Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Bob Morales posted:

20 year IT veteran, network/sysadmin, python/ruby/php development, windows/linux/mac, manufacturing/erp/healthcare, server hardware/wiring/vmware/phone systems, a pretty good mix of everything

I don't have a bachelor's degree so I find myself locked out of some of the bigger companies around here. I make about $75k in a small city in the midwest and I've been looking to make the next step up to $100k+

I don't have any certifications, other than an A+ that I got back in like 2000 or so.

With that much years of experience you should be able to get an exception. Maybe pay a few hundred for somebody to spruce up your resume.
Alternately, if you're disciplined enough and have the time, knock out a bachelors from WGU that comes with a handful of certifications in <1 year for $8k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
After passing the CIPP/E last fall, I'll tackle the CIPT in the next two months, so if there's interest I'll update the thread with my learnings.

Just as a side note: getting into privacy / data protection is looking to be a smart move :

https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/gartner-predicts-for-the-future-of-privacy-2020/ posted:

By 2023, 65% of the world’s population will have its personal information covered under modern privacy regulations, up from 10% today.

More than 60 jurisdictions around the world have enacted or proposed postmodern privacy and data protection laws, following the introduction of the GDPR in 2018. These include Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, Nigeria, Panama, the U.S., Singapore and Thailand."

A rising tide lifts all the boats.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cyks posted:

With that much years of experience you should be able to get an exception. Maybe pay a few hundred for somebody to spruce up your resume.
Alternately, if you're disciplined enough and have the time, knock out a bachelors from WGU that comes with a handful of certifications in <1 year for $8k.

A lot of companies are taking extra experience in the industry in lieu of a bachelors degree. It's getting a lot more common than say 10 years ago, but the older, larger companies might still be requiring them.

I recently started a new job though, and I can tell you the WGU degree I earned definitely helped get me past the initial HR filter, to the interview stage.

The best way to bypass the initial HR filter though is to network. So many people I know get a job because a former co worker, or friend recommended them. A friend of mine recommended me for the job I just got, and it 100% made a difference in the hiring process. I owe him a few prime steaks and some beers for sure. He got his job because a former co-worker wanted to bring him on at his new job. When I get settled I'll probably try to bring over some former co-workers. The cycle goes on.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The HR filter is still definitely a thing. This came up for me in my recent job search while trying to stay working for the government. They are still pretty hard line about job requirements at the state and federal level.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er

Farecoal posted:

Failed the first part of the A+ exam, retook it today and passed (barely). Passed the second part the first time, also barely. Guess I'll start looking for a job soon? Hopefully I can find one that fits with my part-time school schedule.

Awesome job! Do you have any tips for getting to that level of knowledge for A+? I've taken a couple classes and have access to a TestOut book until 2021 thats supposed to prepare me for both parts of the A+ but I find myself completely nervous and doubting myself, and I'm not particularly keen on wasting tons of money for failed attempts at these tests, which is how I feel this will go for me atm. 🤦‍♀️ I'm lowkey going over some subjects in the testout book again but am just too nervous to schedule an exam honestly.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MrKatharsis posted:

Sander is very good but expensive. I bought his course for RHCSA/RHCE and it was worth the money.

Look up his LabIPA YouTube video to get your lab environment started.

Whatever course you're on, as long as you can pass the practice tests, you'll do fine.

Really late reply, but Sander’s Red Hat books and video courses (and lots of other stuff) are available on O’Reilly Learning which you can get access to with a ACM $99/year membership, less for students. For whatever reason the ACM/O’Reilly deal stopped including live classes (which Sander did a lot of) last year but you still have access to the prerecorded video classes.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Awesome job! Do you have any tips for getting to that level of knowledge for A+? I've taken a couple classes and have access to a TestOut book until 2021 thats supposed to prepare me for both parts of the A+ but I find myself completely nervous and doubting myself, and I'm not particularly keen on wasting tons of money for failed attempts at these tests, which is how I feel this will go for me atm. 🤦‍♀️ I'm lowkey going over some subjects in the testout book again but am just too nervous to schedule an exam honestly.

Does the TestOut book have practice tests? I'm usually pretty unsure about my subject matter retention until I take a few practice tests, which also helps me figure out which areas I need to go over and which areas I know I have down for sure.

Sometimes having the exam scheduled can really help with studying. Not having a set date means it's easy have your studies lapse and then you have to re-learn the differences in USB generations and how many pins are on a DDR2 module, which isn't fun and is discouraging. Find a date that you know will work for your schedule, set a study plan, schedule the exam, then go for it.

