Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Action Movie Streaming February 2021
Netflix - Below Zero
Hulu - Ninja Assassin, The Tax Collector
Tubi - Transporter 3, Haywire
HBO - The Road Warrior, The Matrix 1-3, Kill Bill
Prime - True Lies, Blade of the Immortal, Martial Law 1-2
Hoopla - Mortal Kombat 1-2, xXx 1-2, The One

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Boco_T posted:

Netflix - Below Zero

You know, as goofy and very firmly early 2000s as it is, The One isn't bad. The clone fights are actually pretty well done

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Introducing my next exciting action film, "Scott Adkins fights a spinning pole for 3 minutes" (it's actually pretty cool)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsqnhobNlro

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
That poo poo's hypnotic. But now I want it see a scrub amateur try to use that thing and get hosed up

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Narzack posted:

You know, as goofy and very firmly early 2000s as it is, The One isn't bad. The clone fights are actually pretty well done
I remember, at the time, thinking that it was insanely violent for an American action movie despite the acceptable minimum of blood. Yulaw takes out one of his rivals with a headshot, a major supporting character is killed in cold blood, and a few other things. How far we've come!

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 1, 2021

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Boco_T posted:

Netflix - Below Zero

Oh hell yeah, I’ve been wanting to see Blade of the Immortal.

Somebody mentioned Cannon upthread a bit, and I happened to watch Ninja III: The Domination for the first time over the weekend. What a movie. It drags in parts but it’s weird enough that it never gets boring. The opening action scene on the golf course owns a lot and the ninja fights weren’t nearly as lovely as I was expecting. Pretty fun movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Narzack posted:

That poo poo's hypnotic. But now I want it see a scrub amateur try to use that thing and get hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufHJO9vXLiw

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Goddamn! Is this kid's last name Balboa?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Blade of the Immortal is great
Ninja Assassin is great fun
Haywire is okay, but you really have to turn off your brain the longer you watch it

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ninja Assassin didn't know what it was trying to do. On the rare occasions it figured it out, it was good though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I'm sure many people have already seen The Cure, a 35 minute action movie made for peanuts that is very good. Now the same people followed up with FASTER: A Chapter From The Cure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQDntmtmIbI

I am a big fan of backyard action movies, and I've been digging into some action shorts from africa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRPS9SqzEL4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bdNcWPBUS0

Of course, the best backyard action movie of all time is Sudden Fury (1998), a feature shot on VHS with a truckload of squibs. I don't think this has ever been released digitally, but I finally managed to track down a VHS copy a few years ago. My gf laughed at me when I refused to get rid of my VCR. Who's laughing now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Oe0qdB3K8

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dokmo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWAu83FPMYc

It's interesting how action movies from some countries translate easily to western audiences (like those from east asia) and some don't (like those from India). I have seen only a handful of russian action movies, but I'm sure they produce just as many as any other place.

My favorite russian action movie is the remake of Commando, called D Day or Den D, which is nearly identical to the original but without the campiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFbFhSgutTw
Well this reminded me that I had Mosul on my list. Turns out it's actually a Netflix movie with a western writer/director, but it's pretty good and feels authentic thanks to the cast and being shot in Morocco (close enough, right?). The action is good and not ridiculous, plus has a good emotional connection (mostly explained near the end).

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

dokmo posted:

I'm sure many people have already seen The Cure, a 35 minute action movie made for peanuts that is very good. Now the same people followed up with FASTER: A Chapter From The Cure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQDntmtmIbI

I really want to see what these guys can do with a bigger budget. Both of the shorts have some incredible direction and creative set pieces.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Mosul being shot in Morocco (close enough, right?).

It's like the Netflix Selena filming their Brownsville shots in Monterrey.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Action USA is a blast so far

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boco_T posted:

Warrior (2011) - 3/5, Amazon Prime
If I'd bothered to watch this any time close to when it was new, I probably would have declared it one of my favorite movies. But in 2021, the world's different and I'm different, and I'm jaded enough now that I noticed a lot of corny things to pick at that took me out of it a little.

Your post reminded me I'd never actually sat down to watch this, despite it always being heralded as being really good... and yeah I didn't come away from it too positively either. I even forgave the pre-modern UFC style of running a tournament and having everyone beaten to hell before the finales, but despite the fact it was shot well and the performances were decent* I just found myself not caring at all. By the time Tom Hardy walks into the ring and the announcers are saying that nobody knows anything about him, I found myself agreeing because despite spending the previous hour with him I didn't either. Everything just felt so obvious and while there was nothing about the final fight/ending to dislike, there wasn't anything there to turn me around on how I felt either. I think I came away more disappointed than anything, as it could've been really good and people obviously *love* it, but I don't see what they do.

