Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

dyzzy posted:

:yikes:

Alright see y'all when the next season is around the corner

Welcome to Earth bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:five:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Lmao ok

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

splifyphus posted:

No, it doesn't, because this is a work of fiction. It doesn't 'have to be' any which way, and it is the way it is because it's based off a D&D campaign that's been fleshed out by amateur writers who ran out of ideas and began recycling their own material.

Everything to do with Inaros is a mistep, and a lazy one at that. Oh no stealth rocks are headed for Earth - we've already done this. If you're going to write a new trilogy having a new story to tell is kind of a prerequisite, and they set themselves up with virtually infinite potential for new material and totally fumbled it.

e: Let's do an actual analysis. Class struggle in space is easy town frolics, it writes itself - because it's a story that's been generated by a social order that is itself defined by fundamental antagonisms of social interest. All you have to do is take actual history and put it in space - scifi is largely just this, from star trek to star wars and back again. Earth is USA, Mars is Soviets, the belt is the 'third world', ie; the global periphery. Yawn.

Now, class struggle irl is the opposite of pointless - it's extremely pointful and can't be escaped. The 'developed world', ie; the global core exploits the global periphery for its wealth and resources - it would take 6 earthlike planets and an additional 30 billion super-exploited peoples to give the currently existing population the 'lifestyles' enjoyed by the inhabitants of the core. This is obviously impossible, and calling this state of affairs a 'civilization' is a euphemism in appallingly bad taste.

Because the core has most of the resources, it generates the most leisure time and thereby the most art. For a writer to get published, he/she/it has to appeal to the audience that can afford the time/money to consume said writings. So the vast majority of what is published is going to be written from the perspective of the current winners of history, the middle and upper classes of the 'developed world', for their own perspective. For a writing to get filmed for television, the barrier to entry is even more strict. Film production is expensive, and the vast majority of it has to conform to hegemonic perspectives, narratives, and expectations just have a shot at the screen.

The middle and upper classes of the core like their burgers and SUVs and television and air conditioning and live under the most totalizing propaganda apparatus ever conceived, so they aren't really about anyone who might want to change this situation so that there might actually be like, a liveable future or any such thing. So when they consume literature generated by social antagonisms about social antagonisms, it's all gonna be written from one side of actually existing social antagonisms.

This is what Inaros is - an ridiculous exaggeration of real world interests opposed to the dominion of capitalism (also known as the 7th mass extinction event). He's not interested in making the belt politically or economically independent, he can't even spell the word 'autarchy', he has no concrete analysis of his conditions, he has no grand plan for new structures of social relations, he doesn't really give a gently caress about Belter liberation, his 'fleet' is partially composed of indentured unwilling participants, he doesn't even have that much of a mass base - he just wants to kill as many Earthers as possible as fast as he can. (This is not a 'genocide' - a genocide is ethnically targetted, Inaros is a specifically democidal maniac). So he does. Instantly and obvously this makes everything worse for everyone - the belt is defenceless except for the 'Free Fleet' and and isn't remotely self-sufficient.

No actual Belter revolutionary group would ever have done anything like this. It's ludicrous. A non-caricature, seriously organized group working from such an overwhelmingly underdog position would have used the threat of possible conflict to negotiate more equitable deals, a lasting peace and some level of Belter self-determination (or at this point in the narrative, focused its efforts on GTFOing to any one of the thousands of new explicitly habitable systems available, where the fun and cool stories are) - not hosed the entire sol system up the rear end with a big rock. Not even Stalin or Mao ever set out to do anything this deranged. You don't build a new future by burning everything down.

This is an absurd cartoon of actual world history, obviously based on the absurd cartoon of propagandistic bullshit the USA tells itself about its own history. ANARCHISTS BAD, CAPITAL GOOD, SHUT UP AND WATCH YOUR SHOW WAGE SLAVE. Marco Inaros is Jeff Bezos jizzing into your gaping credulous eye sockets when you could be doing your goddamn homework.