Professor Messer (p2) has a big youtube playlist that covers all the A+ material. Sometimes getting the information from another source can help with learning.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

I took classes at my local community college that correspond with the A+ (in fact they went beyond it, with a required class on basic electricity mechanics). One of the classes was specifically made to prepare you for the exam. We used the textbook CompTIA A+ Guide to IT Technical Support TENTH Edition by Jean Andrews, which I may have found a :filez: version of. They also had us use Certblaster, which gives you practice tests supposedly based on the A+ exam. I don't know if it's outdated or if it's something else, but there was quite a bit of material on the actual exam that wasn't covered by Certblaster.

Other than that, you can get a student discount if you have an academic email by buying A+ vouchers from the CompTIA academic store: https://academic-store.comptia.org/Certification-Vouchers/c/11332?facetValueFilter=tenant~certification:comptia-a

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

I just passed Core 1 a couple days back with an 802, and I'm taking Core 2 in a couple days. I felt absolutely unprepared and frustrated at the Core 1 material as I studied, until one day I just didn't. It took about a week and a half, but I'm also unemployed now thanks to the pandemic, so I have a lot of time to study. I used Mike Meyer's videos on Linkedin Learning and the uCertify material (both via WGU). I'd probably look at both a book and videos (Professor Messer mentioned above has good free ones for CompTIA exams). There were some things mentioned in one that weren't in the other, and I'd expect that to be the case for most study material out there. Practice exams might just give you the confidence boost you need. And scheduling your exam does set a fire under your rear end to stop slacking off on your studying, if you are. Also, you should do a search for a+ acronyms. There's a PDF with all the relevant ones, and sometimes just knowing what the acronym stands for can help you answer a question.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I studied almost entirely with messer’s YouTube videos, I did buy his practice tests for core 1 but you probably don’t strictly need to if you instead take really really good notes on all the videos. Passed by a pretty solid margin on both. Do his practice tests until you get 80% or better and you’ll be over prepared but it won’t take forever to get there.

I have also recently built a computer, set up a small homelab with pi’s and home network and that definitely helped, but you don’t need to do anything like that if you watch all the videos a few times and take good notes.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
Thank you all so much, really appreciate this! Definitely going to go through some of Professor Messer's playlist.

Actuarial Fables posted:

Does the TestOut book have practice tests? I'm usually pretty unsure about my subject matter retention until I take a few practice tests, which also helps me figure out which areas I need to go over and which areas I know I have down for sure.

Yup!

There's a handful included here thankfully, and I believe I have access to this until 2022.I don't know if I found it in this thread or not, but this site seems to have some fairly decent resources for prepping as well.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Oh also all the command line stuff for A+ was almost ENTIRELY windows, maybe 1 Linux question for me. So if you’re like me and have been entirely Mac and Linux for most of your life make a windows VM and learn how to do most basic stuff like shutdown, copy files and navigate in the terminal

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

I'd like to thank everyone who recommended Boson practice tests for CISSP - I really think those practice tests were what pushed me over the edge to pass. Good grief that exam was a beast and I'll be happy to never see it again. :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

FlyTB20C posted:

I'd like to thank everyone who recommended Boson practice tests for CISSP - I really think those practice tests were what pushed me over the edge to pass. Good grief that exam was a beast and I'll be happy to never see it again. :)

Nice job. What text did you use?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Has anyone taken CompTIA Security+ SY0-601 version how different is it from 501? I'm eventually looking to try for the GIAC certs in Digital Forensics and Blue Team Ops Cyber Security. Anyone here taken any of those or have any idea if they're worth the 2K it costs to take them?

I'm currently using Udemy to study for the 601 exam.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
If you are in Ontario, Seneca college is doing a free Azure virtual workshop

https://www.senecacollege.ca/ce/technology/software/microsoft-azure.html

quote:

This course is a promotional workshop being offered at no cost in partnership with Microsoft Canada and RBC. This eight-hour accelerated course will provide foundational-level knowledge on cloud concepts; core Azure services; security, privacy, compliance, and trust; and Azure pricing and support. This course introduces students to Cloud and AI technologies, and primarily uses the Azure portal to create services and does not require scripting skills. Students will gain confidence to take other role-based courses and certifications, such as Azure Administrator. This course also provides an Azure pass and lab environment, and combines lectures, demonstrations, and virtual lab training. This course will also help prepare students for the AZ-900 exam and certification, which is provided as part of these workshops.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nice job. What text did you use?

I read the 11th Hour book cover to cover and used the Shon Harris one for a reference on stuff I was missing on the practice exams.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FlyTB20C posted:

I remember walking out of that exam a few years back and literally not knowing whether I’d be handed a pass or fail. I’ve never felt like that about a tech exam before.

