Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

skaianDestiny posted:

Yeah blue builds are poo poo for anything other than PvP. Red and skill builds are balanced for PvE, not so much blue.

I’ll put on a blue shield build when my pubbies are absolute morons who should be playing below heroic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Hulk Krogan posted:

I do this, and I also put CHC mods in my armor slots on my turret/drone build since skill haste isn't super important there anyway. It's really nice not being limited to a pea shooter on a SHD wizard build for once.

Anyway I took the advice to switch my ND build to all reds and yeah, you all were right. Who needs defense when everything is dead?

Blue core fox’s prayer

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Blue core fox’s prayer

Oh yea. I also got a spare prayer from a named cache yesterday. Since I already optimized a perfect one i threw a blue core on this one cause why not, might come in handy for pvp or something.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

UnknownMercenary posted:

If you're impressed with HF now wait til you run it with a full damage setup.

What Spec are you guys running for HR? Between Gunner spec, Liquid Engineer (Perfect Bloodsucker & Belstone Armory), Belstone Armory chest with Intimidate, and The Mop I'm getting 30% armor on plus 12% more as bonus. Swinging from near death to full armor (plus more) is a massive thrill.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got Waveform, is it worth throwing in the basic skill build (3 empress, 2 hana, 1 wyvern?) I'll probably swap one empress for it. A rotating 30% damage on skill sounds pretty juicy and well worth over 10% efficiency.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

BexGu posted:

What Spec are you guys running for HR? Between Gunner spec, Liquid Engineer (Perfect Bloodsucker & Belstone Armory), Belstone Armory chest with Intimidate, and The Mop I'm getting 30% armor on plus 12% more as bonus. Swinging from near death to full armor (plus more) is a massive thrill.

Assuming by "HR" you meant "HF"...

To quote myself from last week: Firewall for close-range damage and, with a directive: lots of armor kits

Morter posted:

My current Hunter's Fury build is all except a Liquid Engineer backpack (Talent: Perfect Bloodsucker - Killing an enemy adds and refreshes a stack of +12% bonus armor for 10s. Max stack is 10) and Deathgrip gloves (+10% armor on kill). Using Lady Death I'm sprinting all about, wrecking most things on challenging with ease. Even tanks get a flurry of souped up SMG rounds surgically plastered into their kidneys and go down without too much trouble. The backpack is great for getting a little murder-fueled damage buffer as you sprint from one prey enemy to the next, with LD keeping up your power and movement speed as you stay in short range. Due to both preference and HF's bonuses, I keep a shotgun as my secondary. It's great for chewing up enemy armor, and a semi-auto one (ie: The Mop with Preservation) will very nicely keep the pressure on them and keep your health topped up. Once you feel comfortable with something different, a pump action shotgun with Pummel is absolutely murderous and you'll clear out entire rooms without reloading if you play it right.

Clearly your downside is ranged so even in a place like that Washington Hotel where there are forced medium-range encounters, you might have a bit of an issue.These can be circumvented by things like having a longer range/harder hitting pistol, or a skill you can throw at enemies to keep them pressured.

Personally, my skills are EMP Pulse and Firewall shield--as the class itself benefits from close-range killing, as does the shield (Fun tip: If you use the directive "Hard to Earn", you'll be swimming in medkits, because all the close range kills will quickly fill up the Special Bar). EMP pulse helps deal with annoying Black Tusk or other tech assets, and good for giving you a second to pummel or lunge for weak points.

Even on Challenging, it makes things a breezy cakewalk, but still a thrilling execution of speed to keep your squishy rear end alive. I hope you have fun with it. :buddy:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The best way to run hf imo is adrenaline rush/intimidate, firewall striker shield, 4 piece hf on the other slots, a shitload of crit damage, your best smg and shotgun, and 3-5 blue rolls (I like 4 armor rolls)

Yeah you would absolutely melt everything with 6 reds, but you already do without them since you're stacking so much damage amplification from other sources, you're just gilding the lily at that point. The 4 blues goes a lot further than a little bit of extra damage and you get some crazy survivability with the armor and huge boost to your shield's skill tier.