I get what you're saying but realistically I have to put at least some of this out of my mind when I watch these shows or I'll never be able to enjoy any popular western media; the kind of story I would *really like* to see is not possible for the reasons you defined so in the meantime I will settle for pansexual anarcho-communist pirate polycules getting some love on screen and maybe getting some people to question things and start thinking

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

splifyphus posted:

No, it doesn't, because this is a work of fiction. It doesn't 'have to be' any which way, and it is the way it is because it's based off a D&D campaign that's been fleshed out by amateur writers who ran out of ideas and began recycling their own material.

Everything to do with Inaros is a mistep, and a lazy one at that. Oh no stealth rocks are headed for Earth - we've already done this. If you're going to write a new trilogy having a new story to tell is kind of a prerequisite, and they set themselves up with virtually infinite potential for new material and totally fumbled it.

e: Let's do an actual analysis. Class struggle in space is easy town frolics, it writes itself - because it's a story that's been generated by a social order that is itself defined by fundamental antagonisms of social interest. All you have to do is take actual history and put it in space - scifi is largely just this, from star trek to star wars and back again. Earth is USA, Mars is Soviets, the belt is the 'third world', ie; the global periphery. Yawn.

Now, class struggle irl is the opposite of pointless - it's extremely pointful and can't be escaped. The 'developed world', ie; the global core exploits the global periphery for its wealth and resources - it would take 6 earthlike planets and an additional 30 billion super-exploited peoples to give the currently existing population the 'lifestyles' enjoyed by the inhabitants of the core. This is obviously impossible, and calling this state of affairs a 'civilization' is a euphemism in appallingly bad taste.

Because the core has most of the resources, it generates the most leisure time and thereby the most art. For a writer to get published, he/she/it has to appeal to the audience that can afford the time/money to consume said writings. So the vast majority of what is published is going to be written from the perspective of the current winners of history, the middle and upper classes of the 'developed world', for their own perspective. For a writing to get filmed for television, the barrier to entry is even more strict. Film production is expensive, and the vast majority of it has to conform to hegemonic perspectives, narratives, and expectations just have a shot at the screen.

The middle and upper classes of the core like their burgers and SUVs and television and air conditioning and live under the most totalizing propaganda apparatus ever conceived, so they aren't really about anyone who might want to change this situation so that there might actually be like, a liveable future or any such thing. So when they consume literature generated by social antagonisms about social antagonisms, it's all gonna be written from one side of actually existing social antagonisms.

This is what Inaros is - an ridiculous exaggeration of real world interests opposed to the dominion of capitalism (also known as the 7th mass extinction event). He's not interested in making the belt politically or economically independent, he can't even spell the word 'autarchy', he has no concrete analysis of his conditions, he has no grand plan for new structures of social relations, he doesn't really give a gently caress about Belter liberation, his 'fleet' is partially composed of indentured unwilling participants, he doesn't even have that much of a mass base - he just wants to kill as many Earthers as possible as fast as he can. (This is not a 'genocide' - a genocide is ethnically targetted, Inaros is a specifically democidal maniac). So he does. Instantly and obvously this makes everything worse for everyone - the belt is defenceless except for the 'Free Fleet' and and isn't remotely self-sufficient.

No actual Belter revolutionary group would ever have done anything like this. It's ludicrous. A non-caricature, seriously organized group working from such an overwhelmingly underdog position would have used the threat of possible conflict to negotiate more equitable deals, a lasting peace and some level of Belter self-determination (or at this point in the narrative, focused its efforts on GTFOing to any one of the thousands of new explicitly habitable systems available, where the fun and cool stories are) - not hosed the entire sol system up the rear end with a big rock. Not even Stalin or Mao ever set out to do anything this deranged. You don't build a new future by burning everything down.

This is an absurd cartoon of actual world history, obviously based on the absurd cartoon of propagandistic bullshit the USA tells itself about its own history. ANARCHISTS BAD, CAPITAL GOOD, SHUT UP AND WATCH YOUR SHOW WAGE SLAVE. Marco Inaros is Jeff Bezos jizzing into your gaping credulous eye sockets when you could be doing your goddamn homework.