Anyway, congrats! And sorry in advance about your new soon-to-be anxiety about mining easy CPEs when you remember they exist at the end of the year. At least now you have three years to come up with your whole requirement.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Getting ready to take the CCNA. Been doing a lot of practice tests, but I haven't been able to find a sim lab environment that offers practice scenarios likely to be on the exam. Anyone know of something like that?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

FlyTB20C posted:

Congrats.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

suicide4sexbots posted:

Getting ready to take the CCNA. Been doing a lot of practice tests, but I haven't been able to find a sim lab environment that offers practice scenarios likely to be on the exam. Anyone know of something like that?

If you mean the "log into the switch and make configurations to get it work" type questions, those were removed from non-CCIE exams during the 2020 revision. Not that the CCNA had many that weren't just running a show command to determine the answer.

You may get a question showing an output and it asks you which command was used to show it, but that's the closest you'll get to a sim now.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 31, 2021

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
That's great news, thanks!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I'm taking the AWS Sysops exam today. Been getting 80s on the Jon Bonso and Neal Davis exams, and home proctored slots are apparently tougher to get at times that don't suck. Seeing as it's my fallback for if Azure goes unfavored at my current job, I'm not CONCERNED concerned, just the usual jitters.

The worst part is that I can't talk myself through stuff out loud and they don't like it when you prop your chin up. I didn't notice how much I depended on those until I had to force myself to not do 'em during practice exams.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MJP posted:

The worst part is that I can't talk myself through stuff out loud and they don't like it when you prop your chin up. I didn't notice how much I depended on those until I had to force myself to not do 'em during practice exams.

wait what

do they think you're looking up a cheat sheet or something?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Bob Morales posted:

wait what

do they think you're looking up a cheat sheet or something?

something like that. if they think you are, they can also ask you to stop the exam, show the room (again) to make sure you're not reading some notes before you can continue again.

It's one of the main reasons I really can't be bothered to take online proctored exams. It sounds absolutely horrible to have someone watch you and question every move you make.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's either home proctoring, schedule an appointment at a nearby test center in two months, or schedule an appointment at a schleppy test center next week. By schleppy I mean "lovely traffic and parking despite 'rona, or take public transit despite 'rona".

I don't know what I'd go for next - probably something to build on my existing Azure cert - but I sure as hell hope there's better availability when it's time.

Edit: I took the exam and Bezos stepped down as CEO? drat, if I get the next level up, does he start redistributing his wealth?

Got a pass, and the home proctor experience was tense as heck. At least a normal test center you're not focusing on an itch that you're afraid to scratch.

Stephane Maarek and ACG for the training, moving from the latter into the former as I realized ACG was missing stuff or outdated. Neal Davis and Jon Bonso practice exams.

MJP fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 2, 2021

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
Congrats! Thanks for the tips!

DawntoDust
Dec 11, 2006

Glory is Fleeting,
Obscurity is Forever

MJP posted:

It's either home proctoring, schedule an appointment at a nearby test center in two months, or schedule an appointment at a schleppy test center next week. By schleppy I mean "lovely traffic and parking despite 'rona, or take public transit despite 'rona".

I don't know what I'd go for next - probably something to build on my existing Azure cert - but I sure as hell hope there's better availability when it's time.

Edit: I took the exam and Bezos stepped down as CEO? drat, if I get the next level up, does he start redistributing his wealth?

Got a pass, and the home proctor experience was tense as heck. At least a normal test center you're not focusing on an itch that you're afraid to scratch.

Stephane Maarek and ACG for the training, moving from the latter into the former as I realized ACG was missing stuff or outdated. Neal Davis and Jon Bonso practice exams.

Took the AWS Solutions Architect Associate today & passed. Used Maarek class & Bonso practice tests on Udemy as well.

I'm not a huge fan of the at-home tenseness but the closest/most convenient testing location to me pre-covid was a dump so I'll happily take it over going there.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

MJP posted:

Which Azure cert(s) did you find that ACG was missing/stale material?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Otis Reddit posted:

Which Azure cert(s) did you find that ACG was missing/stale material?

I thinks he’s mentioning the AWS material and he’s looking to do tak an Azure cert next.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not quite - it was the AWS sysops exam where ACG was coming up short. Specifically, it was still showing Systems Manager for instance management when everything's now on Fleet Manager, some menus had moved entirely, other bits and pieces had moved around.

I was also 100% done with "okay hello cloud gurus", but that's not a question of missing content. My job has Udemy Business so it's all we want, so Stephane Maarek's were free. The Bonso practice exams were not, but that brings me to a really solid

UDEMY PROTIP

If you go to a Udemy course, and it's charging full price, google "Udemy coupon code" and then go back to the Udemy course. Boom, half price. Nothing beats the 90% off sales, of course, but this worked instantly for me. Good ol' cookie tracking.