It's good solo, it's good in a group, it's good in the dz, it's good in conflict, hell it's even decent as a raid dps build, and I've used it very successfully in all these roles. Probably the only thing it's not great for is legendary where close quarters fighting is very inadvisable.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got Waveform, is it worth throwing in the basic skill build (3 empress, 2 hana, 1 wyvern?) I'll probably swap one empress for it. A rotating 30% damage on skill sounds pretty juicy and well worth over 10% efficiency.

I have read it's like a ~5% boost in total damage replacing a piece out of that build, but I'm not at all sure. It's nice but not essential territory. That said I'd suggest you not replace 3pc Empress.

10% skill efficiency is 10% each of Skill Damage, Skill Haste, Skill Duration, Skill Health, Repair Skills, and Status Effects. I'd look at swapping out the Wyvern piece if you can.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

BexGu posted:

Firewall, Ceska/Grupo for as much crit as possible, crit rolls everywhere. Stack damage, damage and more damage.

Pummel 870 is the main work horse. Strained AK is for when I need a bit of range, or when I want more effectiveness against robots. Also works pretty well up close too. Orbit to finish off stragglers and get a crit boost. Sometimes I switch the AK for a Strained MPX just to mix it up. I'll switch the 870 for the Scorpio if I'm feeling particularly lazy.

The only real downside to this build is tanks, or arenas with long sightlines and little cover. I have M1A builds and Negotiator's for those situations but this HF build is my main setup.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

tweet my meat posted:

The best way to run hf imo is adrenaline rush/intimidate, firewall striker shield, 4 piece hf on the other slots, a shitload of crit damage, your best smg and shotgun,
:hmmorks:

quote:

and 3-5 blue rolls (I like 4 armor rolls)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
So since ive got all sorts of maxed gear sets I figured its time to finally go hunt hunters. Does global difficulty effect them?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yea. The reanimated event. There is a vendor next to the white house spawn point that lets you trade in stars youve earned during the event for all sorts of caches.

I had no idea you could turn in credits for caches and I've been playing this game since it launched so thanks for the response. Then again I've avoided most of the gimmick events for whatever reason so that makes sense I suppose.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Firewall shield really makes that much difference for Hunter's Fury? But I like my incendiary grenades and crossbow from Survivalist :argh:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Orange Carlisle posted:

I had no idea you could turn in credits for caches and I've been playing this game since it launched so thanks for the response. Then again I've avoided most of the gimmick events for whatever reason so that makes sense I suppose.

They only added it this season.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Firewall shield really makes that much difference for Hunter's Fury? But I like my incendiary grenades and crossbow from Survivalist :argh:

You need to be really close to make HF effective and the shield is for eating up some shots when they're not stunned because of HF procs. I had a survivalist build for groups but used mender seeker, repair drone and mechanical animal to buff these skills to heal others.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Capn Beeb posted:

Yes it does. You get a damage bonus for every enemy in front of your shield (10% maxed out with mods).

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The flamethrower is also pretty decent emergency CC, which is more than you can really say for most of the other specialization weapons.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So since ive got all sorts of maxed gear sets I figured its time to finally go hunt hunters. Does global difficulty effect them?

Yes. You can just set the world difficulty to normal and get all that done; beats leaving it on Heroic and having to jump through all the hoops of spawning them again if you fail to kill them.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Hulk Krogan posted:

The flamethrower is also pretty decent emergency CC, which is more than you can really say for most of the other specialization weapons.

I'll have you know, I got 3 rocket kills in our heroic cp runs yesterday.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I ran a conflict build without the firewall shield for a while because i didn't want to do the field research, it definitely helps quite a bit in a way that synergizes perfectly with hf and intimidate, but it's not necessary.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I'll have you know, I got 3 rocket kills in our heroic cp runs yesterday.

