Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I was just gonna post the squeeze squeeze squeeze passage from moby dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I only watch Attack on Titan for the sexual subplots that don't actually exist.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The idea that the internet is responsible for homoerotic male relationships in fiction is such an incredibly big brained take.

Shipping can be irritating but holy gently caress don’t lobotomize yourself to make a lovely point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Terper posted:

You know I was going to write a snide comment and this post deserves it, but whatever. People have to do that because there's incredibly little on the market that features gay love, whereas deep male friendships and familial connections are absolutely everywhere. Sentiments like yours are so backwards and ignorant it genuinely makes me angry.

I thought my response was snide enough. At least enough to hopefully make them unsure of how to respond back and make them think about what they said, lol.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Shipping is only obnoxious when that fandom bleeds over into normal spaces. Then it's super annoying.

chiasaur11 posted:

(Also, the tallest non-titan in the anime is Yelena. It's sometimes hard to notice, but she's something like 6'7''.)

She's a god dang giant in the anime which I never noticed in the manga that's for sure

E: lmao that gay representation is fixed by having bored fans make literally everyone gay

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Could a manga reader post the extended stuff from Bernholdt, Reiner, and Annie's original attack? I like to see the manga stuff they cut out and I'm not sure if anyone posted that one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Could a manga reader post the extended stuff from Bernholdt, Reiner, and Annie's original attack? I like to see the manga stuff they cut out and I'm not sure if anyone posted that one.

It's additional stuff on chapter 96 and a bit from the first part of 97.

https://ww7.readsnk.com/chapter/shingeki-no-kyojin-chapter-096/

Goes a little deeper into their actions inside the walls and thought process behind them. I think it highly unlikely for the skipped elements to be addressed in the anime, since they're minor and with the pace the show's been going and focus shift to the Paradis cast it there's no good place for and little reason to do so.

I liked the leadup to Reiner making out with his rifle much better in the manga.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Eej posted:

Shipping is only obnoxious when that fandom bleeds over into normal spaces. Then it's super annoying.

She's a god dang giant in the anime which I never noticed in the manga that's for sure

E: lmao that gay representation is fixed by having bored fans make literally everyone gay

It used to bug me when I was like 14 that all male relationships in fiction spawned a bunch of "They be loving" takes, but then I stopped reading bad fanfiction and my life has been immeasurably greater for it.

I can't buy Levi and Erwin, Eren and Reiner is the real pair with a history.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Conspiratiorist posted:

Goes a little deeper into their actions inside the walls and thought process behind them. I think it highly unlikely for the skipped elements to be addressed in the anime, since they're minor and with the pace the show's been going and focus shift to the Paradis cast it there's no good place for and little reason to do so.

I liked the leadup to Reiner making out with his rifle much better in the manga.

Thanks!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is great! So much important stuff I wish we got in the anime. Thanks!

As it happened I watched this episode last night, and I think that speech Eren gives Falco about the horror of war encapsulates his mindset perfectly. He knows what he's doing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Eustace posted:

Their relationship is intentionally vague enough that its open to any interpretation that suits your fancy. If you dont want it to be gay then its not gay, just dont freak out if people choose to interpret it differently

I agree.

Terper posted:

You know I was going to write a snide comment and this post deserves it, but whatever. People have to do that because there's incredibly little on the market that features gay love, whereas deep male friendships and familial connections are absolutely everywhere. Sentiments like yours are so backwards and ignorant it genuinely makes me angry.

You should direct your anger at the author, who chose to keep things coy rather than affirm it. If the author has said outright it was a gay relationship, I would have certainly accepted it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Freakazoid_ posted:

I agree.

You should direct your anger at the author, who chose to keep things coy rather than affirm it. If the author has said outright it was a gay relationship, I would have certainly accepted it.

You don't need to weigh in on this, you know. But keep digging that hole, I guess :shrug:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wait, is there no new episode today?!

Also...

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yikes!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

teagone posted:

Wait, is there no new episode today?!

Also...

Yikes!

It's out on Crunchy right now, episode 68

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hulu, pls! :argh:

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Pumped that my theory of Zeke sending a ship full of his folks was correct. I look forward to finding out how many years he's been planning to overthrow Marley and what it entails, because it can't stop with the rumbling.

These episodes always feel like they're 15 minutes long. Did the manga chapters give the equivalent feeling?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Yup! And it's also a month between chapters. The build-up between the time skip and Eren's attack on Liberio was over a year.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
That transition between Eren's shot and the bullet hitting Sasha is just some great stuff. You really feel the impact she had on all their lives and how much less bright their lives are for not having her in it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Great episode, wow. Yelena is great :allears: and the stuff with Nicolo and Sasha — as brief as it was — really was genuinely affecting :cry:

JahRoo posted:

Yup! And it's also a month between chapters. The build-up between the time skip and Eren's attack on Liberio was over a year.

Fuuck, that must've been rough as hell haha. But a holy :wtf: reveal when it dropped, I imagine.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Take this with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere on the internet that sasha's last word wasnt niku (meat). What she was trying to say was Niccolo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Eustace posted:

Take this with a grain of salt, but I read somewhere on the internet that sasha's last word wasnt niku (meat). What she was trying to say was Niccolo

Don't do this to me...

