Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yes, the return of Martial Air Marshal Marshall, ready to command Canada's Air Force!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

compressioncut posted:

AF ranks were originally derived from navy ones, so what is Aviator now was Leading Aircraftman, arguably much worse.

Well by that logic, a Leading Aircraftsman is today's Corporal, not Aviator.

On that note, did the RCN actually change the Seaman ranks? I remember getting some newsletters that they were looking at it but never an announcement that they did, yet I noticed my naval doppelganger has an unfamiliar rank on Outlook. Are they just Sailors finally? What happened there?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

On that note, did the RCN actually change the Seaman ranks? I remember getting some newsletters that they were looking at it but never an announcement that they did, yet I noticed my naval doppelganger has an unfamiliar rank on Outlook. Are they just Sailors finally? What happened there?

All Seamen ranks are now Sailor.

Anyone that release prior to the change retains Seaman, all after are Sailor

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I miss the gold ranks.

:(

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Pre-unification navy ranks were messed up and something I don't entirely get. LAC is equivalent to Avr in commonwealth air forces, propeller badge and all. Corporal is corporal - well, more like MCpl if I remember correctly.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

All Seamen ranks are now Sailor.

Anyone that release prior to the change retains Seaman, all after are Sailor

I think you can get a VAC pension for retaining Seaman

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Canuck-Errant posted:

I think you can get a VAC pension for retaining Seaman

They won't let you retain the old rank if you are current military or released after the change.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They won't let you retain the old rank if you are current military or released after the change.

it is a semen joke :ssh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Canuck-Errant posted:

it is a semen joke :ssh:

I think you mean that's a sailor joke.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Anyone in DND as a civvy? I'm out now but I have an opportunity to go back in, quarter zips and jeans this time.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I am, after a short bout in the RegF. Tried to reenlist, but apparently having a kidney stone will stop you medically.

I still show up with a shirt and tie, and barely understand how the civvy side works at all. I really should attend the union meetings, but :effort:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Civvy here, what up?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Civvy here, what up?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I want a civvy job with the military :saddowns:

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
So, I got cease trained a few years back, and now some (hopefully) ambitious clerk is telling me that I am no longer entitled to my previous pay rate AND have to pay back all of the pay increments I received while in that trade.
Is this real life?

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Just wondering how you guys find working there. I realize DND is probably huge and there's gonna be some varied experiences, but this is gonna be the first time I'm outta uniform in an office. I think i need to go shop for some office clothing, my closet used to consist of issued gear and A&W shirts .

My Spirit Otter posted:

I want a civvy job with the military :saddowns:

Man ex-mil get hiring priority for fed jobs once you're qualified in the pool, I was checking the gov job site almost weekly during my 6 months.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Depends a lot on who you find yourself working for. Ive got a good superviser and good boss. Work's relaxed, no serious dress code but you still have to be proper. Get to know your union, participate in functions, spend money at the bake sale, decorate your work area.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

I'm in an admin position where the pay doesn't really approach Cpl, but it was pretty swell to still have a paying job during the pandemic.

Hoping to roll my public service time into a better paying position later, and beef up my pension.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 17, 2021

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Attire Irony posted:

So, I got cease trained a few years back, and now some (hopefully) ambitious clerk is telling me that I am no longer entitled to my previous pay rate AND have to pay back all of the pay increments I received while in that trade.
Is this real life?

That is heinous

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

gently caress pension buyback is expensive. I'm already forking over tens of thousands, plus I gotta pay $220 for the physical?

The public service pension is great and all, but man you pay out the rear end for it.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 20, 2021

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009

stevobob posted:

That is heinous

It was fun enough to get kicked out of a trade over standards playing the “you did it right but if 9 variables had been different there may have been an issue” game,
But to pay $15k for the privilege? :canada:

Insult to injury is that I’m top of my course in the next trade, and because of this I can’t afford to take a posting to Trenton. :feelsgood:

In unrelated news I’m gonna open a consulting firm to do a study on why retention is so low

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Attire Irony posted:

It was fun enough to get kicked out of a trade over standards playing the “you did it right but if 9 variables had been different there may have been an issue” game,
But to pay $15k for the privilege? :canada:

Insult to injury is that I’m top of my course in the next trade, and because of this I can’t afford to take a posting to Trenton. :feelsgood:

In unrelated news I’m gonna open a consulting firm to do a study on why retention is so low

I wonder what COVID's effect on retention is going to have. A bunch of friends that left to go civvy are absolutely regretting their decision lately and some are trying to get back in.

