Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

respect the egg strategy

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Trash Ops posted:

respect the egg strategy

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

bringing an entire carton of fresh eggs to smash onto the board when my opponent tries the kookaburra laugh loop strat again

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

did board game night wth my dudes, we wanted a lighter night so we played bohnanza (lost by two points) and fantastic factories (won by two points). we were talking about playing twilight imperium over the weekend and i really friggin hope that comes through.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fungah! posted:

did board game night wth my dudes, we wanted a lighter night so we played bohnanza (lost by two points) and fantastic factories (won by two points). we were talking about playing twilight imperium over the weekend and i really friggin hope that comes through.

Out of all the big experience 4x games I've played I recommend Forbidden Stars the most. Out of print now but you can get it on tabletop sim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSHz2-Xg3eM

It has the big game experience of expanding tech level and building armies across a wide galactic map but repackages the experience as a very cuthroat and fast paced capture the flag fight in a bar-room where no alliance can be relied on and the goal is just to spread to specific strategic points and hold them for 1 turn, which really changes the focus of strategy and means even somebody you thought was knocked out can sneak their way to victory without being the strongest player.

has a real fun combination dice and cards subgame for combat resolution too.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Wow!

herculon posted:

I impulse bought Wingspan. Played around a bit last night and looking forward to gathering some birds.

Good call!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the bird game sounds like its loving awesome, ive gotta make a new boardgame crew

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the imp zone tabletop RPG and Cool Bird thread

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

best decision I ever made was kicking light elves / dark elves to the curb, and replacing them with harpies and offbrand dunmer

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
I played Viticulture a couple of months back at my boardgame-crazed friends place. It's an awesome game where you build a winery, choose specific grapes and make wine to sell. Really fun and strategic.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mordekai posted:

I played Viticulture a couple of months back at my boardgame-crazed friends place. It's an awesome game where you build a winery, choose specific grapes and make wine to sell. Really fun and strategic.

does yennifer move in if you win?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ok I'm going to talk a lot about In Nomine and why it's wicked jank that deserves a better system and company running it, here's some music that makes this fun to write

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWL8RogROr8

so we're going back to 1997 when D&D's power as the #1 Satan Kill murder game was waning, and you had much stronger freaks standing up, especially in the form of White Wolf which was mostly played by fat dudes in trench coats who gulped down air like they were trying to eat it. amazing poo poo with vampires and werewolves and LOTS of rape. now Steve Jackson Games was around and still doing GURPS, mostly failing at it because Steve Jackson is a scientologist rear end who surrounds himself with engineers and PhD graybeards who love sucking each other off. they see WW and think they need to get in on that poo poo, they need an edgy, dark, modern-day secret-war game but all the cool supernatural beings were already rolling in mountains of WW blow and weren't going to party with graybeards.

Instead, they looked at a French RPG called In Nomine Satanis / Magna Veritas, which was a vicious satire about Catholicism with a mostly comedic setting with angels and demons being rock stars and politicians. Steve Crackerjacks gets the lightbulb and gets the rights, and then makes a conceptually cool American take on the idea to use as their White Wolf challenger

only they managed it like blockheads and it turned into a disaster despite its very strong premise. So the idea is that In Nomine takes place in modern times. By default (this is a VERY flexible campaign setting by ground-up design) God and Lucifer are real, religion is real, there are angels and demons and they can't wait to gently caress with you. angels are supposed to be good/selfless, demons are supposed to be bad/selfish. they get chosen to go to earth and fight in a cold war while humans are unaware of all this.

there's a really huge musical motif awkwardly fingerpainted all over the setting. angels and demons have races, called Choirs and Bands. they each get an innate power and a drawback, called resonance and dissonance. there are angels like the Seraph, who is a giant snake with wings and they resonate to detect the truth, and they become dissonant if they every lie. demons are just bad/reverse versions of angels. if a Seraph lies too much they Fall from Grace and become a Balseraph, who can make people believe whatever they say, but become dissonant if someone calls them out on their bullshit.

angels and demons have to serve under a superboss called an Archangel or Demon Prince. they each have a 'Word' which is a concept they embody that gives powers and rules to the ones serving them. there's like Gabriel, the Ofanite Archangel of Fire, Blandine, Cherub Archangel of Dreams, Kobal, Impudite Demon Prince of Dark Humor, Beelzebub, Djinn Demon Prince of Corruption, etc etc etc. So a Seraph of Fire gets a special power for serving Gabriel, but also a special restriction based on Fire.