* Nick Nolte I can't help but watch and be not sure if it's a good performance or not. Like I'm told it's good, but I'm watching it and I'm questioning if it's incredible acting or just an old man making noises at times.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1356949869487927298

E-excuse me?!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEESSSSSSS

mobby_6kl posted:

Well this reminded me that I had Mosul on my list. Turns out it's actually a Netflix movie with a western writer/director, but it's pretty good and feels authentic thanks to the cast and being shot in Morocco (close enough, right?). The action is good and not ridiculous, plus has a good emotional connection (mostly explained near the end).

I thought it was terrible, despite a good cast and it would have benefited enormously from being directed by someone who spoke the same language as his cast and who also wasn't a first time director who was also a mediocre writer before that.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Your post reminded me I'd never actually sat down to watch this, despite it always being heralded as being really good... and yeah I didn't come away from it too positively either. I even forgave the pre-modern UFC style of running a tournament and having everyone beaten to hell before the finales, but despite the fact it was shot well and the performances were decent* I just found myself not caring at all. By the time Tom Hardy walks into the ring and the announcers are saying that nobody knows anything about him, I found myself agreeing because despite spending the previous hour with him I didn't either. Everything just felt so obvious and while there was nothing about the final fight/ending to dislike, there wasn't anything there to turn me around on how I felt either. I think I came away more disappointed than anything, as it could've been really good and people obviously *love* it, but I don't see what they do.

* Nick Nolte I can't help but watch and be not sure if it's a good performance or not. Like I'm told it's good, but I'm watching it and I'm questioning if it's incredible acting or just an old man making noises at times.

It's a really average script elevated by really good performances from pretty much everyone. Having the ending hinge on the dad finally saying 'i love you' was babby's first script bullshit. That wasn't a resolution to anything they'd set up.

I did appreciate Nate Marquardt and Anthony Johnson both appearing and not fighting each other in a film made around the time both guys were scheduled to fight each other without the fight happening.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Faster was good, counting down the days until Ahmet Atalay can get a big time gig. So many cool ideas for knocking dudes off motorcycles.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Boco_T posted:

Faster was good, counting down the days until Ahmet Atalay can get a big time gig. So many cool ideas for knocking dudes off motorcycles.

It's nice to see someone who also appreciates Mission: Impossible 2's bike chase which is really good up to the jousting.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

there is infuriatingly scant information about this in english. there is a sketchy looking japanese website that has some streaming options, i couldn't get any of them to work for me. here is the google translated summary:

quote:

A former assassin's knuckle who spends happy days with his beloved woman away from the organization. However, those days suddenly come to an end. Former fellow assassins who were brainwashed and lived as ordinary people awakened one after another. Whether it's the boss at work or the yakuza, he was rampaging regardless of the opponent and was approaching the area around the knuckle! In order to save the kidnapped beloved woman, Knuckle heads to the promised forest where her former friends await.

The biggest problem this year! A super violence movie starring Tak Sakaguchi, who is a ninja and has mastered zero-distance combat (wave), who is also new to the movie "Kingdom". In addition to Sakaguchi, Hideo Sakaki, Kenji Matsuda, and other familiar cast members, as well as famous supporting players Kanji Tsuda and Houka Kinoshita, will be rampaging non-stop from the beginning to the end! !!
* This work contains violent scenes and grotesque expressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKbFelBAiw

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dokmo posted:

there is infuriatingly scant information about this in english. there is a sketchy looking japanese website that has some streaming options, i couldn't get any of them to work for me. here is the google translated summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdKbFelBAiw

Mods please rename me to 'former assassins knuckle'

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
For the weekend, my Letterboxd review of Kill or Be Killed (1976):

South Africa's first martial arts film!

Top karate fighter Steve Hunt (James Ryan) and his girlfriend Olga (Charlotte Michelle) sign a contract to join a team at Baron von Rudloff's castle in the Namibian desert. Once they have arrived they discover that they are not permitted to leave, and that the die-hard Nazi von Rudloff and his dwarf assistant Chico (Danie Du Plessis) are putting together a team to take on one led by Miyagi (Raymond Ho-Tong), whose Japanese karate team defeated von Rudloff's German team at the 1936 Olympics.

