Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

I'm still confused about why they decided not to go with the alternate design for Morinth where they looked masculine and didn't have boobs

I guess someone high up said "NO NO NO the genderless alien race HAS to be hot blue babes!!!!"

Well, she did have to look enough like her mother to pass as her if you choose to betray Samara.

She also had that weird speech that implied that some of the writers had in mind some ideas about fleshing out something weird and new and different about the Asari as a species that none of the other writers had any interest in exploring anywhere else. Not that it sounded like the best idea to explore, but the Asari otherwise seem pretty shallow as a culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Never forget that Casey Hudson and some other hack locked themselves in a room to hash out the ending without any input from others.
And poo poo over all the various plot leads set up by Drew Karpyshyn in ME2 explaining what the gently caress is going on.

The next Mass Effect game is still being written by Mac Walters. Not going to play this based solely on that.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Sally posted:

Isn't Wrex a temporary member on Tuchanka if he survived up until then? ME3 had a lot of guest character moments compared to the other games.

The Expanded Galaxy Mod for ME3 lets you take old surviving squadmates with you to non-main story missions like the ones on the multiplayer maps. I'm pretty sure it's any old party members who are currently on the Normandy or any ones you've recruited to the Crucible project.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This isn't the gaming food megathread.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
If they would explicitly retcon the ending into the Indoctrination Theory it would be one of my favorite video game stories of all time and I’d insta-buy it. And they would barely have to change/add anything in the game to do so. But they won’t because I guess it’s too embarrassing that fans created more coherent and fascinating ending than they did.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

And poo poo over all the various plot leads set up by Drew Karpyshyn in ME2 explaining what the gently caress is going on.

The next Mass Effect game is still being written by Mac Walters. Not going to play this based solely on that.

To be fair, I think the lead writer for ME1 wasn't on ME2, so if there was any plan during the making of the first game for what the second game would be, it wound up getting similarly trashed.

Except the writers for ME2 managed to put together something good that didn't totally poo poo on the player and had zero Kai Lengs in it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The dark energy plot is no more of a satisfying explanation for the Reapers than what they settled on in ME3. Maybe it would have been executed better, maybe it wouldn't have, but it's just another spacey wacey explanation for an antagonist that really shouldn't have been explained. There's nothing inherently better about "the Reapers were created to solve the dark energy problem" versus "the Reapers were created to solve the synthetics problem," it's a whole bunch of who cares either way.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

who even thought kai leng was a good idea? he's like a bad fanfiction character.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SlothfulCobra posted:

To be fair, I think the lead writer for ME1 wasn't on ME2, so if there was any plan during the making of the first game for what the second game would be, it wound up getting similarly trashed.

Except the writers for ME2 managed to put together something good that didn't totally poo poo on the player and had zero Kai Lengs in it.
IIRC the leadwriter of ME1 was also involved in ME2.

Back in the day on some obscure forum (that for some reason attracted various game developers), there was a guy from the writing team on ME2 pretty much pointing out all the various things they laid out for that Element Zero destabilizing the universe story line, besides the obvious Haestrom section, that was then just scrapped nilly willy for Star Child and that AI stuff (which is irritating in itself, given the fact that Walters was also involved in ME2). Also explained that top brass liked to meddle with the story, leading to things like Legion getting an N7 armor piece late in development and there not being enough time to write a proper story around it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I still maintain the dark matter plot would have been bad.

It's an optimistic, discovery 'n' ancient secrets sci fi setting. No, there shouldn't be a plot point that space travel causes space global warming and Shepard needs to consider their eezo emissions before jetting off to the Citadel.

Hell, let's blow up the mass relays and become cosmic inflation-neutral by 2190!