:wtc:

Yeah, when the insane rambling manifestos start to come in tviv, it's time to unsubscribe. See ya'll all next season

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

splifyphus posted:

Just nuke this thread. What the gently caress is this? Do you covid brain? We’re you always like this?

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

A terrific post to end another very good season of Amazon's "The Expanse".

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
People with an education in politics that is just yearning to be used should not be allowed to write about media.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tighclops posted:

I get what you're saying but realistically I have to put at least some of this out of my mind when I watch these shows or I'll never be able to enjoy any popular western media; the kind of story I would *really like* to see is not possible for the reasons you defined so in the meantime I will settle for pansexual anarcho-communist pirate polycules getting some love on screen and maybe getting some people to question things and start thinking

Also Inaros is textually a dumbass with no real ideology. The OPA are the proper revolutionaries, Inaros is the Four Lions dudes.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it wasn’t clear to me or I missed something was Mean Lady supposed to be Naomi’s mother?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also Inaros is textually a dumbass with no real ideology. The OPA are the proper revolutionaries, Inaros is the Four Lions dudes.

The idea that someone could look at national liberation movements today and not think there is something meaningful to be said about the risk of them getting hijacked/overcome by ideologically empty fanatics who want to see the world burn is... interesting.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Koirhor posted:

I guess it wasn’t clear to me or I missed something was Mean Lady supposed to be Naomi’s mother?

No. Like Cyn, she was part of Naomi's literal and figurative crew back in the day.

Edit: typo

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 6, 2021

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"Can I have 12 crates of stealth tech, please?"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Bedshaped posted:

This show does foreboding really well though just like early GoT, and I hope it means the show's last season will wrap up both the problem of the fascist martian rebellion and the evil gate aliens in a neat little bow.

You aren't the first person I've seen write this, but what makes any of you believe that the gate aliens are evil?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

You aren't the first person I've seen write this, but what makes any of you believe that the gate aliens are evil?

They glow red.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It seems like they want to kill humans so.... I guess that makes them the good guys?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Hmm, so there's the gate builders and the gate aliens and they are both incomprehensibly advanced to humanity, but the gate alien legacy is that they wiped out the gate builders in an instant, whereas the gate builder legacy is that they seem pretty indifferent to other life and the only point at which they posed a threat to humanity was either incidental or because humanity accidentally triggered a threat alert.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The aliens just want some human rear end

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

No. Like Cyn, she was part of Naomi's literal and figurative crew back in the day.

Edit: typo

Yeah she was part of the OPA Pella station cell back in the day before Naomi decided to ditch her old crew.

They didn't get along then either hence her joy when she thought Naomi had committed suicide for the airlock leap of faith scene.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 6, 2021

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

etalian posted:

Pella station

:eng101: Pallas Station. The Pella is Marco's flagship.

I wish it had been feasible to do the book version of Pallas Station. (Below is background info, not plot spoilers, but I'd rather overshoot than undershoot with spoiler tags.)
In the show, it's a constructed spin station like Tycho. In the books, it's built into an asteroid like Ceres and Eros, but it predates those two and was never spun up to simulate gravity. Its 0.02g of actual gravity is little different than permanently living on the float, so its inhabitants are physiologically among the least capable of living on a planet. Uncoincidentally, it's a bit of a hot spot for fringe OPA factions like Marco's.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They glow red.

Am I color blind? I thought they were orange.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ22laLd_Bo

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Hmm, so there's the gate builders and the gate aliens and they are both incomprehensibly advanced to humanity, but the gate alien legacy is that they wiped out the gate builders in an instant, whereas the gate builder legacy is that they seem pretty indifferent to other life and the only point at which they posed a threat to humanity was either incidental or because humanity accidentally triggered a threat alert.