As Enter the Dragon rip-offs go this is OK, despite the martial arts sequences that are meant to be the heart of the film not really holding up to modern standards. You can see the punches being pulled, and sometimes slow motion is used to try and disguise things. Characters in the film also seem much more concerned that von Rudloff - who wears a Nazi uniform and drives round in a car with a swastika flag on it - is an arsehole rather than that he is a Nazi, but I guess this is 70s South Africa. An apartheid-era production, there are almost no black actors here, and those that do appear get no lines.

Kill or Be Killed is lifted above average by the fact that it is nuts enough to be entertaining, and by the way the whole production has that fun, campy tone of a lot of 1970s pulp cinema.

You can see the trailer here.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Thanks to the thread for pushing me towards watching Wu Assassins, I just watched the opening (owns) and Uwais' last line before the opening credits gave me a good chuckle. Dude is hella charming.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Holy crap, you guys should watch Redline on Prime. It's wild. I'm not saying it's similar to Fury Road, but it's got that same sort of wide-eyed insanity where you kind of think that maybe a crazy person made this. It's a lot of fun.

EDIT- It's on Prime, not Netflix

Narzack fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 6, 2021

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Narzack posted:

Holy crap, you guys should watch Redline on Netflix. It's wild. I'm not saying it's similar to Fury Road, but it's got that same sort of wide-eyed insanity where you kind of think that maybe a crazy person made this. It's a lot of fun.

Is this the entirely hand animated movie that took 10 years to make? or is this another case of a cool title being overloaded by more than one movie?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Nah, it's the hand animated one. It's on prime

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Redline rules

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I just watched American Ninja 2: The Confrontation.

Holy poo poo. That movie whips rear end. Dudikoff can't act or fight for poo poo, but Steve James rocks. I remember seeing the cases for these movies in the video shop back in the day and I wish I'd watched them when I was 11.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

For those like me who had been frustrated at how hard it is to find The Raid 2 subbed instead of dubbed, it turns out the Microsoft Store lets you rent/buy the subbed version! Dunno if there's some recent easier option I missed but hey that's cool.

Except, while the Store page says it's useable with the Movies Anywhere app, the movie won't show up on that app even after syncing my Microsoft account. So it seems I can only watch this on a device that supports Microsoft Movies and TV, which is lame. Oh well. Still nice to find a non-physical way to watch this.

E: ah I guess that app maybe just doesn't support rentals, or at least in this case doesn't. It would probably work if I bought it.

Martman fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 7, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Martman posted:

For those like me who had been frustrated at how hard it is to find The Raid 2 subbed instead of dubbed...

I genuinely didn't know it came in a dubbed version :v:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Martman posted:

E: ah I guess that app maybe just doesn't support rentals, or at least in this case doesn't. It would probably work if I bought it.
I wouldn't guarantee that. I bought a movie on there and couldn't watch it using any method. Couldn't get a refund either.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Space Sweepers is a sci-fi space movie that has some action in it so it doesn't 100% fit in this thread, but it is very good. Other than that I only watched trash this week, including finding a movie that nobody else on Letterboxd has seen.

House of the Rising Sun (2011) - 1.5/5, Tubi
The usual DTV trash that's nearly unwatchable, but this gets a few bonus points because a lot of the standard bad points of movies like House of the Rising Sun end up being very funny. Dominic Purcell's preposterous haircut and Danny Trejo's entire involvement are the main ones. I also love the incredibly bad royalty-free butt rock.

Gun effects are all CG, direction and editing are among the worst I've seen, and the script stinks even though the writer adapted it from his own novel.

Silencer (2018) - 1/5, Amazon Prime
As bad as you'd expect going in from these current-era DTV action movies. Awful script, all guns and explosions done via CG that looks terrible, bad editing on the action. Messner and Leigh seem to be trying, and Trejo gives a little more effort than usual, but everyone else is phoning it in. Liddell's character in particular is unhinged, but in a bad way.

Space Sweepers (2021) - 4/5, Netflix
This is a space anime movie that happens to be live-action and Korean. It absolutely rules. Such cool details of world-building, a sweeping plot that travels to a ton of locations, and an engaging story. Also nice to see a sci-fi movie buoyed by an applicable modern-day class warfare message.

I feel like this is going to be unheralded in the same way that Jupiter Ascending is. If that rings true to you, you owe it to go out of your way to check out Space Sweepers. I'd also dare to compare it to Cowboy Bebop in terms of the tone of what you're getting into.

Narco Sub (2021) - 1/5
I would argue that it's not possible to explain why any single plot point in Narco Sub happens. The movie is utterly incomprehensible. Why's there a sub? Why are people seemingly teleporting repeatedly from the US to South America? Why are there so many characters?