Also, any ending that goes 'the reapers were right, now you have to solve the problem they identified' just makes me feel cheated.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

well maybe they should've thought of Best Robot's N7 piece sooner then :colbert:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Radio Free Kobold posted:

who even thought kai leng was a good idea? he's like a bad fanfiction character.

ea were focus testing their games with middle-school boys. including their m-rated games. they openly admitted this. that's prolly a good portion of why kai leng exists.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
femshep + garius + legion just chilling, calmly calling shots on hostiles, not getting too worked up about stuff, just being a bunch of pros

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

femshep + garius + legion just chilling, calmly calling shots on hostiles, not getting too worked up about stuff, just being a bunch of pros

SCOPED AND DROPPED

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I wonder if they'll fix ME2 so you have access to all the dossiers at once. I've heard that the only reason they split it up was to accommodate disc space, which obviously wouldn't be an issue anymore

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Strategic Tea posted:

SCOPED AND DROPPED

:sicknasty:
:legion:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Let me take 3 squad members on missions so i miss less dialouge

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Vagabong posted:

Let me take 3 squad members on missions so i miss less dialouge

Imagine being one of those psychos that solos a Bioware game

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I mean literally I don't see any reason your non-active squadmates shouldn't still be on comms or on the ground, half a kilometer back in a support/ground crew in most missions. it's not like they have a job to do when they're not breaking people and things that you point at.

but that's a huge change and way outside the design scope of ME or indeed anything bioWare may still know how to make.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I did like that in ME:A if there was a plot relevant reason for a squad mate to be in a dialogue scene they'd "call them down" from the ship. That way I could safely bench Cora and Liam the whole game and never feel guilty!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, after ME2 I thought that the whole reason for the Reapers was just that they feed off of galactic-level civilizations. Either that's a part of their reproduction cycle or that's just what they eat. The overarching plot was reminding me of Star Control 3's plot where there were extradimensional space beings who feed off of sentience and there was starting to be entropic damage from their repeated feedings, and that's what the dark energy buildup reminded me of.

Not that Star Control 3's plot is any good either, just that's where it seemed like it was going. I didn't think the Reapers needed to be doing a job for some long-gone creators or even that they needed creators at all. Maybe long ago their society chose to all become giant spaceships in some kind of ascension, maybe they just evolved that way somehow out of naturally occurring gears and springs.

I thought Sovereign's dialogue meant that he thought Reaper society was some kind of hot poo poo that humanity, the Geth, and the council races paled in comparison to, not that Sovereign just had some specific preprogrammed hatred for the Geth because they're AI.

Combat Pretzel posted:

leading to things like Legion getting an N7 armor piece late in development and there not being enough time to write a proper story around it.

I kinda liked what there was where Legion just apparently has it out of a weird sense of sentimentality that Legion had that he couldn't really understand himself.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

wow, who pissed in your (plant pot and ate your) cereal?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kinda liked what there was where Legion just apparently has it out of a weird sense of sentimentality that Legion had that he couldn't really understand himself.

... there was a hole.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I actually like Kai Leng as a character, but I like him because he's so loving stupid and ridiculous and weird. He rolls over into being funny as hell with his dumbshit antics and I can't imagine Mass Effect 3 without him now. That petty dipshit "lol i made u read this shepard" email after Thessia is just the best. I always crack up when I see it in the inbox.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I mean literally I don't see any reason your non-active squadmates shouldn't still be on comms or on the ground, half a kilometer back in a support/ground crew in most missions. it's not like they have a job to do when they're not breaking people and things that you point at.

but that's a huge change and way outside the design scope of ME or indeed anything bioWare may still know how to make.

Really I would love to have Garrus on sniper overwatch or Tali hacking poo poo from the ship

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

I actually like Kai Leng as a character, but I like him because he's so loving stupid and ridiculous and weird. He rolls over into being funny as hell with his dumbshit antics and I can't imagine Mass Effect 3 without him now. That petty dipshit "lol i made u read this shepard" email after Thessia is just the best. I always crack up when I see it in the inbox.

yah same Kai Leng is dumb as hell and clowning on him in combat is satisfying.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I definitely used Team Dextro most of the time

:sicknasty::hf::tali:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

Really I would love to have Garrus on sniper overwatch or Tali hacking poo poo from the ship

Yeah, the Archive run in the Citadel DLC proved that something like that was at least feasible to make the whole team's presence felt and it's a little sad that that wasn't a consistent thing throughout the games.