I for one am drat glad to have had job security throughout.

If it has a positive effect, I'm more than positive that the Army is going to use that data to say they have solved retention.

(It was absolutely terrible pre-COVID. Almost everyone from my Basic, battle school are out of the army, although that was 13 years ago.)

Hizawk fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 21, 2021

Attire Irony
May 5, 2009
I my little corner of the forces, covid hasn’t helped retention much. They’ve been campaigning pretty hard for folks to come back, but that’s for a 5 year contract or nothing. Unsurprisingly, it’s been mostly nothing.

I’ve heard in the winds that between FY 20/21 and FY 21/22 they’re projecting to lose an entire year’s worth of intake.

Nofeed
Sep 14, 2008
Working with some dudes from Pet right now, apparently retention is nearly zero at the JR level out there in the combat arms.

my reaction: "YOU'RE LEAVING A SURE THING GOVERNMENT JOB WITH A PENSION IN THIS ECONOMY AS A HIGH SCHOOL GRAD WITH NO WORK EXPERIENCE OUTSIDE THE ARMY ?!?!?!"

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Pet got mentioned in Hitman 3 apparently.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianForces/comments/lnonjg/cfb_petawawa_reference_in_hitman_3/

The comments made me laugh.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Lol another CDS with allegations of misconduct

Do as I say, but absolutely definitely fuckin not as I do

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

1. Mark Norman (2017)
2. Julie Payette
3. Johnathan Vance
4. Art McDonald

Toss in some proud boys idiots (2017), a CIC officer openly speaking at an anti-vax rally, and a reservist charging Rideau Hall armed? The last couple years have been kinda wild.

Edit: I just realized that this went up to Vance:

MA-Horus posted:

It's nice to read stories like these, it really reinforces the "gently caress you if you're still in" motto of GiP

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...ted-sex-assault

tl;dr female soldier gets sexually assaulted, confides in fellow soldier who accompanies her to MPs, gives report. Raped soldier is considered "unreliable witness" and other soldier is blacklisted by his command, going all the way up to CDS.
:(

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 25, 2021

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

An institution of old, white, creepy dudes trying to determine which one abuses the least.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
christ, at first I thought you were just a little behind and were referring to Vance. I didn't even have the new CDS' name committed to memory yet.

I look back on most of my time in with fairly rosy glasses and I'm pretty drat glad I ended up losing touch with everyone. Politics wasn't a huge thing when I got out and I can only imagine what sort of trumpian shitshow the infantry is now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can they hire me as the CDS? I'm not old and I know how important your twitter rep is and why you shouldn't squander your Tik-Tok fame.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Gonna start promoting straight from Lt to LtGen just to make sure the next CDS can't possibly have 25 years of in-uniform scandals waiting to pop.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
CDS by lottery

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The Lottery, only instead of being stoned you're promoted to CDS

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Canuck-Errant posted:

The Lottery, only instead of being stoned you're promoted to CDS

New thread title?

Also https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/0...cal-girl-guide/

Vadoc fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 26, 2021

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's a good thing there's a deep pool of diversity at the top to pick from. 'Don't be a sex pest' has to be part of someone's cultural values.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/military-commander-haydn-edmundson-past-allegations-no-charges-laid-1.5941384

reset the counter

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

The hits keep coming and they won't stop coming

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/eleanor-taylor-canadian-forces-sexual-misconduct-1.5952618

LCol Taylor posted:

"While I remain fiercely proud of parts of our organization, on the issue of addressing harmful sexual behaviour, we have lost all credibility."

I know it's been a drat gong show at this point, but it wasn't until I read this that it really sank in for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If only there were whistleblowers back in the year 2000 who could've warned us about all this...

quote:

There have been many stories in recent years (such as noted in a Maclean’s magazine cover feature) about Canadian military whistleblowers being targeted for complaining about rape and other abuses.

[With notes from The Ottawa Citizen, Jan. 24, 2001]