Tom Vera has no charisma and should not be leading a movie. All the no-budget seams are here like CG guns and blood, and now including one that's new to me, licensing Shutterstock footage for the location establishment shots.

It seems like Tom Sizemore probably only lets a director get one take out of him or something, because it often seems like he's close to saying a line that was written but somehow twists it so that it makes no sense.

Oh well, I watched this because I saw Tom Sizemore getting waterboarded in the trailer and I got that. There's also like 2 minutes of not-horribly-shot action near the end. But don't watch this movie.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I genuinely didn't know it came in a dubbed version :v:
How did you watch it? Most of the big streaming services seem to only have the dubbed version, although this may have happened some time after the release for some stupid legal reason or something.

fenix down posted:

I wouldn't guarantee that. I bought a movie on there and couldn't watch it using any method. Couldn't get a refund either.
Oof. Yeah I ended up moving my Xbox to watch it on the TV I wanted, but I definitely don't plan to rely on syncing with Movies Anywhere in the future.

EDIT: You know, now that I'm looking it does seem to show up on a few other services. I dunno why Amazon Prime doesn't have the subbed version, and I could have sworn when I first looked for it most other things didn't have it either.

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 8, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Martman posted:

How did you watch it? Most of the big streaming services seem to only have the dubbed version, although this may have happened some time after the release for some stupid legal reason or something.

This is the thing, I saw it in the cinema subbed and I have it on blu ray and it defaults to subbed and I've never actually checked to see if it has a dubbed option. I'm now weirded out by the idea of a subbed modern martial arts film.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I watched all of the Brosnan-era Bond films over a couple nights. Was surprised how much I actually liked most of them!

Goldeneye: 4/5 - Solid classic, and I'm surprised to see this is the same director that would go on to reboot the franchise again in Casino Royale. Really solid here, Brosnan absolutely shines, Judi Dench kills it, and Sean Bean makes for a great villain. It's really interesting comparing the similarities between Goldeneye's Bond and Casino Royale's bond here, as well.

Tomorrow Never Dies: 4.5/5 - I actually prefer this one the most, I think the storyline around the main villain as an insane billionaire media mogul engineering a world war is rather ahead of it's time and incredibly sharp, plus Pryce just kills it in this role. This is almost definitely the most ridiculous as far as naked male power fantasy goes, but it is a ton of fun. Brosnan's clearly having the time of his life as Bond and it's just a ton of fun to watch, plus Michelle Yeoh does a fantastic job as the Chinese secret agent who actually gets quite a bit to do, I would have liked to see more "Bond girls" like this instead of what comes next with Denise Richards.

The World Is Not Enough: 1.5/5 - I know there's some appreciation for this entry, but I came off really down on it. The weird interpersonal drama did nothing for me, it was hard to get terribly invested in the central conflict and the plans of the main villains, and I left the climax feeling pretty hollow. "Can't feel pain" is actually pretty lame for a Bond villain. Comparing this to TND, I think there's something to be said about how the Bond franchise is really a sort of bombastic action comedy series, and there's a weird bit of silliness inherit to the whole concept. So if you're not all in on that, like TND was, you're going to stumble and make so many mistakes like TWINE has.

Die Another Day: 2.5/5 - Oh this is so dumb. This is like a fake movie. It's a children's cartoon that happens to have James Bond in it. It's delightfully stupid, "Jinx" is hilariously awful, and there's a laugh a minute in this shitshow that nearly rivals Batman & Robin. It's so, so bad, but I can't help but adore just how obscene it is. TACTICAL SURFBOARDING!

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Frank Grillo has no less than 8 movies coming out this year.

When a hard day of stuntwork winds down, the rest of the cast goes home exhausted and bruised while Frank Grillo quietly puts on a fresh shirt and drives himself to another action production across town.

So pretty much Scott Adkins, but American.

e: Boss Level is actually pretty legit, has some strong "Crank" energy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat, and I thought the Frank Grillo era was coming to an end. The guy isn't getting any younger after all. Good for him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Read the interview and Grillo does really come off as the USA counterpart to Adkins, right down to the pride in making great scenes with minimal resources and enjoying flexing his acting muscles. Can't believe they haven't done something together yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Read the interview and Grillo does really come off as the USA counterpart to Adkins, right down to the pride in making great scenes with minimal resources and enjoying flexing his acting muscles. Can't believe they haven't done something together yet.

You bring up an interesting point, something I hadn't considered.

Has anyone seen these two actors in the same place, at the same time?

Frustrated with being unable to penetrate the American action market, Scott Adkins Mrs. Doubtfires himself into an American actor...

Maybe I have it backwards?