Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Decidedly not cajun or creole but worth sharing to this thread. Cribbed more or less from this recipe but used far fewer chocolate chips:
https://letsdishrecipes.com/best-toffee-ever/

Toffee!

Ok, so if you can make a roux, you can make toffee and it's easy as poo poo. 2 sticks butter, 2 cups sugar, heavy high walled saucepan / pot / dutchoven, put on medium-low heat, stir with a whisk until its the color of peanut butter (sound familiar?). I didn't even bother with a thermometer, just took out a jar of peanut butter and cooked it was just about the same color.

The butter fats will not fully emulsify into the sugar but that works out fine they just run off of it around the toffee once its on the sheet. Add the vanilla then do your last mixing off of the heat and pour out onto a covered pan. Throw chocolate chips on top and let them melt then spread with a butter knife or whatever and then chill it till its all cold and set and enjoy. Throw whatever you want onto the soft spread chocolate, I used some crushed up peppermint candy here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Anyone have a recommended red beans n rice recipe/guide?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Democratic Pirate posted:

This is a start but I use a bit less fat (adding butter at the end if seems it needs) and I usually just use 1 lb of sausage and skip the ham. Kielbasa works well here.

I like to add in a little fish sauce, cumin and paprika as well.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/vegetables/entree12.htm

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It's extreme gumbo weather today and I've got more lazy instant pot gumbo happening. I actually wrote down a recipe for it this time too :toot:

Democratic Pirate posted:

I really like this one

I use a little more than an eighth tsp of thyme and tsp of parsley, lol.

From this excellent cookbook:
https://www.amazon.com/Leon-Galatoi...ps%2C182&sr=8-2

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That Works posted:

This is a start but I use a bit less fat (adding butter at the end if seems it needs) and I usually just use 1 lb of sausage and skip the ham. Kielbasa works well here.

I like to add in a little fish sauce, cumin and paprika as well.

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/vegetables/entree12.htm

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I really like this one

I use a little more than an eighth tsp of thyme and tsp of parsley, lol.

From this excellent cookbook:
https://www.amazon.com/Leon-Galatoi...ps%2C182&sr=8-2

Thanks to you both! I split the difference with the recipes and it seemed to come out great (made it a day ahead so I only snuck a spoonful or two). Used smoked jalapeño sausage because Texas and otherwise used the common ingredients in the recipes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nolacuisine, which has a bunch of recipes in the OP has vanished!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The_Doctor posted:

Nolacuisine, which has a bunch of recipes in the OP has vanished!

Oh no! I just referenced the a couple weeks ago. Wonder what happened?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh no! I just referenced the a couple weeks ago. Wonder what happened?

Suspended for giving out The Secrets.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That's a bummer. Is it dead dead or might return dead?

If its gone for good we'll need to get some recipes to replace them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
archive.org has the site in full, so it's not gone forever (though browsing sites in the wayback machine does suck)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

They weren't so unique that we can't just replace them. Bug me if I haven't gotten around to it in a few days but if people have good ones on hand that would replace the broken ones feel free to post them and I'll swap them out in the OP in the meantime.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I made this maque choux as a side today, and it came out great (I left out the jalapeño, might put it in next time).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nolacuisine is already back. :toot:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I was planning on making a big batch of gumbo tomorrow, but am completely out of my usual canola oil and the store shelves here in post snowpocalypse Texas were completely bare today.

I’ve got two possible options for roux. 1) Used canola fry oil. It’s been used 3 times, filtered through a coffee filter each time and is perfectly clean, but it’s definitely a little darker than fresh, and certain smells like fry oil. 2) Crisco vegetable shortening. SeriousEats lists it as 360f smoke point.

I’m gonna try the store again first thing in the morning, but assuming no luck, I’m better off with the used fry oil yeah? I mean, it was used to fry floured things, so like, presumably the flavor it has right now is what it would have gotten at the dark blonde/medium roux temp anyway yeah?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’ve never used fry oil or crisco I but I suspect you’re okay with either one.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm pretty sure there's an episode of Justin Wilson's show where he literally fries chicken then ladles some of the oil into a pot to make a roux for gumbo

it'll be fine

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

eke out posted:

i'm pretty sure there's an episode of Justin Wilson's show where he literally fries chicken then ladles some of the oil into a pot to make a roux for gumbo

it'll be fine

That’s a K-Paul thing he does in one of his vids in this thread, and it’s honestly mind blowing the first time you see it.

EDIT:

The_Doctor posted:

This got posted on Reddit in the BR sub, and dang that gumbo looks good at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Doom Rooster posted:

I was planning on making a big batch of gumbo tomorrow, but am completely out of my usual canola oil and the store shelves here in post snowpocalypse Texas were completely bare today.

I’ve got two possible options for roux. 1) Used canola fry oil. It’s been used 3 times, filtered through a coffee filter each time and is perfectly clean, but it’s definitely a little darker than fresh, and certain smells like fry oil. 2) Crisco vegetable shortening. SeriousEats lists it as 360f smoke point.