I mean, the gate builders deliberately hijack organic life that exists on other systems to take over and expand their network. We also don't know why the gate aliens seem to be antagonistic to the gate builders. It's possible the gates themselves are a fundamental threat to whatever dimension the gate aliens live in and every time a ring is used, it is killing or hurting the gate aliens, so they are acting/acted in self defense against the beings who aggressively use their dimension for their own self-interest.

Ascribing a moral code or assigning good/evil to either one seems impossible when we have barely any concept of the motiviations, actions, or desires of either group.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gully Foyle posted:

I mean, the gate builders deliberately hijack organic life that exists on other systems to take over and expand their network. We also don't know why the gate aliens seem to be antagonistic to the gate builders. It's possible the gates themselves are a fundamental threat to whatever dimension the gate aliens live in and every time a ring is used, it is killing or hurting the gate aliens, so they are acting/acted in self defense against the beings who aggressively use their dimension for their own self-interest.

Ascribing a moral code or assigning good/evil to either one seems impossible when we have barely any concept of the motiviations, actions, or desires of either group.

I don't think that's right - the protomolecule uses Venus as the material for the gate. It hijacks organic life that gets in its way but that doesn't seem like a malicious process and more an unintended outcome of being fired at solar systems and landing a few hundred thousand years later somewhere that's statistically unlikely to have life because nowhere does, with instructions to find matter and build a gate.

e: and yes technically we don't know their motivations but the show tells us (through Holden) that they are angry and genocidal, which is what we have to work with at the moment. I know the books give us a little more to work with but I think this is one of those instances where you have to take the tv adaptation on face value with the interpretation they've gone with.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 6, 2021

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Alchenar posted:

I don't think that's right - the protomolecule uses Venus as the material for the gate. It hijacks organic life that gets in its way but that doesn't seem like a malicious process and more an unintended outcome of being fired at solar systems and landing a few hundred thousand years later somewhere that's statistically unlikely to have life because nowhere does, with instructions to find matter and build a gate.

e: and yes technically we don't know their motivations but the show tells us (through Holden) that they are angry and genocidal, which is what we have to work with at the moment. I know the books give us a little more to work with but I think this is one of those instances where you have to take the tv adaptation on face value with the interpretation they've gone with.

Almost all the ring gates go to systems with life-bearing planets. The ring builders aimed their rocks at systems that had life, they just expected them to land on planets that had primitive life at best. The whole reason Miller and Julie Mao had any impact on what the protomolecule did after they got ate was it wasn't programmed to deal with such advanced lifeforms.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Alchenar posted:

The Protomolecule operates by hijacking self-replicating systems it encounters, reproducing itself and repurposing the hijacked system's features to suit the task of building a ring gate. Without encountering native life or some other kind of self-replicator at the destination system, there's not much it can do on its own. Otherwise, it could've just turned Phoebe into a ring without bothering with Earth at all.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Are we monsters for the process of vat-grown insulin etc

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

splifyphus posted:

Star Trek may not need to be lumped in there with the others. Star Trek avoids the question of class struggle entirely by setting as the premise we're in a future where there's no money and we're post-scarcity. There's definite undefined areas in the TNG world and elements of propaganda work their way in in later seasons, but that is the general premise. I think for sci-fi allegory to the current moment of capitalism in its colonial death throes The Expanse makes good choices. You've got a strong power, a second strong but slightly weaker power, and a third weak heavily exploited dis-united power. But within the strong power (the UN), you also have a lot of poverty conditions (Bobbies walk through the slum, Amos's walk in Baltimore). So the power structure is being portrayed exploiting and denying human potential both within and without, creating a class-based society with an extensive underclass feeding the elite. There aren't many shows that make this depiction, sci-fi or otherwise.

splifyphus posted:

Are we watching the same show? Did you listen to Marco's speech after the rocks? He is very explicitly about making the belt politically and economically independent. There's even a scene where it is discussed about getting the belt's food supply set up independently of Earth. The rock attack was clearly just a demonstration of power to get the Inner's attention. If he wanted to completely kill everyone on Earth, he would have used bigger rocks and kept on throwing them. But he makes one attack to get their attention and set terms.