It doesn't count if you ran out of ammo on all your other guns after the third convoy rolled through.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Yes. You can just set the world difficulty to normal and get all that done; beats leaving it on Heroic and having to jump through all the hoops of spawning them again if you fail to kill them.

Huh ok. I had pretty much assumed not as ive been on hard difficulty but they still put out pretty solid damage. Killed 7 so far tonight. Waiting for night time to do Washington monument, and then not sure what to do for xmas tree as the 4 spawn kills me instantly even with 1.3 armor. Maybe ill try dropping to normal.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Huh ok. I had pretty much assumed not as ive been on hard difficulty but they still put out pretty solid damage. Killed 7 so far tonight. Waiting for night time to do Washington monument, and then not sure what to do for xmas tree as the 4 spawn kills me instantly even with 1.3 armor. Maybe ill try dropping to normal.

Do you have Ridgeway's chest already? It requires 2 Hunter kills for the project completion and the secret ones count. Otherwise you have to fight all the way to the top of the Summit again.

boscoman
May 14, 2004

Eats like a meal...

SpaceCadetBob posted:

And don't make the mistake that I did the other night. I left the reanimation event on when I fought the group of 4 New York hunters. I had to kill a couple of them several times. :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I got my first exotic today, Chameleon, and then another Chameleon with better rolls about one minute later. I like it. Also found a Sweet Dreams which at least made me go and listen to some good music.

The technical issues with this patch seem..worse than before. I've only had one CTD but today alone I had like four instances of the game just locking up and needing to be process killed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I get a CTD at least once per session. Thankfully you can restart and get thrown back into your party/session and not see another crash but man it's annoying as hell. I haven't had in crash in years and this last patch started this poo poo.

I'm kinda enjoying the skiull build life. It's my most optimized build and turret/drone just melts heavies in a way my other builds can't plus I can stay the gently caress away. I need a good day or two of farming for HF/Scorpio to really get it tuned. I've definitely noticed the need to get some armor cores instead of all reds. My pestilence build is close to maxed but it's kinda slow and too safe.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 7, 2021

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Just rolling through Summit, HF/Memento/Scorpio/Firewall shield, only things that came came close to downing me were the terminal hack x3 section full of drones, and the SHD hack in the middle of an H-shaped hallway with Hyenas literally spawning in the open, not out of a closet. And this is with almost half the spec points - I think I have one bar of shotgun, and everything else in the fun stuff.

Note: due to head-hitbox fuckery for the zombvent, minigun is fine for the headshot reanimated w/spec weapon challenge.

58 stars turned into Named caches, got a bunch of dupes but some were significantly better than what i had.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Finally got caught up with Manhunt and also finished the weekly projects. Kinda all in on Scorpio/HF bullshit, the playstyle is really fun and the control it has over a fight is awesome. Now to optimize the hell out of it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've been having crashes as well. Usually toward the end of a heroic control point for whatever reason.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

Yes, but it's more than the shield. Firewall itself gives you the unique 10% CHD grip, better class mods for the shield, health on kill, burn enemies on armor break, damage amp for your teammates to enemies close to you, and the flamethrower is basically a perfect third weapon for HF, especially since you can use it with the shield. It's a lot of small things that are all perfectly suited for HF's role of close range.

now are all these literally necessary - no. are they stacking the deck in your favor as you go up the difficulty level/group scaling ladder, yes. Up to you how far you go up that ladder.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

finished my first Heroic Summit yesterday when I lucked into matchmaking with someone at floor 94. learned a HF/Scorpio/Memento build is even better than I thought and, when I tried switching to another loadout for the final floor, my other builds were not that good. but I also got a Vile mask from the summit project cache so I guess I should make something with that.

still not a fan of shooting through a doorway for 20 minutes. kinda tired of playing levels that end up that way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As long as almost all of the boss enemies are good at everything - guns, health, skills - at once then that's pretty much the only thing to do against them. Especially hunters because the margin for error is basically 0.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
I killed the two hunters solo on heroic the first time I did it (not my first attempt, mind you) because I didn’t know the meta was to sit back in the door.