I do find myself abusing the poo poo out of ce hench_picksquad on the PC version for ME1 a lot though to rotate folks in and out on the fly depending on the situation. And it's a drat shame you can't do the same in ME2 and 3 without breaking the game.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
The best thing in ME3 is your squad interacts with each other on the Normandy between missions instead of standing in their corners for the whole game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu9_HG_Nhck

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OhFunny posted:

The best thing in ME3 is your squad interacts with each other on the Normandy between missions instead of standing in their corners for the whole game.

That was the moment when I went "God, I wish Vega was there all the way from the start."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ShakeZula posted:

I wonder if they'll fix ME2 so you have access to all the dossiers at once. I've heard that the only reason they split it up was to accommodate disc space, which obviously wouldn't be an issue anymore

There's a mod for this and iirc most of the missions even had dialogue recorded. Like there's a ton of Legion dialogue for missions that it's impossible to take him on in an unmodded game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Nutt posted:

There's a mod for this and iirc most of the missions even had dialogue recorded. Like there's a ton of Legion dialogue for missions that it's impossible to take him on in an unmodded game.

Yeah, ME2Recalibrated lets Thane and Samara be recruited right after Freedom's Progress, and by extension unlocks Illium right from the start as well. Leigon, meanwhile, can be safely added into the party with a save editor at any time after Freedom's Progress as well and has dialog recorded for literally every mission in the game that will play without issue. The only caveats are you can't bring him to the Derelict Reaper or it will crash the game, and his Normandy idle dialog tree is locked until you beat his loyalty mission, so there's no point in going down to the AI core to visit him until then.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I was expecting some kind of 2001 type abstract/metaphorical/ambiguous ending, which is what we got except as lovely as possible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

I was expecting some kind of 2001 type abstract/metaphorical/ambiguous ending, which is what we got except as lovely as possible.

The original ending was based around what was set up in Tali's recruitment mission in ME2. The mass effect itself was literally causing the fabric of space to unravel thanks to all the dark energy it produced as a byproduct, and it was causing stars to age multitudes faster than they should and preventing new stars from forming, thus exponentially hastening the heat death of the universe.

The Reapers turned out to be a massive no-quater failsafe against this happening, designed to monitor the galaxy (maybe even the universe) for signs civilizations had figured out how to use the mass effect and then swoop in from dark space and obliterate them in order to tamp down on the use of the mass effect and buy the universe a little more time to exist on a grand scale.

The original ending would have been focused on the morality of continuing to use mass effect technology, the cost of developing alternatives, if that's even possible, grappling with the true nature of the reapers and the mass effect, and the question of whether or not the civilizations of the galaxy actually did deserve to die because they were literally killing the universe with their actions.

It was a global warming analogy.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

It was a global warming analogy.

that's really hamfisted and i'm glad we didn't get that.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

planning doesn't make or break an ending alone - the (star)child was written into ME3's intro and dream sequences long before any endgame crunch, and nobody likes that

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That also doesn't seem to fit with the fact that the Reapers' trap for galactic civilization specifically pushes societies towards using the mass effect.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

OhFunny posted:

See this was awesome BUT

For some reason they forgot to make Ashley move around the ship. She stays in Samara’s old room the whole game, gets drunk with Vega off screen, and never interacts with anyone. Real weird!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Gonna keep comin' to bat for ME:A i guess... but the game was real good about this. the squad hung out all over the ship. they'd move around, or spawn in different locations, and strike up conversations you could overhear and join in on. the ship also had a message board that updated (not frequently enough!) throughout the game.

then there was the fact that there was a buttload of dialogue recorded for every squad combofor when you were driving around planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Pattonesque posted:

See this was awesome BUT

For some reason they forgot to make Ashley move around the ship. She stays in Samara’s old room the whole game, gets drunk with Vega off screen, and never interacts with anyone. Real weird!

She's camping in there to avoid talking to the aliens because she's a space racist.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 7, 2021