:negative:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eustace posted:

As one of the people who likes that theory, it's (at most) a double meaning. Nico and Niku (meat) are pronounced slightly different, and the manga used the kanji (for concepts) rather than the katakana (for sounds). So, you know. It's possible, but nowhere near a lock.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

teagone posted:

Great episode, wow. Yelena is great :allears: and the stuff with Nicolo and Sasha — as brief as it was — really was genuinely affecting :cry:

Fuuck, that must've been rough as hell haha. But a holy :wtf: reveal when it dropped, I imagine.

All the chapters building up I was thinking "oh man next chapter could be the one where it finally pops off" and I thought that for 4-5 chapters before it finally happened.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

I was joking about Zeke's Freaks seeing the Beast and falling in love but that's exactly what happened. You are a weirdo Yelena.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Suds McBoo posted:

I was joking about Zeke's Freaks seeing the Beast and falling in love but that's exactly what happened. You are a weirdo Yelena.

Yesss! This is why I love her, lmao. I "lol'd" when she had those anime sparkles eyes™ looking up at Zeke in the Beast Titan and remembered that comment from here ITT.

chiasaur11 posted:

As one of the people who likes that theory, it's (at most) a double meaning. Nico and Niku (meat) are pronounced slightly different, and the manga used the kanji (for concepts) rather than the katakana (for sounds). So, you know. It's possible, but nowhere near a lock.

I choose to believe she meant Nico now that we have flashbacks to reframe current context, but also because I'm a sucker for emotional anguish when it comes to bittersweet romance lololol.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Makes sense that Eren would be jailed for what he did. It could have ended up with others trying to kill Eren for his reckless actions leading to the death of Sasha and others.

On a bright side at least those like Nicolo were given equal treatment by Sasha’s comrades and family members.

It’s pretty much world war at this point ain’t it? And forced to use the Rumbling to keep Paradis from being air bombed to a smoldering crater?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Annointed posted:

Makes sense that Eren would be jailed for what he did. It could have ended up with others trying to kill Eren for his reckless actions leading to the death of Sasha and others.

On a bright side at least those like Nicolo were given equal treatment by Sasha’s comrades and family members.

It’s pretty much world war at this point ain’t it? And forced to use the Rumbling to keep Paradis from being air bombed to a smoldering crater?

I mean, is it really a Survey Corps mission if it doesn't end with Eren in jail?

It's a cherished tradition at this point.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, is it really a Survey Corps mission if it doesn't end with Eren in jail?

It's a cherished tradition at this point.

I'm pretty sure Eren lives at the jail now, we haven't seen him live in a house since he was a kid.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

mightygerm posted:

I'm pretty sure Eren lives at the jail now, we haven't seen him live in a house since he was a kid.

He's surprisingly content to go along with it.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
They're pretty much at the mercy of Eren's cooperation. Levi had a fighting chance to deal with a rogue Eren before he got the warhammer. Now? Not so much.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

mightygerm posted:

When you think about it the whole world is a prison.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

When you think about it the whole world is a prison.

If we kill all of our enemies over there....will we finally be free?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Look, I know there's all this nuance in war and indoctrination and trauma.

But any person who kills potato girl is an enemy of mine.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Suds McBoo posted:

Attack on Titan: reject humanity, return to monké

Also I love how the beginning of the ep made it seem like some navy seals sting op was about to go down and then Hange just pops up and goes "HELLOOOOOO WELCOME, PISS PIGS, TO OUR ISLAND"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Annointed posted:

Makes sense that [spoiler]Eren would be jailed for what he did. It could have ended up with others trying to kill Eren for his reckless actions leading to the death of Sasha and others.

It's not exactly for his safety; he is a soldier who not only went AWOL, in doing so essentially stole a weapon of vital importance to his nation and then used it for a premeditated unsanctioned attack, forcing Paradis to launch an operation to support and recover him.

Striking a superior officer is quaint by comparison.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Eren basically unilaterally ensured that peace was impossible. Of course negotiation wouldn't necessarily work but the other scouts were at least considering it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh.

Just realized how Onyankopon's little speech is another parallel to Eren's "We were born into this world".

I mean, it's obvious, since that's one of the central themes of the whole series, but I just hadn't thought about it. It's an even more explicit framing of the mere act of being born as something inherently virtuous.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Attack on Titan: reject humanity, return to monké

Also I love how the beginning of the ep made it seem like some navy seals sting op was about to go down and then Hange just pops up and goes "HELLOOOOOO WELCOME, PISS PIGS, TO OUR ISLAND"

Haha yeah, I love Hange. This episode was great, nice to have some of the earlier humor from old seasons popping back up. This episode felt like 10 minutes long.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

Haha yeah, I love Hange. This episode was great, nice to have some of the earlier humor from old seasons popping back up. This episode felt like 10 minutes long.

It's particularly remarkable since this was a whole lot of setup framed around one character talking to a character frozen in a rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Felt like a spark of hope was snuffed out when there was a montage of "wow better things can be possible in Paradis." Like new food, industry, and not worry about being eaten by Titans anymore.