Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

Nope, I have a pair of 120mm rads. Specifically 120mm x 28mm, so they're on the thin side (otherwise only one fits). Behold my house of poor choices!

As far as "doing well," keeping a 320W GPU under 70C in a lovely case is already asking a fair amount from 240mm worth of rads. Throwing another 50-75W of CPU in there with a X570 chipset and some lights belching excess heat (why the hell are the UV lights that hot?) and I'm actually very pleasantly surprised.

I'll run the tests here in a few and get back to you two, but I'm not sure what you're looking for out of them: I'm pumping 300-400W of heat into a system with no effective res in a case well known for lovely airflow, and while 2x120 rads are keeping things below thermal limiting break points, they're obviously undersized for the task at hand (at least in the sense that everyone going into watercooling seems to obsess over keeping temps ultra low--this setup actually ends up being considerably quieter and cooler than the air setup beforehand, and they're no longer thermally limited, so in that sense the rads could be argued to be viably, if not optimally, sized for this).

It's mostly me being really curious as to why the CPU is reading so hot. But enough about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Make sure you check the o-ring!

But yeah, Zen3 just runs hot. 7nm means silly high heat density, so even with very good cooling it's not unusual to see higher temp readings than you'd expect--even if the coolant isn't warming up all that much; it's just harder to get the heat out of the die in the first place than with previous generations. Even open-air test benches with good coolers are seeing stuff like ~40C idle temps and loads in the 70C range.

e; There's some churn that this might be because AMD right now has set very aggressive power profiles and are over-volting the chips considerably, but my motherboard / chip / BIOS combo right now means that even a -1 offset with PBO2 immediately makes it unstable, so I'll have to re-attack undervolting later.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 25, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

DrDork posted:

Well I'm not really running a "recommended" loop here in the first place:...But with this thing, there absolutely are hotter/colder portions of the loop.
You should have warmer water and hotter component temps, but the water should still be consistent anywhere in the loop.

Input and output on which component(s) got switched? CPU blocks tend to be sensitive to in/out, but that's an extreme difference for just that change.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 25, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ilkhan posted:

You should have warmer water and hotter component temps, but the water should still be consistent anywhere in the loop.

Input and output on which component(s) got switched? CPU blocks tend to be sensitive to in/out, but that's an extreme difference for just that change.

Input/Output for the CPU block / pump / res combo. Basically it's running backwards now. So before it was Res/Pump/CPU -> Rad -> Rad -> GPU -> Res/Pump/CPU, now it's Res/Pump/CPU <- Rad <- Rad <- GPU <- Res/Pump/CPU.

I think the high heat generation (~400W), low liquid volume, and low rad surface combines to exaggerate the impacts of ordering more than you'd see in a normal setup.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Since they don't actually have a sensor on the fluid temp, we don't actually know that the fluid has a significant temp, only an anecdote that there was an observed temperature difference between the components, which we don't have reliable testing data for.

DrDork posted:

Input/Output for the CPU block / pump / res combo. Basically it's running backwards now. So before it was Res/Pump/CPU -> Rad -> Rad -> GPU -> Res/Pump/CPU, now it's Res/Pump/CPU <- Rad <- Rad <- GPU <- Res/Pump/CPU.

I think the high heat generation (~400W), low liquid volume, and low rad surface combines to exaggerate the impacts of ordering more than you'd see in a normal setup.

It's still just so improbable it defies belief, given how many controlled tests out there show that order doesn't matter (and flow rate has very minor impact outside of edge case low flow situations). Even your 'extreme' scenario is no more than you doing stupid things with an Eisbaer + Eiswolf pseudo-AIO, which I would never hypothesize these results for. But I'm obsessive enough about this that if I had your system I'd have already bought a coolant sensor and done those tests I recommended on both configurations because I wouldn't be able to sleep until I could explain the behavior :sweatdrop:

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
The only thing that matters is taking note of jet plates on blocks, such as a CPU block. Water should be IN to the jet plate and OUT of the other port. These are usually labeled.

Otherwise you aren't going to see a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnPB_q51iVk

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ak Gara posted:

I think I'm gonna have to do something, even when it's all finished it's going to be a dust magnet.

What case is that? It looks so roomy.

Riflen
Mar 13, 2009

"Cheating bitch"
Bleak Gremlin

Combat Pretzel posted:

What case is that? It looks so roomy.