I’m gonna try the store again first thing in the morning, but assuming no luck, I’m better off with the used fry oil yeah? I mean, it was used to fry floured things, so like, presumably the flavor it has right now is what it would have gotten at the dark blonde/medium roux temp anyway yeah?

Do you have any butchers around that are still open? See if they have any fat, or rendered lard/tallow/schmaltz. The last time I made gumbo, I went looking for pork fat to make lard. Couldn't find any, but found beef fat at $2/lb, so bought like $6 of that and made tallow. I got enough to make the dish and has enough left to cool into little butter-stick-like bars for regular cooking. Super easy to render down, to. Just takes some time.

Outside of that, the Crisco's gonna be overall less healthy for you(lol), but the fry oil will carry flavors over, so if it smells kinda bad now...

EDIT: To clarify, yes, I realize where you are, so it might be entirely possible there's absolutely nothing available, but un-rendered fat is often considered a garbage product that's not typically sought-after, so maybe?

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 21, 2021

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Canola or shortening will work fine.

I mostly just use butter these days myself.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

That’s a K-Paul thing he does in one of his vids in this thread, and it’s honestly mind blowing the first time you see it.

EDIT:

haha yep this is the exact video i was thinking of, it's actually wilder than i remember since he just dumps more flour into the already-dirty oil

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

eke out posted:

haha yep this is the exact video i was thinking of, it's actually wilder than i remember since he just dumps more flour into the already-dirty oil

After I got introduced to creole daube ITT, my method is to fry the beef in a bunch of oil to sear the outside, then use that same oil to make roux.

The lesson learned is that small amounts of burnt stuff in your roux, like any meat or fat bits that stuck to the pan, is fine. At least if you're doing roux on medium heat. I think it's only if a bunch of the flour starts burning that it gets ruined.

neogeo0823 posted:

Do you have any butchers around that are still open? See if they have any fat, or rendered lard/tallow/schmaltz. The last time I made gumbo, I went looking for pork fat to make lard. Couldn't find any, but found beef fat at $2/lb, so bought like $6 of that and made tallow. I got enough to make the dish and has enough left to cool into little butter-stick-like bars for regular cooking. Super easy to render down, to. Just takes some time.

So one thing I have read is that the beef & pork fat of our current animals is recognizably different from that 50-100 years ago. The grain feeding, and especially all the corn, means their fat has a very different composition, at like the molecular level, and doesn't always react the same. If you've done stuff with your rendered fat and it worked then it's obviously fine for those things, but it may not always work for old recipes that actually call for beef tallow.

(Like, one interesting effect is that normal store bacon doesn't build season on cast iron pans anymore. Literally doesn't have enough of the right fat molecules to polymerize anymore.)

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks all! Gonna go with the fry oil, and just give it a sniff before adding trinity to make sure it’s normal. It doesn’t smell bad at all now, it just smells like fry oil.

neogeo0823 posted:

Outside of that, the Crisco's gonna be overall less healthy for you(lol), but the fry oil will carry flavors over, so if it smells kinda bad now...

EDIT: To clarify, yes, I realize where you are, so it might be entirely possible there's absolutely nothing available, but un-rendered fat is often considered a garbage product that's not typically sought-after, so maybe?

I’ve currently got access to about 3 1/2 gallons of rendered, paper filtered tallow, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 100lbs of beef trim per week that I trim off of briskets.

I’ve used tallow for just about a million other things (including chocolate chip cookies, which were GREAT), but never thought to use it with roux. Will definitely experiment with that in the future, but this batch is for friends who just had a baby and I want to give them my normal dialed-in recipe. Tallow/lard is gonna be majorly different than canola, but probably great. Just don’t wanna take that chance this time.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

poo poo if i had three and a half gallons of nice rendered beef fat, of course i'd be making roux with it

i've had plenty of good results with pork and chicken fat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Etoufee worked out very well. Vanished in minutes, so I’ll call this a big success.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That looks really good.

Seconding using beef tallow, I’ve used lard to great effect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That looks really good.

Thanks! First attempt, and it was probably the most delicious thing I’ve ever made. Definitely going to make that again soon, in bigger quantities.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Some stuff

In the middle of a major renovation including the kitchen, so everything has to be cooked outside basically...luckily we have a ton of frozen gumbo and a rice cooker too!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Some stuff

In the middle of a major renovation including the kitchen, so everything has to be cooked outside basically...luckily we have a ton of frozen gumbo and a rice cooker too!

uhhhnnngggg I miss New Iberia right about now. I want them bugs.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Covid has more or less cut me off from crawfish :smith: but god drat those oysters look amazing

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'd like to report that i had a tube of chorizo (the cheap near-liquid cacique kind) and i sauteed it off before adding trinity > white beans.

it turns out to be a really fast delicious way to add some flavor that i think you literally cannot tell is in the dish after it's done cooking, you'd swear they're just really nice cajun-style white beans

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

eke out posted:

i'd like to report that i had a tube of chorizo (the cheap near-liquid cacique kind) and i sauteed it off before adding trinity > white beans.

it turns out to be a really fast delicious way to add some flavor that i think you literally cannot tell is in the dish after it's done cooking, you'd swear they're just really nice cajun-style white beans

I grab the cheap deli meat ends from my grocery all the time and use them kinda like this just sauteeing in some trinity or mirepoix or using them chopped up in risotto.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Work sent us a list of Baton Rouge food to check out in the area, thought the thread might find it helpful as well. Or mock the list since it has mcdonalds and canes on it...This list looks worse the more I look.

goodness fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 31, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It doesn't have coffee call on the list and therefore it's a poo poo list in my book. I don't remember most places in BR anymore since it's been decades since I was there and I was a kid, but that is one of them

Also yeah subway, smoothie king, mcdonalds, sonic, and jimmy johns on the list :laffo:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There’s a few good ones there, and a few I’d definitely skip. The Main St Market has some really nice places. Last time I went I had some really good soul food from SYI Express, who aren’t on that list. Calling it a food court though is a bit of a disservice. On the one hand, technically yes that’s true, but on the other they’re all little independent local retailers.

Capital City Grill is nice for brunch. Tsunami is expensive and not that great, but the view is good.

It’s all very downtown, which doesn’t have a massive selection, so the McDonald’s and Jimmy John’s fee like they’re scraping the barrel in terms of what to have. If you can go out of downtown you start getting much more choice, and honestly much better options. If you need suggestions, I’m more than willing to drop a small list as well.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I've been gone from BR long enough that the restaurant scene is pretty unrecognizable from when I lived there, but here are a few thoughts.

Parrain's is a standby for seafood. I liked Sammy's on Highland for crawfish. Tsunami is all about the view, but if you're downtown it's worth at least grabbing a drink on the rooftop. On a more recent visit we ate at City Pork which I thought was pretty good. Bistro Byronz is another good option.

I can't speak too much for fine dining because I was a broke as poo poo twenty-something, but Juban's is good and Nino's Italian on Bluebonnet is owned and operated by some friends of ours.

I guess you could go to the original Raising Cane's location if you want the experience of "eating Cane's in a place that doesn't look like a Cane's" :v: Although if I wanted to go eat somewhere with a campus vibe it would probably be The Chimes (get the blackened alligator and boudain balls).

Is the little hole-in-the-wall Thai place under the Perkins Road overpass still there? I remember that being really good. If you just wanted to drive and see what catches your eye, Perkins Road heading east from the I-10 overpass is a decent bet. Also Government Street heading east out of downtown.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

I've been gone from BR long enough that the restaurant scene is pretty unrecognizable from when I lived there, but here are a few thoughts.

Parrain's is a standby for seafood. I liked Sammy's on Highland for crawfish. Tsunami is all about the view, but if you're downtown it's worth at least grabbing a drink on the rooftop. On a more recent visit we ate at City Pork which I thought was pretty good. Bistro Byronz is another good option.

I can't speak too much for fine dining because I was a broke as poo poo twenty-something, but Juban's is good and Nino's Italian on Bluebonnet is owned and operated by some friends of ours.

I guess you could go to the original Raising Cane's location if you want the experience of "eating Cane's in a place that doesn't look like a Cane's" :v: Although if I wanted to go eat somewhere with a campus vibe it would probably be The Chimes (get the blackened alligator and boudain balls).

Is the little hole-in-the-wall Thai place under the Perkins Road overpass still there? I remember that being really good. If you just wanted to drive and see what catches your eye, Perkins Road heading east from the I-10 overpass is a decent bet. Also Government Street heading east out of downtown.

If you're talking about Rama, unfortunately they shut down less than a year ago.

These are all good suggestions, especially Chimes, City Pork, and Parrain's. Juban's is having issues right now, it seems. I'd also recommend Louie's, which is a diner that's been around LSU campus since the 40s. Elsie's Pie & Plate on Government is really nice. I have to give a shout out to Pit-n-Peel, which is owned by a friend of mine, for bbq and seafood. Every time I'm back in BR, I get a chimichanga at Zippy's because I've not found one as good anywhere else. Ruby Slipper Cafe is a small chain, based out of New Orleans, but their food is really good. Chicken Shack I've been recommended by everyone, but haven't gone yet myself.

For coffee, hit up Coffee Call, Highland Coffee, Brew Ha Ha, or a CC's.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

The_Doctor posted:

If you're talking about Rama, unfortunately they shut down less than a year ago.

Rats! That's the one. First place I ever had duck. I figured that might be the case because something else showed up there on Google Maps (this is exactly how I learned of Chelsea's demise as well).

Zippy's is a big nostalgia thing for me too. Lots of memories, mostly boozy.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Has fried catfish topped with crawfish etouffee always been a thing? I definitely don't remember having them together growing up, but the last time I was in baton rouge I noticed that lots of restaurants had that. Well at least two of them anyways, chimes being one of them

Either way, it was a convenient way of getting two things I wanted at the same time

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Subway $$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Ha they have Schlitz n Giggles for $$ too, they must have gone upscale because that was the place to go for a drunk slice and, well, Schlitz for basically no money.

e: and I don't remember fried catfish topped with anything being a thing. Grilled or blackened, sure.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 31, 2021