assaulted the guy walked up to him in the middle of a crowded room and brazenly grabbed his crotch to the witness of pretty much everyone around them and nothing ever came about it. Crews was literally yelling across the room over it and everyone just kind of looked the other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

When it comes to celebrity types it's almost always an "open secret" that everyone chooses to look the other way on until it's impossible to do so.

The biggie there is Kevin Spacey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The biggie there is Kevin Spacey.

And Bryan Singer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
and R Kelly, who publicly married an underage girl.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

and R Kelly, who publicly married an underage girl.

There was also the piss tape thing that Chappelle made fun of backwards and forwards as much as he could.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There was also the piss tape thing that Chappelle made fun of backwards and forwards as much as he could.

See, there isn't actually ambiguity to that tape, but it would be easy for it to be made ambiguous by a good PR or legal team. It's deeply awful, but it's possible to muddy the waters in various ways.

having a legally binding marriage with an underage girl has no ambiguity to it at all. There is no way to explain away how incredibly creepy and awful that is.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the fact that R Kelly got busted because of a cult before Jared Leto did blows my mind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

the fact that R Kelly got busted because of a cult before Jared Leto did blows my mind.

Not to try and dismiss the huge number of crimes R Kelly committed, but if you compare the color of their skin you should be able to figure it out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Armie Hammer has been dropped by his people, which means there's probably some bad stuff coming.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrVenkman posted:

Armie Hammer has been dropped by his people, which means there's probably some bad stuff coming.

Or he's not important enough to put up with the bad PR. As hard as they've tried to make him the next AAA blockbuster star he's done nothing of note since the bomb that was Lone Ranger maybe he's just not worth the hassle.

Micheal Weatherly cost CBS $9mil at least 2x over harassing female cast members and they kept him on because it was worth the heat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He was great in Call Me By Your Name.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Not to try and dismiss the huge number of crimes R Kelly committed, but if you compare the color of their skin you should be able to figure it out.

Is it really? Cause he skated for like 15 years after he molested a kid on tape. Most of the dirt on Leto is that he's a 50 year old guy that fronts an emo band, which is like, fair enough.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Skwirl posted:

Oh but there's the CIA connection too with Echelon.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is it really? Cause he skated for like 15 years after he molested a kid on tape. Most of the dirt on Leto is that he's a 50 year old guy that fronts an emo band, which is like, fair enough.

Ummm, I’m p sure he has a private island w a cult-esque gathering there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
R Kelly wasn't busted for running a cult, his charges were slightly more specific.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Leto has a cult island.

R Kelly had a rotating harem of abused women, and was empowered by people enamored w celebrity, fame, or money.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Boywhiz88 posted:

Ummm, I’m p sure he has a private island w a cult-esque gathering there.

I'm pretty sure that was a photoshoot for an album cover

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm pretty sure that was a photoshoot for an album cover

No it’s a thing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Skwirl posted:

There is so much racism in America and it hurts so many people in so many ways, but don't say things like this about R. Kelly. There are millions of black men and women in jail you can say (accurately) are only there because of their skin color and if they were white they would have gone free, but not R. Kelly.

R. Kelly spent over a decade openly abusing underage girls, despite massive amounts of hard evidence showing that he was doing so. I get were you're coming from, but don't say poo poo like this about R. Kelly specifically.

Like, homophobia is also a huge problem in America, but Kevin Spacey didn't just get busted because he was gay. He got busted because he victimized many people for decades and was allowed to do so despite lots of people knowing what he was doing because he made and had lots of money.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There is so much racism in America and it hurts so many people in so many ways, but don't say things like this about R. Kelly. There are millions of black men and women in jail you can say (accurately) are only there because of their skin color and if they were white they would have gone free, but not R. Kelly.

R. Kelly spent over a decade openly abusing underage girls, despite massive amounts of hard evidence showing that he was doing so. I get were you're coming from, but don't say poo poo like this about R. Kelly specifically.

Like, homophobia is also a huge problem in America, but Kevin Spacey didn't just get busted because he was gay. He got busted because he victimized many people for decades and was allowed to do so despite lots of people knowing what he was doing because he made and had lots of money.