I already have the Azure Admin Associate cert, so now all I need to do is get certified in not having horrible impostor syndrome and I'm good to go!

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Down to four classes on my WGU degree. Besides the final written project for the school I'm going to have AWS Cloud Practitioner, AWS Associate SysOp and the CCNA that I have to do.

Not super worried about the AWS content right now, but is there a recommended course or set of materials for CCNA? My knowledge is mostly theoretical, going about as far as the Net+ I got last summer. Should I expect weeks, or months of time to prep for this?

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

MJP posted:

I already have the Azure Admin Associate cert, so now all I need to do is get certified in not having horrible impostor syndrome and I'm good to go!

Oh man, if you find the course for this let me know! :)

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Does anybody have insights on the CSX-P

? How does it compare to Security+ or the CISSP?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

ClumsyThief posted:

Down to four classes on my WGU degree. Besides the final written project for the school I'm going to have AWS Cloud Practitioner, AWS Associate SysOp and the CCNA that I have to do.

Not super worried about the AWS content right now, but is there a recommended course or set of materials for CCNA? My knowledge is mostly theoretical, going about as far as the Net+ I got last summer. Should I expect weeks, or months of time to prep for this?

Packet tracer is free, and while not necessary, at least configuring a basic single area ospf network and static routes, and seeing the outputs of show commands, on "actual" equipment in a hands on environment can be very beneficial.

Cisco White Papers also have all the information you'll ever need and if there's an exam topic you don't feel comfortable with, look it up and review. Also, definitely print out a copy of the exam topics and look at it frequently to remind yourself what areas are important to pay attention to when doing the WGU class.

I personally find all of the "professional" training videos offered by certification training companies to not be worth it for Cisco. Do look up individual videos on topics you struggle with on YouTube though. Be careful with using r/CCNA. The normal group of visitors are also working on the CCNA and some of the upvoted answers are wrong. Verify anything in the white papers.

While I think it's best that WGU includes the CCNA in the program, it if not intended to be an entry level certification. It's aimed towards people with at least a year of meaningful Cisco experience.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 8, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ClumsyThief posted:

I got my CCNA before the test changed, but I found the Todd Lammle books really helpful. It looks like he has a new 2-book set for the new exam: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1...37ff54e8e7787d4

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks gentlemen. I've downloaded Packet Tracer in anticipation of this and have started looking into some cheap hardware I can buy to build a lab at home for some hands-on. Budget will probably be a few hundred dollars but I'd like to keep it as low as possible.

I'll also look into Lammle's books. I would prefer to read 100% of the time as I hate online video courses. I expect subnetting is going to be the hardest part of this for me, because while I can solve those problems making it something I can do in my head sounds like an uphill battle.

ClumsyThief fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 13, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is GNS3 still a thing with modern hardware covered by CCNA? I haven't touched networking in half a decade, but when I did my CCNA in 2010 I think GNS3 was the new kid on the block and I replaced my whole CCNA stack with it. So much more versatile and QUIET than sitting next to a noisy rack of hardware.

Of course there's something said about the satisfaction of owning physical gear you can plug things into. But in my experience it was very fleeting and I almost immediately regretted buying actual hardware vs just going virtual from day one.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I believe with GNS3 the way to go now is to use IOSv appliances, which are Cisco-created images made to run on qemu for their Virtual Internet Routing Lab. They have support for L2/3 switching and routing and should have pretty much everything of what you need for the CCNA.

If you've got GNS3 configured to use qemu, you can also just throw basically any type of networking OS (mikrotik routeros, vyos, pfsense..) on it and create appliances very quickly to use in your virtual lab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ClumsyThief posted:

Thanks gentlemen. I've downloaded Packet Tracer in anticipation of this and have started looking into some
cheap hardware I can buy to build a lab at home for some hands-on. Budget will probably be a few hundred dollars but I'd like to keep it as low as possible.

I'll also look into Lammle's books. I would prefer to read 100% of the time as I hate online video courses. I expect subnetting is going to be the hardest part of this for me, because while I can solve those problems making it something I can do in my head sounds like an uphill battle.

Lammle's books are specifically good for subnetting, or at least the old ones were. I wrote an explainer based on his method, which you can find here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521165&userid=64510#post486511306

This is a couple years old, hopefully I got it right. If you have any questions, ask and I'm sure we can help. The main thing to do, though, is practice. You can just make up IP addresses and subnet masks, but there are also websites like this one that will give you problems and tell you if you're right.

Unless things have changed since I took it, you'll get a pad or whiteboard to work with, you don't have to do it all in your head.