Lian Li PC-V3000.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Yup. It's a nice case. Everyone was doing the o11 dynamic but I wanted something different with dual thick 420mm rads. I think the V3000 is discontinued now though which is a shame.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ak Gara posted:

I think the V3000 is discontinued now though which is a shame.
Ah goddamnit.

Most cases are made for AIOs. As it seems. That or you need to put a watercooler on the graphics card, too.

Same issue I have with my H700, my 3080 TUF is too long to fit a reservoir reasonably.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Corsair semi ripped off lian li and made a gigantic version of the 4000D called.... the 5000D

https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categ...p/CC-9011211-WW

Heres the 4000D, check out the difference in top AIO clearance.
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Mid-Tower-ATX-Cases/4000D-Airflow-Tempered-Glass-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011200-WW

I still like the 500D I own but 6 intake fans is making me jealous.

edit: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/obsidian-500d-case 500D link

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Some other super towers I was considering are the Corsair 900D, Thermaltake The Tower 900 (dual 560mm rad, but with no airflow over motherboard), Thermaltake Core W100 (3x 140mm in front and 4x 140mm or 3x 200mm on top) and the Thermaltake Core X9 just because how insane it was.

W100

Core X9

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Here I am buying parts for a water loop for whenever AMD starts making CPUs again.

I've already got the pump/block/rad that I wanted; nothing fancy. Is there a general consensus on where to go for everyday fittings, tubes, and those fiddly parts? Kind of like monoprice, but for water stuff, is what I could use recs on. Thanks.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

https://www.performance-pcs.com/
https://www.titanrig.com
https://www.modmymods.com
And sometimes amazon if you know what you’re after. For cheaper fittings, I like barrow or Touchaqua by bitspower.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Right on. Thank you!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

If I run out of 6 pin pcie to molex slots on my power supply, can I put the 6 pin pcie into an 8 pin slot? I have a lot of items that require molex power and I want to avoid chaining too many on one strip.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Rebuilt my system. New CPU/GPU/Motherboard. Case and loop stay the same. Ran overnight leak test, everything checks out good. Reboot system and start formatting drives to reinstall windows and start fresh. System hangs, blue screens. Then that burning plastic smell we all dread. Oh no what did I do?

I didn't notice that the pump wasn't running. The CPU was overheating, the water block on it was hot to the touch.

The good news is that the smell seems to have come from the pump itself. I guess it just chose this exact moment to burn itself out. I tried hooking it up to different power connectors, even an old PSU. No dice.

I hope nothing else got fried, but I'm going to have to wait a week and a half to find out. I head out of town Tuesday morning and the local Microcenter doesn't have squat for pumps.

:argh:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I think all new CPU's have very good shutdown protection so it's probably fine.

Pump failure is one of the reasons I went with dual pumps, with a flow sensor to an Aquaero 6 to let me know / shut the system down if there's no flow.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Ak Gara posted:

I think all new CPU's have very good shutdown protection so it's probably fine.

Pump failure is one of the reasons I went with dual pumps, with a flow sensor to an Aquaero 6 to let me know / shut the system down if there's no flow.

Normally pump RPM dropping to zero would cause an alert.

If, you know, that software wasn't in the process of being wiped from the drive.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Got shipping confirmation from DHL on my water block. Gotta decide if I'm ballsy enough to go through with doing liquid metal on my 3080 FE or not.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I'm building out a new pc and picked a bad time to do it because AMD does't produce CPUs anymore.; however, this has given me a lot of time to buy all the other poo poo, including a big fuckoff water system I've always wanted to do.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm buying pumps, radiators, blocks and tubing. I work out of my garage and have always just had my working pc siting out here with me, bare, without a case. No plans on changing that, so I'm not limited in size/scope. Oh, I'll make some sort of wooden tray/frame to hold it all, but the innards will mostly be exposed. It's super fun and there's a ton of possibilities.

I just bought something that looks like a giant bong. I'm told this is a D5 pump with 400ml reservoir, but whatever it is, it's pretty big.

It's doing this kind of stuff that's been keeping me sane (I think).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I'm building out a new pc and picked a bad time to do it because AMD does't produce CPUs anymore.; however, this has given me a lot of time to buy all the other poo poo, including a big fuckoff water system I've always wanted to do.