I mean, I was more trying to make a point about why Jared Leto still gets away with it. Also, no one's actually busted Kevin Spacey. He ain't getting any new acting parts but he's still free and rich.

Though the real reason Jared Leto is free isn't so much so that he's white, it's that he's a CIA psyop.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So this thread has me thinking. Has there been anybody that is super nymphomaniac but high profile (dudes or ladies or non binary) that haven't been abusive or it's been deemed okay? Like if you're super rich/famous and can do whatever, do some just hire a ton of sex workers to try out their various extreme but still consensual kinks/orgies? Revere Harem romance is popular with women for a reason. There's got to be some ladies out there that just have a ton of pretty men and women laying around their mansions right? Because remember these jerks that get caught aren't doing it because it's about kink or romance, it's about abusing power. The two dudes that come to mind that probably do this poo poo in a consensual way are Leo and Clooney. I assume they've had a poo poo ton of orgies but I get the impression it's because they like sex, not because they like hurting women. (Leo dating younger woman thing is something people love to jump on but they are all still consenting adult age, so I don't give a poo poo). Because the one thing I don't like about everything is that generally kink in some ways is now being looked down more than it was, or at least that's my impression in modern society.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wilt Chamberlain.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Russel Brand was famous for his hedonistic lifestyle when he was younger including sleeping with lots of women, but though he has had more than a few controversies, unless I'm missing something there's nothing to say he was abusive.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Warren Beatty was famous for sleeping with a lot of people but has never been accused of any abuse, to the best of my knowledge.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Karloff posted:

Russel Brand was famous for his hedonistic lifestyle when he was younger including sleeping with lots of women, but though he has had more than a few controversies, unless I'm missing something there's nothing to say he was abusive.

Perhaps, but he can go give himself an uppercut for slut-shaming Georgina Baillie on national TV for a laugh.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Karloff posted:

He was more controversial for doing a lot of drugs than anything abusive. That he actually seemed like a pretty nice guy probably helped his image a lot.

Vagabundo posted:

Perhaps, but he can go give himself an uppercut for slut-shaming Georgina Baillie on national TV for a laugh.

Dang, I forgot about that. I wish it had actually managed to kill Ross' career. That guy loving sucks.

Skwirl posted:

Warren Beatty was famous for sleeping with a lot of people but has never been accused of any abuse, to the best of my knowledge.

There were a lot of rumours about a lot of the girls being extremely young, possibly underage but nothing concrete.

misspelling girls as goals is a loving awful slip and I'll apologise even though i've corrected it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

LionArcher posted:

Because the one thing I don't like about everything is that generally kink in some ways is now being looked down more than it was, or at least that's my impression in modern society.

I think it's mostly Twitter, if you move away from the handful of people on Twitter who make a big stink about hedonism then I think you'll find a lot of people don't really give a poo poo. It's just that those people are really vocal.

Like, by all means rip on DiCaprio for being a pervert, but he's a good looking rich guy so whatever. I don't have a problem as long as his partners are fine with it. I'm more concerned about people like James Franco or Drake who very openly try to groom and sleep with young girls, and are obviously straight-up pedophiles looking for underage teens.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

He was more controversial for doing a lot of drugs than anything abusive. That he actually seemed like a pretty nice guy probably helped his image a lot.

Dang, I forgot about that. I wish it had actually managed to kill Ross' career. That guy loving sucks.

Did Jonathan Ross ever apologise for that? Whenever I see him on TV, he just comes across as such a loving "How do you do, fellow kids?" dweeb.

Russell Brand, on the other hand, I hadn't even thought about since a pre-Trump brain John Lydon called him out for being a complete loving idiot fuckwit for his stance on voting. When Trump brainworms Johnny Rotten calls you a loving moron on TV, and correctly points out how you're a loving moron, that's something that's pretty hard to come back from.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

Yikes.

Please I hope they keep exposing that creep.

I'm glad Dita got out of that relationship. Like I said in a very old post, her public complain was that he kept trying to live as a single man. Would still go out with girls and throwing parties. Things were probably worst than she is saying.

It's from a few pages ago, but Dita von Teese has come out and said that Manson was never abusive with her.