it's a really enjoyable game premise, since you have to balance your dissonance, your Archangel's demands, their politics with the rest of Heaven and Hell, staying hidden alongside humanity, fighting demons, making deals and allies, and abusing your broken abilities as much as possible to make the GM scream and break your fingers with a hardcover. same on the demon side of playing.

the biggest problem comes from the wildly incoherent tone throughout the books (because the people writing it were insane egomaniacs who hated each other), and the lovely mechanics. you roll 2d6 + 1d6. the 2d6 is your decision dice, where you have to roll-under to succeed. The 1d6 is the Check Digit dice, which determines the degree of success for the roll you made. So if I have Skill 7, I roll the 2d6 and gotta get a 7 or less to succeed, and then compare the Check Digit of 1-6 to see how good I succeeded/failed. this design is incredibly flawed and the game is pretty much unplayable because of it but I played it for years anyways because I'm an addict

there's a bunch more mechanics (Forces, Essence, Songs, Roles) and setting info and other stuff (like playing as humans which is bad because humans are weak as hell, or ethereals who are the dreams / old gods of humanity who got genocided by Heaven, or playing as angel/demon-human hybrids who get murdered by both sides on sight) but I've covered the basics

also the art in the books was true puke, outside of the art done by Ramon Perez who did incredible stuff that actually stuck to the designs written in the book, instead of lovely drawings of humans with feather/leather wings and 200 layers of photoshop filters

here is some Perez stuff

here are examples of the majority of the art in all the books

thanks that's In Nomine the RPG © 1997 Steve Jackson Games

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I dunno man, I think maybe your pitch is more interesting without the history lesson and the attempts at color like "nerds in basements gulping air" or w/e, that's too many words to describe a Steve jackson rpg

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

like any time your game review is like "We were all recovering from the fresh shock of 9/11, and Playstation 2 owners stared with bated breath, listening to the tinkling piano as Tidus told us his story," it's like... why? it's not a college essay, y'know?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I asked my daughter if she'd want to play D&D and she said "yeah but we'll need to get helmets first!”

whatever game she's imagining is probably better

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

I dunno man, I think maybe your pitch is more interesting without the history lesson and the attempts at color like "nerds in basements gulping air" or w/e, that's too many words to describe a Steve jackson rpg

I'm sorry, I should give context as to why I am being mean, it's because I was actually on the same mailing list and chatrooms as a lot of the people writing for or editing In Nomine back in the 2000s, and it was a lot of really strange people who loved the game but wrecked its potential with politics and hangups

The heavy trenchcoat dude playing white wolf is someone who was actually in my highschool

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

like any time your game review is like "We were all recovering from the fresh shock of 9/11, and Playstation 2 owners stared with bated breath, listening to the tinkling piano as Tidus told us his story," it's like... why? it's not a college essay, y'know?

yeah I have a habit of writing like that I need to work on, I felt it was obscure enough an RPG that history would help give context

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P-Mack posted:

I asked my daughter if she'd want to play D&D and she said "yeah but we'll need to get helmets first!”

lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

P-Mack posted:

lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

P-Mack posted:

just play it then!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ah, thanks for this

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

P-Mack posted:

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lmfao. Nice posts lads.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The art comparison made me bust out laughing when the first of the second section was the chainsaw guy.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i want to play LANCER which is a really well regarded tactical game...

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 5, 2021

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Plutonis posted:

lancer is quite good op. i recommend it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

lancer is very cool, probably the best tactical game since 4e

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

That one battle we did for imp D&d was epic and we should do it again. The TTS set up seems good

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i wish i could get my group on that mech bullshit. i want to play lancer so goddamn bad.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

yeah I've never gotten to play it but from reading the book lancer fuckin rips

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
in lancer there's a shotgun for your mech that's so big that it damages units next to it when you eject shells by reloading, that's all you need to know really

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, I'm sold.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Just realized tts is on Mac lol. Down to play something...

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

frankenfreak posted:

Yeah, I'm sold.

now you just need to find a group to play with!!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Just realized tts is on Mac lol. Down to play something...

im in

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I played wingspan last night :cheersdoge:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I played wingspan last night :cheersdoge:

:cheersdoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU