Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the amount of time that rural !kung tribe teenagers spend w their parents is about triple what american teenagers spend

parents spend three times the time, they get better results. no relation w money spent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Who do you think is out in the streets getting poisoned by gas and burning police stations down?

Also, all the teenagers being 'apathetic' is really just being angry and depressed. Teens aren't actually just naturally moody and rebellious, their parents really are that poo poo.

Naturally rebellious? No. Naturally moody? Eh, a little bit, but their brains are being dicked around with by a shitload of hormones and they're trying to cope with that. Mood swings are a goddamn roller coaster from the inside, especially when you have no idea why it's happening.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Well, uh, yeah. There's always a reckoning. Gen-X was largely disaffected and unhappy with the world even when it was at a sort-of peak for anyone with a little money, until 9/11 scared all but the biggest diehards to get in line. Millennials were given grandiose and wildly unrealistic ambitions about "fixing" things until 2008-2010 or so hobbled us financially and spiritually. Zoomers have thus far coped with an irreverent, hopeful version of Gen X's nihilism, but like all nihilists are just smokescreening their own anxieties and no one but shitlickers are heartless enough to crush them, especially because their refocus on solidarity has actually gotten some Millennials to stop crying in the mirror for ten minutes.

Now this is some delicious GBS throwback poo poo. I mean it feels like something from a decade ago, like from 2019.

MILLENNIALS!!!!! :bahgawd:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I wonder if boomers and gen x could be said to have basically a generational golden child/scapegoat dynamic.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Batterypowered7 posted:

Booooomeeeeeers!

That's 20 years, I would think they were talking percentages but what about all the people who joined the workforce?

Also boomer or not that's pretty depressing. Number go up because we make our elderly work for scraps

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wonder if boomers and gen x could be said to have basically a generational golden child/scapegoat dynamic.

I’ll go with that. I can only speak from my own perception, but as an OG X-er, having boomers kinda run everything and inflict their bullshit on popular taste and social mores for the majority of my life helped make me pretty grumpy.
I’m definitely on Team Millennial in the boomers vs. millennial struggle, even if I don’t care for avocado toast and aren’t a fan of eating rear end.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

JnnyThndrs posted:

I’ll go with that. I can only speak from my own perception, but as an OG X-er, having boomers kinda run everything and inflict their bullshit on popular taste and social mores for the majority of my life helped make me pretty grumpy.
I’m definitely on Team Millennial in the boomers vs. millennial struggle, even if I don’t care for avocado toast and aren’t a fan of eating rear end.

The only real problem I have with millennials is their (our?) pop culture.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lib and let die posted:

What exactly? Feels like there's a good chance most of the poo poo you're bitching about is made by/for boomers.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Lib and let die posted:

Eh, pop culture’s always been geared toward the young and sneered at by the old. How *I * feel about it is irrelevant, it’s not geared to me, plus, it’s no worse than the crap that was around when I was young.

That’s one of the things that most irked me about Boomerism when I was a young adult: the unshakable(and loudly expressed) belief that THEIR pop culture wasn’t just a snapshot of the past which only applies to themselves, but an all-encompassing truism which the entire society needed to embrace.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

JnnyThndrs posted:

Eh, pop culture’s always been geared toward the young and sneered at by the old. How *I * feel about it is irrelevant, it’s not geared to me, plus, it’s no worse than the crap that was around when I was young.

That’s one of the things that most irked me about Boomerism when I was a young adult: the unshakable(and loudly expressed) belief that THEIR pop culture wasn’t just a snapshot of the past which only applies to themselves, but an all-encompassing truism which the entire society needed to embrace.

This exactly. It always bothered me that the sixties in particular were always held up as the pinnacle of music and rebellion (see: Rolling Stone magazine's obsession with the Beatles/Stones/Dylan/Motown) and everything that came after was trash. Their poo poo never seemed to leave the stage completely.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I had to spend the entire first 25 years of my life pretending I liked Led Zeppelin.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

The only real problem I have is with pop culture.

Outside of a brief and embarrassing moment in middle school when I was overly fond of Miami Vice, I have never liked pop culture. Since childhood, pop culture is something I was kind of aware of but mostly avoided, and that hasn't changed over the years. I feel just as out of touch with pop culture now as I did when I was 18.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
an out of tpuch goon?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

an out of tpuch goon?

I'm not touching you.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

mind the walrus posted:

I had to spend the entire first 25 years of my life pretending I liked Led Zeppelin.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Basically all boomer music is poo poo especially that one exception you like.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Batterypowered7 posted:

Booooomeeeeeers!
Looks like 2008 didn't touch boomer employment at all, and the pandemic barely did anything.

No wonder they think everything is okay.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JnnyThndrs posted:

If you eat enough rear end you can't even taste the avocado anymore

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ardlen posted:

Looks like 2008 didn't touch boomer employment at all, and the pandemic barely did anything.