One thing I wondered about is if the people bringing the allegations forward had anything in common, and from what I can tell, they're all significantly younger than Marilyn Manson and Dita von Teese. Assuming the allegations are all true (and it strikes me as a likelier story than a bunch of women with more or less little to no connection other than him all conspiring to bring him down), then yeah, it looks like he saved his abuse for young women that probably would have been more vulnerable to it.

And yeah, I think Metal Hammer deserves credit for this article, where they address the responses to the allegations.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/we-need-to-talk-about-the-response-to-the-marilyn-manson-abuse-allegations

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

LionArcher posted:

So this thread has me thinking. Has there been anybody that is super nymphomaniac but high profile (dudes or ladies or non binary) that haven't been abusive or it's been deemed okay? Like if you're super rich/famous and can do whatever, do some just hire a ton of sex workers to try out their various extreme but still consensual kinks/orgies? Revere Harem romance is popular with women for a reason. There's got to be some ladies out there that just have a ton of pretty men and women laying around their mansions right? Because remember these jerks that get caught aren't doing it because it's about kink or romance, it's about abusing power. The two dudes that come to mind that probably do this poo poo in a consensual way are Leo and Clooney. I assume they've had a poo poo ton of orgies but I get the impression it's because they like sex, not because they like hurting women. (Leo dating younger woman thing is something people love to jump on but they are all still consenting adult age, so I don't give a poo poo). Because the one thing I don't like about everything is that generally kink in some ways is now being looked down more than it was, or at least that's my impression in modern society.

Loads of musicians, it just depends on their image how up front it is. A$AP Rocky has a custom designed orgy bed. Kirk Hammet said that in the 80s - 90s he'd get off stage and there'd be a room full of nude women. I don't think for a moment that John Mayer wasn't having turbo orgies 2001 - 2008.
As for women on NB people, it's less common to talk about. First thing that came to mind was that Cara Delevigne meme about how no celebrities come out as lesbian, they just become "good friends with Cara Delavigne".

well why not fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 7, 2021

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Hugh Hefner?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tiriganiaq posted:

Hugh Hefner?

No, no, not at all. He definitely committed acts that anyone would call rape but may or may not have technically been rape based on on lovely laws when those acts happened.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Dang, should have known

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LionArcher posted:

Prince? I dunno how much being a Jehova’s Witness slowed that down but as far as I know there were never any abuse allegations or anything like that. His Wikipedia has a section entitled “Legal Issues” but it’s entirely him fighting large corporations about his songs, which seems like a good sign.

The problem with having women who are seen like this is that ol’ Madonna/Whore dichotomy popping up where men mostly get away with joking about their promiscuity rather than active hatred and venom. The primo example of this is, fittingly, Madonna, who wrote a book entitled Sex with all sorts of sexy pictures, and implied that she probably enjoyed having sex, which infuriated people even though by all accounts the only unhealthy relationship she had was one in which she was the victim of abuse.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vagabundo posted:

*googles this* drat, I'd never heard about this. Seems like it was a major controversy in England, but I don't think it registered much over here in America. Well, gently caress him, and Ross, for all of that.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Skwirl posted:

I mean, I was more trying to make a point about why Jared Leto still gets away with it. Also, no one's actually busted Kevin Spacey. He ain't getting any new acting parts but he's still free and rich.

Though the real reason Jared Leto is free isn't so much so that he's white, it's that he's a CIA psyop.

R Kelly got away with his crimes once despite having video evidence of him having sex with a minor. The only reason he got in trouble was because he was somehow stupid enough to continuing filming his highly illegal crimes. Fame can only go so far when someone is being that blatant about it.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 7, 2021

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Duchovny was pretty famously a sex addict, right? Don't think there was any abuse allegations, but I also don't want to look it up. I still really like The X-Files.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Duchovny was pretty famously a sex addict, right? Don't think there was any abuse allegations, but I also don't want to look it up. I still really like The X-Files.

There were some legal issues surrounding it, but I think it was just him suing tabloids for reporting things that may not have been true. I don't know of any abuse allegations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

A quick google mentions an affair (no mention of the person's age, so I'm assuming she's of age), and that he's apparently got addiction issues in general, but that seems to be the worst of it.

Unless some other things come to light, it looks like he doesn't belong in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
He ended up going to proper rehab for it.