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm buying pumps, radiators, blocks and tubing. I work out of my garage and have always just had my working pc siting out here with me, bare, without a case. No plans on changing that, so I'm not limited in size/scope. Oh, I'll make some sort of wooden tray/frame to hold it all, but the innards will mostly be exposed. It's super fun and there's a ton of possibilities.

I just bought something that looks like a giant bong. I'm told this is a D5 pump with 400ml reservoir, but whatever it is, it's pretty big.

It's doing this kind of stuff that's been keeping me sane (I think).

Half the fun of my current build is that I have no idea what I'm doing. Sure I'm going to end up with a handful of left over unused fittings because I don't know what I need. Plus I decided 90 degree fittings look better than 45 degree ones. Then changed my mind about PETG and changed to acrylic because it cuts much better. Then changed my pumps from the kind with a speed dial on them to software controlled pwm pumps, and changed from Corsair LED's to Aquacomputer LED's because I hate Corsair's LED control software and I'll probably change things still before the build is done but it's a continuous flowing process.

I'm currently trying to decide if I should get a second small power supply (Corsair SF450) dedicated to powering the pumps just so it makes filling the loop easier as once all the tubes are in, it's going to be a pain to plug all the cables into the motherboard and gpu.

I also just brought a 24 pin + internal usb 3.0 90 degree adapters, and they look so much better than the cables sticking up vertically and having to do a 180 in the air. Might try and get some for the dual 8 pin EPS my motherboard uses, plus some 8 pin PCIE 180 degree ones.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Ak Gara posted:

Half the fun of my current build is that I have no idea what I'm doing.

Yes! As you pointed out, there's this whole RGB ecosystem, but I didn't know that until after I've bought most of this stuff from various manufacturers. And that's okay -- I'll see if I can get something to work out of it all and have fun doing it. I'm giving myself permission to be a dumbass and make mistakes. It's fun!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I had to pull off some real magic to get the LED's to work. (First I had to learn about 12v RGB vs 5v D-RGB)

This is the Phanteks Halo Lux Digital

It ends in a fan style 3 pin large connector.

Which plugs into a D-RGB Motherboard adapter

Which then plugs into this

Then into this

Which finally plugs into the Farbwerk 360

The Phanteks Neon strips work the same way.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
okay wow, that's some next-level stuff

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

And I have 3 farbwerk 360's, 7 fans, 7 phanteks halo's, 4 phanteks neon strips, several farbwerk d-rgb strips, d-rgb cpu block, d-rgb gpu block and 2 pumps. My back panel is going to be a MESS. Nothing like the computer I'm using as inspiration.

[edit]
vs mine: (now I feel bad)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 3, 2021

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

3080 FE block arrived. The machining marks are visible on the non-contact surfaces, but are mostly polished off the contact surfaces. I don't think they'll be a problem. Placed my order for the rest of the parts I need today, so I expect mid next week I should be able to put this thing together

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

vs mine (don't feel too bad)

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

No kids, no cats, no case.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Is this what a homeless PC looks like? :ohdear:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

You may not like it...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That's the stuff of nightmares.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Don't listen to the haters, you go collect that insurance money.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
right. well, i'm trying to replace all that with something that includes water cooling. i'll be back to show off when this project is done. that is, provided i don't reach under my motherboard while it's plugged in again. that'll wake you up.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm waiting for a couple of 14mm spacers so the CPU fitting will be inline with the radiator fitting, ETA a month :/

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Ak Gara posted:

I'm waiting for a couple of 14mm spacers so the CPU fitting will be inline with the radiator fitting, ETA a month :/

My kingdom for a spacer! I won't tell you how long I stared at this trying to figure out how you got the tubing tucked away so nicely.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Which tube? The one on the left is bottom rad straight up to top rad, I was surprised I only needed a 90 into a 90 fitting for that.

What amazes me is the gpu fitting is perfectly in the same axis as the reservoir. Just a 90 going right to meet the reservoir going up.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

I'm liking those 90 degree adapters for the 24 pin and internal USB 3.0. Still a month away from ordering my cables though as Cablemod are currently busy Doing Stuff™

I did consider doing a GPU CPU Parrallel line setup but they didn't line up so :shrug:

Next bit to do is the flow meter to radiator. Can't really do any more until my spacers arrive for the rad > cpu fitting.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
looking good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Why not extend the GPU > Res connection a bit and save yourself a fitting? Something in the way?