Christ, this explains so much.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went through like four part time jobs in six months in 2008. I'd get hired somewhere and then they'd make their layoffs at about two months in and since I was usually the latest person to be hired I'd be the first to go.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boomers love to fire employees who have exceeded performance goals and received raises, then complain that overall performance has declined.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 7, 2021

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

Boomers love to fire employees who have exceeded performance goals and received raises, then complain that overall performance has declined.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That tracks with how Boomers have effectively hobbled their progeny. They're terrified of competition to the point where they will deliberately leave things worse than when they started as long as it means never having to eat crow.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Boomers love to laugh at every single Super Bowl commercial.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Pop culture killed my dog.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Beachcomber posted:

Pop culture killed my dog.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Ardlen posted:

The people whose job it is to decide that everything is fine and you all should come into work and no, you don't need PPE, you pansy are all boomers.

Also all the people whose retirements were unrecoverably destroyed in 2008 are boomers.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Batterypowered7 posted:

Booooomeeeeeers!

The more I see this the angrier I get as I graduated grad school in 2007 and then IMMEDIATELY was hosed

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Sarah Problem posted:

The more I see this the angrier I get as I graduated grad school in 2007 and then IMMEDIATELY was hosed

Remember when we were growing up teachers use to tell us that anyone could be the President of the United States?

lololololololololololol

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Boomers argue that college tuition should not be wiped clean because "what about all the people who paid it off! It's not fair!" but are the first fuckers to ask for military/AARP/any kind of discount.

Pointing out how they told us we absolutely 100% HAD TO GO TO COLLEGE and never once mentioned the trade schools they harp on so much now results in refusal of reality.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

Boomers love to laugh at every single Super Bowl commercial.

Boomers not only like the Bruce Springsteen Jeep Super Bowl ad, but think that meeting in the middle is actually a swell idea.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Cowslips Warren posted:

Boomers argue that college tuition should not be wiped clean because "what about all the people who paid it off! It's not fair!" [...]

I hate that one.

That I got hit by a truck is no argument for anyone else to be.

I hate that one a lot.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Batterypowered7 posted:

Booooomeeeeeers!
I like pointing out to the 60-65 year olds at work that really want to retire but can't because they need insurance for their wives no matter what...

They could retire if Bernie/healthcare was a thing.

Also free up some jobs for young folks.

Most are checking the markets every day too and haven't transitioned to safer investments in their last 5 working years, no correction/bubble it can only go up!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Pointing out how they told us we absolutely 100% HAD TO GO TO COLLEGE and never once mentioned the trade schools they harp on so much now results in refusal of reality.

According to what I read in this thread...... umm probably at least a few weeks ago now or maybe longer, trade schools are no good either.

Because a really skilled and highly employable tradesperson like an electrician (for example) can't afford a house in the Bay area, and the one boomer mechanic (again, for example) who works and owns a shop in Sodomy Nowhere Iowa (population 300) refuses to retire at 65.
Therefore there are no viable trade jobs anywhere in the country that will actually provide a stable, meaningful and well paying job for someone willing and able to do the work. So trade school is out too.

Sorry America, you're hosed.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

The people whose job it is to decide that everything is fine and you all should come into work and no, you don't need PPE, you pansy are all boomers.

These are also the same people in power who decided that everyone over 65 is automatically part of phase 1 of the covid vaccine rollout.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I like pointing out to the 60-65 year olds at work that really want to retire but can't because they need insurance for their wives no matter what...

They could retire if Bernie/healthcare was a thing.

Also free up some jobs for young folks.

Most are checking the markets every day too and haven't transitioned to safer investments in their last 5 working years, no correction/bubble it can only go up!

They should have moved their entire 401Ks to Gamestop stock for a week.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wesleywillis posted:

Because a really skilled and highly employable tradesperson like an electrician (for example) can't afford a house in the Bay area, and the one boomer mechanic (again, for example) who works and owns a shop in Sodomy Nowhere Iowa (population 300) refuses to retire at 65.

Sodomy Nowhere doesn't sound like a fun place to live.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

wesleywillis posted:

According to what I read in this thread...... umm probably at least a few weeks ago now or maybe longer, trade schools are no good either.

Therefore there are no viable trade jobs anywhere in the country that will actually provide a stable, meaningful and well paying job for someone willing and able to do the work. So trade school is out too.

Sorry America, you're hosed.

The modern world doesn't have homes for people to live in anymore, it has investments.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The modern world doesn't have homes for people to live in anymore, it has investments.

Quoting to try and remember and steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you buy a home in the sfba like 70% to 105% of the price is land value (like, the building can have negative value)

land value is created by a government existing there and by everyone else existing there. it's a tiny little share of the government's monopoly on violence. the only thing that changes about the world when you sign a property deed is that it's now legal to just call the cops on people existing on the location corresponding to the deed and nobody can call the cops on you for doing certain things on the location

so it's actually part and parcel of the general phenomena of cops and army contractors and other purveyors of violence getting paid more for doing their jobs shittier