It’s possible legit 1v2 but I don’t understand how you could do it 4v5 because like one nice oxidizer shot can gently caress up everything and they can hit anyone on your team from anywhere.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I killed the two hunters solo on heroic the first time I did it (not my first attempt, mind you) because I didn’t know the meta was to sit back in the door.
It’s possible legit 1v2 but I don’t understand how you could do it 4v5 because like one nice oxidizer shot can gently caress up everything and they can hit anyone on your team from anywhere.
We wiped once, after that it was mostly getting one to come to the door then throwing down foam bombs and unloading on them until they died, repeat

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

How's the first raid these days, now that everyone is level 40? There any particular builds you need or is it just standard red crit M1/AR builds?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's still all dps, the raid, but M1A isn't the only thing capable of doing it. Easier at 40 than it was at 30. Your real challenge is finding 7 other people to run it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

skaianDestiny posted:

Yes it does. You get a damage bonus for every enemy in front of your shield (10% maxed out with mods).

Hulk Krogan posted:

Well poo poo, guess I'm swapping over. I mostly like my crossbow for black tusk mechs and heavy enemies :haw:

Psion posted:

Yes, but it's more than the shield. Firewall itself gives you the unique 10% CHD grip, better class mods for the shield, health on kill, burn enemies on armor break, damage amp for your teammates to enemies close to you, and the flamethrower is basically a perfect third weapon for HF, especially since you can use it with the shield. It's a lot of small things that are all perfectly suited for HF's role of close range.

now are all these literally necessary - no. are they stacking the deck in your favor as you go up the difficulty level/group scaling ladder, yes. Up to you how far you go up that ladder.

The 10% CHD grip is cool, too bad I can't put it on my Thompson :argh: It's still weird to me that we can't just unlock grenade types on a specialization and swap between them tho.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Roman posted:

We wiped once, after that it was mostly getting one to come to the door then throwing down foam bombs and unloading on them until they died, repeat

I've done Heroic Summit floor 100 a few times now due to luck, and yeah that's the only way. Once you're down to a single hunter, the team can go in, rush the Hunter and DPS him.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Welp, got all but one challenge done in the Zombvent by way of grinding Summit (on Normal, because I'm old and slow) = Hunter's Laptop/Trauma chest/Memento, Scorpio/Grudge, healybird/Firewall shield - and actually completed the tower. Didn't help that my shield glitched exiting the elevator on 3-lieutenant floor, and was undeployable until I cleared that section. :ohdear:

On to Ridgeway's Prick! Ahhh, poo poo. Only had one Zero F's left, because I ground up the shittier ones to make room in my stash. :suicide: Still need one Hyena key, but that's doable. I'd also stopped at level 91 to go clear Wall Street*, so I've got every Named faction elite to do, plus the rogues (who showed up at the spiral ramp at Wall Street) and Hunters. Wonder if I can cheese the Hunters with this build after the Zombvent ends? Definitely seems that the headbox is more vulnerable currently, shotgun headpopping waaaay the gently caress out there, or using my minigun for the event challenge.

Oh, and the last challenge I am likely not even trying to do? Control point full reanimation without leaving the zone, don't think i can pull that off even on Normal.

* - WS I did with Hardwired/Empress, Capacitor/Baker's Dozen (that never got pulled out), turret/drone and still using Firewall spec so not fully pimped for gunstuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Like I was saying the other day, that room they want you to fight in is just the shittiest design possible.
Big rear end open floor with scattered cover points, and then the upper ground part where the hunters will most likely stage themselves the entire fight to rain death down on you.
Did they really think people were going to not just stay in the reception area and hug that desk for dear life?

Also lmao at the oxidizer, because that one shot that hunter got off insta killed 3 of us, and came from outta loving nowhere