I'll agree though that you are correct, the exact system belters will live under materially is not defined. Marco refers to 'Belter culture'. We have hints at what belter culture is throughout the show, but it is not at all clear. I would say from evidence it has a much stronger chance of being a 'workers control the means of production' type system than a free market capitalist (or 'anarchy') system, but it is not clear. It also appears it would be a kind of tribal leaders forming small groups and making decisions rather than a direct democracy. I'll agree, if the show had an inkling more courage, it would be explicit about the Belter system, which I'm projecting would be some form of either socialism or communism.

I don't think we can say how popular or unpopular Marco is. We know belters were celebrating the attacks en masse. And his big attack at the Ring Gate didn't suffer any defections and people seem to chant his name quite a bit. I'd say Maro is as popular among belters as Osama Bin Laden is to your average poor person living in the Islamic world (very popular?). The one defection we see is Drummer, and Drummer is a half-belter, compromised by working for Inners. She was shooting down Belter refugee ships at Medina station and hunting OPA pirates for chrissake. We as the audience love her but she's a goddamn traitor.

splifyphus posted:

Marco is very much a dramatic analog to Osama Bin Laden. It is ludicrous and dangerous to think people living under a colonial boot will not lash back with extreme and dramatic violence given an opportunity. And the show has shown narratively what happens to workers who attempt to organize and improve their material conditions. They get wiped out. Which I think you'd agree is what colonial capitalism does, both at home and abroad. You can't make deals with the United States hegemony, we do coups, give weapons to crony dictators, support death squads, use sanctions and drop bombs on any uppity regional power that doesn't take a knee. Leftists groups within the US were also crushed with extreme state violence throughout the 60's and 70's.

splifyphus posted:

Where the heck does the Expanse ever say capitalism is good? And who the heck is an anarchist in the show? Marco ain't no anarchist.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

splifyphus posted:

e: Let's do an actual analysis.

splifyphus posted:

No actual Belter

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cjg posted:

Am I color blind? I thought they were orange.

The eye of an angry god was orange, but the S5 finale bit was red.

It would be pretty funny if the ring builders turned out to be horrible imperialists and the Enemy-Aliens were just smashing up gates to stop these assholes from ruining the rest of the galaxy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

splifyphus posted:

nice meltdown

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Imagine being so pumped up on marxism that you write that screed and your class analysis cannot account for the existence of terrorism

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Since the season is over lock and close thread.

Leave the book spoiler thread open.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Alchenar posted:

Imagine being so pumped up on marxism that you write that screed and your class analysis cannot account for the existence of terrorism

More than accounting for it, it's directly performative. The equivalent of dropping rocks on the thread.

Will we respond the way Delgado would, or heed Avasarala's wisdom?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

From what I gather the two alien species are like the protheans and reapers in Mass Effect if that helps.

I think Holden is pretty much the only guy in the show that believes that the red swooshing aliens exist. Maybe Fred too before he died.

Dr. Okoye too, she saw them when she fell through the black hole thing

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Wait, the White Walkers were the baddies?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Rabbah Dinghy Rapids, Beratna

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Phi230 posted:

Rabbah Dinghy Rapids, Beratna

The crow plot didn't work since in 4 Lions they didn't have Martian stealth tech.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Are we meant to think every belter is a weird elongated skinny person like that belter Avasarala was torturing in the first(?) episode? And they aren't doing that because that's a boatload of cgi they don't have the budget for? Bull was calling them "skinnies" so I'm leaning towards "yes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

stratdax posted:

Are we meant to think every belter is a weird elongated skinny person like that belter Avasarala was torturing in the first(?) episode? And they aren't doing that because that's a boatload of cgi they don't have the budget for? Bull was calling them "skinnies" so I'm leaning towards "yes".

Yes. That guy in the first episode wasn't even as lanky and tall as they're supposed to be, but he was as close as you'd get with actual humans that exist.