Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
https://twitter.com/BronsonLee/status/1357159683145019392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
It's broadway for sister fuckers, OP

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I watched the AEW show and it was good

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Itoh has all of my respect

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

wrestling is cool and fun

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's literally just masculine coded soap opera. Infinite repetition of the same few plots switched among various stock characters, never leading to any definitive conclusions.

It's cheap to write and appeals to people on a base level, but some follow it strenuously for no real reason.

So I'm saying you're reverse sexist, op

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bogus Adventure posted:

And of course...

Rey Mysterio was good but have you read the Gospel of Rey Fenix?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like Mick Foley a lot. All of his wrestling characters seemed to be inside jokes he had with himself.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

ikanreed posted:

It's literally just masculine coded soap opera. Infinite repetition of the same few plots switched among various stock characters, never leading to any definitive conclusions.

It's cheap to write and appeals to people on a base level, but some follow it strenuously for no real reason.

It is a cipher in which we project our basest, most presidential desires.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ikanreed posted:

:wth:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Lid posted:

Rey Mysterio was good but have you read the Gospel of Rey Fenix?

Nice, another San Diegan Luchador :hellyeah:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Extra Large Marge posted:

I like Mick Foley a lot. All of his wrestling characters seemed to be inside jokes he had with himself.

his (first) book is really good if you can get a hold of it, particularly for a legitimately self-written autobiography by someone who had to retire in 2000 after getting smashed in the head professionally until he couldn't remember things any more

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FullLeatherJacket posted:

his (first) book is really good if you can get a hold of it, particularly for a legitimately self-written autobiography by someone who had to retire in 2000 after getting smashed in the head professionally until he couldn't remember things any more

Any second hand bookstore like Half Price Books is going to have a copy. They probably have like 100 in the back because that thing sold so many copies.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Bogus Adventure posted:

Nice, another San Diegan Luchador :hellyeah:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ryansatin/status/1281031478785310722
https://mobile.twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1357160666507792384
https://mobile.twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1354625840764612615

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
I did a meet and greet with Foley at our local lovely interior BC indy a couple years back, he’s a nice dude but man he can barely walk felt bad for him

He donated all his money from the show fee and merch/photos to a local charity too

Also a lot of people are shorter than you think when you meet them but drat if he wasn’t taller than I thought, guess he was always hunched over as mankind

Do it ironically fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 5, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Am I the only one who randomly thinks about Kanyon a lot? (edit: well, I guess "a lot" is a bit of an exaggeration, but like, a non-zero amount of time despite the fact that he died over a decade ago.) I liked him a lot, and I felt so bad for him.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

He gave his whole self to wrestling and I appreciate it, but god drat.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

YeahTubaMike posted:

Am I the only one who randomly thinks about Kanyon a lot? (edit: well, I guess "a lot" is a bit of an exaggeration, but like, a non-zero amount of time despite the fact that he died over a decade ago.) I liked him a lot, and I felt so bad for him.

He gave his whole self to wrestling and I appreciate it, but god drat.

Chris Kanyon was great, a top tier wrestler who was one of the first openly gay performers in the modern business

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Chris Kanyon was great, a top tier wrestler who was one of the first openly gay performers in the modern business

How long was Kanyon actually open about it? I'm not trying to minimize the fact that he came out at all, which was obviously difficult considering he tried to make a work out of it -- I'm just curious.

edit: also RIP Pat Patterson

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 5, 2021

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

How long was Kanyon actually open about it? I'm not trying to minimize the fact that he came out at all, which was obviously difficult considering he tried to make a work out of it -- I'm just curious.

edit: also RIP Pat Patterson

'06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKOzxVNcKok

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

:piss: :piss: :piss: :piss: :piss: :piss: :piss:

:piss: :piss: :piss: :piss: :piss: :piss: :piss:

That is loving awesome!!!

I need a Rey Fenix/Maki Itoh tag team to happen now that she's coming to AEW.

https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1356184400069713926

https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1329800414561148933

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zenRHqXrI6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwWNFztMBRo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3su6yly2dQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkkMz8ikfgw

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lid posted:

Videos

Rey rules

larga vida al triángulo de la muerte

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

This is so my poo poo.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bogus Adventure posted:

Itoh has all of my respect
Everyone who respects her should unite in a group, some form of... army perhaps.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

frankenfreak posted:

Everyone who respects her should unite in a group, some form of... army perhaps.

A "respect army"? Nah, that'd never happen...

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

nobody would go for that.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Nobody better than Kanyon. :unsmith:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Me and my buddies used to watch wrestling when we were still babies in the nineties, it was a riot. We even had a live one with us, you know the one that thought the fighting was all real, like it is in boxing :allears:

It is also one of the three things that defines America in my mind: burgers, guns and roided out men and women in spandex hitting each other with folding chairs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Kanyon was cool cuz if you selected his other costumes in WCW vs NWO Revenge you could be MORTIS

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Do it ironically posted:

Also a lot of people are shorter than you think when you meet them but drat if he wasn’t taller than I thought, guess he was always hunched over as mankind

The thing about 'short' wrestlers from that era is that compared to regular folk they're tall, they were just surrounded by absolute giants at the wwf

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

verbal enema posted:

Kanyon was cool cuz if you selected his other costumes in WCW vs NWO Revenge you could be MORTIS

I didn't know Kanyon and Mortis were the same person until WELL after he died. I felt like a total moron.

Skarsnik posted:

The thing about 'short' wrestlers from that era is that compared to regular folk they're tall, they were just surrounded by absolute giants at the wwf

Speaking of short wrestlers from that era, Kidman was and is bae.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

A lot of this has aged very badly but Scott Steiner is probably pro wrestling personified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD9SXH4T4Fc

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

CptAwesome posted:

A lot of this has aged very badly but Scott Steiner is probably pro wrestling personified

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD9SXH4T4Fc

The Steiner brothers were huge pieces of poo poo, but they were loving talented. Scott was juiced up on roids, but still able to do acrobatics and high-flying stunts like the Frankensteiner.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

Nobody better than Kanyon. :unsmith:

One Kanyon's prize students was sentient beef golem Brian Cage, who to this day still does little Kanyon shoutouts here and there (most recently in his AEW promos). It is extremely wholesome and makes me smile every time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

gently caress off Batman posted:

you know the one that thought the fighting was all real, like it is in boxing :allears:

Not sure I’d use the highly compromised sport of boxing as the ‘this is all real’ comparative.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Not sure I’d use the highly compromised sport of boxing as the ‘this is all real’ comparative.

Come on, you know what I meant. I used boxing because it was and still is a known and popular fighting sport, not because it's the perfect example.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Once the Undertaker kidnapped Stone Cold Steve Austin and was going to embalm him alive. Things could have got real nasty had Kane not turned up in the nick of time!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Steiner brothers were huge pieces of poo poo, but they were loving talented. Scott was juiced up on roids, but still able to do acrobatics and high-flying stunts like the Frankensteiner.

It really wasn't until the final year or two of WCW did Scott Steiner decline to the point where he's really just a meme worth a laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Bogus Adventure posted:

One of them has a deformed chest that he's repeatedly tried to cover up with tattoos and stupid hats. At some point you just put on a loving shirt dude.

e: It's Scott

Prof. Crocodile fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 7, 2021